Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shibawanko posted:

"fun" "fact": i know exactly where this establishment is, and have sat in the exact same chair where adolf hitler is sitting in this picture, in real life.
is ur rear end 4 sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Contra Calculus posted:

You could have just had the title as "People who care about games are scum and ruining games."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Man, having your first probation on DDRD after four years of being clean is like losing your virginity to a dead hooker. Or a hobo in a box car.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Contra Calculus posted:

Man, having your first probation on DDRD after four years of being clean is like losing your virginity to a dead hooker. Or a hobo in a box car.

well he lost it to an ik - it's like a six year old tackling you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i bet you want a six year old to tackle you you loving weirdo

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
bazinga

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

Next time don't try loving with a hobo in a box car, they often have knives and questionable sanity

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
twine games are not games.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Panzeh posted:

i love how people love sid meier's alpha centauri when the balance and gameplay is so bad but gosh if you put in some philosophizin quotes goons go berserk

there are waaaay better 4x games than smac, but they don't have the dumb story bullshit cause they actually get by on the gameplay

alpha centauri owns, sorry for your bad opinion

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

No Such Thing posted:

video games can't have serious stories because serious stories are poo poo like discovering you're a transsexual while trapped in a loveless marriage with a drug addled Somali teen. games have to throw in poo poo like wizards and robots and army men and some sort of meta ironic detachment to actually get anybody to listen to a cutscene, so until gamers can start to appreciate QTEs with poo poo like 'press x to stare mutely at the information channel in a dirty motel 6' or 'mash square to scorn your abusive father on his cancerous deathbed' game stories are gonna suck bad.

video games can't have serious stories because we don't know how to make dynamic gameplay out of complex social interactions or feelings. unless you're going all conversation trees & QTEs all the time your game's story has to justify a world where the most important things that happen are "two objects did or did not collide" and "a number went up, or down"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

swamp waste posted:

your game's story has to justify a world where the most important things that happen are "two objects did or did not collide" and "a number went up, or down"

most game stories never bother to justify that though, and the ones that do are actually pretty cool

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So then really a good game would be like ProgressQuest, except when you change number, your avatar gets to mash on a button saying 'Why?', to a different set of results based on your previous emotional states.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Some games have good stories. However, my problem lies with gamers who have obviously never cracked a book and think some video game stories are holy grails of storytelling, are intricate and complex, or have deep and insightful meaning and if you don't like them you just don't get it man.

Basically I'm saying if you liked MGS2's story you need to read a loving book.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MGS2 is good because it really hates gamers and makes fun of them.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
bump

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

my collection of choice visual novels imported from the heart of Nippon says otherwise

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007

O__O posted:

how can people stand to post with this lovely style sheet

Phone posting :coal:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Accordion Man posted:

MGS2 is good because it really hates gamers and makes fun of them.

Node, not nerd, node

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Rising action

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
the best computer game stories are like the one in elder scrolls where you partially improvise the story yourself as you go along and the game is not a story in itself but rather a collection of things you string together into your own guy's story like a collection of lego bricks

on the other hand i don't thnk ive ever listened to half the dialog in skyrim because i just skip through that mess

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Sounds like people are just pissed that not every video game is a means to live out various power fantasies and be aggrandized for it.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

MizPiz posted:

Sounds like people are just pissed that not every video game is a means to live out various power fantasies and be aggrandized for it.

sounds like you're an idiot who missed the point

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

MizPiz posted:

youre a complete fag, please gently caress off

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

qnqnx posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

qnqnx posted:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

qnqnx posted:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Don't all attack at once, I'm actually sympathetic to this point of view. If video games where the only thing that I felt I had control over, I wouldn't like a game that puts limits on my character either.

Dec 26, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Don't all attack at once, I'm actually sympathetic to this point of view. If video games where the only thing that I felt I had control over, I wouldn't like a game that puts limits on my character either.

qnqnx posted:

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
when i'm in game

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

MizPiz posted:

That's a dumb thing to say when if anything it's stories and context that does that, and not gameplay. (yeah I know you're very likely trolling)

When I say context (not sure if that's the right term but whatever), what I mean is for example in Doom, you may feel like a badass because you're exterminating demons from hell by the hundreds. The gameplay is very satisfying, but I don't see how it would make you feel empowered. Similarly, in Wolfenstein you may feel like a badass because you're slaying Nazis, and at the end, you even kill Hitler.

Not to forget that gameplay design defines what your character can do, not story (story justifies it or explains it, but does not dictate nor determine it).

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I guess no one here can handle the idea that they might actually be wrong about something. I'll just let you guys wallow in your own filth and wrong opinions.

zen death robot posted:

Do you write for Polygon or Kotaku?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

MizPiz posted:

I guess no one here can handle the idea that they might actually be wrong about something. I'll just let you guys wallow in your own filth and wrong opinions.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
the only wrong thing here is that youre still posting, and still gay about it

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

MizPiz posted:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun

You want to legitimize "games as art" so that people take your dumb loving career choice seriously.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

O__O posted:

You want to legitimize "games as art" so that people take your dumb loving career choice seriously.
do you think he actually works for rock paper shotgun

because if so you're the stupidest person in this thread

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Endorph posted:

do you think he actually works for rock paper shotgun

because if so you're the stupidest person in this thread

according to his profile he wants to be a (games) journalist. I checked. Cheers.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

O__O posted:

according to his profile he wants to be a (games) journalist. I checked. Cheers.

a lovely poster's profile posted:

Former wannabe filmmaker turned wannabe journalist

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait who the gently caress puts anything in their profile besides their codes for goon guilds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

wait who the gently caress puts anything in their profile besides their codes for goon guilds

wait ive made 25000 posts

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

wait ive made 25000 posts

at an average of nearly 15 a day, how do you have so many words to write

i hosed up this post too many times

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CARRIERHASARRIVED posted:

at an average of nearly 15 a day, how do you have so many words to write

i hosed up this post too many times