Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ilsa

Unable to find a suitable splinter for the elf to pick the lock on her chains with, and noticing that people have simply started making group efforts to yank their chains free of the wood, Ilsa looks to Kragg for help. The two try yanking her chains off the wooden beam, but the chains prove more firmly attached than some of her peers.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4432245/ 74 vs 25. I don't think Kragg's help is enough to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As the slaver abruptly steps forward to converse more easily, Friedrich spots the ring of keys swinging from Growt's belt. The other man's words are still hard to make out, but he thinks Growt is inquiring about Friedrich's ability to move about freely, and encouraging him to return to the hold -- perhaps so that he will be out of reach of the cold rain and crashing waves. He hadn't previously realized how solicitous of Friedrich's health and safety the man really was.

As Erik peers out of the sundered hull, the first thing he sees is the slaver Growt advancing menacingly toward Friedrich, trailing a long length of chain and brandishing a nasty looking club as he goes.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

The scene before Erik is not exactly one he had been prepared for, but it was one he had expected. No one like Growt would die so easily; they would need to live on to make life hell for others.

With a growl, Erik leaps down to the beach, stumbling in the sand as he tries to hit the ground sprinting. He knows Growt is likely to stove the idiot's head in with the club, and the others are still too far away to help. Whether Friedrich could actually defend himself was unknown to the Norscan, but he knew well enough that even if he could, he was spindly and simple, and the fat slaver was armed and muscular.

Internally, Erik sighs. Getting hit by that club was going to hurt.

Fastest move action I can to cover the distance between me and Growt. If I'm close enough to charge, I'd like to do that instead, and should ram him.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
36	31	36	41	36

A	W	M	FP
1	11/11	4	2/3

Talents: 
Menacing
Quick Draw

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 24, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

As Angran's shackles tear free of the boards, Mathuviel stumbles a few steps back, rights herself and takes a moment to catch her breath after the exertion, and mildly impressed by the fact they'd gotten the other elf free at all. Perhaps her comments about bad wood were not as in jest as she'd thought... not that this was a good thing, considering the current state of the ship. Above the din and howl of the icy wind and the surf beating against the hull of the ship she can suddenly hear Friedrich's voice in the distance outside, punctuated by the norscan's sudden growl and leap to the shore.

"I hear shouting outside," she quickly says. "Something about a cudgel and keys," she continues, looking over at Kragg, then back at the remaining prisoners, weighing her options for a split second, before skipping up towards the exit of the hull at a rapid pace.

As we begin to seemingly abandon them to their fate, now would be an excellent time for Otto and Ilsa to bond! :v:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ilsa

When she sees people rushing out of the hold Ilsa starts to worry, but she keeps telling herself they would be back with the keys the elf had mentioned. Speaking half to herself, she looks at Otto. "They'll be back for us when they find the keys, right?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Otto

Otto gives Ilsa a sickly smile, and, looking at the trickle of water coming into the hold, says, "I'm certain they'll be back for us. They wouldn't leave us to die." He tries to figure out how much time he and Ilsa have before the hold fills with water. Not too long, is his guess. "I'm sure they'll be back once they find the keys." he says, without much conviction.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Angran

Angran almost falls backwards as the wood breaks. It's hard to admit, but Angran does feel better knowing that he owes the favor to another elf. He exhales, "Thank you, thank you, thank you. Any time, name it." After making his mind up about that, it's barely a surprise to himself when he makes no hesitation to follow this elf. Initially he almost trips over his own chains, but... hell, why not? Angran snatches up the broken wood he's dragging and tries to find the best way to make it dangerous in his hands. Instead of feeling bad about following the elf out and leaving the others still chained, he tells himself he's making an effort to help find the keys. He climbs out the exit right behind Mathuviel.

Sorry, I was out of town all weekend.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As Friedrich continues to converse jovially with the slaver, Erik leaps from the broken ship and sprints across the beach, drawing nearly even with the other man before anyone else can even react. Growt continues his unsteady forward progress for a few moments before reaching the extent of his chain, whereupon he is brought up short. He casts his bloodshot gaze dumbly downward for a moment before looking up again and noticing the charging Norseman. He may not be a smart fellow, but he certainly recognizes impending violence when it is bearing down on him. He yanks violently on the chain, loosening it at least somewhat from whatever was securing it. A sneer crosses his porcine features, and he readies his cudgel to strike down his onrushing attacker.

