Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

Even though it was kinda samey outside of the bossfights it still had The Motherfucking Black Baron (stop starin') which made it better than like 85% of other games.

Let's not forget Greg Proops and John DiMaggio as the announcers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982dFZJSnWw It had good music, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everything about Madworld is fantastic aside from the gameplay, thankfully we got Anarchy Reigns for that.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The nicest thing I can say about Madworld is that the final boss is a good challenge and the entire fight is really fun to play through because of the presentation.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Castlevania: REVENGEANCE

Considering that this is the direction that Konami has been trying (and failing, utterly) to take Castlevania for the last ten years, I don't know why they don't just bite the bullet at this point and hire Platinum to do it. Castlevania is exactly the kind of ridiculous game series that would benefit from a ridiculous game like REVENGEANCE, and I don't think Platinum could possibly write a plot more incomprehensible than the current reboot of Castlevania. (HE IS GABRIEL BELMONT... THE VAMPIRE HUNTER... AND ALSO COUNT DRACULA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!!!) AND HE IS HUNTING SATAN.... IN SPACE!!!!!!)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mirthless posted:

Considering that this is the direction that Konami has been trying (and failing, utterly) to take Castlevania for the last ten years, I don't know why they don't just bite the bullet at this point and hire Platinum to do it. Castlevania is exactly the kind of ridiculous game series that would benefit from a ridiculous game like REVENGEANCE, and I don't think Platinum could possibly write a plot more incomprehensible than the current reboot of Castlevania. (HE IS GABRIEL BELMONT... THE VAMPIRE HUNTER... AND ALSO COUNT DRACULA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!!!) AND HE IS HUNTING SATAN.... IN SPACE!!!!!!)

I can only hope this happens. They already have their foot in the door at Konami with MGR so surely Castlevania can't be that far off. Especially since Mercury Steam said they won't make anymore LoS games thank god.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Neo Rasa posted:

Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2015: REVENGEANCE

Please?

Now I'm sad it's never going to happen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is that shaolin soccer? I don't recognize the first gif but haven't seen the move in a while.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fetucine posted:

A Platinum mega-crossover fighting game, with two or three characters from each property, would own a whole lot.

Raiden was absolutely nuts in PlayStation All-Stars, so I can't begin to imagine a whole game of them. Just chuck in Dante (the real one), Gene, Amaterasu, Leon Kennedy, Travis Touchdown, and the entire Killer7 syndicate for good measure.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is that shaolin soccer? I don't recognize the first gif but haven't seen the move in a while.

Yeah, that's Shaolin Soccer.

And if PES: REVENGEANCE doesn't happen, then I'd be fine with Platinum taking a page from Capcom and collaborating with Level-5 to make Inazuma Eleven even crazier.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The greatest thing about Platinum for me, is the sense of fun they put into their games; they're not trying to tell some grand story or anything. Just plain old fun. Ball-crushingly hard fun, but fun.

Veloc
Feb 19, 2014

According to VGChartz, Bayonetta sold the most out of any Platinum game at about 2 million units, with Revengeance coming at a close second at almost 1.5 million
aaand Wonderful 101 the least at 170,000, and Anarchy Reigns in second-lowest place selling only 300,000.
I really wish more was done to advertise these games. (Especially Anarchy Reigns since that is a multiplayer game and it is nearly impossible to find a match) I adore the games they create, and I find it really discouraging to see them constantly struggle with low sales.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's a real bummer TW101 sold so poorly. It was the best game I played in 2013. Not too surprising considering how dismally the Wii U is doing in general, though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Doesn't VGChartz not count digital sales (and also makes up numbers)? Anyway, I feel like the money Platinum could put into running ads is instead put into paying the testers to make drat sure the dodge offset is working correctly.

And then there are dumbasses like me who've never used or cared about the dodge offset.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Razakai posted:

Let's discuss some franchises that'd be better if Platinum took them over:

ASSASSINS CREED V: REVENGEANCE

Starfox: Rising

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Neo Rasa posted:

Zone of the Enders: REVENGEANCE

That's pretty much ZoE 2, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Veloc posted:

According to VGChartz, Bayonetta sold the most out of any Platinum game at about 2 million units, with Revengeance coming at a close second at almost 1.5 million
aaand Wonderful 101 the least at 170,000, and Anarchy Reigns in second-lowest place selling only 300,000.
I really wish more was done to advertise these games. (Especially Anarchy Reigns since that is a multiplayer game and it is nearly impossible to find a match) I adore the games they create, and I find it really discouraging to see them constantly struggle with low sales.

