Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Only 3 months late into the year because I wanted to make pretty pictures for the OP (but can't make pretty pictures worth a poo poo). Those'll come later.

Let's just hit the big two right here:

Idle Thumbs
One of the few podcasts that learns towards PC gaming, Idle Thumbs doesn’t follow any particular podcasting format, mainly covering the games they are playing and gaming news. Kickstarter brought them back in force, and they now comprise a "cabal" of shows, including the original Thumbs (weekly), Three Moves Ahead (also weekly, see below) and plenty of other 'casts. Easily the show I would strongest recommend if you want anything beyond discussion of the prior week's gaming news.
Host: Chris Remo
Cast: Rotates, but commonly includes 2+ of the following men: Jake Rodkin, Sean Vanaman, Nick Breckon, Steve Gaynor
Links: Site iTunes RSS Twitter

Giant Bombcast
The Giant Bomb crew discuss what they are playing, preview impressions of upcoming titles, gaming news, and wild tangents. Currently as batshit as ever despite a new office and nicer equipment. For the most part you may as well take Bombcast chat into the Giant Bomb thread in Rapidly Going Deaf. (Yes, it is intentional that this thread is in Games and that one is in Rapidly Going Deaf. Mods moved them both.)
Host: Ryan Davis Jeff Gerstmann
Cast: Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, Drew Scanlon

General Gaming Podcasts
Your general focus on news and The Stuff That Happened In The Industry shows.

Video Games Hot Dog
Humorous podcast from the creators of Kingdom of Loathing. Includes some discussion of board games, puzzles and IF (interactive fiction/text adventures). The Monkees to Idle Thumbs' Beatles.
Host: Zack Johnson
Guests: Kevin and Riff

:norway: RadCrew Show Note: This podcast is NOT in English.
Grab some Lutefisk, and relax on your nearest fjord as fellow goon Cellophane S brings you all the gaming news you need with a Scandinavian twist.
Cast: Cellophane S and I’m guessing a bunch of Norwegian dudes.
Links: Site RSS

Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Discussion of current games, news, boardgames, etc. Your bog-standard gaming podcast, hopefully you like the people in question. Done via Skype, so that's weird for some folks.
Host: Shawn Andrich
Cast: Sean Sands, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Robert Borges
Links: Site iTunes RSS

The Level
A general video game show, covering current games, news, and general discussion topics with audience participation. Hosted by forums user Song for the Deaf.
Hosts: Kole Ross, Ben Merkel, Dennis Furia, and David Moneysmith

On The Stick
It's another 4 guys talking about games podcast, but they cover a lot of games other shows don't. Only knocks against it are that it doesn't seem to have a set schedule, and episodes can be talking about games and events from a month or longer ago.

One Life Left
UK show. It's run by an independent radio station in London (Resonance FM) and is run like a radio show, not a podcast. It's hard to pin down exactly what that means, but there's a different feel. They have sweet commissioned chip tunes interspersed throughout, if you're into that sort of thing, and run radio style news sections and interviews.
Hosts: Ste Curran, Simon Byron, Ann Scantlebury

Vidjagame Apocalypse
A comedy show about video games. Every episode begins with a "top 5" list of some absurd variety, and then spins off into discussion of recent news or whatever comes to mind from the cast.

No Quarters
Four men, video game news. Biweekly. I admit I haven't had time to listen to this one yet, but it was suggested by others and nothing in the small bit I sampled suggests it's assy.
Cast: These four
Links: Site RSS (Syrg's note: Please assist me in writing a non-lovely description of this, or I'll get to it when I've dug into an episode or two.)

Gamespot Gameplay
Lighthearted podcast about games and the people who play, make, and talk about them, with a series of guests from episode to episode as the show focuses on god-knows-what each time out. I have listened to random episodes of this and it has been quite good actually. Gamespot seems to make finding/listening to this as hard as possible, as I could not find a hub site for the drat thing, and in fact as far as I can tell, they want you to watch it as videos off their site now instead of download these. I found no link or hub site for it. (I still stand by it being good, despite that pain in the rear end.)
Host: Kevin VanOrd
Links: iTunes RSS

Themed Podcasts
These podcasts focus on a specific topic, system, genre, and/or do not follow the traditional format.

