Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
DC has this character. You might have heard of him. His name:

Now wiki describes Batman as this:

Wiki posted:

Batman is the secret identity of Bruce Wayne, an American billionaire, industrialist, and philanthropist. Having witnessed the murder of his parents as a child, he swore revenge on criminals, an oath tempered with the greater ideal of justice. Wayne trains himself both physically and intellectually and dons a bat-themed costume in order to fight crime.[6] Batman operates in the fictional Gotham City, assisted by various supporting characters including his crime-fighting partner, Robin, his butler Alfred Pennyworth, the police commissioner Jim Gordon, and occasionally the heroine Batgirl. He fights an assortment of villains, often referred to as the "rogues gallery," which includes the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler, Two-Face, Ra's al Ghul, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman, among many others. Unlike most superheroes, he does not possess any superpowers; he makes use of intellect, detective skills, science and technology, wealth, physical prowess, martial arts skills, an indomitable will, fear, and intimidation in his continuous war on crime.

but this is likely to change as Snyder re-invents Batman's origins, we will have a Secret Origins issue coming out soon that will probably contradict Snyder's Year Zero, and this is the Nu52 where all your old characters have new origins. So if you think know Batman, think again. Or don't. You might be right. By the way was his back every broken? Who knows?

With this (lack of)knowledge, onwards to the daunting task of going through the bazillion and counting Batman titles that DC releases. What's worth reading? How can Batman be on 3 teams at once (because he is secretly Wolverine in the nu52) and what do I, personally think of each title. To make this a little bit easier for you, I will list all titles (as of February 27, 2014) and tell you just how Batman it is (1 Batman is not very Batman-y, 5 Batman is ultimate Batman-y)

So onwards

BATMAN

Writer: Scott Snyder
Artist: Greg Capullo

Previous comics:
Court of Owls
Death of the Family

What's it about :
Well this is the main backbone of the Batman line, I guess. Basically every single crossover for the Bat family has been spearheaded by the events in this comic. First Snyder introduced the Court of Owls, then he did a horror comic starring a defaced Joker. Now he is re-inventing Batman's origin for the nu52. This is probably the biggest Bat title out there.

How Batman is it: Batman Batman Batman

Detective Comics

Writer: John Layman
Artist: Aaron Lopresti

What's it about :
Honestly I haven't read in Detective Comics. Actually I haven't really read many Batman titles outside of the main one. Oops. Anyway here is a wiki:

wiki posted:

Daniel wrote and penciled the series until the "Night of the Owls" crossover, at which point Ed Benes, Julio Ferreira, and Eduardo Pansica began drawing the series for a three issue arc.[62][63] The price of Detective Comics was increased due to the addition of a backup feature starring Batman villain Two-Face, which was written by Daniel and illustrated by Syzmon Kudranski, this followed a similar backup featuring Hugo Strange.[64] Daniel left the series with issue #12 being his last as writer and the "0" issue his last as penciller.[65]

DC celebrated the first anniversary of The New 52 in September 2012 by publishing a number "0" of each original New 52 title which act as prequels to the series and reveal previously unexplained plot elements.[66] Gregg Hurwitz wrote the "0" issue.[67] Hurwitz was approached by Daniel to write the "0" issue due to Daniel's busy schedule.[68][69] To follow up on the "Night of the Owls" elements in Detective Comics, Daniel wrote Detective Comics Annual #1 which was pencilled by Romano Molenaar and inked by Sandu Florea.[70]

Following Daniel's tenure on the series, John Layman became the new writer and Jason Fabok the new artist[71] with James Tynion IV writing the backup features and Syzmon Kudranski remaining as artist for Tynion's first feature. With issue #19 of Detective Comics vol. 2, released on April 3, 2013, the series reached 900 issues as combined with the first volume of the series, and was a special oversized celebratory issue. Under Layman, the series is set to launch its first crossover, Gothtopia. Following the crossover, Layman and Fabok will move to the Batman Eternal series and Detective Comics will be taken over by Brain Buccalleto and Francis Manapul.[72]
Ha. Daniels wrote an arc.

