Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woffle posted:

This is true. Dark Souls 2 is very much a sequel. I was expecting something closer to a Demon's Souls to Dark Souls relationship but it's much more direct.
That said, DS2 is also a lot more approachable for a new player. Although I personally miss the NPCs speaking in vague, circuitous Engrish.

It's almost jarring to have an NPC just say something along the lines of, "Hi. I'm the blacksmith, I will sell and reinforce weapons for you! But first, I need a key to open this door."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
The PVP in Dark Souls 2 is a blast. Meet me on the Iron Keep bridge and dragon duel me, bros.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Oh man, Body Harvest on the next Abject Suffering. I bought it over the weekend at a local retro store because I remember loving that game as a kid. You guys have probably done your research already, DMA Designs (now Rockstar North) made the game and it's pretty much a prototype version of GTA3.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What's with Jick playing 15% of a game and then having hilariously uninformed opinions on it, while Kevin awkwardly tries to have a reasonable conversation about it? It happened this week with Diablo 3, and again last week with Don't Starve.

Is this just some weird meta-commentary on Jick Is Bad at Video Games that I don't get as a new listener?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I sent in a message about Don't Starve specifically. I'm pretty sure he played like 50% of the game but did so back when it was 10% done and somehow it never occurred to anyone that the disparity between experiences might be accounted for by the amount of content in the game having increased by an order of magnitude between then and now.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Our latest episode of Retronauts is all about old video game media (magazines and websites), which is probably why it's nearly two hours long.

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=658

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

What's with Jick playing 15% of a game and then having hilariously uninformed opinions on it, while Kevin awkwardly tries to have a reasonable conversation about it? It happened this week with Diablo 3, and again last week with Don't Starve.

Is this just some weird meta-commentary on Jick Is Bad at Video Games that I don't get as a new listener?
I'm kind of enjoying it, because I usually find Kevin's arguments almost intolerably spergy, at least in part.

Zack's 100% right that likening Don't Starve to Minecraft is loving insane though. I mean I guess you build things out of resources you mug nature for?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't listened to VGHD in a while, but as a long time KoL and VGHD listener, yes Jick is bad at video games is a running thing. Not as a running gag or anything it's just something he is.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Zack's 100% right that likening Don't Starve to Minecraft is loving insane though. I mean I guess you build things out of resources you mug nature for?

Eh, I can sort of see it. The games have a lot in common and playing Don't Starve sort of reminds me of the first night of Minecraft before you actually know what you're doing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I guess it does capture the same "Oh God, I have to get this stuff built or I'm screwed, oh poo poo what's that noise?" feeling, but Minecraft - to me, at least - has always been about creation first and foremost, while Don't Starve has always been more about survival. I don't know about now, but at least in the time close to and just after release Don't Starve never felt like a game you can build cool stuff in, just functional stuff.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The latest Giant Bombcast (3/18) is good. Dave Lang of Iron Galaxy Studios is a guest, and he's super interesting. If you have followed Giant Bomb through the years, you'll know who he is, but you'll probably remember him more for screwing around with the gang than anything else.

In this podcast, he drops a lot of knowledge about various facets of the industry. He worked at Midway during some interesting times, and his current company does a lot of contract work with ports and stuff for other developers, so he has a unique perspective.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that was the best bombcast for ages. Enjoyed having patrick back on also.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I had the exact same impression of Don't Starve as Zack and I played the final as well. I'm sure it's wrong or whatever but when you open the crafting menu for the first time it looks like there really isn't much to make. Now I didn't really take to Don't Starve because I don't like babysitting meters and wandering around aimlessly hoping to stumble upon the crafting ingredient I need but that was the impression I got over the first couple of hours.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Al! posted:

I had the exact same impression of Don't Starve as Zack and I played the final as well. I'm sure it's wrong or whatever but when you open the crafting menu for the first time it looks like there really isn't much to make. Now I didn't really take to Don't Starve because I don't like babysitting meters and wandering around aimlessly hoping to stumble upon the crafting ingredient I need but that was the impression I got over the first couple of hours.

My biggest problem with Don't Starve, in the build I played at least, was the over reliance on gold. If you spawned in a biome where gold was rare/hard to get to you were more or less boned.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Woffle posted:

My biggest problem with Don't Starve, in the build I played at least, was the over reliance on gold. If you spawned in a biome where gold was rare/hard to get to you were more or less boned.

Yeah I had the same issue. Some games you'd have maps filled with beefalo and gold, and on some you couldn't find any at all.

Also trees took way too loving long to chop down with the basic tools. I haven't played in months so maybe I should give it a shot again.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I'm surprised there's no mention of ContinueCast. It's a twice monthly podcast where four guys play a retro game and discuss it across two episodes. Their older episodes are more a bit more structured around the game than recent ones, but overall it really shines because of their chemistry. I know it sounds like another "four guys talk video games" podcast, but it's really fantastic. :shobon:

If a particular game they did doesn't jump out at you then I'd recommend the Earthbound episodes as a starting point.

iTunes / RSS

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Nice Mena Suvari namedrop, Bob. You got a chuckle out of me.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey Gary I found a new version of Mario Paint Composer for you to try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
for some reason Cory Banks is ruining podcasts that hes appearing in. i dont know why, but something about his personality just rubs me the wrong way.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Hey Gary I found a new version of Mario Paint Composer for you to try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY

That's something. Now I need to check out Skullgirls.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
That particular video was done with a program feeding in the inputs, but you can totally just play a little trumpet solo in the middle of a match, it's great. Big Band is currently only available in the beta client but you can access that with any Steam copy of the game. In a week or two he'll be in the main client and console versions as free (for a couple months) DLC.

