Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

PlatinumGames Inc. was formed on August 1, 2006 and is based in Osaka, Japan. It more or less sprung out of Capcom's defunct Clover Studios (Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand), with numerous former employees of Clover serving as the bulk of the workforce in Platinum. So far, the games developed by PlatinumGames Inc. have been generally regarded as very fine games with a steep learning curve. There was quite a bit of depth, but integral mechanics were either vaguely explained or their importance was downplayed by tutorials. Nonetheless, if you're in to fast paced action games and you have patience for difficulty curves, or you have the restraint to know when to switch to Easy, then you can't go wrong with Platinum.

Games (release dates, console info, and blurbs mostly gathered from Platinum's official website)

Madworld
Released: 2010年2月10日 (Japan); March 10, 2009 (North America); 20 March 2009 (Europe)
Platform: Nintendo Wii
Genre: Bloodbath Action

Welcome to Varrigan City. Driven into quarantine and chaos by the outbreak of a deadly virus, ‘survival of the fittest’ takes on a whole new meaning as trapped citizens are pitted against each other in the gruesome sports show, “Death Watch.”

Bayonetta
Released: 2009年10月29日 (JPN); January 5, 2010 (NA); 10 January 2010 (EU)
Platforms: Playstation 3, Xbox 360
Genre: ∞ Climax Action

A witch with powers beyond the comprehension of mere mortals, Bayonetta faces-off against countless angelic enemies, many reaching epic proportions, in a game of 100% pure, unadulterated all-out action.

Vanquish
Released: 2010年10月21日 (JPN); October 19, 2010 (NA); 22 October 2010 (EU)

Directed by Shinji Mikami, the creator of the Resident Evil series, Vanquish is a sci-fi shooter that sees players take the role of Sam, a government agent kitted out with a futuristic battle suit. A versatile fighter with a huge arsenal of weaponry at his disposal, Sam also has an array of martial arts skills that he can use to take down his robot enemies.

Anarchy Reigns
Released: 2012年7月5日 (JPN); January 8, 2013 (NA); 11 January 2013 (EU)

With Anarchy Reigns, PlatinumGames uses their hallmark creativity and technical excellence to challenge the boundaries of the conventional brawler genre by allowing multiple players to get involved in heavy-hitting action simultaneously. Anarchy Reigns incorporates a diverse range of multiplayer modes to provide players with different challenges, including Tag Team battles and Battle Royal, where players can challenge others in a full-on fight for victory.

Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE
Released: 2013年2月21日 (JPN); February 19, 2013 (NA); 21 February 2013 (EU)
Platforms: Playstation 3, Xbox 360, :pcgaming: PC :pcgaming:

Konami Kojima Productions in the east and PlatinumGames in the west. These two world-class powerhouses among Japanese studios have combined forces to create the new “Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.” This game constructs a world that is in line with the “Metal Gear” universe, while also possessing enough originality to distinguish itself from Metal Gear “Solid,” in order to provide a new Metal Gear that focuses on exciting action!

The Wonderful 101
Released: 2013年8月23日 (JPN); August 24, 2013 (NA); 15 September 2013 (EU)
Platform: Wii U
Genre: Unite Action

As Wonder-Red, leader of the Wonderful 100, you must unite your band of Wonderful Ones to morph into powerful transformations such as a fist, sword, glider or gun to battle invaders throughout Blossom City and all of Earth. It’s up to you and your team of superheroes to take on colossal robots and alien masterminds bent on obliterating everything in their path.

Upcoming Games

Bayonetta 2
Platform: Wii U

External Links
http://platinumgames.com/ - PlatinumGames Inc. official English website
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya - Hideki Kamiya's Twitter

Games from Clover Studio, prequel to Platinum Games Inc.

Viewtiful Joe
Released: 2003年6月26日 (JPN); October 7, 2003 (NA); 22 October 2004 (EU)
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube, Playstation 2

Viewtiful Joe features traditional 2D platform side-scrolling intermixed with 3D cel-shaded graphics. Abilities known as "VFX Powers" grant the player special actions for combat and puzzle-solving, such as slowing down or speeding up time. Viewtiful Joe was critically acclaimed for its unique visual style and gameplay, earning itself a number of awards from various media publications.

