Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think the problem is that they just don't care enough to actually work and make the podcast as good as it can be. Maybe that's not the case at all, but that's always the impression I've gotten from the constant format changes and the general lack of effort that they show in general when it comes to bringing/discussing games. It just seems like a thing they're doing because they're a video game website so they have to have a podcast. I mean it's not like they're sticking to a strict release date, so putting out a monthly podcast the week before arguably the two biggest releases of at least this half of the year come out is just silly. And if they're doing it because they anticipated not having enough time to record it this week, then that just kind of points out that maybe they should rethink why they're even doing the podcast and what its role is on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
This is going to be a hugely controversial opinion and I'm prepared to be yelled at and eventually exiled over it, but the new Idle Thumbs theme is pretty good...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
A new episode of Besties is out and I have to wonder how long they're going to stay with this format. They spend the first 8 minutes of the episode talking about why they're not talking about certain games, and Griffin even jokes about how goofy it is that they won't talk about his two favorite games that came out in March because ~reasons~. And they're waiting another month to talk about DS2, which means by the time that episode comes out it'll be two months since the 360/PS3 versions came out, so I'm not sure what fresh and exciting perspective they hope to provide. It's not like the PC version is drastically different in terms of content/gameplay that it makes sense to save discussion of it until it's out. And even this episode kind of had to cover hot bangers like Infamous and Titanfall, which if it weren't for the 360 release wouldn't even be getting discussed anywhere else right now.

I dunno, the choice to go monthly is seeming more and more bizarre with each new episode.

e: Haha, during the Infamous segment. "Why are you so bad at this?" "...I played it a long time ago."

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 10, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Forums Barber posted:

craigslist is the place to go for people who need forty bucks right now and are willing to give you all their plastic instruments for it. Just bring Lysol a gun.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

coyo7e posted:

I still think the chemistry is good and they're still pretty funny however, it's just that I honestly am unable to recall anything that they've discussed recently, except how annoying/sketchy it is to move around arcade cabinets.

They haven't talked about arcade cabinets in like a year+. What is your bizarre definition of 'recently'?

e: /\/\ Well ok then I just don't know.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think we can all agree that no matter what your hobbies are, the most important thing is to be unbearably smug about them. I'd expand on that point but I really don't have the time to lower myself to such uncouth topics and am gonna go back to recreating scenes out of classic Japanese films out of origami.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I really need to go back play V all the way through one of these days, I keep hearing about how good it is. All I remember about it is that the graphics were kind of terrible and really basic for a game that came out in the same year as Final Fantasy XII. Granted, comparing any game's production values to a FF game isn't super fair, but I remember the environments/towns especially being just completely flat and boring. Maybe playing it on PCSX2 will help that a bit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I love the part about being censored. Who will dare to speak on behalf of the straight white male? I mean all we have is twitter, tumblr, facebook, youtube, and twitch to broadcast our stupid loving opinions. It's basically the Soviet Union all over again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Lugaloco posted:

It always cracks me up when people confuse censorship with criticism of an expressed opinion. If you can't tell the difference then frankly you're ill-prepared to defend your position at all.

It's the modern day equivalent of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

:allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the most terrifying part for me is easily the calm levelheadedness of some of those people in the face of this completely ludicrous thing. If everyone was just yelling or making posts like the "Make sure you save this just in case it happens. It will help us bring her down." guy then you'd chalk it up to online craziness, but seeing people actually think about how they shouldn't call an emergency line and should just be there to document this absolutely mind-blowingly fake hypothetical situation because they think it might actually happen is nuts. Like, how deep do you have to be into the GamerGate crazy well to just accept poo poo like this as totally plausible. :psyduck:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bobservo posted:

I think it's been said, but the engine behind this whole Quinn issue is "a woman had sex (!!!) and it wasn't with me." I'm currently covering PAX, and I ducked into the Game Industry Rumble for a bit to check out what it was, because I've never attended it in the past. If these shitlords had any consistency, panels like this would be their 9/11: It's nothing but journos and devs, palling around and throwing inside jokes at each other for 90 minutes while a rowdy audience cheers them on. It's harmless, of course, but it's an explicit display that, yes, people from both sides of the industry have close relationships with each other.

I think a pretty big giveaway that most of the #GamerGate people don't actually understand what they're complaining about is the fact that GiantBomb has barely been mentioned. Those guys are better friends with and have had more content with developers in it than probably any other site, yet people are bitching about sites like Kotaku and Polygon. If you want to complain about developer/journalist shenanigans at least pick the site that's openly proud of their close relationships with devs (because Jeff knows that if you're a reasonable adult you'll understand that it isn't actually a big deal).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pacey-con.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't think there's a better example of just how out of touch with reality some of those people are than the guy who posted that his side is "looking for full loving nuclear option. ending careers and marriages. Federal time for racketeering. Smeering their careers forever."

Yeah that seems like a totally realistic and reasonable response to allegations that an indie developer slept with somebody who works for a video game bog. Yup, nothing completely ludicrous about that at all.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
We mostly talk about it in the GB thread. Dan posts there occasionally and is pretty awesome about owning up to the fact that he's an idiot about some things.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

lizzyinthesky posted:

So the GamerGaters launched their ~real game journalism~ site, goodgamers.us and true to form their first review is internet furry rape simulator Corruption of Champions.