With her enhanced Elven hearing that could no doubt detect a fly breaking wind at a hundred paces, Mathuviel realizes that something important is occurring outside, and she proceeds to the gaping wound in the hold to see just what it is. As she peers outside, a wave breaks agains the boulder resting alongside the hull, soaking her to the bone and sending a cold spray throughout the rest of the hold. Wiping the stinging salt water from her eyes, she can see Friedrich, Erik, and Growt converging toward a confrontation on the beach below.

If they wish, Ilsa or Otto can use a Fortune Point to (re)try an escape attempt, or they can burn a Fate Point outright (accompanied by some plausible in-game reasoning) for an automatic success. However, they're not in danger of immediate drowning, so I'd advise against the latter desperate measure just now.

Erik has run about halfway to Growt this round, and can make a charge attack in the coming round. Mathuviel, Angran, and Kragg are a round behind. Initiative and combat-relevant stat blocks for those entering the fray, please.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Cursing her fortune, Mathuviel tries to blink away the stinging sensation of salt in her eyes as she points down at the confrontation at the beach while the other freed slaves catch up.

"It's Growt! He's alone!" she yells, then hops down to the beach to follow Erik. Normally, getting into a fracas unarmed was not her idea of a good time, but the others could use the man's keys and the cruel piggish bastard could use a solid beating. With so many of them free at least they had the numbers advantage and the fight might even distract her from the cold water now soaking through her clothes.

Moving up towards Growt.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	41	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	7/10	5	2/2

-4 temp characteristic penalty

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

Erik felt his heart pounding in his throat, the world becoming brighter and more detailed as the adrenaline coursed through his system. He felt the sand crunch under his feet and felt the mist of the ocean on his bare back. In front of him, Growt was trying to get himself more purchase, getting closer to Friedrich, who had no clue what he was getting himself into. The Norscan passed the simpleton, not sparing him a glance but yelling for him to get back. His entire world was focused on Growt, and the indignities the slaver had put him through, and no doubt his people. Every blemish and every mark on the man's body stood out to Erik, disgusting him further; it would be a good thing to rid the world of this man.

In Norscan: "Get away from him! I will kill you!"

Before he could register what he was doing, he was lunging for the fat man with the club, wanting only to batter him with his fists. Rage was filling his mind, fueled by everything the man had forced upon them, the food, the whipping, everything. It wanted to burn within his mind, consume his being, and make him tear the man limb from limb; it was the Norscan rage, and he wanted to embrace it, let it lead him through the death of the slaver. But there was a cold anger beneath it all, one he was not accustomed to; it was calm, it was careful, and yet it was more furious than the rage that threatened to burn within him. It quelled the flames, and he grabbed for the man's arms, trying to redirect the club, trying to get behind him and use the chain against him.

Where the flames of the Norscan rage screamed for blood and begged to simply kill, the icy hatred within him knew it would be better to make the man suffer. If he died slow, he would know what he had done to them all; he would not accept it, he would blame the Norscan and shy away from his own failures, but he would suffer. And that would be best.

Charge and grapple, vs 46 or 56 (can't remember how much charge is worth.) I want to try to take his club away from him once he's grappled, or his sword.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
36	31	36	41	36

A	W	M	FP
1	11/11	4	2/3

Talents: 
Menacing
Quick Draw

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 24, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kragg Gehanborson

As soon as I heard the elf cry out I dropped what I was doing and rushed for the hole in the ship. Growt had some payback coming and I intended to dish out my fair portion. And maybe a little bit more. Nobody messed with Kragg and got away with it. Coming to the hole I skidded to a stop and teetered on the brink. The shore was a long way down for someone my height, especially with the waves crashing beneath me. Turning around I clamped my hands on the edge of the hole and carefully lowered myself down; bringing my feet that much closer to the ground before taking a deep breath and letting go. I really hoped I didn't twist an ankle when I landed.

Moving towards Growt.
pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
41	31	31	41	21

A	W	M	FP
1	12/12	3	2/2

Skills:
Dodge Blow

Talents:
Street Fighting           Strike Mighty Blow
Strike to Injure          Strike to Stun

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Angran

As Angran followed behind Mathuviel into the wind, he could feel the pressure of the sand rubbing along where he was bare. The air was filled with a spraying cold and a rough bite that Angran hadn't expected after spending so long in the murky cell of a ship. Even still, all he could think was how nice it felt to be outside.