Viewtiful Joe 2
Released: 2004年12月16日 (JPN); December 8, 2004 (US); 1 April 2005 (EU)
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube, Playstation 2

Very similar to its predecessor, Viewtiful Joe 2 is a combination of 2D and 3D cel-shaded graphics with action, platforming, and beat 'em up gameplay elements. Using either of the characters Viewtiful Joe or Sexy Silvia, the player must utilize "VFX Powers" in order to battle enemies and solve puzzles. Any integral part of the gameplay, these special abilities include being able slow down, speed up, zoom into, or replay the onscreen action.

Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble or Viewtiful Joe: Battle Carnival(JPN)
Released: 2005年9月29日 (JPN); November 8, 2005 (NA); 25 February 2006 (EU)
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube, Playstation Portable

A slightly mission-based fighting/beat 'em up somewhat similar in style to Super Smash Bros. Melee and Power Stone, though it uses a modified engine from previous games in the series, featuring characters and powers from the Viewtiful Joe games and anime.

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble! or Viewtiful Joe: Scratch! (JPN)
Released: 2005年11月2日 (JPN); November 8, 2005 (NA); 24 February 2006 (EU)
Platform: Nintendo DS

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble! is a mix of the platforming and beat 'em up video game genres. The DS touchscreen is a key feature of the game's controls, enabling players to utilize Viewtiful Joe's unique VFX powers in order to battle enemies and solve puzzles. These include being able to split the level in half horizontally or to swap the top screen to the touchscreen and vice versa.

Ōkami
Released: 2006年4月20日 (JPN); September 19, 2006 (NA); 9 February 2007 (EU)
Platforms: Playstation 2, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3 (HD Remake)

Ōkami has the player controlling the main character, Amaterasu, in a woodcut, watercolor style, cel-shaded environment, which looks like an animated Japanese ink-illustration (known as ink wash painting, sumi-e) with other styles of art. The gameplay style is a mix of action, platform, and puzzle gaming genres, and has been noted by many reviewers to have numerous similarities in overall gameplay style to The Legend of Zelda series, an inspiration that director Hideki Kamiya, a self-proclaimed Zelda-fan, has admitted has influenced his general game design.

God Hand
Released: 2006年9月14日 (JPN); October 10, 2006 (NA); 16 February 2007 (EU)
Platform: Playstation 2, Playstation Network

The player takes control of Gene, a martial artist who wields one of the legendary "God Hands", a pair of divine arms that were once used to save the world from a demon, Angra. Gene and his companion Olivia are eventually caught up in an attempt by a group of demons known as the Four Devas to resurrect Angra for purposes of world domination. The game mixes western and Japanese-themed comedy, containing over-the-top characters and storyline events. The gameplay combines traditional elements of the beat 'em up genre with new features. These include being able to map and string together a large repertoire of fighting techniques to the gamepad's face buttons in order to create unique combo attacks.

Mark your spoilers accordingly and we'll have a grand old time discussing (gushing and whining about) action games courtesy of PlatinumGames Inc.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Outside of Madworld, every single one of their games is fantastic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want Platinum to make an entry in every well known series. A Platinum Kirby game would be amazing.

Bayonetta 2 is enough to make me want to buy a Wii U.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What's wrong with Madworld? (I've never played it)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Farecoal posted:

What's wrong with Madworld? (I've never played it)

Short and very simple mechanically. It is the definition of style over substance.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Madworld is basically the tony hawk's pro skater of platinum games, which isn't as cool as it sounds.

You might as well throw the Clover games in the op as well.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

You might as well throw the Clover games in the op as well.

Done and done

Veloc
Feb 19, 2014

Everyone seems to forget Infinite Space. It's the only Platinum game I haven't played, but still probably worth adding to the OP.
Anyone know if it was any good?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Apparently that was only produced by Platinum, not developed. I heard it was pretty good though.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

WHERES THE "AND GREAT AMERICAN GAMERY" PART?!?! YOU hosed THE TITLE UP!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Even though it was kinda samey outside of the bossfights it still had The Motherfucking Black Baron (stop starin') which made it better than like 85% of other games.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 28, 2014

Veloc
Feb 19, 2014

Level Slide posted:

Apparently that was only produced by Platinum, not developed. I heard it was pretty good though.

Oh really? Guess I should have done my research. I definitely feel less bad about not playing it now, though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

From what I gather from SpaceDrake's abandoned LP, Infinite Space had a great story but the game part was tedious as gently caress with mandatory battles that were impossible if you didn't do this or that earlier in the game.

