Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm rushing to my own defense because even though I'm fully aware that I have no reason to feel bad, my inborn but misguided sense of Midwestern politeness is telling me that I've retroactively spoken ill of the dead. Which is nonsense.

Sorry to stomp on your goof. It's definitely a funny coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

This week is an exciting milestone for Abject Suffering, since Bad Mojo is both our 50th game AND it's surprisingly good.

http://duckfeed.tv/asp/50

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It's the first day of Summer RPG Season on WOFF!, with the release of part 1 of our Suikoden II episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/80

Stick around for the easter egg at the end. It's choice.

Up next is the last leg of Suikoden II, then a split EP about Contra and Little Nemo, then Half-Life, followed by God Hand. We have more exciting stuff planned for the fall, too.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It's an uninformed opinion on my part. I was speaking based on what I'd heard, mostly surrounding Suikoden 4. I'll have to investigate further, since 2 has piqued my interest.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

For gently caress's sake. I'm genuinely shocked at that threat.

Which is depressing because that means I've become inured to the others.

How did it get this bad?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

My feeling is that we're talking about people who can intentionally keep their world very small. Anonymity is part of it, but what can you do with people who can gain social acceptance for doing this kind of thing?

When you don't have to answer to anyone who disagrees with you because an army of faceless dickheads will back you up, it's real real easy to be shameless.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It's always the best whenever they evoke the first amendment.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Gamer" has been co-opted by people who only want homogenous, escapist power fantasies, to the exclusion of any diversity of experience or voice. I said it on Twitter last week, but I'll say it here too: If you think they're coming to take your games away, someone should take your games away.

I can't say if this is the worst it's ever been, but there have been several time in the past couple of years where I've felt this way. Even if this week isn't the most severe, the increasing frequency of these global despair storms is worth noting.

Realizing it now, I think my rant at the end of this week's Bonfireside Chat was really about the current state of things, except channeled through a stupid volcano elevator.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

We're so worried about #GamerGate that we forgot about #LucaGate. Something must be done about #LucaBlight, and Watch Out for Fireballs! isn't afraid to tackle that issue in our Suikoden II episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/81

Matters have conspired to make us reveal a large number of our upcoming episodes, so I will present them in list form. Coming up next:

* Contra / Little Nemo
* Half-Life
* God Hand
* Resident Evil (Gamecube Remake)

... and after that, we're doing an adventure game that will be determined by a poll. You can find information about that poll on our Patreon page. The options are "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", "Riven: The Sequel to Myst", "Sanitarium", and "Grim Fandango".

That's a lot of game names I just typed.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Nier is a recco that's been floating around for a while. We like to use our JRPG points sparingly, and I think our unfamiliarity with the game is standing in the way of us putting it on the schedule.

Maybe I could play it as a non-assignment game, but gently caress if I know when that could happen.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

If I were theoretically ordering Nier, would I want it on PS3 of 360? That came out early enough that I suspect it might make a difference.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I dipped out of the house to buy a copy of Nier. I'm far away from home right now, but I might stream it once things settle down.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Today is the third anniversary of Watch Out for Fireballs *and* it's Gary's birthday. I want to thank everyone in this thread for being so supportive of the show (and the network).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

al-azad posted:

I'm curious as to what kind of cut you get for the Amazon tip jar. I have a bookmark for Duckfeed's Amazon because I spend hundreds a month there but does Lootcrate and Hostgator etc really pay out more?

Amazon's rate schedule is a little confusing. The percentage cut we get varies from 4% to 9% depending on the category of the item you buy, and how much product we "move".

The affiliate link has always been very good to us, and it predictably covers a good portion of our fixed costs each month. This frees up Patreon money for discretionary things, and for bigger buys like our live show.

For as morally suspect as some of Amazon's practices are, and for how much affiliate marketing rubs me the wrong way in general, I love having the tip jar link because it's a very non-intrusive way for us to solicit support. People gonna Amazon anyway, so why not stick it to the man by getting us a finder's fee?

I appreciate anyone who goes to the extra effort to pass through our link before they buy their books and toilet paper.

EDIT: to answer your second question, Amazon has always consistently paid more than the Audible ads we used to run. Those audible ads were an affiliate program. I looked into running Squarespace ads a while ago, and at that time those were affiliate ads as well. I can't speak to how much more formal ad deals would pay out.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 11, 2014

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That makes sense.

I also use Amazon a lot, and I'm comfortable "advertising" a service that I know is good. I feel similarly about SquareSpace, but I'm very reluctant to run those ads because they're *everywhere*. I don't have anything against people who do run those ads (hi Thumbs!).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The most recent episode of Isometric has a very pointed conversation about Gamergate from the perspective of women in the industry. I recommend it.

http://5by5.tv/isometric/18

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

lizzyinthesky posted:

So the GamerGaters launched their ~real game journalism~ site, goodgamers.us and true to form their first review is internet furry rape simulator Corruption of Champions.

