Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Song For The Deaf posted:

The new WOFF! about Jet Set Radio is out. We dig it.

I enjoyed this episode and think your overall take is fair (although I tend to be more forgiving of the gameplay frustrations), but I do have to disagree with the "we don't really need another Jet Set Radio" sentiment. I mean, I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that Jet Set Radio is pretty much a complete expression of those mechanics that doesn't really need iteration, but I'd argue there's still a lot of room to express the same basic ideas/aesthetic through different stories or mechanic sets. Granted, most of the reason I desperately want a new JSR is because I desperately want a new JSR soundtrack, but even so I legitimately think the world needs more colorful cel-shaded games where the central mechanic is mobility and the primary theme is self-expression in the face of conformity/corporatism/general squareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Are we four weeks from a new Thumbs theme song? I love the current one, but it's always great to hear what Chris comes up with.

Oh god we're near 200 already!?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I want to see the WOFF people do Persona

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

icantfindaname posted:

I want to see the WOFF people do Persona

Persona 3 was up for the last summer RPG poll but Suikoden 2 won. I'd still like to see that or Persona 4 at some point

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Based on things I've heard Riff say on VGHD, I'd lean closer to Persona 4 than Persona 3 in the future if/when we approach that series.

We have to be incredibly strategic about which JRPGs we do because they blow out our capacity for a month at a time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do SMT Nocturne and quit the first time you die.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Based on things I've heard Riff say on VGHD, I'd lean closer to Persona 4 than Persona 3 in the future if/when we approach that series.

Agreed 100%. JRPGs are a really weird genre in which to feel a sequel obsoletes its predecessor but that's definitely the case with Persona 3 and 4 in my opinion.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

We have to be incredibly strategic about which JRPGs we do because they blow out our capacity for a month at a time.

The Vita version will be the one to play, if you guys are equipped for it.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Yeah, Persona 4 would probably be a better fit for you guys. Although everybody has their own tastes, P4 is generally thought to have the advantage in terms of gameplay and writing over P3. The P4 Golden edition for Vita also has crisp graphics and a lot of quality-of-life improvements to gameplay, while P3 Portable actually has significant cuts to overworld and cutscene presentation. Shows what difference a handheld generation can make. The only argument for P3 is that the story is a lot more bleak and depressing, so Gary'd probably like it better. :suicide:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Eponymous posted:

Yeah, Persona 4 would probably be a better fit for you guys. Although everybody has their own tastes, P4 is generally thought to have the advantage in terms of gameplay and writing over P3. The P4 Golden edition for Vita also has crisp graphics and a lot of quality-of-life improvements to gameplay, while P3 Portable actually has significant cuts to overworld and cutscene presentation. Shows what difference a handheld generation can make. The only argument for P3 is that the story is a lot more bleak and depressing, so Gary'd probably like it better. :suicide:

.... I do like Persona 3 more than 4. But to be fair, I didn't get far into 4 before getting distracted and then the disc getting scratched to all hell.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Szmitten posted:

Oh god we're near 200 already!?

Yep! First episode post Kickstarter was 65. Kind of crazy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

There have been twice as many post-KS Idle Thumbses as pre-KS ones????

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Eponymous posted:

The only argument for P3 is that the story is a lot more bleak and depressing, so Gary'd probably like it better. :suicide:

When it comes to the writing, I thought the main storyline was far more satisfying in P3, but there's a richer tapestry of incidental crap in 4. Such good games. I never thought I'd like a JRPG!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Every day is great at your Junes!

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah it's terrifying.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Persona 4 definitely has better gameplay than any version of Persona 3, but honestly anyone who really likes JRPGs should play both games as well as both parts of Persona 2 because they're frankly freaking epic and call me in the morning

Persona 4 takes a while to get into but I think it sticks the landing a lot better than 3

Timett posted:

Every day is great at your Junes!

Baku fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 6, 2015

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ja2ke posted:

yeah it's terrifying.

Long after you are gone, early 21st century video games scholars will write dissertations about the semiotics of Puffins Babboo Wizzard

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

And yet the T-shirt I got from the Kickstarter is still going strong. Those are some drat good shirts apparently.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I love Persona 4 but I can't see the WOFF guys playing through it without getting frustrated. It is long. Like, one of the longest JRPGs I have ever played.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The opening skit for this WOFF is loving MAGICAL.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

I love Persona 4 but I can't see the WOFF guys playing through it without getting frustrated. It is long. Like, one of the longest JRPGs I have ever played.