Commissar Ken posted:

WHERES THE "AND GREAT AMERICAN GAMERY" PART?!?! YOU hosed THE TITLE UP!

Wouldn't fit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Veloc posted:

Oh really? Guess I should have done my research. I definitely feel less bad about not playing it now, though.

The bulk of the work was by Nude Maker, the Steel Battalion devs.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Truth bomb.

I'm really hoping for a next gen Metal Gear Rising sequel. From my understanding, MGR didn't sell particularly well despite being such a fantastic game so who knows if it'll happen.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Token Cracker posted:

Truth bomb.

I'm really hoping for a next gen Metal Gear Rising sequel. From my understanding, MGR didn't sell particularly well despite being such a fantastic game so who knows if it'll happen.
Pretty sure MGR sold well. You're probably thinking of literally every other game Platinum has made. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
MGRR and Bayonetta are almost perfect games for me. I am still unhappy that apparently the market wasn't cool to support Bayonetta 2 on its own and they had to get picked up by Nintendo.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Let's discuss some franchises that'd be better if Platinum took them over:

ASSASSINS CREED V: REVENGEANCE

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wasn't The Wonderful 101 originally going to feature Nintendo characters? I love how creative they were with the characters they ended up using Wonder Santa :allears: but it definitely would have drawn more attention from people. If Super Smash Bros. still had generic people like in the original footage, it wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is today.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ninja Gaiden Black is still better though, right? We don't have to pretend it isn't, do we?

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Yeah I love being stomped in the dick repeatedly.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Anarchy Reigns is the best Platinum game and it breaks my heart that it probably won't get a sequel, ever.

My only hope is that they release some kind of Anarchy Reigns/MGR cross-off where a tag-team of Jetstream Sam and Raiden fights off Armstrong and the Blacker Baron in online multiplayer. It would most likely be the best game ever made.

edit: sundowner yells "I'M loving INVINCIBLE" as he pops his killer weapon

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 28, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
To this day the only game of theirs I've ever played the whole way through is Okami, which is odd considering it's probably one of the longest games I've ever played. I love their games, but I never do get around to finishing them.

I need to wait for my PS3 to come back, but I'm going to pick up Vanquish soon. Any tips on that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Level Slide posted:

I looked into this at some point and I think I would still call it a Platinum game. It was some weird set up where all the people who are important at Nude Maker were actually Platinum employees during the time of its development or something. Either it should be listed since despite the massive grinding required in the early game, it's a 70s space anime simulator. The ship customization is a lot of fun also and clearly inspired stuff like FTL.

But man I sure do love Platinum, any game they make I own right away cause all their games are outstanding. I even love MadWorld, despite its simplicity it set the tone and basic structure for the superior Anarchy Reigns. Also I love it because the setting and characters were designed by the same guy responsible for Ogre Battle/FF Tactics/Vagrant Story/FFXII because he got sick of pretty boy stuff being forced into his games (especially with FFXII's development) which I find hilarious because of how far in the opposite direction he went with MadWorld.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would love for Yasumi Matsuno to become one of Platinum's full time employees.

I'd love for him to be a full time employee of any company that isn't EA or Activision, but it'd make Platinum comprise of 95% of my favourite developers instead of 90%.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

kalonZombie posted:

I need to wait for my PS3 to come back, but I'm going to pick up Vanquish soon. Any tips on that?

Don't play it like a regular cover shooter. Get out there with your jetboots and your slow-mo and shoot dudes in the face.

You can flick lit cigarettes and enemies will target them for a few seconds.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

Oh man, where to start...

Don't use cover unless you're almost dead. Just dodging and boosting will allow you to dodge most attacks and bullets. You always have four melee attacks available, one of each weapon and one while boosting, so make sure you know what each one does and the best way to use them. Make sure you never let your boost or slow motion deplete the gauge completely, or you'll have to wait for it to refill.

Before the game came out, they released a demo of stage 1-3 (the one with the first boss fight) and I played that over and over again until I was comfortable with the game. It was completely overwhelming, and I ran out of ammo on the boss, but once I'd mastered the mechanics it became one of my favourite games of the generation. I'd recommend doing the same thing rather than just trying to plough through to the end without a firm grasp of the gameplay.

Advanced tricks:

The game is divided into Acts, Chapters, and Checkpoints. If you die, you can either start at the last checkpoint, which counts as a death, or the beginning of the chapter, which doesn't. Dying on Normal or above will downgrade your held weapons, and prevent you from getting the 'no death' trophy, but if you quit to the main menu and load the checkpoint, you'll be able to continue from it without losing much progress or having it count as a death.