How Batman is it: Seeing that it still focuses on Batman

Batman and ?

Writer: Peter J. Tomasi
Artist: Patrick Gleason

What's it about :
This one I have read. Initially this was titled Batman and Robin. Then something happened to Robin. And now Batman is left without a partner (but plenty of young people still want to hang out with him which isn't creepy at all). Since Robin's....disappearance from the mortal plane, Batman has been teaming up with everyone he could to try fulfill the gap left by a young precocious whippersnapper. The current (and just concluded) arc involved Batman and Two-Face teaming up. It didn't end well. Next up though, Bats teams up with Frankenstein. Maybe Frankie can down a Robin costume.

How Batman is it: Well Batman still gets top billing so, but he has to share a bit of the spotlight now with not-Robins.

Batman Eternal

Writers: Scott Snyder, James T Tynion IV, John Layman, Ray Fawkes, Tim Seeley
Artists: Jason Fabok (and others)

What's it about :
No idea. This one comes out in April. All we know is that spoiler is going to be in it. And Catwoman is a crime kingpin because....

How Batman is it: This is going to be one of those "spine-book" things so it might not just focus on Batman so....

Batwoman

Writer: er........Marc Andreyko
Artist: gently caress...er...Jason Masters

What's it about :
Ah, the original "what the gently caress DC" book. Well not really. But some poo poo did hit fan thanks to some bad DC editorializing. Anyway, without the surrounding controversy Batwoman is about Kathy Kane aka Batwoman, who just so happens to be a lesbian but still gets equal treatment in the DCU by not being allowed to marry her significant other. Besides that, this title boasted some amazing artwork by J.H.Williams III before he was told he couldn't tell the stories he wanted to anymore. I kind of stopped reading slightly before that so I have no idea what is going on now. Did she face Killer Croc yet? Did Killer Croc even appear? Is Alice around?

How Batman is it: Well there is a Bat in the title, but I don't think Bats has done much.

Batgirl

Writer: Gail Simone (aka BSSS fave)
Artist: Fernando Pasarin

What's it about :
It's about fan-favourite Batgirl. No, not the plunky Stephanie Brown. No, not that kick rear end Cassandra Cain. We are talking about Barbara Gordon. Isn't she paralyzed? Nope. Not anymore. As for the comics itself, well it won't get talked about here much unless it is about "how much I hate Gail Simone because she is the worstest and I think all her comics should be put on fire and I wouldn't save her from a falling building and....". But yea, Batgirl is around now. Also she might have killed her brother.

How Batman is it: As Batman as...Gail Simone?

Nightwing

Writer: [Cancelled]
Artist: [cancelled]

What's it about :
Life got kind of sucky for Nightwing. Initially this title was about Nightwing, former Bats' sidekick, doing his own thing. Then poo poo happened in Forever Evil, and now Nightwing's title is soon to be no more.

How Batman is it: Well he was an awesome Batman for a while

Batwing

Writer: Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti
Artist: Eduardo Pansica

What's it about :
In a testament to the fact that you can put "Bat-"in a title and it will still continue, Batwing is a thing that still exists. From what I have heard the original Batwing was a man living in some made up African country who decided to end the corruption there. I assume he did because the new Batwing is Luscious Fox's son and he operate in Gotham.

How Batman is it: Well Gotham is the main area now, and he has Bat in the title...

Batman: Dark Knight

Writer: Gregg Hurwitz
Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

What's it about :
Holy poo poo. This title is still going. And I was just making jokes about Batwing above but this proves the point. Initially this was started as a vanity project for David Finch. Yes loving David Finch. Because of this title we got this:

What the hell is going on with the title now? No idea. I thought it was cancelled 3 years ago.

How Batman is it: The fact that is still around is testament to the strength and will power of Batman so it is a pretty great example of the character.

