Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Comics don't make money only merchandise matters.

This. Until very recently you couldn't even get an X-Men t-shirt and they edited the X-Men out of various pieces of artwork that they used on shirts.

But let's pretend that it didn't happen and that there were toy lines for the last three X-Men films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

This. Until very recently you couldn't even get an X-Men t-shirt and they edited the X-Men out of various pieces of artwork that they used on shirts.

But let's pretend that it didn't happen and that there were toy lines for the last three X-Men films.

That's totally separate from the conspiracy theory of trying to wipe out the X-men from the actual comic line, though. That's just Marvel not wanting to sell merch they have to split profits for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I bought a Days of Future Past shirt last year and the Con I got it had had tons of X-men shirts, including ones that featured fairly recent artwork.

But there was a long time between Legends sets that had X-men wasn't there?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it actually licensed though? There's tons of unlicensed shirts at conventions.

The most recent officially licensed X-Men shirt I've seen was with the cover of Bendis Uncanny #1, that's a few years back now.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Last year there was a Marvel t-shirt at Target which in the display featured Cap, Ironman, Thor, Spiderman, Hulk, AND Wolverine. I thought cool, an X-Man, finally. I bought the shirt, but when I got home, I found that Wolverine was actually replaced with Luke Cage on the real shirt.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's Pop Vinyls, and there's an exclusive Iceman coming out next month in their Specialty Series.

EDIT: Walgreens just got a Juggernaut exclusive this month as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IUG posted:

There's Pop Vinyls, and there's an exclusive Iceman coming out next month in their Specialty Series.

EDIT: Walgreens just got a Juggernaut exclusive this month as well.

Yeah, late last year they swung the doors back open.

It's not just vinyls but I've also seen the Dorbz and Mystery Minis too (also Funko but different stylings.)

The only thing that really kept going during the crackdown a few years ago were statues. Sideshow released and announced several X-Men even during the real locked down periods. Kotobukiya made some too. Some other companies had their stuff cancelled though so it wasn't universal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That's totally separate from the conspiracy theory of trying to wipe out the X-men from the actual comic line, though. That's just Marvel not wanting to sell merch they have to split profits for.

It all came from the same place, Perlmutter.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
These new comics are going to suck aren't they.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HIJK posted:

These new comics are going to suck aren't they.

At least half of them will.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

So Bendis and Lemire are considered lame creative teams?

Bendis started on X-men in 2013 before this Fox thing became a huge deal also he has so much clout with Marvel editorial they just let him do and say whatever they want.

Lemire absolutely was treated lame considering his big X-Men book he was paired with Humberto Ramos and it was basically an Inhumans tie-in book right from the start.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

It's not a conspiracy. They used Secret Wars to get rid of the Fantastic Four in 2015 and it's very obvious from the huge push for the Inhumans that came from both the comics and television divison that they were meant as a hasty replacement for the mutants and I absolutely believe Rich Johnson (who whether you like it or not does get insider information) that there was talk at Marvel of using the terrigen cloud to either move the X-Men to there own reality or make them a smaller marginalized part of the Marvel Universe. Why would anyone even dispute that? Look how often Marvel bends over backwards to make the comics more like the movies regardless if it makes sense (compare the Guardians of the Galaxy from 2008 or even 2013 to how they are portrayed now for example).

They shoved the X-men away, it backfired and now sales are suffering (for a variety of reasons) and that's why there doing this huge Resurection marketing push.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr President posted:

It's not a conspiracy. They used Secret Wars to get rid of the Fantastic Four in 2015 and it's very obvious from the huge push for the Inhumans that came from both the comics and television divison that they were meant as a hasty replacement for the mutants and I absolutely believe Rich Johnson (who whether you like it or not does get insider information) that there was talk at Marvel of using the terrigen cloud to either move the X-Men to there own reality or make them a smaller marginalized part of the Marvel Universe. Why would anyone even dispute that? Look how often Marvel bends over backwards to make the comics more like the movies regardless if it makes sense (compare the Guardians of the Galaxy from 2008 or even 2013 to how they are portrayed now for example).

They shoved the X-men away, it backfired and now sales are suffering (for a variety of reasons) and that's why there doing this huge Resurection marketing push.

Please source your Bleeding Cool quotes.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Maltose posted:

Please source your Bleeding Cool quotes.

I didn't actually quote anything but uh here you go

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/07/so-what-happens-to-the-x-men-after-secret-wars-spoilers/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I was a hardcore X-fan from 1983 until the late 00's - I stuck through a bunch of garbage before finally jumping ship entirely in the San Francisco era. The idea of the Original 5 moved forward to the present era and co-existing alongside future versions of themselves is so dumb and embarrassing that it's kept me from even considering coming back. That's fanfic-level plotting.

I have a similar mindset but mostly have just hung around.

