Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So there's a Facebook group for retailers and people in the comics retail industry. Marvel and DC have numerous reps in there one of whom is Phil Boyle who works for Marvel. And the dude is like 'YO YOU GUYS YOU NEED TO UP YOUR ORDERS ON THE X-MEN BOOKS CUZ NOBODY ORDERED ANYWHERE CLOSE TO ENOUGH THESE ARE KILLER LAUNCHES DON'T MISS OUT" and basically says the X-Men relaunch is going to be the hottest sellers of the year based on their market research. Not too many people seem to be biting, instead sticking with their cautious numbers because the last launch didn't do anything close to what the hype machine said it was. So yeah, he asks the group "WHAT CAN WE DO TO GET YOU TO DOUBLE DOWN ON THESE BOOKS?"

And I chimed in with a simple "How about making them 100% returnable?"

And the motherfucker blocked me.

This is nothing new, David Gabriel went on an angry rant about how DC Rebirth's returnability was an unfair undercut and called double shipped a foolish venture. Surprise surprise, a bunch of the new X books are double shipping. Marvel's marketing dept must be all on the edge of termination if they don't get their sales numbers up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Being able to return items is a pretty important part of the purchasing cycle, I understand that they need to hold on to their money but geez.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HIJK posted:

Being able to return items is a pretty important part of the purchasing cycle, I understand that they need to hold on to their money but geez.

The bulk of comics are not returnable at all. DC making Rebirth 100% returnable was amazing and allowed us to make a shitload of cash and ditch the bad sellers. And despite what some loudmouthed retailers claim, the sold books dwarfed the returns.

If Marvel wanted this launch to be a hit with retailers they'd have made some portion returnable. Say, match your order for X-Men Gold #1 with you order for All New X-Men #1 and anything over that is fully returnable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chickenwalker posted:

So what is the deal with this? We went from basically no X books to now we have a bajillion? What is the main one to follow? Is Cyclops definitely dead?

While there's been plenty of X-stuff published, there's been a sentiment that the X-men are sealed off in their own corner the Marvel Universe because of the whole Fox thing, and that Marvel wants to "replace" them with the Inhumans. Personally, I feel that X-men work better when they ARE in their own corner of the MU, and I'm really not sure how much credibility there is to the conspiracy theory, but this relaunch is probably a deliberate attempt to counter that perception.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It seems like in the rush to prove that "X-Men are a thing again," they're just launching a billion zillion titles that seems even more excessive than the '90s X-Men heights. I want to give things a fresh shot, but after the last few years of X-Men I really can't muster the enthusiasm to even try more than a few of them. Given the fan enthusiasm level for X-Men and the current sales figures of new Marvel comics, the idea that there's this huge groundswell of enthusiasm and the books are going to sell a ton rings false as hell. Even if there was any enthusiasm for the X-books, would that be enough to sustain an Iceman solo book, a Jean Grey solo book, and a Cable solo book in addition to all the others?

Then again, the heads are back in the upper-left corners of the team books and I'm undoubtedly going to try out Generation X and the main X-Men team books just based on nostalgia alone. Perhaps they know what they're doing to some extent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Word behind the scenes is that Perlmutter's control and influence were called out after he got booted from the film division and he has no actual power so Marvel is putting their house back in order.

SUPPOSEDLY there's going to be a single page ad in the June shipping books of a hand holding up a single finger. Then in July two, in August three and October Four.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Word behind the scenes is that Perlmutter's control and influence were called out after he got booted from the film division and he has no actual power so Marvel is putting their house back in order.

SUPPOSEDLY there's going to be a single page ad in the June shipping books of a hand holding up a single finger. Then in July two, in August three and October Four.

My enthusiasm for a new FF book would depend entirely on whose writing it. I don't know whose not currently busy, would be good at it, and hasn't done it before.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Endless Mike posted:

Not really? They're not top sellers, but they're mostly selling a respectable 30-40k, which is more than any Inhumans or Avengers title.
I don't know numbers or maths or sales or any of that hoity-toity stuff :colbert:, but I think DC's bi-weekly titles mighty be making Marvel numbers look worse than it actually is? Like, sure, the best-selling X-Men book (not counting IvX) came in at 60th place in February, which seems insane, but then you consider that there's like a dozen DC titles that take up two slots per month on the top 100, so really that X-book should be around the mid-40s or so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know numbers or maths or sales or any of that hoity-toity stuff :colbert:, but I think DC's bi-weekly titles mighty be making Marvel numbers look worse than it actually is? Like, sure, the best-selling X-Men book (not counting IvX) came in at 60th place in February, which seems insane, but then you consider that there's like a dozen DC titles that take up two slots per month on the top 100, so really that X-book should be around the mid-40s or so.
There's that, but there's also the fact that Uncanny used to be a top 10 book pretty much every month, so even mid-40s is a pretty big drop for the franchise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

There's that, but there's also the fact that Uncanny used to be a top 10 book pretty much every month, so even mid-40s is a pretty big drop for the franchise.