Batman '66

Writer: Jeff Parker
Artist: Various

What's it about :
Batman '66 is a loving homage to a simpler time. A time when Joker was more concerned with robbing a bake sale than removing his face and making murals out of human bodies. A time when Batman hung out in the Daytime, called everyone chum, and knew how to surf.

How Batman is it: It is either the most batman thing there is, or not violent and depressing enough

So there you have it. A shiny new Batman thread. And boo-radly is there plenty to discuss. Batman Eternity is going to hit the shelves soon. Batman Year Zero is onto its 3rd arc, Batwing and Batman: Dark Knight still exist. So discuss we must. Because like just like Batman never dies, neither does endless speculation, adulation, bitching and whining.

edit: There are several million other titles that fall under the Bat (some in the most tenuous ways ie sales reasons) but if you want to talk about Catwoman, Batman Beyond, Birds of Prey (which is still a thing)then go ahead. Also for some reason that can only be excused with the word "obsession" there is a Red Hood and the Outlaws thread. It is probably the best thread of the year, and probably should be the thread people go to to bitch about what the hell Starfire is wearing at the moment.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's worth noting for people that in April Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato are taking over Detective Comics and I've got really high hopes for the series. I put their "reinvention" of Flash up their with Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow relaunch, really good superhero books.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I thought The Dark Knight got cancelled. Did they change their minds at the last second?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

goldenoreos posted:

I thought The Dark Knight got cancelled. Did they change their minds at the last second?

I was at the DC website and they had solicits for March. I might still be cancelled but I thought it ended years ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If you take into account DC's grouping, there's a few titles missing from the OP: Birds of Prey, Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Red Hood.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Some things are better off being forgotten.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm surprised you mentioned Batman '66, but not Batman Beyond 2.0 since both are digital titles that are being printed. Particularly since Terry McGinnis is going to be introduced in nu52 during Future's End.

(Or am I the only one here who likes Batman Beyond?)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Here's the kind of new idea Batman need.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

lotus circle posted:

I'm surprised you mentioned Batman '66, but not Batman Beyond 2.0 since both are digital titles that are being printed. Particularly since Terry McGinnis is going to be introduced in nu52 during Future's End.

(Or am I the only one here who likes Batman Beyond?)

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If you take into account DC's grouping, there's a few titles missing from the OP: Birds of Prey, Harley Quinn, Catwoman and Red Hood.

I could list every single Bat title but if I did we would be here all day. However, I will edit the OP accordingly.

edit: OP edited right at the bottom to let people know that they can still talk about the hundred other Bat titles out there. Also to pimp the Red Hood thread.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 28, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

I could list every single Bat title but if I did we would be here all day. However, I will edit the OP accordingly.

edit: OP edited right at the bottom to let people know that they can still talk about the hundred other Bat titles out there. Also to pimp the Red Hood thread.

Awesome, and thanks for the publicity man :v:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Is this where I get angry about Nightwing losing his run? Cos I totally am.

Hopefully the poo poo that happens to him in Forever Evil has a good payoff and I can continue to see Dick Grayson as possibly another costumed hero.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Zakmonster posted:

Is this where I get angry about Nightwing losing his run? Cos I totally am.

Hopefully the poo poo that happens to him in Forever Evil has a good payoff and I can continue to see Dick Grayson as possibly another costumed hero.

Hello. Let's be friends.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I'm not angry because it means he won't be written by Higgins anymore. That entire run was such a waste of his character.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

I'm not angry because it means he won't be written by Higgins anymore. That entire run was such a waste of his character.

Him not being Batman is a waste of everything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dick had his go as Batman and is their own character. Him staying on as Batman would have been going against the whole point of his character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

Tynion IV is writing the finale. If there's a Dick relaunch coming, that might be a worse omen.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Tynion IV is writing the finale. If there's a Dick relaunch coming, that might be a worse omen.

