Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nice new thread. I just finished the latest thumbs and I'm glad they are giving titanfall a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm loving these idle thumbs twitch events. Please (if you have the resources) make a proper youtube video of the thing suggested on the podcast.

I remember warning you guys about streaming this game the first time. I would even suggest having nothing what so ever from your party on the stream at all. Just save it all for the video.

Any way what ever you decide, it sounds awesome.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that was the best bombcast for ages. Enjoyed having patrick back on also.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ja2ke posted:

Episode 150 was recorded with all five of us on Monday night and then it got corrupted somehow and we are super mad/sad. There is a conf grenade with Tom Francis coming out. Bahhhh.

Ah man that must be so frustrating. :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Fantastic idle thumbs episode, I really enjoyed it.

I have just been browsing here as well

http://www.objectivegamereviews.com/counterstrike-go-review/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Super episode of idle thumbs. For the record I love that chris uses the word "bonkers".

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

coyo7e posted:

It's an overused meme.

It's just a uk every day expression. Don't think that counts as a meme any more than me saying "dude" or some thing (I'm english).

Oh sorry :)

Chumppell posted:

Pretty sure he's making reference to a discussion that occurred a few pages back.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 17, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Beard Yawn posted:

Sean showing up at the end of that episode randomly just tore my brain apart.

Yeah that was hilarious.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Al! posted:

I wish that Nick was playing closer attention in the beginning of AC4 because you actually are working for a sub-studio of literally Ubisoft in the fiction, just because it would've probably blown their minds if he remembers this. You learn this in the first 15 minutes.

It would be hilarious if you had to sign up for a uplay account in game.

I actually have a code for ac4 that came with my gpu but it's like 35 gigs or some thing outrageous and my net sucks. I should definitely play this game though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I've been growing increasingly tired of Idle Thumbs' insistence on keeping in like two minute stretches of them dancing around a conversation that they maybe do or don't want to have and marveling at eachother's idiosyncrasies or whatever it is they're doing during those segments. I don't know if they've been doing it more often or if I used to think it was funny, but that and the fact that I got absolutely nothing out of even the segments of this last episode that weren't a complete waste of time are starting to make me think I should stop listening.

I'm not sure how long you have been listening but IT probably isn't for you if this stuff annoys you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

The latest episode of Three Moves Ahead, which is a discussion about EVE with some EVE fleet commanders, is highly recommended.

Excellent episode. I always find eve stories fascinating. It's such a unique game in that it can create these amazing narratives.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Those noises from that noah game at the end of idle thumbs genuinely had me laughing. I'm so glad there was 5 mins of it. How is that things like that are funny? If you described that to some one they would look at you like you were an idiot.

Not actually seeing the game I think made it funny.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Really enjoyed the crate and crowbar discussion of watch dogs, they actually dismantled the game in a really fair but precise way.

I hope you guys haven't abandoned them because of the audio issues, they are really worth sticking with.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

SoulChicken posted:

It is useful to have someone on to tell Chris the E3 news updates. I remember when Ryan Davis did that and it was my favorite Thumbs episode.

The xbox one?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the bf hardline video they are talking about on IT?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What minute of that polygon video are they talking about?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Crate and crowbar continues to be excellent. I really enjoyed their discussion of older games they liked. People will often mention aliens and lord of the rings as inspiration for loads of games but they are totally right about saving private ryan in the 00's as well.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 13, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Destiny: Pros UI/hair tech. Cons - game.

I also didn't realise emilio estefez and charlie sheen were brothers.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I feel like the Bombcast has splintered to such an extent now that the spark isn't there for me and I can't really enjoy it anymore.

I know what you mean. The original four of them had such good chemistry, it feels completely different now.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
coyo7e it's not really got nothing to do with the content. With the bombcast it was all about the chemistry. Jeff and ryan were amazing and vinny and brad were perfect foils for them. That is what made the cast so good.

The reason why people enjoyed the non gaming bits wasn't because it was non gaming but because the guys were hilarious when put together. It's really hard to recreate that.

I dunno. I feel bad even discussing this. The recent recruits are all nice guys but the cast just doesn't have that x factor.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:(

I wasn't trying to be callous. I actually had to stop listening to the bombcast for a while after ryan died because it bummed me out so badly. That was actually my first post on the state of the BC since then.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I'm just lamenting in the podcast thread.

This is what I was doing as well. :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That reminded me that Jeff Cannata has a podcast and a quick google reveals it's here http://5by5.tv/dlc with Christian Spicer.