And then, half shielding his eyes, he looked out past the elf in front of him to see Erik engaging with Growt. With both the elf and dwarf moving closer, he readied himself for the worst and followed behind.

Moving towards Growt

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	36	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	7/10 	5	2/2

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Otto

"So, what brings you here?", he asks Ilsa as he keeps tugging at his chains. "What crime did you commit?", he asks, yanking on his bonds.

Strength Roll (Against 5): 1d100 44

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ilsa

Drowning out the thoughts of imminent drowning by focusing on Otto, Ilsa keeps yanking her chains, but if anything they somehow feel even more sturdily attached than they did before. "Travelled on the wrong highway on the wrong day."

Reroll: 81. You lot better come back and rescue us. :arghfist:

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Otto and Ilsa chat amicably, desperately trying to ignore the incessant crashing of the waves , each one pouring more and more water into the hold. Meanwhile, Friedrich stands transfixed as the Norscan rushes past him, aimed at the approaching slaver. Erik ends his sprint with a flying leap at Growt. Fortunately, the other man's senses have been dulled by a prodigious amount of drink, so he starts the skull-shattering swing of his club just a fraction of a second too late. As Erik collides with his target, both men tumble to the ground in a tangle of arms and legs. Somehow Erik ends up on top of the other man, but as he reaches for Growt's throat, the rancid stench of the man causes him to retch, giving the slaver the opening he needs to grasp the Norscan's wrists and attempt to throw him off.

Mathuviel, Kragg, and Angran close in as the two men struggle in the surf. As he sees the ragged bunch of escaped slaves out of the corner of his eye, Growt's rage boils over, and he fairly shouts at Erik, though their faces are mere inches apart. Though his speech is thickly accented and slurred terribly, Erik nevertheless understands the man's attempt at Norscan. "You die first! Then I'll have to fashion myself a scourge from your entrails, to beat the rest of the slaves back into submission."

Erik's grapple succeeds!
Growt's dodge, not so much: Grappling Growt: 1d100 86.
Strength vs. Erik: 1d100 74
2 Degrees of Failure for Growt's opposed Strength test vs. Erik, so the Norscan retains control of grapple if he gets 2 DOF or fewer. If that is the case, in the coming round round he can roll for unarmed damage or he can begin the arduous process of choking the other man out (following the usual suffocation/drowning rules). Otherwise the grapple is broken and Erik will need to re-establish control before doing anything else.

Friedrich can act last in this round, if he wishes. Mathuviel can attack in the coming round; Kragg, who was moving more carefully, can attack the round after that, as can Angran, who is bringing up the rear.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel's first few steps along the beach are unsteady after the long days in a cramped hold. This does not stop her from going onwards, quick in step, along the beach towards the fight. The norscan has, thank fates, already almost gotten a chokehold on the fat foul slaver. Amazingly, she can see the first freedman is still just ambling around with a confused look on his face.

"Don't just stand there! Help us get Growt!" she yells at him, hoping to spur the simple peasant to action.

Then there is no more time for words, as she shoulders towards the stinking wretch, attempting to hang on to the slaver's club-wielding hand and give him a right wicked grin as she does. While still weak, she won't have to hold on for long. Too many slaves have already been freed and are on their way.

Would it be possible to aid in a grapple? I'd like to help Erik here out, make his checks easier, if it is possible. If not, Charge on Growt, improvised attack. +20 WS if Erik's grapple holds.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	41	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	7/10	5	2/2

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 27, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

I slogged through the rising waves towards the struggle on the beach, and my revenge. I only hope I am not too late.

Moving towards Growt.
pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
41	31	31	41	21

A	W	M	FP
1	12/12	3	2/2

Skills:
Dodge Blow

Talents:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

Showing a talent for following orders and a clarity to know which side of a brawl, friendly or not, to fight on. As the Norscan grapples with Growt, Friedrich takes the opportunity to kick the slaver in the gut.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	31	31	31	31

A	W	M	FP
1	11/11	4	4/3

Skills:
Concealment, Set Trap, Silent Move

Talents:
Ambidextrous, Luck, SWG (Sling)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

The man's stench was an unbearable mixture of rotgut ship hooch and body odour, and Erik felt his eyes watering at it. But his anger clears his head, and he feels the man grab onto him in an attempt to buck him off; Erik wrenches his hand free and clenches it, backhanding Growt with the back of his fist. He needed to show the fat bastard that he had the upper hand here, even if he wasn't doing any significant damage to him. He looks up, seeing three of his ship mates coming to help. He grins down at Growt, leaning forward to whisper in Norscan.

