Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

The GIG posted:

I don't know why all Nickelodeon games use cell shading like that, it has never looked good at all.

I like cell shading because I'm a horrible monster, so I think the game looks pretty alright.

Also, I have faith in the Korra game. Not because it's solely Platinum, though that is a part of it, but because it seems that there's a lot of love going into it. From the gameplay and interviews I've seen, there's at least three play modes in a four hour long game. The actual combat sections where you tear dudes apart and eat their spines chuck fire, rocks, ice, and tornadoes at dudes, an on-rails runner thing where you ride Korra's adorable dog-bear thing, and the sport that the show has, pro-bending, a game where you compete for territory against other benders that's actually crazy and fun as hell to watch in the show. For a DLC, licensed, Nickelodeon game, that's an INSANE amount of variety. Plus, with Platinum backing it, you know the combat's going to be pretty deep (and poorly explained).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
The bear riding looks like your typical mediocre Platinum midgame minigame though

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Beef Waifu posted:

That looks like literally every licensed action game I've seen just faster.

Oh so the story of Bayonetta 2 is the saving of Christmas, of course.

With Rodin taking Santa's place to keep everything going smoothly while Bayonetta and Jeanne go rescue the jolly fat man? Instant buy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Beef Waifu posted:

That looks like literally every licensed action game I've seen just faster.

Yeah, I think getting Platinum involved was more of a marketing coup than anything else.

(The should have hired Treasure instead, those dudes desperately need the work.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Omobono posted:

With Rodin taking Santa's place to keep everything going smoothly while Bayonetta and Jeanne go rescue the jolly fat man? Instant buy.

"We'll get this kid a new PS4 for Christmas." *dives into portal to hell, emerges covered in blood*

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Is that a loving Kid Icarus Uprising-esque "bet currency to increase difficulty and earn better rewards" system?!

I need this game right this second. And October is already packed with this and Smash 3DS. gently caress.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
On the subject of Vanquish, this is how it should be played:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12604684 (account needed)

Just showing off at every possible opportunity whether there's anyone around to see it or not. :cool: The guy has a playlist of him going to town too; if nothing else, check out the bossfights.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 28, 2014

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, I think getting Platinum involved was more of a marketing coup than anything else.

(The should have hired Treasure instead, those dudes desperately need the work.)

Or at least work we'll actually see outside Japan. I didn't even know those Gaist Crusher games were developed by Treasure until recently when I was curious what they were up to, now I'm sad they'll probably never get localized.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Wasn't convinced on TW101 but purchased it due to this thread. Expected it would cost more than $24.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I think you will be surprised by how solid the systems are in korra. Even though it may look like another licensed game, their approach to constructing a combat system is so thorough that everything should work together pretty harmoniously, I think.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Atoramos posted:

Wasn't convinced on TW101 but purchased it due to this thread. Expected it would cost more than $24.

I just picked up W101 and I'm already enjoying it, I don't understand the point of the attack where you shove some of the crowd at the enemy. Is that just to get guys on them attacking like Pikmin, or does it open up the enemies to take more damage or something?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Broseph Brostar posted:

I just picked up W101 and I'm already enjoying it, I don't understand the point of the attack where you shove some of the crowd at the enemy. Is that just to get guys on them attacking like Pikmin, or does it open up the enemies to take more damage or something?

1) Yes, each team attack slaps one Wonderful dude/tte on the enemy.
2) Yes, if you slap enough Wonderful dude/ttes on an enemy, they will be stunned, which opens them up for different things depending on the enemy. I think most common is that you can start juggling them.
3) Team attack is also a sort of pseudo-lock on, in that you'll paint reticles on enemies you hit with it. If you then use a Unite Morph and aim the left stick in the direction of a targeted enemy, you'll fly right up to it and start attacking.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I really wanted to like W101, but I basically hated everything about it from the hour or so I played. Nothing felt good at all.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there any word on a Special Bayonetta Edition WiiU console? Nintendo did a Wind Waker one and I'm going to pick that up if there isn't a Bayonetta version.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I really wanted to like W101, but I basically hated everything about it from the hour or so I played. Nothing felt good at all.

