Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If SR2 didn't have a garbage PC port, it'd probably have better reception or at least a cult following after its passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not having "Professional equipment" I.E. having a decent mic and learning how to filter through a program is no excuse honestly. It's so incredibly cheap to sound decent unless your budget is less than 100 bucks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

I wish I didn't hate the videogames industry so much because I would like to listen to idleThumbs and GB again. But I just can't take all the inside baseball because it all makes me so disgusted.

I'm not really sure what Giantbomb was before Ryan's death, but GB podcasts are usually an hour of them what they played, news, and e-mails. It rarely goes into like what a game is in super technical detail unless they have a guest on like Dave Lang who basically has PTSD flashbacks whenever they talk about the PS3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Catman Begins posted:

And has at least 20 minutes of what they've eaten that week.

And the new "Ask Dan a story about his past" segment, which then delves into Brad committing mental suicide or becoming more like Dan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I think Brad mentioned that, since taking over podcast hosting, he's been doing the editing, too, and he spends time editing out Ums and Ahs and various pauses. That would be a lot more more of a pain in a video podcast.

That's loving nuts. I used to do that, and it made me quit editing because it's so tedious to listen for something 3 times as long as the actual podcasst at times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The best episode of Twin Peaks is the one called Deadly Premonition.

Swery hasn't seen Twin Peaks, guys.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is literally a picture of the twin peaks in the game. Literally

Well yeah, if people haven't gotten the joke already it's Swery "saying" he never saw Twin Peaks to hide the fact that he totally copied everything except it had an ending.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If Twin Peaks had never existed everybody would be talking about how Deadly Premonition was such a wacky Japanese take on America. It's the exact kind of exaggerated pastiche that people usually love when it's about other peoples' culture, it just happens to have been made by Americans.

Thankfully Swery came out with another game, this time on "his take" on the Boston-New York beef...which I'm told is accurate but not accurate for the reasons he probably thinks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I really need to dig into the rabbit hole that is Patreon because I follow a group and they get about 740$ per video, and they do a video literally every day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, there's plenty of games but if you are not interested in the first 10 months of this year it's honestly a loss cause, especially if you're swearing off Nintendo for some reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

al-azad posted:

I think its been a good year for niche games. It's not a year with big universal hits aside from the annual stuff

This is the year that two version of Super Smash brothers came out, it is really hard to get more universal and big than that outside of Pokemon who will also probably sell more copies than 90% of games released this year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There are more and better triple-A games this year than last year, unless you thought the Last of Us was the epitome of video gaming in all facets.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

8-4 is one of the very few podcasts in general that time-stamp their topics, so they will always have my listen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jimbot posted:

You could probably make a documentary based off the last 20-25 years of design and how patterns and trends emerge. I mean, the biggest innovation in FPS these days are reusing ideas from 20 years ago (the whole mobility stuff in Titanfall and Advanced Warfare) and the response is like the whole genre got reinvigorated or something.

There are games that don't cost 60 at launch you should maybe look at, maybe

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just to inform your Idle Thumb conversation about fighting games, just about all fighting games have balance patches, including Street Fighter. Every iteration (Super-AE-Ultra) are balance changes along with new content. Characters change all the time with frame data and/or new moves.

Smash Brawl was the last fighting game that wasn't getting any patches period.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well if you want a specific example, Street Fighter 4 AE edition got a huge balance patch that was called 2012 that wasn't a new iteration.

I'm not familiar with Dota balance changes, but the Smash 4 changes recently seem to fall in line with other fighting games, like taking out glitches (Yoshi teleport, Item lag cancel), strength changes (changing Luma's recovery from 8 to 13 seconds), frame changes (characters like Wii Fit trainer increases 10 frames landing after an air dodge), etc.