"There will be no scourge, slavemaster; there will be no ship. Do not be an idiot; the ship is lost. We are free. And we will kill you for your indignities upon us."

He sits up, straddling the man's gut, and reaches for the saber at his side.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4448512/ 1 DoF, so I win, hooray. The smack is for effect, not for damage, though I am going to try to take his sword while I have him under my control.

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
36	31	36	41	36

A	W	M	FP
1	11/11	4	2/3

Talents: 
Menacing
Quick Draw

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
While the Norscan has Growt pinned, he reaches for the slaver's sword, but with his free hand Growt grabs ahold of the hilt and refuses to relinquish his weapon. Mathuviel attempts to pin down Growt's arm wielding the club, while Friedrich aims a kick at the man's midsection. However, the continued chaotic struggle between Erik and Growt prevents either attack from succeeding. Growt, meanwhile, aims his weapon for Erik's face, but without sufficient leverage to apply his prodigious strength, his swing is ineffectual.

Rather than try to coordinate a whole series of interdependent rolls from various people, I just took care of the dice for this round:
Erik's Strength to grapple the sword from Growt:
Strength vs. Growt: 1d100 36 -- a basic success
Growt's Strength to resist:
Strength vs Erik: 1d100 48 -- also a basic success, leading to a stalemate over the sword.

Friedrich's attack:
Boot to the Head: 1d100 70 -- a miss, even with the bonus due to Growt being grappled.
Mathuviel's grapple:
I Wanna Hold Your Hand: 1d100 62 -- a miss, even with the bonus due to Growt being grappled.
Growt's counterattack:
Going clubbing: 1d100 89 -- a miss, fortunately, with the added benefit that he didn't contest Erik's control of the grapple.

We're pretty much where we were last round, with Erik in control of the grapple -- except now Mathuviel, Friedrich, Kragg, and Angran can all get in on the action. Note that attacks are at +20 WS because Growt is grappled, but also at -5 WS because of his Foul Stench mutation.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Angran

He feels a little late to the fight. Keys. Mathuviel mentioned keys. Finally getting close enough to look the disgusting slaver up and down, Angran tries to sight the keys. With two others holding Growt down and another attempting to pummel him, Angran goes for it with one hand trying to cover his own nose.

I'd like to try to snatch the keys on his belt if I can see them in the action. If I can't, Angran sees the second fastest way to obtain the keys as knocking him out. Angran would attempt to hit Growt squarely with his makeshift "weapon".

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	36	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	7/10 	5	2/2

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

"Just give up, you stinking sonoffawhore," curses Mathuviel as she's forced back from the melee. She reaches out again to try and twist the slaver's weaponhand into some manner of hold and very nearly does, too, until her nose catches the odious, sulphur-like smell from the mutant's armpit, causing her to shy away in disgust.

Unnatural, unclean and unbearable: Growt in a nutshell.

"Ugh," grunts the elf wearily, deciding better of trying to make skin contact again.

Grappling again.

Grapple 42, 43, stench/fatigue base fail

:argh:

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	41	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	7/10	5	2/2

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

I wrapped the broken ends of my chains around my knuckles and grinned nastily at that bastard Growt as I closed on him and the Norscan. They weren't proper knuckledusters, but they were a drat sight better than nothing and I was doubly thankful for the separation they provided from the slaver's stench as my fist slammed into his gut.

Is this right?
Attack Growt 41ws+10Street Fighting+20grapple: 1d100u71 37 forgot the -5 from Growt, so down to 2DoS 2 DoS
damage Growt -4unarmed+3str+1mighty blow+1streetfight: 1d10+1 5

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
41	31	31	41	21

A	W	M	FP
1	12/12	3	2/2

Skills:
Dodge Blow

Talents:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Been extremely busy so here's my strength roll to get that sword.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4454154/ Assuming I'm being helped and getting at least +10 for a vs 46. Otherwise, vs 36.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

Friedrich, being a man of determination, keeps kicking the man being grappled. But being a peasant of inexperienced, maybe even cowardly nature, he can't actually land an attack worth anything.

