Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to recommend one of my favourite British podcasts. Cane and Rinse. Very similar format to 'Watch out for Fireballs' in that they pick a game, play it, then discuss it and read out fan-mail on the 'cast.

http://caneandrinse.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Giant Bomb has been steadily improving since Rykert joined, the Mario Party stream, Metal Gear Scanlon, even recent Unprofessional Fridays have all been brilliant. It feels like the sight is trying to make a big push towards recruiting premium members at the moment and if you arn't signed up but love comedy video-game hijinx then it's well worth a look.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SpannerX posted:

Just went to the first post for the first time in ages, and was wondering if Cane and Rinse should be put on there.

I'd say so, it's a fairly typical "play through a game/franchise then discuss", in the same vein as WoFF, but I particularly like the British slant and they have done almost all of the games I love.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Song For The Deaf posted:

Up next is Half-Life, then God Hand. Our Halloween episode will be about the Resident Evil Remake (the one that came out on Gamecube in 2002). After that, we will discuss our adventure game poll winner, which is I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Four of the greatest games of all time, looking forward to these :)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Song For The Deaf posted:

This week's WOFF! is about Half-Life. I'm really proud of this episode, actually.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/83

Up next is God Hand. After that, we've got Resident Evil (2002), and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. This is a fine, fine couple of months of games.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I love your guys show but I have never felt so enraged by an opposing viewpoint as I was listening to the latest WoFF. It honestly sounded like you guys were just trying to be as sour as possible about Half Life and going out of your way to give it a hard time.

I appreciate it's not a game that has aged well and that it's style of story-telling has been copied and bettered several time since but it felt like you were leading the game up death-row to be executed. I had to switch off after like 40 minutes becuase I was so dazzled by how much of a hard time you guys gave it.

Also I personally think the tie-in with Portal to the Half-Life universe is a work of genius, bot share a developer, run in the same engine and have vaguely sci-fi connotations running through them, it's a perfect marriage. I can see why you think half-life isn't a great shooter or has flawed mechanics but being picky about the Portal connection is straight up looking for flaws where there there aren't really any.

Admittedly I'm hugely biased, Half-Life was the first PC game I owned and I was 12 when it was released so it was the messiah of gaming for me and that nostalgia I am looking back on is probably tainted by the years of counter-strike and the like. I dunno, it's your opinion so, like, whatever man. I'll probably give the rest of the podcast a listen while I'm on walkies tonight.

I have to say though, if you give God Hand, a game just as enjoyable though with much more glaring flaws, as hard a time as you gave Half-Life I'm going to feel quite sad inside.

Ps. Rip into the Resident Evil Remake all you like, it's straight up a prettier but worse version of the original.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ElMaligno posted:

However when you preface your grievance with “Don’t meant to sound like a dick”. Include phrases like “had to switch off after 40 minutes”, “I’m hugely biased”. And don’t address any of the, quite frankly, bland and milquetoast criticism Gary and Kole have about the game you come out a horrible hyperbolic passive-aggressive goony as gently caress person.

You have a point, Gary and Cole have been super negative about games before that I adore, Metroid Fusion, Oddworld and Sacrifice come to mind. Then again, I don't particularly mind them giving Oddworld a hard time, as much as I loved it back in 1997 it isn't a game I could go back to in 2014 without having serious grievances. I agree terms like "I'm hugely biased" are just a way of trying to instantly write off any criticism they might have but then again the point they made about it not being a terrific shooter still stand and are indeed magnified by present day game mechanics. Their dissection of Half-Life just happened to rub me the wrong way. For the record I went back and listened to the rest of the episode and it seems that their first 40 minutes were particularly salty. Whatever, that's like their opinion man.

Thanks for teaching me the word milequetoast though, I'll save that for when I want to sound like a right wanker.

As for The Resi Evil remake, I'll probably send in some mail to WoFF expanding on this when you get round to the extrasodes for it but I just felt it's additions ruined the campy B movie quality and turned it into a far more serious, violent ordeal. I'm not saying it's bad, for example I think the Neptune shark scene is a thousands times better in the remake, it's just anytime I get the hankering to replay Resident Evil, it's always the original (or the DS redoing) rather than the Gamecube rearrangement.

Same reason I'll always want to play original Metal Gear Solid rather than Twin Snakes.

Videogames, eh.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get why people rave about Twin Peaks, I gave the first few episodes a shot maybe a decade or so ago and it looked horribly aged then.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gesadt posted:

in what way is it aged? production values? many people like it or at liked way back when because at that time it was a TV series made by David Lynch, as such there was nothing quite like it.