Anarchy Reigns also had the best soundtrack. I would put it slightly ahead of Revengeance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Now that the KojiPro and Platinum relationship is established and Kojima was eager to continue it, there's no apparent reason* why he shouldn't knock on the door to P+ HQ and say "I'm hesitant to do ZoE 3, would you please do it for me, here is infinite money, go nuts.".

*Valid reasons that shatter my dreams don't count, such as costs, potential profits, development time, fallout from the bad ZoE HD job that made Kojima reconsider in the first place. :colbert:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Anarchy Reigns also had the best soundtrack. I would put it slightly ahead of Revengeance.

Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRxNc2pC5I

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The truest words.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Revengeance pretty much made me get back into action games like it. The last one, ironically,I played was Lords of Shadows which I loved. Revengeance though was something else. If I just had to describe it, it's cool. The entire game was taking a character no one really like and having him do the most absurd and amazing poo poo all while being loving insane doing it. The soundtrack just added too it and how it layered tracks to correspond with how bad you hosed someone up is just a great design choice.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Neo Rasa posted:

Adventure Island: REVENGEANCE
Castlevania: REVENGEANCE
Contra: REVENGEANCE
Dance Dance Revolution: REVENGEANCE
Gradius: REVENGEANCE
Martial Champion: REVENGEANCE
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2015: REVENGEANCE
Zone of the Enders: REVENGEANCE

gently caress all of those, we need Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon: GANBAREVENGEANCE

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
After watching Chip play Revengance (and having played a bit myself), it's really hard watching Raiden in MGS4. He seems so sluggish in that game in comparison.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Veloc posted:

Everyone seems to forget Infinite Space. It's the only Platinum game I haven't played, but still probably worth adding to the OP.
Anyone know if it was any good?

Sometimes I feel like the only person who ever played Infinite Space but lemme break it down.

Infinite Space is loving amazing. It's a pseudo open world space game that has you building up a space armada to do stuff. However it's space travel like an Arthur C Clark book so not a simple warp one engage thing. You can customize every single ship room for room, more engines is more speed but you can use small engines and cram some extra poo poo in there. A ship can be a carrier, cargo ship, missile interceptor, command vessel, troop transport, all through shuffling around the insides. It's a really awesome game.

Did I mention the plot is like you described Childhoods End to the Metal Gear Rising team? Because it's insane and pretty awesome. It's also got a branching story where main characters can die drastically changing the story.

If you have a ds you should play it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

After watching Chip play Revengance (and having played a bit myself), it's really hard watching Raiden in MGS4. He seems so sluggish in that game in comparison.

Watching chip play that game made me a lot better at it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Just started playing 101 on Hard for the first time. I knew the enemies would be switched around, but I wasn't expecting to fight a giant robot in the prologue with only Red. drat, that was the one part that stopped me from getting a Pure Platinum rank. And then I got my rear end kicked on 1-A and barely scraped a Consolation Prize.

This is gonna be fun.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Infinite Space had a lot of cool ideas like the ship customizing and whatnot, but the combat was definitely lacking and there was absolutely no direction in terms of where to go to continue the plot. The combat is entirely based on your preparation for battles because it's only a little more hands on than the kind of autobattles you see in games like Assassin's Creed Black Flag (Kenway's fleet sidecontent) or Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker (outer ops). It's cool for random battle with space pirates, but bosses are entirely trial and error until you figure out what setup you should be using and then hope that the boss doesn't do too much damage.

The art is great and there's an assload of content, but the gameplay is far from anything resembling a Platinum game. If you take a break from the game and forget where you should be heading next, you might as well restart the game instead of spending hours wandering the galaxy for where you should be going.

e: I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's still worth playing. Just don't go buying it because it's a Platinum, buy it because it's an awesome space game.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 28, 2014

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Veloc posted:

Bayonetta only shipped 1.35 mil, with a chance they didn't even sell a million, so don't know where they're getting their sales figures. If they'd sold a couple million, Bayo2 probably wouldn't be Wii U exclusive.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28571/Sega_Sammy_Post_Profits_As_Bayonetta_Ships_135_Million.php

And W101 is only sitting at like 80k right now.

Platinum makes great games, but they don't sell for nothing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This is why we don't use vgchartz for anything. Ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MGR was stated to have sold around 447,662 copies after June by famitsu last year. It was the second best-selling game of the week it came out, only being beaten by Crysis 3 in the UK (Where it was heavily marketed). While we still have no word of how well it did in North America, I'd like to imagine it more than likely eclipsed the Japanese and UK numbers.