I have no idea how good it is but they have already done 34 episodes so I'll give it a go this week some time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vastakaiun posted:

I'll usually follow Jeff anywhere, but I really don't like listening to Spicer, so that show didn't do much for me.

His new show with Anthony Carboni, We Have Concerns, on the other hand is fantastic. It's not about video games, but it's really funny. I really like the format, they release three ~20 minute episodes a week, each one concentrating on one topic or newsstory and them talking about it. Episode 6 is my favourite so far, but any episode will do if you wanna try it out.

Thanks for this. I'm not spicer's biggest fan either but would have at least given it a shot. This podcast you link was actually the one I heard about but forgot.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I agree with danielle that the internet has got really depressing in the last few months. Is it just that we are noticing this stuff more or has it actually got worse?

The fact that that woman actually had to leave her house over a few innocuous videos on gaming is mind numbing. Also that image is ridiculous. Has the definition of an "sjw" now increased to include anyone with half a brain?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I feel old just typing this but the games industry is in this weird spot with teenagers and social media etc. It has to treat them as if they are full adults which leads to all sorts of crazy situations. When I was a teenager all this poo poo was pretty much corralled in school or it would be dealt with face to face by the police.

On the internet it's just open season. I think in 10 years we are going to go full circle and what is happening these days will just be seen as this weird period in the internet's development.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

zapjackson posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Like, not in an I'm being a dick sense, but I honestly don't know. I only listen to the Bombcast. I never go to the site except in the rare instances where a Google search about a particular dev directs me to one of its wiki pages.

It doesn't seem like that would be a rarity. I don't really watch video content on the Internet, and I always figured that's a trait a lot of podcast listeners would share.

Sorry about the audio quality weirdness on the last VGHD. We recorded on different gear and I had to edit it on earbuds. I'll try to re-render it when things get back to normal.

I only listen to the bombcast as well.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoy listening to the bombcast but that's enough for me. I actually think they stretch even that to the limit for content. I used too occasionally watch quick looks and enjoyed some of them like the one where ryan kept failing that horse jumping wii game.

I dunno, I never really thought their video content was that good. It always seems so awkward like they don't know where too look. You never have that problem with audio stuff.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
On a slightly different note. I really enjoyed the crate and crowbar discussion of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_Point:_Road_to_Hell .

Did any one else play this it sounds incredibly ambitious but totally flawed with hilarious bugs some thing idle thumbs would enjoy.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't mind ads because I pay a whopping nothing for the majority of the podcasts I listen to.

This is how I look at it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
IT are excellent at keeping the ads professional but not annoying. Like has been mentioned we all listen to loads of the same podcasts which have a limited set of companies behind them so we get over exposed. Even so I'd say all the podcasts keep it fresh and actually put some effort in so they aren't repetitive.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Al! posted:

I actually prefer ads to be straight copy, preferably with a music bed so that I know hey they're selling a product to me right now. I've found in podcasts that sometimes when they get new conversational about it the ads can become interminable and I'm just skipping forward just so I can get back to non commerce related conversations.

I have no real knowledge of advertising but I'm guessing they sussed this out pretty quickly. I'm sure back in the day ads were just an mp3 at the start that every one skipped. You can't really blame the ad people for trying too make it so some people heard it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think chris said it in the live episode. People that enjoy idle thumbs are laughing along with the hosts in (most) of these bits and don't find them annoying.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It comes off as pretty gimmicky doesn't it.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 14, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
RPS talks about objectivity in games journalism:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/15/editorial-some-subjective-thoughts-on-objectivity/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Jake/chris have you had any crazy back lash from having anita on yet? I enjoyed that it was just a normal episode. I don't follow twitter that much but given the quiet in this thread has the gamersgate stuff calmed down now?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I played Minecraft for about a week and am amazed that everyone else apparently failed to get bored of it after that long, but I've resigned myself to being in the minority on that one. The modding stuff remains baffling though - are there any actual numbers about how many people play modded minecraft? I feel like the kind of person that is going to post on SA about Minecraft or make a videogame podcast is way more likely to do something like install a videogame mod and Zack is probably right, but my opinions and assumptions about Minecraft have been shown to be garbage so I don't know.

I'm the same but then I realise it's because I'm inherently un creative in that way. I used too be really into music production and could spend ages doing that but any thing visual/artistic I'm terrible at.

Minecraft must really appeal to people with a certain personality type.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Idle thumbs should start a steam curators group/thingy. I'm sure the gamersgate people will have a field day but perhaps we should just ignore them as much as possible. RPS has one and I like it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

beef express posted:

There is one (complete with Eyes Of Allard icon) and it's pretty great.

Nice!

• Locked thread