Persona 4 is a long rpg, but well-paced for its content and story. I mean if we were cruel, we could suggest Suikoden IV or V, the latter which probably has the slowest build-up in the history of games.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

Yeah, I would definitely play Persona 4 first if you've never approached the series, but it's a beefy-rear end game. I wasn't poopsocking by any means, but I'm pretty sure I clocked in at just over 100 hours on the PS2 version--no idea how much the expanded content on the Vita adds to that.

But I really want WOFF to do Grim Fandango now that I've played and reviewed the Remastered version, because most of its puzzles are just terrible. Really made me remember why I always stalled out on Rubacava whenever I tried to replay it.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 6, 2015

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We'll probably end up at Grim Fandango at some point but probably not too soon. Assuming we don't die in the interim, of course.

As for P4 or P3, it'd take considerable planning. We'd need to do it as a 3 parter and start well in advance while doing really light games. It's possible, and those games are interesting as hell, but it's just difficult with our non pod lives.

Phone posted:

Thank you (blushing emoticon).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

bobservo posted:

Yeah, I would definitely play Persona 4 first if you've never approached the series, but it's a beefy-rear end game. I wasn't poopsocking by any means, but I'm pretty sure I clocked in at just over 100 hours on the PS2 version--no idea how much the expanded content on the Vita adds to that.

It's a give and take. They added another main character, an extra dungeon, and about 4 more activities but it's probably evened out by all the hours you save from not reset-scumming for skills since they made it pick-and-plop.

It's also graphically superior by a big margin outside of playing the original on an emulator.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Phone posted:

Holy poo poo, this is an understatement. From the annoying-rear end girl who says "shorts", to all the beauty in the world, that was amazing.

When you two were talking about tagging at the beginning of the episode it made me want to play the Warriors, so I was very happy that you brought it up in the ep. When is that going to be the game for the show?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Woffle posted:

Thank you (blushing emoticon).

JSR is one of my most favourite games of all time, I really enjoyed the episode!

However, I really want to buy this game on steam but I heard that it doesn't allow you to save or it pretends like it does but it actually doesn't, can you please link me the method you used to keep your saved games? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

it's such a huge shame because I love this game to death yet sega keeps insisting on making GBS threads on their own legacy by making broken ports.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

JSR is one of my most favourite games of all time, I really enjoyed the episode!

However, I really want to buy this game on steam but I heard that it doesn't allow you to save or it pretends like it does but it actually doesn't, can you please link me the method you used to keep your saved games? I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

it's such a huge shame because I love this game to death yet sega keeps insisting on making GBS threads on their own legacy by making broken ports.

Thanks!

You can get around the save thing pretty easily. Grab it on steam and check the forum. Many solutions therein.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Speaking of which, why HASNT JSR future been ported yet? every console under the sun has been emulated, what's so hard about the original XBOX?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Is that save thing a recent development? I played the JSR port when it came out on Steam and had no issues whatsoever.

Al-Saqr posted:

Speaking of which, why HASNT JSR future been ported yet? every console under the sun has been emulated, what's so hard about the original XBOX?
Future is actually backwards compatible on the 360 with minor issues, so you can play it that way if you really want to. As for why it hasn't been ported, that's probably because it's an atrocious piece of poo poo unworthy of the JSR name. Thankfully, the music (the only redeeming feature) can be enjoyed on any platform you'd like.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Al-Saqr posted:

every console under the sun has been emulated, what's so hard about the original XBOX?
My understanding is that there's been relatively little interest compared to other consoles, plus a bunch of important hardware is still poorly documented because nVidia.

Lork posted:

Future is actually backwards compatible on the 360 with minor issues
The minor issues for me included the game running running like absolute dog poo poo, which is kind of a bummer.

The soundtrack really is the best part of either game, though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I thought it had to do with the BIOS being essentially impossible to hack because it's reskinned Windows and is a loving disaster?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

icantfindaname posted:

I thought it had to do with the BIOS being essentially impossible to hack because it's reskinned Windows and is a loving disaster?

Not entirely, but along those lines: http://ngemu.com/threads/why-is-xbox-emulation-premature.132032/

That was 2013 or so, not much has changed. CXBX does..kinda run Turok though? Not much else.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I figure it's been suggested before, but I didn't see it in the OP, so...
Stumled across a podcast on game history much like retronaughts, and I've really liked it so far. It's called Gaming History 101, and can be found here ( http://www.allgames.com/gh ) or on iTunes under the name Fred Rojas. There's a complimentary YouTube channel too, but I never found it to be that interesting.