When was the last time that was true though? Gotta be before the first time they relaunched it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe if Marvel was putting out X-books people actually wanted to read the sales wouldn't be poo poo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm really excited for the ResurreXion because other than Wolverine, the line is in pretty dire straights and I am an unapologetic X-Fanboy. None of the books are that interesting, partially because nothing loving happened in any of the books because of all the lovely crossovers the X-Men have been lashed to. The only thing in one of the team books that really stands out is that Bobby and his boyfriend are super-cute and Pickles is awesome. There is just nowhere for the line to go but up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maybe if Marvel was putting out X-books people actually wanted to read the sales wouldn't be poo poo.

I dunno, even the good books tend to do poorly, remember the most recent X-Men Legacy? because no one else does. Yes, I'm aware it's currently being very loosely adapted into a critically acclaimed TV show, I was referring to its readership when it came out and also making a joke about the ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh well I was talking about the three books right now.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I too am an unapologetic X-Fanboy and I dropped all three of the current main books well before IvX. Not super excited about any of the new books either, and I doubt half of them make it to ten issues (Blue and Gold will, obviously; being the new flagship books gives them this guarantee even if sales suck). I like the idea of Gen X but the cast is super boring except for Quentin.

Also the only thing "Legion" has in common with X-Men Legacy is the main character's name. Which isn't a knock against it- it's the best X-Media out right now besides the current Wolverine run.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm curious who is clamoring for more original x-men stuff. the nicest thing i can say about them is that not every book they were in was terrible.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

So yeah, he asks the group "WHAT CAN WE DO TO GET YOU TO DOUBLE DOWN ON THESE BOOKS?"
Maybe launch your flagship books with someone more inspired than Marc Guggenheim and Cullen Bunn writing them. Also stop giving Greg Land work.

Some of the solo or side books look good but I'm going to wait and see on them. My enjoyment of X-Books in recent years has been the stuff that nobody read like Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy and X-Force.

Skwirl posted:

My enthusiasm for a new FF book would depend entirely on whose writing it.
Bring back the Allred FF.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm curious who is clamoring for more original x-men stuff. the nicest thing i can say about them is that not every book they were in was terrible.

I like the idea of the O5 in the modern era, I'd just like to see anything done with them. Part of their problem was Bendis' decision to send Kitty Pryde into space without warning because they were set narratively adrift and have never really recovered from that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Launching 18 books just in hopes they fail to get rid of mutants forever? That's evil. That's not even human.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

My enthusiasm for a new FF book would depend entirely on whose writing it. I don't know whose not currently busy, would be good at it, and hasn't done it before.

Al Ewing.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I was a hardcore X-fan from 1983 until the late 00's - I stuck through a bunch of garbage before finally jumping ship entirely in the San Francisco era. The idea of the Original 5 moved forward to the present era and co-existing alongside future versions of themselves is so dumb and embarrassing that it's kept me from even considering coming back. That's fanfic-level plotting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/status/843867922246205440

I almost replied to this with something like, "You couldn't help but be an improvement."

(McGuire's novels as "Mira Grant" are pretty decent.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wanderer posted:

https://twitter.com/seananmcguire/status/843867922246205440

I almost replied to this with something like, "You couldn't help but be an improvement."

(McGuire's novels as "Mira Grant" are pretty decent.)

Go ahead, I'm sure she'd be delighted to hear it.

(disclaimer: Seanan's a friend of mine)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Go ahead, I'm sure she'd be delighted to hear it.

(disclaimer: Seanan's a friend of mine)

In a world where Guggenheim has a flagship title, there's nowhere to go but up.

That isn't a compliment for McGuire so much as a backhanded Guggenheim slam. Nobody needs that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guggenheim sure gets work, somehow.

SMP
May 5, 2009

So I've been digging into Wolverine stuff after seeing Logan, and uh, are there any good Claremont Wolverine stories that aren't racist as hell? The mini-series with Miller was alright, but pushing it. I read the first two issues of his first ongoing though, and god drat. Everyone looks like WW2 propaganda, the term "dragon lady" is used unironically, and white women are constantly under the threat of rape from seedy Asian men with pointy ears.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SMP posted:

So I've been digging into Wolverine stuff after seeing Logan, and uh, are there any good Claremont Wolverine stories that aren't racist as hell? The mini-series with Miller was alright, but pushing it. I read the first two issues of his first ongoing though, and god drat. Everyone looks like WW2 propaganda, the term "dragon lady" is used unironically, and white women are constantly under the threat of rape from seedy Asian men with pointy ears.