Picking up a gun that's the same as one you have equipped fills up the ammo, no matter how much was in the dropped weapon. However, there's a trick to make it easier to upgrade weapons. Normally you have to pick up a weapon of the same type while you have full ammo for it. However, if there's another weapon lying around, you can swap them out so that you're holding the one with full ammo, and upgrade it with the depleted one you had previously. Weapon upgrades apply to all weapons of that type for that playthrough, and it doesn't matter if the weapon you use to upgrade isn't at full capacity, only the one you're currently holding. You'd usually have upgraded all your favourite weapons to maximum by the end of the game anyway, but this just lets you do it faster.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I own mad world and it's not great. That and No More Heroes were like, the great hope of "Mature Wii Games". Anyway everything else I've played from them is amazing, I paid $100 to import Bayonetta early (JP version was in English) and it didn't disappoint. I almost hope Bayonetta 2 still comes out on another platform...

Anyone hear how MG Rising did on PC? I wonder if they'll consider more PC development in the future.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

kalonZombie posted:

To this day the only game of theirs I've ever played the whole way through is Okami, which is odd considering it's probably one of the longest games I've ever played. I love their games, but I never do get around to finishing them.

You'll want to shy away from cover as soon as you get better about using the bullet time and boost mechanics. The game let's you be pretty creative about it, and you can even use both at the same time. These are pretty much tools to let you control the flow of battles and create your own openings instead of waiting for one. The game rewards you for being very fast and decisive, and just feels a lot better overall when you're jumping right into the fray. They try to sell melee as a last resort or one-hit kill since it burns through all your energy, but you can go into bullet time for a bit before you actually overheat which works particularly well with the boost kick. The roll is excellent and really fast, allowing you to clear distance and stay frosty while you're waiting to cool down.

Vanquish is hands down my favorite shooter of all time, so I hope you enjoy it!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
In case anyone doubted how amazing Kamiya is:-

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Kamiya posted:

You gotta be you. Only one in the world.

Thanks, man. :unsmith:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Token Cracker posted:

I'm really hoping for a next gen [game] sequel. From my understanding, [game] didn't sell particularly well despite being such a fantastic game so who knows if it'll happen.

You could use this statement on Platinum's entire output.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Minorkos posted:

Anarchy Reigns is the best Platinum game and it breaks my heart that it probably won't get a sequel, ever.

My only hope is that they release some kind of Anarchy Reigns/MGR cross-off where a tag-team of Jetstream Sam and Raiden fights off Armstrong and the Blacker Baron in online multiplayer. It would most likely be the best game ever made.

edit: sundowner yells "I'M loving INVINCIBLE" as he pops his killer weapon

A Platinum mega-crossover fighting game, with two or three characters from each property, would own a whole lot.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So basically ignore cover and have fun running around shooting dudes. That's how I play most of the "cover" shooters I enjoy anyway (like Uncharted and Tomb Raider), but with Platinum based gameplay elements. Awesome.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
In Vanquish, you can boost into a bot, kick flip off it, slowmo in midair and 360 no scope sniper headshot his buddies. It's a good game

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

In case anyone doubted how amazing Kamiya is:-

This belongs in a museum, it's just missing him saying to Kotaku "Do you like to eat poo poo?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Luka in Bayonetta 2 looks like they described John Marsten to that Final Fantasy artist guy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Razakai posted:

Castlevania

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ninja Gaiden Black is still better though, right? We don't have to pretend it isn't, do we?

We can stop pretending Ninja Gaiden had a good camera.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
He's got that Jetstream smugness going on.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Razakai posted:

Mega Man Legends 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Konami, especially now that they own all Hudson/whatever stuff just needs to have Platinum do an installment in all of their franchises because they would own:

Adventure Island: REVENGEANCE
Castlevania: REVENGEANCE
Contra: REVENGEANCE
Dance Dance Revolution: REVENGEANCE
Gradius: REVENGEANCE
Martial Champion: REVENGEANCE
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2015: REVENGEANCE
Zone of the Enders: REVENGEANCE

Platinum if one of you is a goon and reads this, these are the best ideas imo.

REVENGEANCE, instead of being a subtitle thematically relevant to Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE, needs to become its own brand that just means you're buying a balls out amazing action game from people who actually know what they're doing.

• Locked thread