Retronauts
The latest incarnation of the only podcast to outlast 1UP's collapse, Retronauts focuses on... well, classic games. If none of the hosts know enough about a topic from experience, you'd better believe they'll research it or find someone who CAN speak to the subject. I absolutely adore this and I'm going to stop gushing now. Give it a try if you never have and enjoy looking down memory lane/learning about something that might have slipped past you years back.
Hosts: Jeremy Parish, Bob Mackey, Ray Barnholt

Three Moves Ahead
This show is about all manners of strategy games across all platforms. It's quite well-spoken, comes in at a good length per week, and is now a member of the Idle Thumbs network? cabal. Tends to have rotating guests with some frequency, and episodes can cover broad topics or game-specific discussion from week to week.
Host: Rob Zacny
Cast: Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, Julian Murdoch, Troy Goodfellow

DotA Today
A Lords-Management podcast which is neither locked to DotA, nor as regular as its name suggests. It's basically the "The Daily Show" of podcasts like that.
Hosts: Sean Vanaman, Brad Muir

Tone Control
Ex-Thumb Steve Gaynor's bimonthly interview podcast. Only a few months old and already boasts an impressive pedigree of participants (Clint friggin' Hocking was episode 4! C'mon!), with the two chatting for a bit on a variety of topics. Always impressive, give this a shot if you enjoy just hearing cool stories.
Host: Steve Gaynor

Chrontendo/Chronturbo/Chronsega
Video podcast updating sporadically, focusing on one man ("Dr. Sparkle") playing every game from the 8-bit era (on the Famicom/NES, Turbo-Grafx, and Sega Master System, specifically) in release order. It's quite well-produced and researched and worth giving a try.
Host: Dr. Sparkle

Watch Out For Fireballs!
Biweekly. Sort of like a video game book club: they announce the next podcast's topic, give you two weeks to play the game and give some input, and discuss their own experiences/quote some of the reader feedback for discussion. The hosts have been seen posting in these threads and solicit content from here too, so that's cool.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross

Bonfireside Chat
A sister podcast to the above Watch Out For Fireballs, focused on the Souls games, and now their predecessors, the King's Field games. Almost a book-club style show where they'll cover a stage or two each episode and hope to get listeners playing along/discussing it for themselves.

Roguelike Radio
A podcast about roguelikes. The regular attendees are pretty much all roguelike developers, but try to involve members of the wider roguelike community if talking about a specific game. Have also interviewed some of the bigger names in roguelikes (such as Glen Wichmann) and roguelike-likes (such as Edmund McMillen and Derek Yu).
Host: Ryan Boyd.

8-4 Play
Biweekly. 8-4 is a localization company bringing games from Japan to Western Markets. They also do a podcast covering games, and Japan.
Cast: Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which I will give a shot based on my choice of platform + the man behind Gunpoint being on it. This description needs work too!
Cast: Tom Francis, Graham Smith, Marsh Davies, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten

Tangentially Related

Laser Time/VGMpire
From the network that brought you Vidjagame Apocalypse, two other excellent shows. The former isn't entirely a games podcast (it's more comedy based with each episode having a theme), but the latter focuses on video game music. Mentioned because if I don't put these here, I'd look like a hypocrite for adding...

No More Whoppers
Features Ray Barnholt and Alex Fraioli. Not solidly gaming-related, more of a comedy show from two friends (think a My Brother, My Brother and Me-type show). Since Ray is an ex-1UP writer and still one of the three Retronauts hosts (where they occasionally promo this for him) it is totally staying in the OP.

Retsutalk
A podcast about whatever the hell they come up with from episode to episode run by forum users Slowbeef and Diabetus, who regularly pull in other SA Let's Players/internet folks as guests to discuss their content and to have general video game discussions. Topics have included chatting with other SA/Let's Play folks, random games one or the other are exceedingly fond of, or Breaking Bad.