81 to attack. Friedrich is not very good at this fighting thing.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
As they crowd around the hated slaver, Mathuviel, Friedrich, and Angran all attempt to grab, pummel, kick, or otherwise injure Growt. Friedrich finds that he can't get close enough to land a decent blow, while the other two find themselves far too close for their liking. Choking back the bile rising in their throats at the horrid stench, they cannot seem to fight as effectively as they might like.

The dwarf, however, is made of sterner stuff, and Kragg's chain-wrapped fist lands solidly in the man's midsection, his grimy leather armor notwithstanding. Growt grunts as the blow lands, but he does not seem significantly fazed by it, focused as he is on grappling with Erik for control of his weapons. After several more moments of struggle, the Norseman is finally able to wrest the sword from Growt's grasp, though his advantageous position astride the man's chest becomes far more precarious as the pinned man kicks and thrashes like a ferocious animal.

Meanwhile, water continues to find its way into the hold where Otto and Ilsa await the outcome of the desperate struggle just outside. Their conversation, such as it is, is interrupted by the panicked squeaking of a handful rats that have begun to claw their way into the hold through the shattered planks from the bilge below.

Whacking Growt: 1d100 50. Angran would have been rolling against a 51, had it not been for Growt's B.O.
Growt: Grappling: 1d100 71. Failure -- Erik gains control of the sword!
Growt: Grappling: 1d100 64. Erik needs 1 degree of failure or better on his Strength test to maintain control of the grapple, or Growt extricates himself. That occurs on Growt's turn, so Erik -- and everyone else -- can act on their own turns in the coming round.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

With the sword in his hands, Erik whips the blade around and leans forward, pressing it against Growt's neck. He stares the man in the eyes, his teeth bared. When he speaks, it is in Reikspiel rather than Norscan. "You are done, Growt. We wish you dead, but surrender, and we show you the mercy you never show us." He keeps the sword against the man's neck and sits up slightly, glancing to the dwarf.

"Get his chain. Friedrich! Get the keys."

Intimidating Growt into submission. 36 + 10 for Menacing = 46. Dunno if him being out numbered and me having his sword will mean anything.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4455655/ Intimidate vs 46, 36 rolled

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4457780/ Opposed strength vs 46, 33

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 5, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

As the other Nord turns out to have things more in hand than Mathuviel had dared hope, she makes a different move on the struggling slaver. Holding her breath she reaches for the man's pockets as the blade is turned against him, hoping the distraction proves sufficient to successfully commit her filching. While the Nord is hopeful that Growt might surrender, Mathuviel has no such confidence in the sanity of men. Best get it quickly, before the bastard gets the chance to throw the key to the sea.

Thinking Growt will not cooperate in giving up the keys, Mathuviel will have a go after them with her Sleight of Hand.

Sleight of Hand 37, 38, fatigue fail

:catstare:

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag
31	41	31	31	41

A	W	M	FP
1	7/10	5	2/2

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
vs. Erik: 1d100 82
poo poo, Growt, get it together! You were supposed to be a challenge that would take the whole party working together to overcome, and would leave no one unscathed.
Ah, well, it looks like the repulsive slaver was really just a fragile, insecure bully after all...

Growt's struggle proves fruitless as Erik retains the upper hand. And once the sword is at his throat, his expression changes from a fierce snarl to one of abject fear. Despite the assault upon his senses from Growt's foul stench, Erik thinks that the man may have just voided his bowels as well. With the fight gone completely out of him, Mathuviel finds it significantly easier to extricate they keyring from his belt. Once the elf backs away with her prize, Growt glances hesitantly at the sword pressed to his throat, waiting for Erik's next move.

Mathuviel's task is made Routine (+10%) by Growt's lack of resistance, so it is a success after all!
Since he's been defeated, more or less, I may as well post this here for your edification:

pre:
Growt
ex-Reaver, Slaver
WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	WP	Fel
56*	43*	51	42	44*	28*	37	4

A	W	SB	TB	M	Ma	IP	FP
2	16	5	4	4	0	3	0

* Not including -30 penalty due to being on the verge of Stinking Drunk

Weapons:
Hand Weapon (Club)
Hand Weapon (Short Sword)

Armor:
Leather Jerkin (AP 1)

Talents:
Hardy
Menacing
Specialist Weapon Group (Entangling)
Strike to Injure
Warrior Born

Skills:
Common Knowledge (Norsca), Consume Alcohol, Dodge Blow, Sail, 
Scale Sheer Surface, Speak Language (Norscan, Orrakh, Reikspiel), Swim,
Drive, Evaluate, Follow Trail, Haggle, Intimidate, Torture

Mutations:
Crossbreed (Orc)
Foul Stench (-20 Fel, opponents have -5 WS in melee)

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 3, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

A fight won far more swiftly and easily than Mathuviel had expected. The norscan ex-slave makes for a terror it seems, not that this is a bad thing under the current circumstances; an easy victory is much welcome. Kragg, too, has proven capable in a fight, as she had hoped, while the other human and Angran (and herself, to be honest) are clearly not so skilled.