It's pretty much a more casual version of retronaughts, and it's usually done live with a stream chat getting involved sometimes. On the one hand the casual nature of the show means it can be "less professional", but on the other hand they seem to cover a little more than retronaughts and have more diverse topics. Honestly, they seem to do about the same amount of research when they can, so it's more of a compliment to the other podcast. They don't have the same amount of resources though. Although, minor issue, but they talk over each other a hell of a lot less than retronaughts. That always bothered me.

Just thought I'd share, hope I'm not just repeating a well known podcast.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Bel Monte posted:

Stumled across a podcast on game history much like retronaughts, and I've really liked it so far. It's called Gaming History 101, and can be found here ( http://www.allgames.com/gh ) or on iTunes under the name Fred Rojas. There's a complimentary YouTube channel too, but I never found it to be that interesting.

It's pretty much a more casual version of retronaughts, and it's usually done live with a stream chat getting involved sometimes. On the one hand the casual nature of the show means it can be "less professional", but on the other hand they seem to cover a little more than retronaughts and have more diverse topics. Honestly, they seem to do about the same amount of research when they can, so it's more of a compliment to the other podcast. They don't have the same amount of resources though. Although, minor issue, but they talk over each other a hell of a lot less than retronaughts. That always bothered me.

Thanks for posting.
Never knew about it. Will check it out.

Thanks to this thread i have discovered WOFF and the level and i really enjoy those.

Keep em coming!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bel Monte posted:

Kole and I have guested on an episode of this each, in case you want a comfortable place to start. They're good dudes.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Lork posted:

As for why it hasn't been ported, that's probably because it's an atrocious piece of poo poo unworthy of the JSR name. Thankfully, the music (the only redeeming feature) can be enjoyed on any platform you'd like.

I'm curious to know why you think it's so bad. It didn't knock my socks off to the degree that the original did, but I thought it had its charms.

I remember feeling like it let me noodle around and appreciate the world more than the first, which I enjoyed.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I'm curious to know why you think it's so bad. It didn't knock my socks off to the degree that the original did, but I thought it had its charms.

I remember feeling like it let me noodle around and appreciate the world more than the first, which I enjoyed.
I played it a few months ago expecting to come away feeling like you seem to, but I don't think there's any game in recent memory that I've hated as much as this one.

There's a mile long list of annoyances, but the thing that really killed it for me is the absolutely abysmal course design. Instead of the open loop designs of the original, they went for incredibly awkward, linear platforming challenges. I lost count of the number of times I got stuck because I couldn't find the one way forward, and then it turned out that I had to spend 5 minutes grinding up a bunch of rails and then do six wallrides in a row (and hope they don't glitch out and send me in the wrong direction) to jump into some dark corner that I never had the opportunity to even look at in the first place thanks to the awful camera system... And then had to do it all again including the 5 minutes of rail grinding, because I screwed up somewhere up ahead (probably because one of the pre-planned rail jumps didn't work as intended) and fell back down to the beginning... multiple times. I want to stress that I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that the game will happily make you do 5+ minutes of backtracking if you screw up the wrong jump.

Even if it was executed well, this linear design just seems so antithetical to the very idea of Jet Set Radio. What happened to freestyling your way through the courses, spraying tags as you saw them and messing around as you saw fit? In Future I constantly felt like I was in some lovely Crash Bandicoot level, but with controls and camera completely unsuited to the task.

There's too many general annoyances to list, but I feel like I need to give the two most egregious ones their due:

-Liked skillfully dodging the cops in the original? Then you'll love being locked in a closet with them and forced to do painfully awkward battle while saddled with the worst camera imaginable! Who thought this was a good idea? Who thought this was an improvement over the way enemies were handled in the first game?
-Apparently they had the impression that people thought it was too hard to land on rails in the original (nobody actually thought this), so they made the tolerance for sticking to a rail way, way too big. As a result, if you find yourself airborne anywhere within 2 kilometers of a rail, you will automagically be sucked on to it whether you intended to or not. As an added bonus, there's no way to get off of a rail without being flung in some direction that you probably didn't want to go. I ended up falling off of things and being forced to backtrack many times due to this "fun quirk"

I somehow managed to get all the way through the truly wretched sewer level and ensuing boss fight before finally giving up. It completely failed to capture anything at all about what I liked about the first game, so I could see no reason to continue. I guess it technically lets you noodle around more than the first one since there's no time limit, but why would you want to spend even a second longer than you have to in those awful courses?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sounds to me like you don't understand understand, understand understand, understand understand, the concept of the concept of love.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mierenneuker posted:

Sounds to me like you don't understand understand, understand understand, understand understand, the concept of the concept of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Bel Monte posted:

Thanks, I was getting bored of listening to the same people over and over.

• Locked thread