This is basically the best possible outcome. http://www.donotlink.com/blji

I want to hear their podcast so bad.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

This is a great week for hearing people be indifferent about a game they feel obligated to talk about.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It's weird that I can start an argument about Sonic without even trying. I think I've made it, guys.

The new WOFF! is out. We talk about Contra and Little Nemo: The Dream Master.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/82

Up next is Half-Life, then God Hand. Our Halloween episode will be about the Resident Evil Remake (the one that came out on Gamecube in 2002). After that, we will discuss our adventure game poll winner, which is I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

As a reminder to anyone reading this from the Pacific northwest, Gary and I will be at the Portland Retro Games Expo doing a live show about Street Fighter II. We don't know what day or time we're performing yet, but we will have a booth on the show floor where you can play some Street Fighter and get some show swag.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It was in a very early state when we tried it out, but we could really see that Beyond Eyes was headed in a remarkable direction. Sherida was a genuine pleasure to interview, and it's exciting that there's a publisher coming in to take over the distribution stuff so she can focus on development.

FULL DISCLOSURE: The podcaster in question (one "Kole") was provided an alpha build of the game prior to the interview. This calls said podcaster's opinions into question. Cabal status: Uncertain.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes"

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/30/5357292/keep-talking-and-nobody-explodes-oculus-rift-vr

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The best time I had playing Minecraft was when I installed Mystcraft. Then, like Captain Invictus, an update broke everything.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Real Time Edits are a fool's errand. I understand the desire to sound professional, but there's almost no return for that time investment. Also, over-editing can be detrimental.

Our editing game changed significantly once I started recording directly into Logic and was able to use markers. I listen intently as we record and place a flag on anything that needs attention (over talk, coughs, mistakes, breaks, section/level dividers, etc) and then we target those directly in the edit. It's a nice balance and a very sensible workflow.

When you get hung up on cutting out um's and err's, you release really polished episodes until you stop releasing anything at all because you don't have the time for it. See: You Look Nice Today.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Editing for comedy is worth it. It's also far less tedious than trying to polish everything to a shine.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

They talked about it on the most recent VGHD.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

This week's WOFF! is about Half-Life. I'm really proud of this episode, actually.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/83

Up next is God Hand. After that, we've got Resident Evil (2002), and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. This is a fine, fine couple of months of games.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm excited to yammer on about it. God Hand is loving great.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I love your guys show but I have never felt so enraged by an opposing viewpoint as I was listening to the latest WoFF. It honestly sounded like you guys were just trying to be as sour as possible about Half Life and going out of your way to give it a hard time.

That's the risk for any show that talks about a game as beloved as Half-Life. I hope you can make it through the full episode. Our discussion of the middle third of the game might make your head explode, but I think we made some points in our wrap-up that might ease your frustration.

If the full discussion doesn't make you feel better, I still appreciate you listening and offering your thoughts.

EDIT: I'm curious about your assertion that the REmake is worse than the original. This thread probably isn't the right place for it, but I'd love to hear your reasoning when we call for responses (http://duckfeed.tv/contact)

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 3, 2014

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'll pass out the therapy bats.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

al-azad posted:

And I'll never forget how the game turns into Gears of War in the last 1/3 because what Resident Evil always needed is guys armed with rocket launchers and machine guns.

The last leg of 4 was the same way. Krauser's men are armed to the teeth. 5 was the same but more.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I found Twin Peaks and college, and the hook set immediately. I'm very happy that it's coming back and can't wait to learn more.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Don't forget the 2007 TGS trailer for Deadly Premonition, back when it was called "Rainy Woods". It was much more like Twin Peaks in that iteration. I think the story might be apocryphal, but the way I heard it was that journalists called out the likeness and they had to redo a lot of the game to make it a more distinct work.

Here's the trailer. There are some spoilers in here, if you are sensitive to having set-pieces revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

I love Deadly Premonition.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I was talking with someone about my impending flight to Portland, and this was their advice: "If you're seated next to someone from Africa, ask to be moved. You never know."

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

You can distinguish Party Babyz from Regular Babies by their cool shades, glow rattles, and five o'clock shadows. Regular Babies never stood a chance.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'd love a viable alternative to being stacked like cord wood in a hermetically sealed fart capsule that shows Godzilla and Parenthood on a loop.

Not that I'm angry.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

ja2ke posted:

It depends on your personal definition of relevant, I guess. Isometric podcast this week was a loving tough listen because Brianna Wu is one of the hosts of that podcast

That episode is really important for people to hear, I think. A lot of Gamergate coverage is done through blogs, chatlogs, tweets, and John Nash redline conspiracy MSpaints, and it's easy for me to get inured to just how absurd the whole thing is. That might just be me, so I will speak for myself.