I had the same reaction to the O5 coming back but honestly it's been okay. Not the worst thing that's happened recently. Like Jean is pretty distinct (albeit s terrible person).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr President posted:

Bendis started on X-men in 2013 before this Fox thing became a huge deal also he has so much clout with Marvel editorial they just let him do and say whatever they want.

Lemire absolutely was treated lame considering his big X-Men book he was paired with Humberto Ramos and it was basically an Inhumans tie-in book right from the start.

Also it sucked. Lemire can't do teams.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Marvel totally tried to downplay X-Men, but they weren't purposely sabotaging the franchise. If I was an editor, there's more incentive to be the guy that inspired a Squirrel Girl movie than be the architect of the latest X-Men movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah they got rid of the Fantastic Four which is why Dr. Doom is starring in a comic book that also features Thing, and Human Torch is in one of those Inhumans books that was totally made just so Marvel can completely remove the X-Men from their comics line.

Really, relaunching X-Men three times in as many years was just a big conspiracy to get people to stop buying X-Men comics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Putting Johnny with the Inhumans was basically proof that they don't care about him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In most peoples minds Doctor Doom is not specifically a Fantastic 4 villian, but a Marvel Villain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Putting Johnny with the Inhumans was basically proof that they don't care about him.

Johnny is usually the least interesting member of FF, I suppose.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

In most peoples minds Doctor Doom is not specifically a Fantastic 4 villian, but a Marvel Villain.

Since when?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Since when?

Ever since Luke Cage owned him in his own castle.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Since when?

Since, like, the 60s, man. He fought Spidey back in Stan & Steve's run on ASM.

I mean, yes, he debuted in Fantastic Four and will always be associated with them, but he's the one villain who pretty much you could use as an antagonist in any book. I think off the top of head, the only other one is Dracula.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, yes, he debuted in Fantastic Four and will always be associated with them, but he's the one villain who pretty much you could use as an antagonist in any book. I think off the top of head, the only other one is Dracula.

I always think of Secret Wars as the real moment when Doom transcended the FF as just one of their villains. Of course he'd shown up as a villain to other heroes previously, but that to me was the moment when they made him the biggest villain in the MU.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think if we're honest with ourselves, Dracula is 100% an X-Men villain.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

rantmo posted:

He's also starting to be a big one for Deadpool. Of course, Deadpool is someone that some people regard as an X-Man (but the X-Men don't).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

It always comes back to Reed Richards.

Always. Doom's entire existence is focused on destroying Reed. Until recently anyways.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah they got rid of the Fantastic Four which is why Dr. Doom is starring in a comic book that also features Thing, and Human Torch is in one of those Inhumans books that was totally made just so Marvel can completely remove the X-Men from their comics line.

Really, relaunching X-Men three times in as many years was just a big conspiracy to get people to stop buying X-Men comics.

Uh they only "relaunched" x men once since All-New X-Men and it was part of a linewide relaunch and the book itself got very little fanfar. Not sure what Bendis, Marvels MVP, being allowed to use fantastic four characters in the background has much to do with anything either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PaybackJack posted:

I always think of Secret Wars as the real moment when Doom transcended the FF as just one of their villains. Of course he'd shown up as a villain to other heroes previously, but that to me was the moment when they made him the biggest villain in the MU.

That's what I'd say too. Doom was introduced in FF and Reed will always be his nemesis, but he has gone up against everyone enough times he can be seen as The Villain. The other big guys tend to stay in their own books and it's special when Magneto tangles with the Avengers or Red Skull tries to take out Spider-Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

rantmo posted:

That's not the real Dracula.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PaybackJack posted:

Even before that, he was the villain in one of the Superman meets Spider-Man crossovers because Shooter reasoned that DC were using their greatest hero so Marvel should use their greatest villain.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr. Doom would make the best Superman villain, which is why several writers have tried and failed to create a Dr. Doom analogue for DC.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Lurdiak posted:

That's not the real Dracula.

The one that hooked up with storm?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

The one that hooked up with storm?

Had to sink the Demeter somehow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The new Astonishing X-Men is, in an attempt to completely sink the brand and force Marvel to stop publishing X-Men comics, going to have a different artist for each issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Franklin totally hosed up after Secret Wars and forgot about the time displaced X-Men didn't he? I imagine he created a whole other X-Men in the past and that's why they can't go back. Dammit Franklin after this and Jessica Jones and Ultimates 2 it's clear that you're not paying attention to the details.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

X-O posted:

So Franklin totally hosed up after Secret Wars and forgot about the time displaced X-Men didn't he? I imagine he created a whole other X-Men in the past and that's why they can't go back. Dammit Franklin after this and Jessica Jones and Ultimates 2 it's clear that you're not paying attention to the details.

The whole Secret Empire WWII history is a bit sloppy on his part too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
It's like how Terry Pratchett created the Time Monks and had them fiddle with the flow of time to explain all the little discrepencies between Discworld books and it was funny and inventive and interesting and then Marvel did it and made it unfunny and not clever at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

He is 10 years old

• Locked thread