Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Should have waited until the Ides of March for the new thread. Or would that have been too much favoritism? It doesn't matter, everybody likes Idle Thumbs!

This is all a cunning ploy to lure out the Brutus among us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm loving Idle Thumbs' current DayZ setup. If you listened to the latest episode you'll know what it is about.

http://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 1, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder if the guy who wrote in with how to pronounce Vlambeer on the latest Idle Thumbs podcast even realizes it's supposed to be a pun on flambé.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think someone previously said something among the lines of liking Idle Thumbs because they often know some intricate details about subjects. If they aren't knowledgeable about something they'll straight up admit that and not dwell on the subject.

I dislike the Indoor Kids because it's the opposite of that.

Having said that, I still subscribe to the RSS feed but only listen to episodes if the guest interests me (which is usually people who aren't from the comedy scene, even though I listen to plenty of comedy podcasts).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I played the Game Boy version of Hook which was probably pretty close to the NES one (it at least uses the same sprites). The game was alright, but it didn't have any kind of save or password functionality, so you best prepare for a 2-3 hour marathon session if you wanted to finish it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

What DrVenkman was talking about reminds me of this guy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638049/7-dead-drive-shooting-near-UC-Santa-Barbara.html
(that's probably one of those lovely UK tabloids, but you probably will remember it after just reading the lead)
With people like that it's pretty sane choice to take every death threat seriously.

Also, can someone link me to the previous Gaming Podcasts thread, if it isn't already archived? There was a quote in there I'd like to look up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I wanted to do a Mouse Trap analogy, but it kinda fell flat.

So I'll leave you with a genuine piece of Twitter wisdom:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The MRAs are playing a game where it turns out they're the baddies, but because they kept skipping through the dialogues they missed the plot (twist).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 31, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Wasn't he the one who made that bad post about atheism or something on here?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792 (Comedy Gas Chamber, no archives access needed)
You are a richer man not having read that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Not even the part where the guy has to start up his mechanical penis like a lawnmower? That movie was friggan weird.

Charles Dance's greatest silver screen moment.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Somebody linked me to this:
http://advances.realtimerendering.com/destiny/siggraph2014/heads/index.html#syllabus
...and I couldn't help but think of Idle Thumbs episode 168.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

I was talking with someone about my impending flight to Portland, and this was their advice: "If you're seated next to someone from Africa, ask to be moved. You never know."

Hey, you never know if you might end up getting freaky and joining the mile high club with that person!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I was making fun of how that person clearly has zero understanding about how Ebola is transmitted between humans.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I am not all that excited about Far Cry 4. I really like that all the main games have been very different experiences so far, even though they all had their notable flaws. That seems to end with Far Cry 4, which looks like it builds on everything from FC3.

I fear it'll be another Ubisoft franchise where they continue to make good games, but in which the spark of ingenuity has faded.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

(clickable)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Don't have an exact quote, but he recently said something among the lines of death threats against people like Anita Sarkeesian not being credible because no one died. He thinks because he can handle harassment by shoving his fingers in his ears, everyone else should too.

Edit: He also listed Polygon's review for Gone Home as an example of problems with video game ethics, because the reviewer was a friend of the contracted composer for the game (a certain Christopher B. Remo*).

Because you know, it's about ethics in video game journalism and YouTubers are all very concerned about ethics.

*Boost

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 19, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Didn't they even name Edward Norton's character "Jack" in that game? That says it all really.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You can look forward to getting multiple answers, none which will guide you to the definitive iOS app for podcasts.

I use Downcast myself.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Fallout 3 doesn't run on Win8? I've been playing New Vegas lately and was going to go back and give F3 another shot after I finished this run. Huh.

It can definitely run, but there are at least two steps you need to take:
1) install GFWL or an unofficial patch that removes the need for it altogether;
2) edit some ini files so it plays nice with multi-core processors, otherwise the game will crash every 30 minutes.

There are a dozen guides on Steam, like the one Samopsa linked above, that have the proper instructions.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 19, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

To be honest, ClickHole does have articles where you actually need to read them before getting to the parts making it platantly obvious that it's a joke. In the proces you'd still have to ignore things like this though.

So what the hell, dude.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Sounds to me like you don't understand understand, understand understand, understand understand, the concept of the concept of love.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The first GB game is what introduced me to Hall of the Mountain King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bv9iuC4KJs

It's a decent game, simply by virtue of it being actually beatable back in the day. The final boss fight is a slog though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I hope my comment didn't haunt you for the past twelve and a half months.

I don't even remember posting that. Time sure flies.

• Locked thread