Shows Worth Discussing? Maybe?
The stuff people brought up in the twilight of the last thread hoping others would give it a shot. I haven't heard any of these yet, so if some suck or are astounding, do tell!

• Super Best Friendcast - Seems to be a "some pals goof around, chat" kinda thing
  • Experience Points - "A serious, but not humorless, conversation about video games", from their site
  • IGN has a buttload of podcasts - Some of these don't seem very gamey. But some decidedly are!
  • Cheap rear end Gamer CAGCast - Some folks still enjoy this, whereas I didn't dig it/am irritated by their lack of a convenient hub for me to link to in my anal retentive quest to CLEAN THE OP.
  • GameLife - I have to admit, I can't hate anything with Chris Kohler involved.
  • Directional - Just began, by the crew of another podcast on the (cursed) 5by5 network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Al-Saqr posted:

YOU CANT STOP THIS MOVEMENT, OP.

I uh. I didn't plan to? I just said I hadn't listened to it and I couldn't make a blurb for it. If someone else wants to fill in the blanks, I will 100% paste that in and bump it up.

cbirdsong posted:

I don't listen to it regularly, but Giant Bomb's biweekly morning show definitely deserves a spot in the OP: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/bombin-the-a-m-with-scoops-and-the-wolf/

I left that out just because GB has its own thread and I figured their sub-shows went under that too.

Freaksaus posted:

Where's the year of Bubsy?

In my heart. I would be a hell of a lot more excited for a year of Bubsy revivals than anything Luigi/Sonic related.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I gather from twitter that recording may have been done tonight, given, you know. GDC.

Idle Thumbs 150 will probably be a Conf Grenade.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
No but seriously I'm gonna lock the thread for the weekend if all that's gonna come of this is "parade of trolling".

\/\/\/ I kinda figured you were good, I meant dudes coming in here to be inflammatory and flee.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 3, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Man, a fantasy football * Souls game sounds like addiction waiting to happen. Field a team of knights and see who the hell has the sticking power to actually save the realm.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm guessing the fact that they can pay for ads now means they're doing alright?

I imagine they got a huge boost in publicity/cash from when they participated in this bundle a few months back, where even if you assume every copy cost $1, that's still their share of $22k added to anything they got from people looking them up afterwards.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
If you honestly wanted an answer: IndieGala has become a weird crapshoot, sometimes running really good bundles and sometimes being utter trash. Their new model is doing smaller weeklong sales while a 'main' bundle runs over the course of a month and slowly unlocks additional titles for BTA purchases. Groupees does a lot of smaller, topic-specific bundles and also has a focus on musicians as well (because of how they began), but their "main" bundles (Be Mine [thing/number]) are usually solid and they've just implemented a $1 minimum policy, with the occasional tiered one. IndieRoyale started as a strong one but now they're very much "buy a bunch of stuff that might get Greenlit" or Desura-focused and possibly crap. The latter makes sense because, well. They're owned by Desura. Bundle Stars is dirt cheap and should only be purchased, rare exceptions aside, because you just want All The Games on Steam, and they tend to fill 8-12 game bundles with weird obscure titles.

I can think of at least 5 more sites that run bundles, most up-and-comers, but it's a hideous mess to keep track of all this at this point, even if you just want to occasionally get an indie title cheaper because "Oh, that sounds fun (but not $20 fun)".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

Also I blame Doctor loving Who. Has no-one told the US that's a children's show?

In that case, I hope to god that's not where everyone's hearing "wank" from.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

I think it's just inspiring Wenglishness.

I've always liked "weeabrits".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's people overreacting. poo poo, I can think of a 16-bit RPG that had almost literally the same ending and nobody flipped their poo poo over it/it got a few sequels and spinoffs anyway.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey, speaking of marketing anyone in here been reading "Console Wars"? I'm about halfway through and it's a fantastic read for a myriad of reasons.

