Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just finished the Hardware episode of WOFF and I gotta say, at the very end when you said something like,
"And now we'll talk about Nintendo's big gently caress-up" I thought for sure you'd get a brief mention in of the Virtual Boy.

I'm surprised it didn't get at least a passing mention, being Nintendo's only real 100% complete failure of a system.

or maybe the Virtual Boy deserves it's own Abject Suffering episode. :allears:

(I guess the problem there is actually finding one, since it seems like the kind of system that has really terrible emulation.)

But one thing I do love about the virtual boy...take a look at that controller:

You can definitely see the groundwork laid for the N64 and Gamecube controllers.

And the dual d-pads is kind of interesting in the era before (good) analog sticks, since dual analog is the standard now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
More late 'Hardware Peripherals" chat!

I know you guys mentioned the Dreamcast keyboard, but did you mention the monstrosity that was the Gamecube keyboard controller?

I believe it was only ever useful for Phantasy Star Online, which I never played. I imagine that there is a large amount of text entry in that game that is made easier with a full keybaord instead of an on-screen one? Or was the keyboard actually required?

And I think you mentioned the Super gameboy, (which I totally invented when I was 10 about a year before it was ACTUALLY released. gently caress you for stealing my idea, Nintendo! t:mad:) but did you mention its Gameboy Advance/Gamecube cousin, the Gameboy Player?

And going along with the "Gameboy Advance + Gamecube" family is the link cable:

Mildly useful if you wanted to be a dick and drop bombs on your friend as Tingle, but also all but required for Four Swords Adventure or Final Fantasy: Crystal Tactics.

Fun note: The original version of the cable was designed for the original Gameboy Advance, and was thus too wide to use for the Advance SP. It would cause the L and R shoulder buttons to be permanently pressed down.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hey Gary and Kole,

I know you guys did Gabriel knight, but do you have any plans to visit some other classic Sierra adventure games?

Or specifically, any plans for the Quest for Glory series? The other Sierra games can go to Hell for all I'm concerned.

Ok, not entirely, but let's face it, a lot of them had the Gabriel Knight 3 "absurd puzzle solution" issue, and/or the King's Quest 5 "forgot one item in the first five minutes, now in the last five minutes you have an unavoidable death" issue.

That's why I love the GfG series...they avoid a LOT of that. Rarely in that series do you find yourself in an un-winnable situation because of a missed item/opportunity early on (I'm not saying they're free of those, but there's a lot less of those situations.)

If nothing else, you should really do Quest for Glory 4...great atmosphere, good puzzles that aren't all just "use item Y at location X," and narration by John Rhys-Davis!

• Locked thread