Hearing the heartbreak and resolve in her voice is simultaneously a bitter pill to swallow and a revelation. It's a tremendous benefit of the audio medium that the true human cost of this horseshit can shine through and confront the listener.

Having written that, I realize it's likely that there are people who get off on hearing Briana Wu cry. I'd prefer to hope that they are few in number and there are more people who gain a better emotional understanding of the consequences of this kind of harassment.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

RetroHelix posted:

Holy poo poo that audio is terrible. Nothing about it can be fixed in post. They couldn't invest $200 of that Patreon cash into a few decent clip-on mics?

I brought this up in the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread (which is a great thread). I know there are numerous other things to be angry at in the teaser, but this burns me the most.

Two audiotechnica lavalier microphones and a Tascam DR-40 portable recorder would run them a total of $260. That's less than 3% of their absurd monthly take on Patreon. For that paltry sum plus an afternoon of reading the manuals and figuring out how to sync recorded audio with recorded video in post, they would cover their whole sound department. They wouldn't even have to buy pizza for a boom operator.

It sounds like they're recording with on-camera microphones, which no expander/gate will ever fix. You're hearing voices bounce off of floors and walls, now and forever.

They also could have watched any number of YouTube tutorials about how to shoot interviews, compose documentary shots, or do a basic 3-point lighting setup. I searched for good examples of tutorials, but there are so many viable ones that you could just google "HOW DO I MAKE MY poo poo LOOK AND SOUND GOOD" and get something that would help you out.

They have two cameras with very slightly different angles and levels of zoom. Any cut between them would be a distracting jump cut. They don't have any coverage. They can't cut in or cut out to mask their cuts or edit the piece into a more cohesive story. They also insist on having themselves in each shot, which is incredibly egotistical and reveals their true priorities. For god's sake, point your second camera directly at your interviewee's face in a tight shot so you can throw to that to put the attention on THEM. You could even make that second shot handheld, and put a wacky filter over it so it looks more different when you cut to it.

God drat, if you're going to ask for the money, at least step up your game with something that looks marginally more professional than the webcam YouTube selfie poo poo you make at home. For as standard as Anita Sarkeesian's production values are (one woman in front of a green screen, with relevant material composited in in post), at least it looks and sounds like a thing of value. Polish is not the be-all end-all of any kind of work, but this is so offensively bad that it betrays a lack of caring for their audience or supporters, however repugnant they might be.

Take pride in your work, not yourselves, you velour-clad toxic hacks.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 23, 2014

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

To use Gary's term, it's a real monster zoo.

I spilled a lot of words about the quality of their audio and I feel like I forgot why I even started writing it: it makes me angry that their heads are up their asses. They're so assured in their correctness and righteousness that they aren't even paying attention to the basics of how to get their message across. In a lot of ways, it doesn't matter. They aren't educating anyone or bettering them. It takes humility to work hard at improving the quality of what you make, because you have to recognize that there is room to grow. Making things look and sound good is a service to others, and these jackasses only want to serve themselves.

Also, the things they're saying, the cause they're fronting, and the people they represent are all completely reprehensible. Can't forget that.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Phone posted:

Just listened to the WOFF Extrasode and the last 15 minutes were so on point. I was really lukewarm on you guys in the last thread, but I've definitely warmed up to your guys' style and MO. It might just be me getting older and mellowing out, but I've really started to appreciate people doing high quality stuff, saying cogent things, and allowing themselves to sensitive to their surroundings. I mean this to both the Thing That Shouldn't Be Named Because "It's Annoying" and being receptive to crazy games like God Hand.

I forget which one of you is Kole, but do you mind linking the light that you picked up?

Thank you very much for the kind words. That's a high compliment, and it finds me on a day that has been (otherwise) very lovely for me professionally.

This is the light I bought. It frequently goes on sale for cheaper than the $100 it's at right now, so maybe watch it for a couple of days. My skeptic's mind makes me feel a little embarrassed about recommending a magic light that will cure winter-induced sadbrains, but it's made a noticeable difference for me so far. Even if it's a placebo, I won't turn my nose up at results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

This is probably a bit oversensitive but please don't say this. I've never seen it on here in a context that wasn't "I'm a fyad superstar and I'm here to tell you depression isn't real." and it's really uncomfortable to see it coming from you.

I wasn't aware it had any connotation or meaning beyond "short weird way to avoid writing out 'person with depression or depressive tendencies'." As a non-fyad superstar who definitely knows that depression is real, I'll avoid using that term.

• Locked thread