I bought it but have not begun the book yet since I've been working for days. I have today/tomorrow off, will probably dig in.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

al-azad posted:

They're not hardcore gamers and it's not like they spread misinformation. Sometimes they get a minor detail wrong and they correct themselves later. But they do know comedy, they know writing, and they talk to people both outside and inside the industry and it's that unique perspective I look for. I'm ashamed to admit I know way too much about video games as a subject so unless you're relating your personal experience then I probably already know the subject you're talking about.

I'm asking seriously here: what would you consider a good episode of the Indoor Kids? I want to give this a shot, because this sounds intriguing, but anytime I grab their latest I always find myself irritated when I do know more than them about what I hear being discussed and shut it off partway through.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Captain Novolin posted:

I go to the website and download each mp3 individually :saddowns:

Same. I don't have an mp3 player, so podcasts become something I put on while gaming or working.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Somewhere around here I have the imported US guide, which, even doubling as an artbook, weighs in at a massive pagecount (I want to say 400-500 pages). I still don't know dick-all about what I'm doing in that game, but I love it unconditionally.

It's me. I'm the guy who keeps going back to SaGa games. They still love me like I love them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Jippa posted:

Is it just that we are noticing this stuff more or has it actually got worse?

Before this past week or so I might have said "we're just more aware", but no, these are legitimate new lows. Adam "loving" Baldwin is involved now, and for that we're all lessened.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Al! posted:

Does this new game take place in the Homeiverse?

I want to say they confirmed that on a podcast, yeah. Or at least they wanted to make a background "universe" all these games shared, even if they weren't major callbacks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Al! posted:

That was kind of a joke because Gone Home takes place in our world except the soda brands are different.

No, like, I swear either an episode of Thumbs or an interview with Steve or- poo poo I just realized I mixed up two studios. Whoops. Nevermind.

I was thinking of an interview with Steve where they said that Fullbright was probably going to have a shared universe but not in a blatant "AND HERE'S WHAT SHELLY IS UP TO NOW" thing, but you might see snippets of an older character, or a reference made in one game to some name becomes a PC or more important figure in another.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

VDay posted:

Pacey-con.

You? You I like. (I've become more and more disappointed that SDCC has basically phased out a lot of tabletop/gaming-related stuff in the rush to be HOLLYWOOD ALL THE TIME because it has a fantastic atmosphere.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The romance-able crow (as in a literal crow) in Winter Voices will always hold a place in my heart.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

umalt posted:

Oh my god what the hell is this beautiful poo poo? Is it the new COD?

Yuuuuuup.

(much love to The GIA, incidentally)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Beard Yawn posted:

Zelda 2 is a Cool and Fun Video Game. :cool:

gently caress yes it is. That is official thread consensus now.

God, it depresses me that most of the Zelda series doesn't have the sense of experimentation the first three games did.

edit: Oh, I guess LttP came before Link's Awakening. Okay, well, Z1/2/LA then, not the first three

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

al-azad posted:

Er, I don't know how Link's Awakening is somehow more experimental than ALttP. It literally started out as a port of Zelda 3 before they decided to make it a new story and the only new gameplay feature is the roc's feather.

And the item combos, and the side-scrolling bits, but alright, I see your point.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Wasn't there a YCS-era goon with a Yoshi fetish? Did he get banned? I need to know which side of #gamergate he's on.

Yeah, I vaguely recall the name but don't know if I could spell it from memory, Djynn? Dyinn? Flyssa. Permabanned.

I'm gonna go with "the wrong side".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Gary, Kole, I just feel I should tell you that I ended up laughing so hard at an old Abject Suffering (Metal Morph) on the job, someone rushed into the store thinking I was choking. Thanks.

Also apparently I didn't know gently caress-all about REM, because either you were doing an extended bit, or I've never heard of any of those singles of theirs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Zombies' Downfall posted:

super mario bros is a pretty great bad movie and is infinitely better than basically every other videogame movie by dint of the fact that it isn't incredibly dull...

