Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Link to the Past episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is up. We've got a special guest on board, too.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/68

Up next we'll be joined by Bob Mackey to talk about Deadly Premonition (I'm ridiculously in love with this game, and can't wait to talk about it). Then it's Blade Runner for the PC, and a special episode about video game hardware in all of its glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

hosed podcast audio can't be unfucked, especially if the file is just straight up lost. My heart goes out to anyone who has lost an episode, because it's cosmically dispiriting.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Charlie Brown joke at the end of this week's VGHD made me giggle.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

This is a relatively last-minute request, but we're taking responses for the Hardware episode of Watch Out for Fireballs!. We're looking for your stories about weird controllers, regular controllers, weird consoles, and regular consoles... Did you blow on a NES cart? We'd like to hear about it.

http://duckfeed.tv/contact

We're recording tomorrow (Saturday) around 12pm PST, so we'll take responses up through then.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Watch Out for Fireballs! Hardware special is up and ready for you to listen to. I really like this one, and I hope you do too.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/71

We had a bit of a schedule shakeup, so here's the new lineup: Up next is Shadow of the Colossus, then Killer7, and THEN Alpha Protocol with a special guest interview with Chris Avellone.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

EC posted:

SotC and Killer7 are two of my favorite games, can't wait. Did y'all play the HD remake or the original? The HD version is perfect, although slightly harder.

I'm playing the HD remake as well... but I've spent a tremendous amount of time on the original (including Hard Mode, Time Attack, and Hard Time Attack). Those items, man. Those items.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I really and truly wish there was a way to track the sheer number of hours I've put into Rock Band. I've already sunk a lot of time into Rocksmith 2014, but that's a fraction of a drop in the bucket of my total music game time.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

umalt posted:

Dear WOFF,

gently caress YES THE REPLACEMENTS!

Sorry for being an episode late, but I felt self-concious.

Sincerely,

A Fan

Haha, yeah. That Replacements song is my favorite from Rock Band 2. I immediately jumped on the opportunity to include it in an episode.

What is Ayers Rock, Al!?

Sincerely,
Kole

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It would be a backdoor pilot for a "talkin' 'bout music" 'cast.

Relevant to Thumbs chat, I managed to work "An ancient evil has awakened" into a script that I wrote for a video at my day job. It totally got into the final product. The little games we play.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It really isn't.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I record everything I play, so the video is there. I would love to do a YouTube series, but you're right in noticing that I'm spread a little thin. My day job requires about 50 hours of "creative" work spread over a very irregularly scheduled week. All of the podcast stuff fits in around the edges of that. Time and energy are my biggest constraints. Right now my goal is to keep plugging away at the written articles, hopefully improving with each one. I'd love to reach a regular enough release rhythm that I can free up time and attention to expand it.

I'll likely attempt a Let's Play once I get to a game that's more visually engaging. Alone in the Dark might be fun.

Edit: Thank you for asking about it. I'm very proud of that blog and it's nice when people bring it up.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Of note to this thread's interest: Riff from Video Games Hot Dog was kind enough to guest on this week's Abject Suffering. We talk about Samurai Ghost for a bit and then we question what a German person hears when a homeless person speaks.

http://duckfeed.tv/asp/35

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Sorry for the inadvertent double-post, but we have an announcement.

First, the Shadow of the Colossus episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out, and it's really good.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/72

Up next is Killer7, Alpha Protocol (with an interview from Chris Avellone), and then X-Men Legends II.

The bigger announcement, though, is that we've launched a Patreon. This is what we're doing to fund the live show this year, and also to continue funding the network to do cool stuff. Check out the rewards, which we think are really cool (~~most notably~~ you can get access to our episodes a day early).

http://www.patreon.com/duckfeedtv

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

As someone who didn't let his better nature win that particular battle, I have to say hearing Kole lose his poo poo when reading my "name" out was the best.

Were you Weedlord Bonerhitler?

If so, you know my Love Language (a language consisting of nothing but Weedlord Bonerhitler repeated over and over again).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I heaped some praise on the Wavebird in the Hardware episode. It's a very important controller.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Two notes about Abject Suffering:

1. Jenni from Video Games Taco joins us to talk about a dumb little horse MMO. http://duckfeed.tv/asp/36

2. We reached our first goal on Patreon, so Abject Suffering is now on a weekly format. Thanks everybody who made that happen!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Phone posted:

I think that the pre-order bonus on Steam for Watch Underscore Dogs should be an Authentic Aiden's Iconic Cap for TF2.

Do you want Russia's economy to tank?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

In regards to the marketing talk, as a 30 year old who works in marketing (I'm a web guy but work directly with marketing)

Sup marketing buddy. I work at an animation studio that primarily does client work for tech companies. I spend most of my days writing, and I can't tell you how many times something even more cringe-worthy than "Iconic Cap" has been mandated into a script. It breaks my heart every time. The majority of this embarrassing language comes from inside the companies themselves, and most of the time it's not worth fighting back in the name of good taste.

Everyone talks like that because everyone talks like that.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

We keep it relatively spoiler-free up until the Anor Londo episode. Maybe keep your listening to two areas behind where you're at.