Something about the quality of it made it difficult to watch in a way that only really early 90's television is capable of. I had the same feeling recently when I re-watched Stephen Kings It. That's not to say the plot or anything put me off but the image quality made it unpleasant to watch and that was enough to kill my interest.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I only first watched it a couple of years ago, and while it doesn't start out spectacularly, it really does get awesome because Lynch is great at building towards stuff. I did not like season 2 at all, though.

Fair enough then, I did wonder why people regarded it so highly, and in fairness I only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes, just one of those that skipped me by.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mierenneuker posted:

I was making fun of how that person clearly has zero understanding about how Ebola is transmitted between humans.

Noticed someone on my girlfriends facebook today sharing that apparently Ebola is an airborne disease and the Government is hiding it from us.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Which is why we're all dead and full of ebola. Yep

You will be if you let them vaccinate you.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

Are there any relevant podcasts still talking about GamerGate?

Relevant and GamerGate don't belong in the same sentence.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sad to hear that Alexis is leaving Giant Bomb, that dude always looks like he's having a fun time :cry:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Boss

Instead of dividing the game into linear chunks the way you do with like FF7 you could split it into an episode about game mechanics and design, an episode about the main storyline quest where you go heavy on plot and themes and poo poo, and an episode about sidequests or something.

This sounds like a great idea, Morrowind isn't the sort of game you travel through in a linear fashion like FF7.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I agree. I'm actually not a fan of Portal 2 in general, and I think the pacing is mainly to blame. Especially since Portal 1 is the poster child for "perfect length".

Agree. So Hard. A game you can comfortably complete in one sitting just feels perfect to me in my current employment situation. Since the start of the year I've started and aborted half-way through Baldurs Gate, Dragon Age and Final Fantasy IX after 10-15 hours. It's mostly my fault for sitting reading the Wikis at work and burning myself out by the time I get home but still :cry:

ninja edit: loved this weeks Idle Thumbs :)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KoldPT posted:

with Sacrifice, which is one of my favorite games ever... but which I did beat with a fuckton of cheats.

I adored Sacrifice, at least from a mechanics and story perspective but the game play felt too chaotic to really be skilled with it, one of those games that just played so much better when you blew the poo poo up out of all in your path.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Earl Chestnuts posted:

If it was built around Baldur's Gate/Total War style pausing and planning, you might actually be able to understand what the hell is going on, and be able to make an intelligent reaction instead of the clusterfuck the game actually is.

This would have been an improvement certainly, hell I think the game would probably better for adopting a straight up RTS style, I don't think there is anything gained from having your avatar be part of the action with a third person camera and with a good enough engine surely you could switch between the two on the fly. Sacrifice was a great idea just kinda poorly executed.

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Man, I'd like to play Morrowind, but I've no idea what playstyles are actually fun and viable

The hand-to-hand combat in Morrowind is pretty gash but thats something you can say of all the Elder Scrolls games. It's effective, at least in-game but dear god it's so un-engaging. I'd love an Elder Scrolls world with Dark Souls combat.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sands of Time was an amazing game, the less said about the resulting sequels, the better.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Whats todays Watch out For Fireballs about?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pasco posted:

"I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", going by the schedule.

Aw man that's it, looking forward to my weekly 'watch out for fireballs' jog now :P

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic, one of the darkest game I've ever came across. Not played it myself, watched a fellow brit called Necroscope lets play it but it's almost obscene how twisted it is. Looking forward to listening to this episode :)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rab Florence was on the fringes of being brilliant when he was making Consolevania and Video Gaiden, everything he has done since then is try-hard poo poo talking bullcrap especially the nonsense attempt at a personality that is his twitter account.

The most intelligent, creative and likeable thing he's done in the past 5 years is Burnistoun. I can't think of a funny intelligent way to recount that show but it's best described as a really poor attempt at a sketch show by people who thinks that simply being Scottish is enough to make your material amazing.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 20, 2014

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tenants can be such animals, the lady who sold me the flat I'm currently living in told me about the previous occupants behaviour, things like having to replace all the floorboards in the toilet because they were covered in piss, mouldy old food dug out from behind the back of the kitchen-ware, poo poo stains down the back of the toilet, they must have been goons or some poo poo.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And re: Yoshi's Island hate, Jeff Gerstmann has gone on rants about how much it sucks before. It's like the only game I can think of off the top of my head that he's been totally wrong about.