Only after they get to the kingdom. That opening chunk is so drat slow.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

bobservo posted:

New Retronauts is up about games that jumped the shark, though I guess it's secretly a "bad sequels" episode: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-weeks-retronauts-gets-an-aaaaay-for-effort

I absolutely lost it when you all began piecing together when Bioware jumped the shark at the end, just because of the swift progression to the only possible end point.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
As someone who was there at the time and remembers the disaster that was Stalin vs. Martians, some context for y'all, Gary and Kole:

It's early 2009 and two trailers hit the internet and go moderately viral. One is the original Plants vs. Zombies "music video", and the other is the dancing Stalin which became one of the game's intermissions for SvM. I swear there was a thinkpiece actually bemoaning this as some kind of awful trend at the time, but I can't be arsed to find it. Then SvM comes out months ahead of Popcap's game, and hoooooo boy.

As you discovered, a lot of the game's base is a reskin of an actual military sim, but in what's less visible at a casual glance is that some of the enemy units are too. The not-Toy Story aliens are actually converted tanks, and the tiny skittle creatures that are impossible to target are infantry. I don't think any of you got up to the "beholder" enemy you mentioned from a loading screen, which is actually a really, really crappy Cacodemon from Doom ripoff. I don't think anyone ever picked out analogues for the later enemies, like the suicide-bomber mushrooms, or "The Worm" and other mega-sized enemies which are horrible gimmick missions. Basically, though, know that the further you get in, and from memory, the game did not launch in "Game of the Year Edition", that was actually a patched copy. Even post-patch, the game was still thoroughly broken. One mission required you to take out enough enemies of an endless spawning challenge to use one of the magic powers. The problem? The cost of the power was incorrectly listed, meaning you're sitting there going "WHY CAN'T I WIN" for about an hour while trying to grind Stalinbux. There are also invisible walls. In an RTS.

Anyway basically what I'm saying is you guys got off easy on that one. Also I found this image on the LP Archive for a good demonstration of how awful the enemies looked, this was a late-game mission where a massive army wrecks you often.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 17, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well, I guess if I'm being called on it I should update the OP and burn this down to feed the new growth. Lemme start checking and updating links/bios.

Obvious stuff I know I need to do, so tell me if I missed anything offhand:
- add Danielle to the IT listing, cross out Ray from "host" on Retronauts since he's just a guest on the new season
- cull the following dead shows: Gamespot Gameplay, GameLife, Directional, does anyone care if I slice out the IGN stuff too?
- add USGamer's podcasts
- fix GB thread link, a couple of site links that no longer redirect properly

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 24, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I may end up stealing that title just because the only joke I had this time out was "2015: just delayed for retooling"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
New thread OP near-final draft, want some other eyes on it given that I'm tired as gently caress and am going to bed before I post anything. Please tell me if I ruined a link/name/show you like so I can repair it.

quote:

Mierenneuker posted:

Should have waited until the Ides of March for the new thread.

SUCK IT I DID THIS THIS TIME

Idle Thumbs (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Idle Thumbs doesn’t follow any particular podcasting format, mainly covering the games they are playing and articles of discussion, be they news or not. Kickstarter brought them back in force, and they now comprise a "cabal" of shows, including the original Thumbs (weekly), Three Moves Ahead (also weekly, see below) and plenty of other 'casts. Easily the show I would recommend if you want anything beyond discussion of the prior week's gaming news.
Host: Chris Remo
Cast: Rotates, but commonly includes 2+ of the following: Jake Rodkin, Sean Vanaman, Danielle Riendeau, Nick Breckon, Steve Gaynor

Three Moves Ahead (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
This show is about all manners of strategy games across all platforms. It's quite well-spoken, comes in at a good length per week, and is quite good at avoiding repeating itself in topics. Tends to have rotating guests with some frequency, and episodes can cover broad topics or game-specific discussion from week to week.
Host: Rob Zacny
Cast: Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, Julian Murdoch, Troy Goodfellow

DotA Today (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
A Lords-Management podcast which is neither locked to DotA, nor as regular as its name suggests. It's basically the "The Daily Show" of podcasts like that.
Hosts: Sean Vanaman, Brad Muir

Tone Control (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Ex-Thumb Steve Gaynor's bimonthly interview podcast. The first "season" is over, and its future is probably on hold for now. Still worth a listen just for some of the guests he got on there.
Host: Steve Gaynor

Watch Out For Fireballs! (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Biweekly. Sort of like a video game book club: they announce the next podcast's topic, give you two weeks to play the game and give some input, and discuss their own experiences/quote some of the reader feedback for discussion. The hosts have been seen posting in these threads and solicit content from here too, so that's cool.