"Don't trouble yourself Fridreech. I've already taken the keys," she comments with a wry grin and holds up the keychain before stepping over to Kragg. She unlocks the dwarf's shackles, then does the same for Angran, Friedrich and Erik. Once all the freed slaves have been unburdened, she looks back at the boat and starts walking toward it.

"Do what you want with the slaver, norscan, I don't care, but we should look for food and water, better gear and anything of use, before the ship is lost."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

With the others removing their shackles, Erik keeps his new blade to the slaver's neck. "I will stand up, slowly. And you are to stand with me. Leave the club on the ground." He begins to stand, and glances to the dwarf. "Get his hands behind him. Shackle him. We will not kill him or hurt him, but we will not leave him here to sober and do the same to us."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

"Are you sure we can't kill him? Just a little?" I used Angran's manacles to secure that filthy scum sucking slaver before giving Mathuviel the all-clear to unbind the Norsican's shackles. Then used his shackles to bind the foul-smelling cretin's ankles. "That ought to hold him for a bit, I still think it's safer to knock him unconscious at least." I turned away from the filthy human in disgust. Even we smelt better, and we'd been chained up in the bottom of a stinking slave ship with neither fresh wind nor water for who knew how long.

I started to climb up the side of the ship, but the adrenaline that had carried me through the fight abandoned me. My overstrained muscles refused to obey any longer and as I reached for the next handhold I slipped and fell back into the water below.

Climb the ship: 1d100 97 So many degrees of failure.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Otto

Otto rattles his chains, hopelessly. He's doomed. Drowning is a quick death, he's heard, at least. He thinks for a minute of Fritz Bayer's son Hanse, who had drowned in a pond in the forest. Fritz and Hannelore were distraught, of course, but the boy, at least, looked peaceful. The rest of the slaves who could escape had already, leaving he and Ilsa down in the hold. Well, good for them, he supposed. At least they'd get out safely, even if he couldn't. His only consolation, such as it is, is hearing the squeals of the drowning rats. He's always hated rats.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Angran

"I don't think to leave him is any good," Angran says, pointing towards Growt with one hand while the other covers his own mouth. The left-effects of a dry heave are heard in Angran's voice. "Can't trust him. But I've no say in it eitherway." Angran knows it's not really his choice, so far proving effectively useless in almost all respects.

He might as well keep on with what he has going for him and being of use where he can. He knows Mathuviel will head back to free the others and he would like to be there too, just in case he is needed. Everything else is under control. He goes bounding back to the ship, enjoying his new-found freedom.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Friedrich

Friedrich is no match for the supernatural speed of an elf and doesn't reach the keys in time. But, seeing as he is already crouching, he decides to grab Growt's club. No point in letting a perfectly fine beating stick go to waste.

Grabbing Growt's weapon

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Growt stands morosely as he is restrained by Kragg, and remains mute as Erik and Friedrich stand guard over him, girded with his own weapons. Angran and Mathuviel return to the ship to free the others. Once Kragg is finished with Growt, he returns to the ship as well, but the rain-slickened timbers end up foiling his attempts to reach the deck, and he adds a few new bruises to his growing collection.

I assume Kragg is trying to get to the main deck? Given the large boulder up against the hull, getting into the hold doesn't require any kind of roll, so Angran and Mathuviel can narrate their rescue of Otto and Ilsa as they wish.
What's the plan once the party is all free?

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 18, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

"If the norscan wants to keep the slaver around it's his responsibility. As long as Growt can't do me any harm, and is kept downwind, that's fair enough for me," says Mathuviel as she, Angran and Kragg heads back to the ship. Reaching the stranded vessel, she scales up the boulder ground into the hull, taking care to watch her step and not slip on the slick wet stone. She has just entered the hold, offering one hand to Angran to help him in and giving a small wave to the humans with the keychain in her other hand, when she spots the dwarf crashing back down on the outside.