On a related note, are there any podcasts (other than maybe the Bombcast?) that have fighting games on the radar as anything more than a curiosity?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

On a related note, are there any podcasts (other than maybe the Bombcast?) that have fighting games on the radar as anything more than a curiosity?

The Super Best Friendcast!

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

I didn't like these dudes at first but they really grew on me, the hypest podcast around (they actually like videogames)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My work schedule has changed recently to where I'm rather busy during the day, but my ears are free, so I'm in the market for podcasts.

I like WOFF/BSC, but I've only played a handful of the games they've covered. Are there any other "book club" style shows? Other games getting the BSC treatment would be ideal, but I seriously doubt that exists. I don't really care about gaming news, so it doesn't need to be current.

Another issue for me is audio consistency. I tried listening to a recent episode of Idle Thumbs, but I had to constantly adjust my volume because one guy's voice was lower in the mix. Eventually I just gave up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idle Thumbs usually is pretty good about audio levels, and you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not listening to it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

HMS Boromir posted:

I sent in a message about Don't Starve specifically. I'm pretty sure he played like 50% of the game but did so back when it was 10% done and somehow it never occurred to anyone that the disparity between experiences might be accounted for by the amount of content in the game having increased by an order of magnitude between then and now.

I've never played the game, but the annoying part about the discussion to me was them arguing about how many different things there are to craft. Their numbers were off by about an order of magnitude, so obviously someone is more correct, but instead of looking it up the solution is a "nuh-uh" vs. "yeah-huh" style debate.

Zach had me on his side for the conversation topic of car-beers being OK, but a lot of that podcast seems to be him arguing qualitative opinions as cold-hard facts.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think my favorite Zach rant was the one about how password protecting phones is a dumb thing to do for most people.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Zach had me on his side for the conversation topic of car-beers being OK, but a lot of that podcast seems to be him arguing qualitative opinions as cold-hard facts.
Yeah that's him in a nutshell. If it bothers you then Video Game Shot Dog probably isn't for you.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: dumb joke making fun of the last poster saying 'Video Games Shot Dog'

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Zach's idiosyncrasies are one of my favorite parts of Video Games Hot Dog.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
This Zach guy sounds like a real rear end in a top hat.

On the other hand Video Games Hot Dog is my favorite shitteo shame podcast.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm pretty much OK with Zack's arguments, because generally speaking I agree at least mostly, if not entirely. Now Kevin's apparent inability to remove his crippling OCD or whatever it is from evaluating a game, that is what frequently gets to me. But I actually like that, it's good to have one of the podcasts where it's not all happy joy fun times agreement party all the time, both within the podcast and between me and it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Strange, 'cause I'm literally the opposite, where I usually disagree with Zach when it comes to videogames and possibly a few too many of his personal opinions. On the other hand, I enjoy the fact that Riff and Kevin are also there to help give it a different tone to pretty much any other podcast. So when there's a disagreement, it's at least more interesting than Idle Thumbs where they only ever agree on anything.

But on the other hand, it is a bit frustrating when the Don't Starve argument boils down to Zach saying, "I had a bad experience and the fact that the game could easily create a bad experience means that it is a bad game," while Kevin says, "the fact that the game can create a bad experience does not discount that it can create a good expeience and therefore can't be a bad game." Which distilled into another form basically means, "this game is subjectively bad, therefore it's bad" and "the game can be subjectively good, therefore it shouldn't be bad" which are arguing for two different arguements; which are two different arguements for two different debates which inevitably ends with a

"nuh-uh" vs. "yeah-huh" style debate.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So no new Idle Thumbs this week?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I gather from twitter that recording may have been done tonight, given, you know. GDC.

Idle Thumbs 150 will probably be a Conf Grenade.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I can't be the only one who thinks it'd be kind of hilarious for Idle Thumbs to disappear yet again right at 150. (Of course only for like a week or something, let's not get crazy.)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

habanero walrus posted:

Yeah that's him in a nutshell. If it bothers you then Video Game Shot Dog probably isn't for you.

Don't get me wrong, I like the podcast overall. I was just replying to agree that the Don't Starve discussion went on a little long for my enjoyment as well.

Zach makes all the best puns, so that makes up for it and then some.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that when Zach doesn't espouse his bad opinions he's pretty much the best. :allears:

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Episode 150 was recorded with all five of us on Monday night and then it got corrupted somehow and we are super mad/sad. There is a conf grenade with Tom Francis coming out. Bahhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ja2ke posted:

Episode 150 was recorded with all five of us on Monday night and then it got corrupted somehow and we are super mad/sad. There is a conf grenade with Tom Francis coming out. Bahhhh.

Goddamn, you guys have the worst luck. Is that the fifth or sixth time you've lost a full episode?

• Locked thread