Abject Suffering (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Weekly thanks to a convenient Patreon. Sort of like the dark twin to Watch Out For Fireballs' in-depth discussion, Gary and Kole are 'assigned' lovely games by listeners which they must play for 30 minutes minimum before the show, and it tends to become more improv comedy than actual discussion a lot of the time. If you've ever wanted to hear grown men discuss how Bebe's Kids might be the flashpoint for a race war, this is the show for you.

Bonfireside Chat (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A sister podcast to the above Watch Out For Fireballs, focused on the Souls games, their predecessors the King's Field games, and a variety of other Souls-esque topics between major releases. Almost a book-club style show where they'll cover a stage or two each episode and hope to get listeners playing along/discussing it for themselves.

The Level (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A general video game show, covering current games, news, and general discussion topics with audience participation. Hosted by forums user Song for the Deaf.
Hosts: Kole Ross, Ben Merkel, Dennis Furia, and David Moneysmith

Retronauts (affiliate of USGamer)
The latest incarnation of the podcast that survived 1UP's collapse, Retronauts focuses on... well, classic games. If none of the hosts know enough about a topic from experience, you'd better believe they'll research it or find someone who CAN speak to the subject. I absolutely adore this and I'm going to stop gushing now. Give it a try if you never have and enjoy looking down memory lane/learning about something that might have slipped past you years back. Probably due to their hosts' working there, is now an associate of USGamer.
Hosts: Jeremy Parish, TV's Bob Mackey

From US to You! (affiliate of USGamer)
Weekly(ish) discussion show from USGamer, usually in a shorter vein and a more focused discussion (generally punctuated by the Kat Bailey Sports Minute out of nowhere) from episode to episode. Just began, still finding its feet, so it's kind of hard for me to give a simple summary. Try it if you like some of their regulars, though.
Host: Jeremy Parish
Guests: a panel consisting of some of the following from week to week - Bob Mackey, Kat Bailey, Jaz Rignall, others (sorry fellas it's 7AM here and I'm tired)
Links: Site iTunes RSS Soundcloud

Axe of the Blood God (affiliate of USGamer)
Weekly (so far) RPG-focused podcast. The successor to prior shows Roleplayer's Realm (RIP Gamepro) and Active Time Babble (RIP 1UP), Kat Bailey goes for the hat trick in reviving the show under a new name at a new site. I pray to god this one lasts, because we have yet to get Bob Mackey to christen it by shooting Kingdom Hearts in the kneecaps verbally.
Host: Kat Bailey

Video Games Hot Dog
Humorous podcast from the creators of Kingdom of Loathing. Includes some discussion of board games, puzzles and IF (interactive fiction/text adventures). The Monkees to Idle Thumbs' Beatles. Occasionally gets splashed with cold water and becomes Video Games Taco.
Hosts: Zack Johnson, Kevin Simmons, Riff Conner, Jim Crawford

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which is spoken highly of and I really need to finish giving this a shot given that I work graveyard almost exclusively now. Kill me. (I've heard an ep or two and it's good but I don't know if that was due to guests vs. their regular output.)
Cast: Tom Francis, Graham Smith, Marsh Davies, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten

Giant Bombcast
The Giant Bomb crew discuss what they are playing, preview impressions of upcoming titles, gaming news, and wild tangents. what the actual gently caress, Dan Ryckert. For the most part you may as well take Bombcast chat into the Giant Bomb thread in Rapidly Going Deaf. (Yes, it is intentional that this thread is in Games and that one is in RGD. Mods moved them both.)
Host: Ryan Davis Jeff Gerstmann
Cast: Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, Drew Scanlon, Dan Ryckert

General discussion shows about games.