That's because it takes longer to "get" the combat than it does in other Platinum games. In 101 you have to learn to attack right to play it on a basic level, whereas in other Platinum games you just have to learn how to stay alive. You can beat Bayonetta without getting good at dodge offsetting or holding attacks to use weapons correctly as long as you dodge well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Reallycoolname posted:

On the subject of Vanquish, this is how it should be played:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12604684 (account needed)

Just showing off at every possible opportunity whether there's anyone around to see it or not. :cool: The guy has a playlist of him going to town too; if nothing else, check out the bossfights.

I was able to use a proxy to bypass the account requirement. Thanks for sharing this, it shows how great Platinum are even in different genres.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Man why did I put off playing Vanquish for so long? This game is unsurprisingly the poo poo.

The only thing I don't understand is why your melee attacks completely drain your power. I wanna slide around punching the gently caress out of dudes but it's super risky if you can't combo it as a slide->kick->aerial slowmo (which is the raddest poo poo ever) and kill everyone in the vicinity.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The reason why is they wanted melee to basically be the equivalent of the smart bomb in your basic shmup.

If you really want to melee efficiently pick up the Sawblade weapon. Its melee attack takes away only one ammo per swing and can be held for like a huge amount of time, making it one of the most damaging. The weapon is really good in general as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Truxton posted:

Or at least work we'll actually see outside Japan. I didn't even know those Gaist Crusher games were developed by Treasure until recently when I was curious what they were up to, now I'm sad they'll probably never get localized.

If you look at their output over the last console generation you'll see that they've done almost nothing but ports and contract work for years now, it's really sad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Man why did I put off playing Vanquish for so long? This game is unsurprisingly the poo poo.

The only thing I don't understand is why your melee attacks completely drain your power. I wanna slide around punching the gently caress out of dudes but it's super risky if you can't combo it as a slide->kick->aerial slowmo (which is the raddest poo poo ever) and kill everyone in the vicinity.

Melee actually does a lot of neat movement tricks depending on what you have equipped. If you have the I think HMG? (I forgot the name) that does the flip, you can actually flip > aim and aim over boxes and stuff that you otherwise aren't supposed to, or flip an enemy into the air then go into slow motion to empty a clip into them. The AR melee does more hits the more you tap the button and can potentially be very damaging. Slide melee into slow motion is always cool.

Is there a youtube link of people doing amazing Vanquish stuff? Watching people be good at playing Platinum games is so fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love Vanquish but I really really do wish the melee wasn't limited, even if it was just a post-game unlockable or something. I love melee combat in shooters and Vanquish's would be top of the heap if it wasn't so costly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Isn't there some poster around here who constantly claims with "insider info" that Vanquish was going to have a melee combat system that was cut for budget/time constraints?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
New Bayo costumes:

The game itself has also been getting pretty favourable previews. The gist of them is "More of the same action goodness", although there appear to be reservations about the underwater parts
(:negative: why underwater parts, Platinum, why?)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm kind of confused about the 'underwater parts' thing because when I played the demo at E3 the underwater stuff was identical to the above-water stuff except you could turn into a sea serpent or something instead of a panther. Unless there's some other demo with terrible underwater parts, I have no idea what people are talking about.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Pesky Splinter posted:

New Bayo costumes:

The game itself has also been getting pretty favourable previews. The gist of them is "More of the same action goodness", although there appear to be reservations about the underwater parts

She done got swords on her feets.

About time I say.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of confused about the 'underwater parts' thing because when I played the demo at E3 the underwater stuff was identical to the above-water stuff except you could turn into a sea serpent or something instead of a panther. Unless there's some other demo with terrible underwater parts, I have no idea what people are talking about.

Games journalists. I dunno. Perhaps its a specific section or something, then again, they said the same thing about the aerial sections, and they appear to be fine, so...

:siren:Have a story intro thing/demo (Spoilers?):siren:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 9, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I love Vanquish but I really really do wish the melee wasn't limited, even if it was just a post-game unlockable or something. I love melee combat in shooters and Vanquish's would be top of the heap if it wasn't so costly.

Same here. I wish the game had some unlockables like costumes and special powers, and a new difficulty between Hard and God Hard. Hard is too easy, and God Hard is just bullshit. The problem is that while games like Devil May Cry make the enemies more powerful on the hardest difficulty by giving them the ability to use Devil Trigger, Vanquish weakens the main character by preventing you from upgrading your weapons and making your suit overheat more quickly.