:negative: I don't hate Snyder's Batman but I can't stand all his little proteges getting gigs because they've picked up all his bad habits seemingly without learning what makes his style successful.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Teenage Fansub posted:

Scott Lobdell finding himself with time on his hands is the worst of all omens.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Was Taters posted:

Hey now, at least Lobdell doesnt need twelve loving issues to tell a story or waste three issues to show off his fantastic 'original character, don't steal' brainchild.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 3, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Why do that in a single title when you can do it in crossovers?

Was Taters posted:

Have we gotten a Scott Lodbell written and Finch drawn book yet?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 3, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

To be fair to Lobdell he's probably too busy harassing women at cons.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ Why do that in a single title when you can do it in crossovers?

Or a seven-year slog?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Have we gotten a Scott Lodbell written and Finch drawn book yet?
Not lately, buuuuuuuut

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Arkham War had a decent ending but also made clear that it was padded to hell, it left a few plots hangin and the art could've been better but at least it gave us this sweet mix of Hardy and Comic's Bane:

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
I used to love reading Batman comics, but gave up when it seemed that they just all became pretty terrible.

The last big arc I enjoyed was Grant Morrison's run - I enjoyed the death and return of Bruce Wayne, then found the start of Batman Incorporated alright but a bit up and down, and I bailed out near the beginning of that when there was a huge delay between issues. I read some of Scott Snyder's Court of Owls and thought it was alright, read some of that lovely comic out at the same time where Joker cut his face off, and basically haven't gone back since.

I've read through the OP and thread but does anyone have any recommendations as to which of those titles, if any, are actually any good? And which comics in that time were decent? I.e. don't have stupid moments like the "One Face" panel posted, and are well written and enjoyable.

Thanks!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I really didn't care for the Death of the Family arc but I think Zero Year is actually really good. Just stick to the main series starting at #21. You should also go back and finish reading Batman Incorporated since it's all done now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Did you read Snyder's Detective Comics run with Dick-as-Bats?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In the nu52 my two cents is Snyder's run is pretty solid, and Batman and ? has been good but a tad uneven. Unless a miracle happened stay away from Dark Knight.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Chris! posted:

I used to love reading Batman comics, but gave up when it seemed that they just all became pretty terrible.

The last big arc I enjoyed was Grant Morrison's run - I enjoyed the death and return of Bruce Wayne, then found the start of Batman Incorporated alright but a bit up and down, and I bailed out near the beginning of that when there was a huge delay between issues. I read some of Scott Snyder's Court of Owls and thought it was alright, read some of that lovely comic out at the same time where Joker cut his face off, and basically haven't gone back since.

I've read through the OP and thread but does anyone have any recommendations as to which of those titles, if any, are actually any good? And which comics in that time were decent? I.e. don't have stupid moments like the "One Face" panel posted, and are well written and enjoyable.

Thanks!

The only post-reboot "Bat" title I can wholly recommend in good faith is Batwoman Issues #1-24 (collected in four volumes with the last coming out next month - also refer to pre-New 52 collection titled Batwoman: Elegy), but Batwoman isn't Batman so if that's what you're looking for and Snyder's Batman didn't float your boat here are some other options:

1) Batman And...
This Peter Tomasi/Pat Gleason series, originally titled Batman and Robin has been consistently good. It's subject to a fair amount of crossovers but the art style alone is enough to keep me coming back. Read this if you want stubbled, angry Bruce yelling at people.

2) Batman: The Dark Knight
This is the title that you mentioned with the idiotic One Face panel at the end of issue #1. Fortunately, Gregg Hurwitz took over as of issue 10 and started telling stories about Batman fighting against his gallery of enemies, moving from one to the next. I think he's covered Mad Hatter, Clayface, and now it's on to a Man-Bat story. If you like that sort of thing, these issues are at least passable.

3) Detective Comics
I don't read this, as far as I know it's the worst of the titles with Batman as the star. If you want to see Bruce being smart or any sort of detective, you're essentially limited to Snyder at this point in time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chris! posted:

Thanks!