"Ouch," she says with a small sympathic wince. From half inside the hold the elf peers back down out, but when she sees the dwarf is sturdy enough not to appear to have taken lasting damage, she simply looks bemusedly over at Angran. Nobody could accuse dwarves of being lithe or graceful creatures, after all. It seemed like this was a job for an elf.

"Just give it a moment, Kragg! I'll see if I can't get you some rope," is shouted down as Mathuviel offers the keys to Angran. "Please take care of freeing the others. I'll go up top."

Her words are confident and she seems sure that she can manage the fairly basic task of climbing the few remaining feet up.

Moments later Mathuviel is left to wonder whether it had been hubris, fate or sheer misfortune that sent her tumbling as she sprawls on the seashore alongside, if not on top of, Kragg.

"I think... that this might not be my lucky month."

Scale Sheer surface, 57, 96, 3 DoF

Welp. Hello Kragg.

The plan as far as I'm concerned is to loot the hell out of that ship once I actually get up there. Food, water, weapons, coin, cloth, rope, whatever's available for salvage and seems useful to a stranded party. Asking Growt where we are, searching the area for a place to set up for the night, are all secondary objectives, since the ship could get torn to sea whenever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kragg Gehanborson

I was just getting my feet back under me when the elf landed right on top of me. Back under the water I went. Struggling back to my feet again I wrung my beard out. Water pouring down as I squeezed my thick beard as dry as it could get while I was standing in the ocean. "At least she you're lighter than a Dwarven lass. Not that much heavier than Dwarven bread come to think of it."

Yeah, I was trying to climb onto the top deck. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Scribbleykins posted:

The plan as far as I'm concerned is to loot the hell out of that ship once I actually get up there. Food, water, weapons, coin, cloth, rope, whatever's available for salvage and seems useful to a stranded party. Asking Growt where we are, searching the area for a place to set up for the night, are all secondary objectives, since the ship could get torn to sea whenever.

Pretty much this. Also, any wood/planks we can tear free. Most of the wood on ships is covered in pitch to make it water tight, so it burns really well. With this much wind, we'll really want a fire tonight.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Erik

Taking the scabbard from Growt, who has now become meek in his defeat, Erik lashes the belt around his waist and slides the blade into the scabbard, feeling the comforting weight of a weapon on his hip. It felt right.

He looks around for a moment, thinking. "Where are we, slaver? Where were we headed and where have we crashed?" He continues to glance around, keeping his hand on his sword; even though the slaver's ankles were bound and his hands were behind his back, he didn't trust the man as far as he could throw him. He also knew the temptation to simply shove the man down face first in the water and hold him there with his foot was far too tempting, and he was glad for the simpleton; he could not be as base as expected if he knew people would know. The idea brought him shame, that the others would simply see him as they would expect a Norscan to be; ruthless and cold blooded. He did not want that, even though they were strangers.

Erik knew this may be a turning point for him, for his future. He did not want to be a simple weapon for hire; he wanted to lead. He wanted to be more. Still, looking at Growt, he knew Friedrich probably wouldn't count a punch to the gut against him.

Not that he would do it, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mathuviel Thylenin

Mathuviel gives Kragg an amused look while she quickly struggles to her feet again to get out of the cold water. She's grateful the dwarf seems to have a (dwarf's) sense of humor, or at least is not quick to take offense.

"So 'dwarf iron ration' isn't really a misnomer, then? I'd wondered," she quips and takes off her shirt, wringing out as much of the cold water as she can, before donning it again. The freezing combination of water and wind is really starting to numb her skin which, while a bad sign, at least lessens the stinging of saltwater in her wounds... and when that is a positive thought of the day, Mathuviel reflects, one really begins to consider the merits of curling up into a ball somewhere.

"Alright. I need to get up there now even if it kills me, if only so I can wrap myself up in a dry blanket before I die," she says in a deadly serious voice. Her determination appears to count for something, as does not weighing a whole lot, as the second climb goes off without accident and allows Mathuviel to vault herself over the gunwale.

Given that we're out of combat time and I have the best shot at accomplishing this, I'm just gonna have another go at climbing up that ship.

Scale Sheer surface, 57, 34, 2 DoS

Success! What does my elfy eyes see, Tycho?

• Locked thread