Pro tips: using boost and slow motion doesn't drain the gauge any faster than using one of them by themselves (except on God Hard), and you can boost kick an enemy through cover. Remember you always have four melee moves available to you, except for the DLC weapons which reuse some. Also, swapping out a weapon while reloading it and then swapping back will instantly refill it, so it overcomes the Boost Machine Gun's small clip size.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pesky Splinter posted:

New Bayo costumes:

These are actually new weapons with the fragrances (Like how Kulshedra gives her the mask) like the previous game. The double blades are Rakshasa and the bow is Kafka.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
New Bayonetta enemy scans:
Hideous and Hatred and two unknown demons:

Pain:

Summons:

Baal

Mictlantecuhtli

Madama Butterfly

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Ah, Platinum. The epitome of a studio that smacks you in the face, kicks you in the groin, and has you smiling asking for another. Bayonetta and Vanquish rank up there on the top of my list of best games in their genres, because they're so intuitive and intense. Once you get into the zone, everything falls into place and it just feels good. I scoffed at Revengance at first because of Kojima's insanity, but after watching some of Chip's LP I can at least embrace the madness for the sake of the smooth action. I actually saw it on clearance at Best Buy for ten bucks apparently, but since my PC can run it with at least the minimum specs (this is something that can play STALKER and Crysis at pretty beefy settings with close to 60 fps) should I get that with all the DLC and goodies?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you have a PC that can play Revengeance and haven't played the game yet, YES get the PC version. It looks amazing, runs well, and the PC version comes with all the DLC. Make sure to plug in a controller obviously.

Also it has been as low as $20, it'll probably be $15 or so next time it goes on sale.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Godhand and Okami made 2006 one of the best years in gaming for me, and everything clover/platinum have done since has been awesome. Seriously excited to get a WiiU this winter so I can finally play W101 and Bayonetta 2.

Vanquish 2 needs to happen so bad.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
After having owned it for four years, I finally got around to finishing Bayonetta. That game's really good, you guys.

I did manage to die while steering Jubileus into the sun. I thought it would be cooler if I had to hit the planets on the way like some kind of Final Fantasy spell :(

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DoubleDonut posted:

After having owned it for four years, I finally got around to finishing Bayonetta. That game's really good, you guys.

I did manage to die while steering Jubileus into the sun. I thought it would be cooler if I had to hit the planets on the way like some kind of Final Fantasy spell :(

I died there three times. It's kind of a pain. I really hope they remove insta-death situations in the sequel, those were obnoxious. Kamiya does enjoy them though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kamiya's not working on Bayonetta 2 so hopefully the team won't feel the need to add unnecessary stuff like that.

Then again, underwater levels.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Kamiya's not working on Bayonetta 2 so hopefully the team won't feel the need to add unnecessary stuff like that.

Then again, underwater levels.

I didn't really have a problem with Bayonetta's gimmick levels, so hearing that Kamiya isn't working on it actually has me worried that the whole game will suffer as a result. :ohdear:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Kamiya is listed as Supervisor in the credits. I bet he's still pretty hands on, just less so since he's been working on Wonderful 101 and Scalebound.

The new director, Yusuke Hashimoto, was the enemy designer for DMC 1 and Bayonetta.

I have full faith the game will be better than Bayonetta 1, despite preemptive complaints by Beef Waifu

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Kamiya is listed as Supervisor in the credits. I bet he's still pretty hands on, just less so since he's been working on Wonderful 101 and Scalebound.

The new director, Yusuke Hashimoto, was the enemy designer for DMC 1 and Bayonetta.

I have full faith the game will be better than Bayonetta 1, despite preemptive complaints by Beef Waifu

A friendly reminder that Beef Waifu enjoys Dirge of Cerberus and thus shouldn't be taken too seriously in any opinions he may hold about the Video Gaming.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game must have one of the funniest endings I have ever seen to hope to match up to Dirge of Cerberus' beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Vanquish is pretty fun but I can't help but think that it would be way better if it was on the PC. As it is I'm enjoying it but I doubt I'll want to revisit it like Bayonetta or W101.

• Locked thread