Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Man, I'd like to play Morrowind, but I've no idea what playstyles are actually fun and viable, like the melee combat is awful, but magic is apparently underpowered in the late game, which is weird because it's the exact kind of game where being a godlike DND 3.5 wizard would actually be amazing. Are there mods for that?
The problems with the melee combat that people like to complain about are completely front-loaded. You miss all the time very early on when your weapon skills are low, but that changes quickly as your stats go up. Once you're over that hump the melee combat is actually much better than that of Skyrim. It's exactly as deep and engaging (that is to say, not at all), but enemies don't have the ridiculously inflated hp totals of the newer games, so battles are won by a few decisive blows rather than the 5 minutes of rubbing foam swords against each other's chests that is customary in modern Elder Scrolls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I assume F is the Fart button, right?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Man, I'd like to play Morrowind, but I've no idea what playstyles are actually fun and viable, like the melee combat is awful, but magic is apparently underpowered in the late game, which is weird because it's the exact kind of game where being a godlike DND 3.5 wizard would actually be amazing. Are there mods for that?
Probably. The thing about Morrowind is that you don't need to worry about playstyle - just figure out which skills you wanna use and make sure they're not primary skills, otherwise you'll level up stupid fast and end up hosed. If you do have a goal, look up what the best weapons/etc work with that, and then early on just make a point to go grab whatever it is you want.. For instance there's a sick katana on a guard in a field in the middle of nowhere, which is really easy to get. And abuse alchemy. Make potions to increase your stats, drink those, and then make more of the same potions, rinse repeat until your numbers are ridiculously high - then make a grasshopper potion that allows you to literally leap the length o the world (make sure you've got featherfall potions to halt your momentum when you are over whatever your destination is - you'll never land except in the ocean :laugh:). Morrwind isn't really a game I'd recommend taking seriously, just break it entirely and then do whatever the heck you want, it's way funner like that.

Go crouch in a corner near an NPC for half an hour, get your sneak to 100 like that, and then you can do what you want. My favorite character used Bound Longbow on a pair of gloves, wore no armor, and used Boots of Blinding Speed to be able to outrun his own arrows. Eventually he learned some flight spells so he could hover around in the rafters of dungeons raining death from his magically unlimited supply of bound longbow shots (Bound Longbow is also the second most powerful bow in the game, so you never need to upgrade.)

Whatever you do, you definitely want boots of blinding speed, it makes the game a lot less painful when you're running around like The Flash.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

ughghghgugugugu

I both love and hate my country so so much.

e: Although I should not be surprised at anything coming from a company that gave Oliver North money.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Ulta posted:

I like the meandering tone of IT. Most of the tangents are usually video game related, interesting, and keeps everything in a conversational. Fiver forever.

For me this is the thing I love about IT and why the last few episodes have been great. Nick's story was a really funny combination of video-game mechanics as well as the interesting brain of Nick in a goofy way that was hilarious.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Morrowind is a game that can be broken in half with a little sideways thinking, you can make yourself ridiculously powerful in a few completely legitimate but pretty dumb ways, and that absolutely includes magic.

The potion, enchanting and spell crafting can combine to allow you to create spells and items so idiotically powerful they cease to be useful, because they murder everything within draw-distance including you.

Also, there are totally mods for that (aisle five, ignore all the lizard tits).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I recommend also in Morrwind, making ridiculous goals and following through with them. Like, say, stealing EVERYONE's shoes, and then finding a house you like, killing the occupants, and arranging your shoe collectionhoard in an aesthetically-pleasing manner. My funnest character was one who I arbitrarily decided, would never, ever wear armor (except for the gloves with bound longbow, and then only because the game didn't allow normal clothing items to be enchanted) and who would only wear the most expensive clothing he could steal. Then whenever I got arrested I'd lose my stolen clothes and have to run around naked until I could steal more.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey dudes, Retronauts is coming back for another season, and this time around, we'll be backed by Patreon—also, we're partnering with USgamer. Apologies in advance for this shameful plug.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

bobservo posted:

Hey dudes, Retronauts is coming back for another season, and this time around, we'll be backed by Patreon—also, we're partnering with USgamer. Apologies in advance for this shameful plug.

Why of course you can take my money!

I'm glad you guys will be back so soon.