Jeff Gerstman hates fun.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Well, to be fair, Crash Bandicoot was made by MIT doctorate computer scientists who broke the PSX over their knee and which observers literally thought had to be fake because graphics like that just couldn't be done.

If you are interested in the making of Crash Bandicoot and how they squeezed so much power from the Playstation this is a riveting read - http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Ok I'll bite: how exactly is Dan "booksmart"?

I don't know if I'd call Dan booksmart but the guy has wrote a trilogy of novels, that much at least should be appreciated.

Unless they are total garbage, don't know myself.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Braid is a cool guy but the constant lambasting of Dota is getting old, I used to love the game myself but I got fed up of it eating up all my free time which I could be using on other games so god knows how that works for someone who needs to be playing them for his job. Also the Destiny filibustering on the Game of the Year podcasts was downright embarrassing.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

As much as some people give Alex poo poo for some reason at least he was willing to say that it makes no sense to put Destiny on a GOTY list after naming it one of the most disappointing games. It was probabaly the most salient point made over the entire 5 days of podcasts that was subsequently ignored by Jeff and Brad so Destiny #10 GOTY Giantbomb 2014!

It made sense if you consider that the scope for Destiny is what lead to it's disappointment, it's still capable of being a perfectly good game AND disappointing if the expectations were way too high. Still though, Brad's a dick for championing it so hard. I get he had a lot of fun with it this year but it was literally only him that was fighting for it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For me, Giant bomb isn't a website I visit for it's video-game coverage. It's a site like likeable personalities that just happens to strive to cover as many video game releases as possible. In fairness, I have followed Jeff Gerstman since the Gamespot days and I've always admired his knowledge of the industry.

Hell one of the prevailing themes of the bombcast is they discuss all sorts of topics from food to travel to pop culture (in a humorous way), it's how the manage to produce a roughly 3 hour show each week.

If there was a Giant bomb style podcast which was UK based and about soccer I'd be a happy bunny.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tir McDohl posted:

If not knowing much about what a mortgage is makes one an idiot in your eyes, gently caress off

Agreed. People made a huge song and dance about this and I failed to understand why. I'm the same age as Dan and I had no desire to learn what a mortgage was until I bought my house a year or two ago.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

I think you guys are missing the point. Nobody cares if some one understands what a mortgage is. It's about what you find entertaining.

This. I'm yet to find another podcast that I actively wake up at 6 in the morning to squeeze in before work, just so happens it's about my favourite hobby - vidja gameuz

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

But I totally did by a fight stick. I regret everything.

It distinctly sounds like he's trying to justify all the personal and podcast time spent on a game he doesn't really like.

Well he has spent the last few years championing Dota.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Warbird posted:

At least Dota had Dan play it that one time to much hilarity.

Haha, I forgot about that, even as a fan of Dota (at the time at least) that was one of the most hilarious sketches ever on a UPF.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Whoever said that Gary and Kole should stop reading Gamefaqs posts on Abject Suffering is dead wrong. That stuff is gold, and I hope that someone will honor MY memory by writing a faq of a lovely NES game when I die.

Oh god, it's embarrassing to dig up the old gamefaqs contributions now and again.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fruitpunch posted:

Edit: by extension, I love how this generated this weird dynamic of including so many elements of the games but distorting them so much that they're no longer what they represent. Its a fascinating adaptation for sure.

Exactly this. Its a perfect realisation of someone being told all the main aspects that make up the series and then being asked to make them into a film with no context. Don't get me wrong, it's a terrible movie but as a fan of the series it's almost required viewing.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

Every single Metroid game is bad.

This might or might not be true depending on your opinion and I'm willing to respect anyone's onionss on the metroid series as long as they agree with me that Hunters might be one of the legitimately worst games ever invented.

As for Zelda, I love the idea of the zelda games - that grand sprawling adventure but I've never had my interest hooked long enough to see a single game in the series through. In fairness I don't think I properly sat down and played one till Wind Waker when I was 18.

Just another casual reminder that if they invent time-travel I need to go back and beat into my 12 year old selfs head to ask for a freaking N64 for Christmas.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No one on the Bombcast likes video-games period.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All video games are fun in some way. If you are playing a game you consider 'bad' then I'm envious of your surplus of spare time.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TetsuoTW posted:

Cart Life was definitely more good than it was fun, so was Dear Esther.

Same with Papers Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

Cara Ellison's latest S.EXE article on there is pretty great.

Is there any particular reason Cara Ellison trys to shoehorn sexuality into every games related article she produces?

• Locked thread