If you're just looking for Claremont stuff those are probably the big two right there. Besides that, you've got some individual issues, like #133 during the Dark Phoenix Saga, aka the story that made Wolverine Wolverine, or #205, which is his duel with Lady Deathstrike illustrated by Barry Windsor-Smith.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The first Wolverine solo mini is also very good, the second one with Kitty, not so much.

As I follow characters more than anything else, has there been any X-books annouced that feature Magik in them? I would have thought she would be in Gold, but she's not, maybe only one of Kitty's girlfriends can be on a team at once.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Magik is great in the original run on New Mutants; she's a main character for a good 60 issues or so. That's really the high-water mark for her, unfortunately. She hasn't been too interesting since her resurrection, though Kieron Gillen's run from the end of Uncanny Vol. 1 through the end of Uncanny Vol. 2 (so basically, Fear Itself, Avengers v X-Men and some non-crossover stuff in between) comes close but just misses the mark of making her a fascinating character again. It's a really great run on the whole, though.

Her prominence lately seems to come less from writers being interested in her character and more from the fact that she can teleport around the world.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And in Uncanny it meant they could just draw 1 blonde woman and get 2 characters out of it.

That's efficiency!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, man. I'm about 90% on board with Bachalo, but giving him characters that look and dress that similar was ROUGH.

http://imgur.com/a/gwkWC

The other artists didn't have as tough a time with it but there were still problems there.

I don't remember, did the Cuckoos show up in Uncanny around that time? They dress differently at least, but put them all together and you've got Emma Frost, three clones of her, and a girl basically drawn as a clone of her, all on the same page.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did, but 2 of them changed their hair colors after not too long.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Illyana has that weird headdress thing, plus Emma's outfit was more boobalicious. Though yea, Bachalo is really bad at drawing different womens faces. The issues with Anka drawing Emma and Illyana look different enough, she even looks slavic which you see rarely.

I've read basically everything with her, except the issues closest to her resurrection (which is weird because I thought after a lot of work I thought I'd managed to read everything that was between the 2000s rebirth of the X-line and AvsX).

Thing is in Astonishing she seemed to be getting a personality that was beyond Team Bus, thought even Bendis did that too with showing her being trained by Doctor Strange in her magical abilities. Just odd she's not in any of the current solicits except for issue 3 of Secret Warriors. Maybe she has a solo series that hasn't been announced yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unlikely the unannounced stuff are solos. The only reason to hold the announcements back is if the teams or initial arcs involve story elements that only came about recently.

So unless it's Havok and/or Emma Frost solos, they're probably team books.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

While there's been plenty of X-stuff published, there's been a sentiment that the X-men are sealed off in their own corner the Marvel Universe because of the whole Fox thing, and that Marvel wants to "replace" them with the Inhumans. Personally, I feel that X-men work better when they ARE in their own corner of the MU, and I'm really not sure how much credibility there is to the conspiracy theory, but this relaunch is probably a deliberate attempt to counter that perception.

Regardless of what some bleeding cool haters and Bendis said this was absolutely the intent for the past 3 years. X-men were removed from just about all merchandise and images, the comics were giving really lame creative teams and were treated as second class compared to the inhuman who got a huge market push. X-Men were a cornerstone for Marvrl for decades and were noticeably throw to the side in favor of Avengers, Inhumans, and Guardians. Same thing happened with the Fantastic Four (except their fate was much worse)

Mr President fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 24, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Fantastic Four got it a lot worse since there are significantly fewer FF fans than there are X-men fans. People just don't really care about them for the most part so they just shrug their shoulders and move on. I'm pretty sure that most of the complaints about Marvel trying to push the Fantastic Four out of the way came from X-fans who are afraid that the same thing might happen to their franchise.

Anyway, good to see Marvel ease up on the anti-fox stuff a bit.

Rochallor posted:

I don't remember, did the Cuckoos show up in Uncanny around that time? They dress differently at least, but put them all together and you've got Emma Frost, three clones of her, and a girl basically drawn as a clone of her, all on the same page.

Dazzler was featured fairly prominently in that run as well. Way too many blondes in one comic considering the main artist was really bad at distinguishing them. (Anka did a great job though)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr President posted:

Regardless of what some bleeding cool haters and Bendis said this was absolutely the intent for the past 3 years. X-men were removed from just about all merchandise and images, the comics were giving really lame creative teams and were treated as second class compared to the inhuman who got a huge market push. X-Men were a cornerstone for Marvrl for decades and were noticeably throw to the side in favor of Avengers, Inhumans, and Guardians. Same thing happened with the Fantastic Four (except their fate was much worse)

So Bendis and Lemire are considered lame creative teams?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah the Fantastic Four, pushed out to being the springboard book of The Event of 2016. Just like how the X-men were marginalized into having a full dozen books. drat that vindictive Marvel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comics don't make money only merchandise matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

So Bendis and Lemire are considered lame creative teams?

Don't engage Mr. President.

• Locked thread