I just realized I've essentially replaced my monthly cable bill with a pledge to support a bunch of podcasts. Totally worth it.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 4, 2014

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

bobservo posted:

Pledged! Can't wait for the new season.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Sexy Randal posted:

For me this is the thing I love about IT and why the last few episodes have been great. Nick's story was a really funny combination of video-game mechanics as well as the interesting brain of Nick in a goofy way that was hilarious.

Yep, I love the Thumbs tangents, and I like how it's not all ultra-serious analysis, though it's a different dynamic when there's five smart enthusiastic people talking at once. I really enjoyed the duo streamcasts like the Far Cry 2 stream where it was more focused and personal analysis of a game, but it's a tough thing to do with a weekly podcast which is topical by definition.

beef express fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 4, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Stumbled across Shawn Elliot's songs on youtube, hadn't heard most of them. Someone ought to make a playlist out of them but I'm :saddowns: about youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ibWjpJ1R0

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Probably. The thing about Morrowind is that you don't need to worry about playstyle - just figure out which skills you wanna use and make sure they're not primary skills, otherwise you'll level up stupid fast and end up hosed. If you do have a goal, look up what the best weapons/etc work with that, and then early on just make a point to go grab whatever it is you want.. For instance there's a sick katana on a guard in a field in the middle of nowhere, which is really easy to get. And abuse alchemy. Make potions to increase your stats, drink those, and then make more of the same potions, rinse repeat until your numbers are ridiculously high - then make a grasshopper potion that allows you to literally leap the length o the world (make sure you've got featherfall potions to halt your momentum when you are over whatever your destination is - you'll never land except in the ocean :laugh:). Morrwind isn't really a game I'd recommend taking seriously, just break it entirely and then do whatever the heck you want, it's way funner like that.

Go crouch in a corner near an NPC for half an hour, get your sneak to 100 like that, and then you can do what you want. My favorite character used Bound Longbow on a pair of gloves, wore no armor, and used Boots of Blinding Speed to be able to outrun his own arrows. Eventually he learned some flight spells so he could hover around in the rafters of dungeons raining death from his magically unlimited supply of bound longbow shots (Bound Longbow is also the second most powerful bow in the game, so you never need to upgrade.)

Whatever you do, you definitely want boots of blinding speed, it makes the game a lot less painful when you're running around like The Flash.

You're thinking of Oblivion. After you gain a few levels in Morrowind you start to outpace the leveled gains of enemies bit by bit, until by the time you hit 20 (where the leveled lists stop) there's little in the base game that is a threat to you. Also hostile NPCs don't level up, so enjoying steamrolling bandit caves with level 5 enemies guarding level 20 loot :signings:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

C-Euro posted:

You're thinking of Oblivion. After you gain a few levels in Morrowind you start to outpace the leveled gains of enemies bit by bit, until by the time you hit 20 (where the leveled lists stop) there's little in the base game that is a threat to you. Also hostile NPCs don't level up, so enjoying steamrolling bandit caves with level 5 enemies guarding level 20 loot :signings:
Levelling too quickly in Morrowind is still really obnoxious though, and if "you only outpace your enemies bit by bit", well, hope you chose the right skills because otherwise you're going to have 100 in achemy and be fighting stuff that beats the hell out of you. It took me a lot of restarts before I figured out how to game the system to not make me level 20 within a couple hours because I put Sneak my main weapon skill as a "primary".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

In case anyone was still wondering, GoodGamers.us is totally still a thing guys, even if:

quote:

When Goodgamers.us launched we had a stream of content. Articles and features that updated weekly, from reviews of the latest AAA titles to lesser known text based centaur love titles. As readers, obviously you can see there’s been rather a lull in the content we’re providing compared to how strong we started out. In that regard, we have failed you for not always keeping you informed in the current goings on. Behind the scenes we had a bout of miscommunication, leading to less pieces being published and some individuals leaving the site, including Stephanie, the original founder of Goodgamers.us.

e:
And remember, it's all about ethics in games journalology guys:

The official Twitter of Good Gamers Dot Us posted:

Any devs who want us to look at your games or would like to talk to us about your games: please email thegoodgamersus@gmail.com

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 4, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man who knew that running a website and having to constantly spit out content is hard. Hey they almost made it two months though, so good try.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think we can all agree that we need more text-based centaur love game titles.