The title you should be reading is Batman 66.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I'm getting stupid excited for Manapal and Buccaleto to take over Tec already. I'm basically only buying Batman for Capullo at this point so it'll be nice to have a Batbook that I'm invested in emotionally again.

God drat if Zero Year hasn't been colored amazingly, though. Really worth it for those colors.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

spacejung posted:

3) Detective Comics
I don't read this, as far as I know it's the worst of the titles with Batman as the star. If you want to see Bruce being smart or any sort of detective, you're essentially limited to Snyder at this point in time.

I'll go to bat (heh) Detective Comics. Most people gave up on that book because Tony Daniel is a terrible writer and never looked back, but John Layman, who is not a terrible writer, penned a pretty good rollercoaster of a run where Batman did all the things you'd expect Batman to do but where things built up in the background, so there was a nice little slow burn effect going on, which is always fun. If you gave up on Tec because it became an endless game of "how much more grimdark can I get this time?", do know that the Fabok/Layman run, which starts on #13, is pretty much not that, and so the book was very much a good read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You gotta do Batwoman.
The pre-boot 'Batwoman: Elegy' trade, New 52 series. Even if you gotta jump off where the original guys left it hanging when they left, it's well worth it.

I actually liked the last issue. I think new team is warming up to it.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Thanks for the recommendations and advice guys. I will check out the rest of the Court of Owls story, then skip the Joker story in favour of going straight to Zero Year - and I'll also finish Morrison's run, finally.

When I grew up my favourite was Shadow of the Bat, written by Alan Grant and (mostly) drawn by Norm Breyfogle, plus Legends of the Dark Knight, and the regular Detective Comics and Batman books always seemed to be pretty good as well. And the Knightfall arc, which I thought was awesome at the time.

I imagine most of my fondness for all of these is rose tinted memories though...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chris! posted:

I imagine most of my fondness for all of these is rose tinted memories though...
Nah, that's probably my favorite era of Batbooks as well.

VVVVV and that too!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 6, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chris! posted:

Thanks for the recommendations and advice guys. I will check out the rest of the Court of Owls story, then skip the Joker story in favour of going straight to Zero Year - and I'll also finish Morrison's run, finally.

When I grew up my favourite was Shadow of the Bat, written by Alan Grant and (mostly) drawn by Norm Breyfogle, plus Legends of the Dark Knight, and the regular Detective Comics and Batman books always seemed to be pretty good as well. And the Knightfall arc, which I thought was awesome at the time.

While those were all pretty solid titles (especially Legends of the Dark Knight), I will be so freaking happy when DC finally releases this monster 90's Batman collection.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Batman had a ton of good poo poo going for him in the 90s. You could say he was a natural fit for the ~dark age of comics~

Edit: I mean, the original 40s stuff was gritty and grotty as all hell, and unlike Superman he didn't have a core of New Deal social optimism to seamlessly carry him over to the sunny, postwar 50s. I haven't actually gotten to the transitional period in my personal comics archaeology project, but the damage done to his existing core character necessary to make him fit the new dominant tone of the times was probably similar to the damage done to Superman over the last couple decades in order to make him fit the current tone of depressing, nihilistic sub-gothic horror.

Edit 2: and as fun as camp TV Batman is, he is fundamentally similar to Superdick Superman, in that the creators felt that it was no longer possible to tell the kinds of stories the characters were originally created for, so random new poo poo had to be invented. (Ignoring that comics Batman actually had a mini-gothic-reboot-revival shortly afterwards.)

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 7, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I highly recomend checking out this week's Batman '66, which tells the story of Alfred's evil cousin. It's pretty amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

I highly recomend checking out Batman '66. It's pretty amazing.

I am pretty sure this is what you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure this is what you mean

Naturally, but this week especially.

I can't wait for them to start introducing more "new" characters. So far they've used Red Hood, Dr. Harleen Quinzel, Batwoman and Killer Croc. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

• Locked thread