I don't know where the idea that Revengeance did bad came from, but I would not be shocked if it had done better than Bayonetta when you combine the worldwide sales together. This is not even counting the amount of people who bought it for steam in the West.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 1, 2014

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Is it true that the PS3 port of Bayonetta has problems with framerates or graphics or something? I want to play it but I put my 360 away and don't really feel like connecting it again just for one game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is it true that the PS3 port of Bayonetta has problems with framerates or graphics or something? I want to play it but I put my 360 away and don't really feel like connecting it again just for one game

It literally runs at half the framerate, sometimes less. So yea play the 360 version if you have the choice.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I don't know where the idea that Revengeance did bad came from, but I would not be shocked if it had done better than Bayonetta when you combine the worldwide sales together. This is not even counting the amount of people who bought it for steam in the West.

It's a good Platinum game, so it stands to reason that it sold poorly.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It literally runs at half the framerate, sometimes less. So yea play the 360 version if you have the choice.

Eesh, yeah ok, thanks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's a good Platinum game, so it stands to reason that it sold poorly.

It being a Platinum literally does not matter, it's a Metal Gear game. Even if a fraction of the ridiculously huge worldwide fanbase bought that game, it still would've outdone Platinum's other games (Maybe even combined) and made its money back.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Jim Reilly, who worked at Game Informer at the time, said that Bayonetta's lifetime sales as of September 2012 were 350K (for the NPD). Remember, Sega practices price protection. Outside of Japan, they can't channel stuff and expect to make money. If a non-Japanese retailer has to price cut to move stock, then Sega has to make up the difference. It's part of the reason why the publisher heavily downsized over the last two years and focused on digital storefronts.

EDIT:
It looks like Japanese sales were about 320K across both platforms.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 1, 2014

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It being a Platinum literally does not matter, it's a Metal Gear game. Even if a fraction of the ridiculously huge worldwide fanbase bought that game, it still would've outdone Platinum's other games (Maybe even combined) and made its money back.

Half the reviewers didn't know how to parry, so it got drowned in mediocre reviews.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bushisms.txt posted:

Half the reviewers didn't know how to parry, so it got drowned in mediocre reviews.

This is unfortunately true, some of the reviewers being harsher on it probably hurt its sales a bit to the average person.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Sunning posted:

Jim Reilly, who worked at Game Informer at the time, said that Bayonetta's lifetime sales as of September 2012 were 350K (for the NPD). Remember, Sega practices price protection. Outside of Japan, they can't channel stuff and expect to make money. If a non-Japanese retailer has to price cut to move stock, then Sega has to make up the difference. It's part of the reason why the publisher heavily downsized over the last two years and focused on digital storefronts.

EDIT:
It looks like Japanese sales were about 320K across both platforms.

350K in the US specifically. If US, Japan and Europe are about the same that would total up to a little over a million, but I'd wildly guess at Europe being a little higher than the US.

edit: When this came up in the Wii U thread, I used http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20100514_hosoku_e_final.pdf#page=5 as my source, is that just copies shipped to stores?

Peel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 1, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Peel posted:

350K in the US specifically. If US, Japan and Europe are about the same that would total up to a little over a million, but I'd wildly guess at Europe being a little higher than the US.

edit: When this came up in the Wii U thread, I used http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20100514_hosoku_e_final.pdf#page=5 as my source, is that just copies shipped to stores?

Wow, I thought it would've been over 1mil easily. I guess Bayo2 will be lucky to break 200k on the wii u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Infinite Space had a lot of cool ideas like the ship customizing and whatnot, but the combat was definitely lacking and there was absolutely no direction in terms of where to go to continue the plot. The combat is entirely based on your preparation for battles because it's only a little more hands on than the kind of autobattles you see in games like Assassin's Creed Black Flag (Kenway's fleet sidecontent) or Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker (outer ops). It's cool for random battle with space pirates, but bosses are entirely trial and error until you figure out what setup you should be using and then hope that the boss doesn't do too much damage.

The art is great and there's an assload of content, but the gameplay is far from anything resembling a Platinum game. If you take a break from the game and forget where you should be heading next, you might as well restart the game instead of spending hours wandering the galaxy for where you should be going.

e: I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's still worth playing. Just don't go buying it because it's a Platinum, buy it because it's an awesome space game.

There's a lot of combat options if you have the skills and equipment for it. Plus all the cool kids just full power right at dudes and board them to do the boarding minigame.

You can get lost yeah but there are a few bars that you can go to who will tell you what's going on in the story if you forget.

Also Platinum games never sell because they get zero advertising ever. Even the best game doesn't sell for poo poo if no one knows about it.

• Locked thread