:norway: RadCrew Show Note: This podcast is NOT in English.
Grab some Lutefisk, and relax on your nearest fjord as fellow goon Cellophane S brings you all the gaming news you need with a Scandinavian twist.
Cast: Cellophane S and I’m guessing a bunch of Norwegian dudes.

Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Discussion of current games, news, boardgames, etc. Your bog-standard gaming podcast, hopefully you like the people in question. Done via Skype, so that's weird for some folks.
Host: Shawn Andrich
Cast: Sean Sands, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Robert Borges

On The Stick
It's another 4 guys talking about games podcast, but they cover a lot of games other shows don't. Only knocks against it are that it doesn't seem to have a set schedule, and episodes can be talking about games and events from a month or longer ago.

One Life Left
UK show. It's run by an independent radio station in London (Resonance FM) and is run like a radio show, not a podcast. It's hard to pin down exactly what that means, but there's a different feel. They have sweet commissioned chip tunes interspersed throughout, if you're into that sort of thing, and run radio style news sections and interviews.
Hosts: Ste Curran, Simon Byron, Ann Scantlebury

These podcasts focus on a specific topic, system, genre, and/or do not follow the traditional format.

Chrontendo/Chronturbo/Chronsega
Video podcast updating sporadically, focusing on one man ("Dr. Sparkle") playing every game from the 8-bit era (on the Famicom/NES, Turbo-Grafx, and Sega Master System, specifically) in release order. It's quite well-produced and researched and worth giving a try.
Host: Dr. Sparkle

Roguelike Radio
A podcast about roguelikes. The regular attendees are pretty much all roguelike developers, but try to involve members of the wider roguelike community if talking about a specific game. Have also interviewed some of the bigger names in roguelikes (such as Glen Wichmann) and roguelike-likes (such as Edmund McMillen and Derek Yu).
Host: Ryan Boyd.

Gaming History 101
It's Retronauts gone casual. It's live, takes a topic of gaming history and discusses it, but covers different ground from Retronauts (VHS consoles for example), with their broadcast's chat contributing on occasion. Their YouTube page is different from the podcast and largely hosts the occasional let's play and reviewing of games, but is included for good measure.

Hosts: Fred Rojas, Jamalais
Official Site Alt Site Podcast Site iTunes RSS YouTube

8-4 Play
Biweekly. 8-4 is a localization company bringing games from Japan to Western Markets. They also do a podcast covering games, and Japan.
Cast: Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto

Vidjagame Apocalypse
A comedy show about video games. Every episode begins with a "top 5" list of some absurd variety, and then spins off into discussion of recent news or whatever comes to mind from the cast.

Tangentially Related

Laser Time/VGMpire
From the network that brought you Vidjagame Apocalypse, two other excellent shows. The former isn't entirely a games podcast (it's more comedy based with each episode having a theme), but the latter focuses on video game music. Mentioned because if I don't put these here, I'd look like a hypocrite for adding...

No More Whoppers
Features Ray Barnholt and Alex Fraioli. Not solidly gaming-related, more of a comedy show from two friends (think a My Brother, My Brother and Me-type show). Since Ray is an ex-1UP writer and still a Retronauts regular (where they occasionally promo this for him) it is totally staying in the OP.

Retsutalk
A podcast about whatever the hell they come up with from episode to episode run by forum users Slowbeef and Diabetus, who regularly pull in other SA Let's Players/internet folks as guests to discuss their content and to have general video game discussions. Topics have included chatting with other SA/Let's Play folks, random games one or the other are exceedingly fond of, or Breaking Bad. Arguably the least regular show in this entire OP.

The stuff people brought up in the twilight of the last thread hoping others would give it a shot. I haven't heard any of these yet, so if some suck or are astounding, do tell!

add cane and rinse, pocket gamer, gamewank, bit socket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Thanks for adding From US to You! and Axe of the Blood God to the main list. Much appreciated.

Thanks for continuing to make good podcasts. Speaking of podcasts, that new thread went up per request.

• Locked thread