The Appendixes tend to have more spoiler material in them than the main episodes.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Twitch posted:

After listening to the most recent WOFF, I was going to post here to defend my use of the word "tryhard", but then I realized that if I'm that bugged by someone disagreeing with me on the Internet I should probably turn my computer off and go outside, so thanks?

In fairness, I was being cantankerous about the term. I just opted to shoot my mouth off about it on a podcast rather than go outside.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That's really great information to know. Attention to detail like that is a wonderful thing. I might work that into the Followup section of an upcoming extrasode, time permitting.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

moller posted:

Championchik, dammit.

I'll own that one. In a stroke of Punch Out-esque cultural insensitivity, I assumed all Russian boxers had names that end in "-ski" when I was making the notes for that episode.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Alpha Protocol extrasode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out, featuring a lengthy interview with Chris Avellone.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/74e

We're still taking responses on X-Men Legends II (up through Saturday at 12pm EST). Our upcoming episodes will cover Crackdown and Gabriel Knight II.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Crackdown episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! is out.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/76

Up next is Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within, followed by Cave Story, then Suikoden II.

I'm happy that this thread is back (along with the rest of the forums, I guess).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Yep. Sorry to keep you waiting for a year. I'll take the blame for the lack of Bonus Levels. I'm hesitant to do them too often because it's already really hard to keep up with assignment play.

I hope you like the Infinite episode. Next week is a shorter show about Burial at Sea, which we've already recorded to make room for my vacation.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Quake III Arena for the Dreamcast came out one day before Timesplitters, and it had dual stick shooting...

... Er... I mean, the single analog stick on the left controlled movement and the diamond of face buttons let you give digital suggestions as to which way your character should look. That game was really designed with the DC keyboard and mouse in mind.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Twitch posted:

Is there any way that Abject Suffering will finally do that Bad Mojo episode, now that there's an updated version on Steam/GOG?

This is interesting news. We were excited to play it, but stymied by technical problems. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows back up.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I already liked that Danielle joined Idle Thumbs, but she steered the show directly into my wheelhouse by bringing up Silent Hill 4 (favorably) *AND* leading that into a bigger discussion of survival horror. In a related note, the new Hex Crank is on its way.

E: Sorry for the double post.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

A Legend of Zelda in the kitchen and a Castlevania in the boudoir.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Our Gabriel Knight 2 episode is up. We hope you like mangled German in southern accents!

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/77

Up next is Cave Story, then a month of Suikoden II, followed by Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for the GameBoy Color.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Thank you for the Abject Suffering love. It's a lot of fun to make. We have some doozies coming up.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Three Sif Darkmoon.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I won't speak for Gary, but I think our plans for DLC and miscellaneous topics will come into more focus after the Drangleic Castle. I'll feel more comfortable tackling the DLC on the show after I play all of them, because my hope is that there's a grand unifying theory behind them that will shed more light on the lore.

I intended to play the DLC last night, but I got sidetracked setting up the new audio interface that the Patreon bucks bought us. This week's The Level is its inaugural recording, and it's clear. as. a. bell. I'm really looking forward to having every host on their own track. Per-host EQ, compression, levels, and overtalk editing will be sweeeeet.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Cave Story episode of WOFF! went up yesterday. Hint: we think the game is delightful.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/78

Up next is Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, then a month of Suikoden II, and a split EP between Contra and Little Nemo.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Twitch posted:

Also, getting 3 of my recommendations (as of the upcoming episode) on Abject Suffering in the span of two months has been awesome. Confusing Bad Dudes with Dudes With Attitude is a mistake you will only make once.

I don't want to build it up, but "Dudes With Attitude" is a top-3 episode of the show for me.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Finally got around to playing the Dark Souls 2 DLC and holy poo poo, it's like they made a DLC pack just for Gary and Kole. Can't wait for this episode of bonfireside.

It's very exciting. I can't wait for the rest of the DLC. I think we're going to have some fun.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It's crazy that they did kinetic type of the overtalk.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The new Watch Out for Fireballs! about Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is out. We like the game a whole, whole lot.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/79

Up next we've got a two parter about Suikoden II, then a split EP about Contra and Little Nemo, and an episode about Half-Life.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I would have talked about it on this week's The Level, if we recorded one, but Velvet Sundown is soooo dependent on the people you're playing with. I wish there was a way, in some kind of premium feature, to hand pick people for a private game. Maybe that feature exists, and I just didn't spot it. When you play with random people, you have a higher chance of being made fun of for speaking in complete sentences.

It's a game that requires several strangers to completely buy into helping maintain the illusion. A few of my sessions just boiled down to people mechanically and bluntly trying to trip all of the flags for their stories.

I guess it's my problem for wanting to do something as dorky as online interactive improv spy theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

To quote someone on our Facebook page, "I swear I didn't realize the Abject Suffering request page was a Death Note."

It's a case of lovely timing. If the episode was still in the chamber when he passed, I'd probably look for something else to air, but someone's death doesn't retroactively make their movies (or the games based on them) better. Hindsight doesn't make the mean things we say (for laughs) any less mean, or any more meaningful than "it's fun to act angry about how bad 'Jack' is". I'm sad about his death because it's a dark thought that even someone with his resources couldn't/wouldn't get the help he needed. It's not likely that we'll do an episode on "Hook" for the NES any time soon.

All of that said, we're organizing a welfare check on Michael Crick.

• Locked thread