I honestly have no idea what title that fox-eared chick with the mic is from - guess I am not known to read any major gaming sites.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 4, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Probably the worst mechanical mistake the Elder Scrolls series made in both Morrowind and Oblivion (re leveled lists) was having the amount your stats went up at each level based on how many skills you gained that level, making the game even harder than it would otherwise be if you leveled too quickly; one of the simplest fixes for the skill and level system would simply be making it so all the stats went up 3 per level (maybe 2 if you played on hard or 4 on easy or something) instead of a variable 1-5 depending on how well you understood and gamed the system.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I honestly have no idea what title that fox-eared chick with the mic is from - guess I am not known to read any major gaming sites.
That's Bayonetta in a Starfox costume I think.

e: Oh holy lol

quote:

P.s We are currently unable to get into our email at the moment,

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Oh my god what the hell is this beautiful poo poo? Is it the new COD?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

umalt posted:

Oh my god what the hell is this beautiful poo poo? Is it the new COD?

Yuuuuuup.

(much love to The GIA, incidentally)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, The GIA still exists?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

that image is honestly way funnier than the other one

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
What was the last Call of Duty that had campaigns for other countries? That was its distinguishing characteristic for the first few years. I remember seeing this trailer in a movie theater in 2003.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 4, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

TetsuoTW posted:

My thought verbatim

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

TetsuoTW posted:

They came back a couple years ago.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Hakkesshu posted:

Too much of the discussion on Thumbs lately has revolved around "here's a well-liked game that I played for an hour, let's spend 30 minutes talking about this one thing I don't like".

It's not that I want IT to become an echo chamber, but I think it has become very predictable. Obviously nothing kills enthusiasm like forcing yourself to play something, but enthusiasm in general has been fairly low as of late. Discussion often suffers from the whole "I only played it for an hour, I don't know how it changes the further you get" syndrome, and then it never gets brought up again.

Which ironically kind of puts them in the same boat as the press-based gaming podcasts, where they just move from game to game to game and thus rarely get very in-depth with any one title. Usually the Thumbs have something worthwhile to say, even if they haven't played a game for very long, but the scope of the game's discussion still tends to be very superficial. Like Sean's take on that Sherlock Holmes game, for instance, which I've heard does a lot of cool, different things to tie each case together the further you get.

This is why the Super Best Friendscast has become one of my favorite gaming podcasts. Sure they're a little shouty and talk over each other, but they play the poo poo out of games, and do so enthusiastically. They're the antithesis of the "here is what I gleaned from the 1-2 hours I forced myself to play a videogame this weekend" feeling.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Here's what the general response will be

He got more of a response out of that fake-out after than the supposedly emotional part.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Trexy posted:

This is why the Super Best Friendscast has become one of my favorite gaming podcasts.

I want to like them but they seem to spend a chunk of every podcast I listened to talking about anime which is a big hurdle for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh no, anime. The biggest roadblock to goons.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain Invictus posted:

https://soundcloud.com/shaliek/rappers-endorse-japanese

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Art

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like Super Best Friends sometimes because they're the only ones who talk about stuff like fighting games, Bayonetta and Smash Bros in any detail other than "It has these characters, I played it"

On the other hand they've spent like an hour of the last month of podcasts talking about everyone's Japan trips. I went to Japan earlier this year and initially it was cool to hear but by now it's like poo poo guys I get it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
more like gachaPWN

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I tried the super best friends cast but the audio quality is atrocious for a cast that's just people yelling really loudly at each other, I thought it was pretty bad.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Randallteal posted:

What was the last Call of Duty that had campaigns for other countries? That was its distinguishing characteristic for the first few years. I remember seeing this trailer in a movie theater in 2003.

Does Modern Warfare 2's campaign where you play as Canadian and British soldiers teaming up with Russians to stop an American general count? That poo poo was the loving height of satire and the games have sucked since they handed them over to fans to develop.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
8-4 Play is still really solid.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Captain Invictus posted:

There has got to be some kind of anime-hate time dilation going on because I can't recall the last time they said much more than "I'm watching x and y and I like it a lot/not so much" and moved on, but I see goons bring it up all the time.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks to everyone who gave to the Retronauts Patreon! We're back to weekly episodes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

8-4 Play is still really solid.

I couldn't stand 8-4 Play after a few months of listening, but I also haven't listened to it in almost a year so maybe it's better now. I just felt like they tried too hard to be the Bombcast in its prime and just fell flat, in that they tried to be zany and crazy without knowing how to do it well and not be annoying about it. But again, it's been a while so maybe it's different.

• Locked thread