And just in case you mention Smash again, tournaments do want to use Custom moves but the lack of a master memory system to transfer custom moves to multiple systems is big reason why they're not standard yet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yakuza is modern Shenmue, why do people want a modern thing that already exists

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't learn about mortgages until I was about to discharge from the military, and that was optional thing to take. Especially when you're a free roamer like Dan who's always lived in apartments, there's nothing that actually points you to stuff like mortgages being a common thing in life.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm happy it was because nobody else takes Nintendo seriously

See: Giantbomb talking about which system to buy and completely forgetting the Wii U exists

When's the last time you listened to them, because they've been constantly saying the Wii U was the best console to own this year

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lords is triple a? I thought it was made by a relatively small polish company.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What's wrong with alex?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Considering Giant Bomb and Gamespot are interchangable since they crossover so much, there's really two females that can regularly get in their works. Mary Kish has been in a lot of streams and premium podcasts/videos, and I assume Alexia Cor Ray is going to join in at some point since she's had plenty of podcast time with Patrick and Alex.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The whole Far Cry 4 thing was honestly pretty dire as well, until they actually played the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Brad picks one game and basically threatens others from removing it from the top 10 list, and Jeff eggs him on because he hates most genres and Nintendo in a really negative way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jeff is a funny man that just happens to the boss of a video game show. Brad is their designated Moba guy, the rest have a pretty good variance on their tastes of genres and are willing to open up if there's a specific game of that genre, I.E. Hearthstone for card games, etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No amount of pc people would convince brad to not put destiny in the list, he was full on stockholm syndrome with the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you judge anything by a Games thread, everything is poo poo and terrible .

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Giantbomb is not a website about game opinions, it's a site about comedians that happen to really like games and they highly preach going to sites that agree with a person's opinions instead of hoping they turn their opinion to a specific person's.

Except Dan Ryckert. He is a weapon of destruction that should be appeased because he will destroy the world if games didn't exist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's a fine line between being dumb and being inexperienced. A lot of things that Dan is "dumb" about are things he's never been exposed to, like mortgages and most food. He's pretty open about learning things, but sometimes he does the Ironic Guy bit a too much like calling transformers a show for children while under the same breath talking about GI Joe storylines for half an hour.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I enjoyed all but 1 hour of the GOTY podcast, it was only really the Destiny stuff at the end when it stopped being a 9 man conversation and just Brad vs. the world. The Vinny/Alex dynamic throughout was fantastic, especially when talking about Shitbot and bringing up Police. Enforcer. Crime. Action.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

Anyone care to recommend a playthrough of Lords of the Fallen to watch? I don't think I want to play it myself but I'd like to have an idea of what the game is like before Bonfireside Chat gets to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXw94OJ54M

If you care about spoilers, don't watch it obviously.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What, even the Oracle GBA games?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Final Fantasy 13 was a huge deal, I think you guys are letting the whole 13 universe and years of hindsight dull the impact of that game's expectations. Keep in mind it was partly a huge deal because it was the first time ever Microsoft got a Final Fantasy game on the console (4 discs, though).

Also, you might be mixing up two Xbox Rpgs. Blue Dragon was made by the Dragon Quest guys, Lost Odyssey was the FF guys.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do SMT Nocturne and quit the first time you die.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

I love Persona 4 but I can't see the WOFF guys playing through it without getting frustrated. It is long. Like, one of the longest JRPGs I have ever played.

Persona 4 is a long rpg, but well-paced for its content and story. I mean if we were cruel, we could suggest Suikoden IV or V, the latter which probably has the slowest build-up in the history of games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

bobservo posted:

Yeah, I would definitely play Persona 4 first if you've never approached the series, but it's a beefy-rear end game. I wasn't poopsocking by any means, but I'm pretty sure I clocked in at just over 100 hours on the PS2 version--no idea how much the expanded content on the Vita adds to that.

It's a give and take. They added another main character, an extra dungeon, and about 4 more activities but it's probably evened out by all the hours you save from not reset-scumming for skills since they made it pick-and-plop.

It's also graphically superior by a big margin outside of playing the original on an emulator.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

No one on the Bombcast likes video-games period.

He's looking for not sarcastic answers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jason will probably like and play it, and he's a semi-regular on the podcast.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

If the interview didn't hit the ground running with the equivalent of "When did you stop beating your wife?" people would focus more on the context of it.

What I want to know is: who are these people that have seen Molyneux's resume of the past 10 years (Black and White, multiple Fable's, Milo, etc) and still giving him loads of money?

Um, because they were successful projects that made money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently one of the Jimquisition's podcast co-host wrote an interview with Molyneux in this euro written thing called the Guardian or something. Dunno what that is, but he did at least do another interview.

• Locked thread