This is basically the best possible outcome. http://www.donotlink.com/blji

Well they're off to a great start with a review that throws the word rape around like it's just some boring old gameplay mechanic. Finally a site for ~real gamers~. Is there a betting pool yet for how long it'll take these guys to get tired of running a site and pretending to be journalists?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And the winner of the "I don't realize that I'm going to need to get an actual job in like 2 years because Google AdSense isn't going to support this entire staff" award goes to:

quote:

Rob L Newnham
Senior Editor at GoodGamers

Consummate PC-Masterrace (with the occasional Nintendo deviance) who spends most of his days sitting in front of a computer, either writing or gaming. Or both at once.

Is there a bigger giveaway that you don't understand how the real world works than unironically having 'PC-masterrace' in your official description? Have fun explaining to the person conducting your job interview that it's just a dumb phrase that means you like PC games and has no connection to that whole silly Nazi thing about committing genocide against entire groups of people. It's just a funny joke, get it? Yeah, that's not going to be an awkward conversation at all.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sober posted:

I mean I get their intent, to have more of a grassroots site for gaming news, but eventually they have to realize if all you're doing is reporting news, you have a billion other sites to compete against who are backed by corporations who know how to make money and get eyes on them instead.

There are also a bunch of websites already out there that are all about "independent video game journalism", and the fact that they're so small/irrelevant that most of the gamergate people apparently don't know about them says a lot. I mean, one of their Contributing Editors is a guy who's also an editor for GatherYourParty.org which, as far as I can tell, has the exact same mission statement as goodgamers:

quote:

Started in early 2012, GYP was formed by people who are passionate about video games, and were disappointed with the current state of games journalism.

We set out to provide a better source of information for consumers in a market that has become more and more dominated by blatant advertising and soulless click-bait.
Hmm...sure sounds familiar.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I stopped listening to the Bombcast when Dan said he couldn't eat Tomatoes in any form other than ketchup and that they were disgusting.
I had the sudden realization that I was putting time aside to listen to a grown man whine about his bizarre eating habits and I could find anything better to do with my time.

Jeff has spent probably like over an hour of total airtime complaining about lovely pizza in his area over the years. I guess Dan was just your breaking point.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jimbot posted:

The thing that kind of bothers me is whenever they bring up Diablo 3, most notably the loot aspect of it, they say how much better it is compared to Destiny. I haven't played Destiny except in beta form and I can already tell you that the loot in Destiny is far superior to those in Diablo 3 at launch.

The thing that bothers you is that when people compare Destiny to Diablo they don't arbitrarily decide to compare it to the older, inferior version of Diablo that's been patched to hell and back since launch? What?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jimbot posted:

I'm not saying it's an invalid criticism, I'm just saying it's unrealistic to think a game that launch should stack up to a game that has been out for years. Especially when the base game itself is more of a platform than anything. That's what bothered me.

Except they were specifically talking about the loot system, not the overall amount/quality of content of Diablo 3 compared to Destiny, so I'm not sure where you're even coming from with these ideas about how it's unfair to compare the two. They just said playing Destiny makes them want to play Diablo, and Brad even said he feels the exact opposite. What would them putting out a disclaimer and saying that Diablo 3 was bad at launch accomplish, exactly?

Also I'm sorry, but saying that it's unfair that a game with a budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars shouldn't be compared to other games in its genre that have been out for a few years because it's actually a Content Delivery Platform™ and it's totally gonna get way better down the line is kind of ridiculous and excusing the game's flaws with the assumptions that it'll all just be fixed at some point. The game's not some free/cheap download that you can buy DLC for later to add content. It's a massive, widely marketed AAA release that costs $60 and has a story campaign.

No one is saying that Destiny will never be good, and there seem to be plenty of people having a lot of fun with it. Everyone understands that Bungie's going to keep pumping content into the game and working on it for years, but it's not like they're going to be giving all the new content away for free and therefore deserve to have criticism of the release product tempered and adjusted with that in mind.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Valve's done a pretty good job of not introducing stuff that totally hides what class someone is or messes with the silhouette of a class. The only stuff that does has some kind of restriction on it so that you can only use it during certain times like Halloween. I think the different weapons/items are probably way more confusing for a new player than what hat someone is wearing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Don't worry, the bastion of free speech and open-mindedness on the internet that is reddit is still going strong with plenty of :tinfoil: theories about how posts "criticizing" Anita/Zoe/video games are being ~mysteriously~ deleted. Because of widespread corruption you see, not because they're attacking people and looking up their personal info, which is just fighting for integrity and The Truth™. It'd be really, really funny if people's lives weren't actually getting damaged by these loving idiots.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How complex is vanilla Minecraft nowadays? I stopped paying attention a while ago because I just don't have the creativity or attention span to spend hours building some awesome castle, but I remember the vanilla version being super barebones for the longest time, and seeing almost trivial gameplay changes touted as big updates. Is there an actual game there now, or is it still mostly just a big sandbox that now has a lot more materials to play with?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He also has a pretty sizeable reddit following because any time a big controversy comes up he releases the type of video that panders to those idiots and reinforces all their opinions about how this particular thing really is The Worst.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah he used to post here but got ran out since he'd constantly get into idiotic arguments with people and was a ridiculously smug rear end in a top hat to anyone who dared have a differing opinion than him.

Like he would straight up use his # of followers/subscribers as a measurement of how much more his opinion was worth than us common peasants without big youtube channels.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it looks like he jumped into the boss fight instead of clearing those guys out (it's kind of annoying to do there) and then forgot/didn't know that they don't just go away so when the boss died and the fog cleared they just walked in and killed him. :darksouls:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I stopped listening to it a while ago (and also apparently they just stopped doing them a couple of months ago without saying anything because lol commitment), but Polygon's Besties podcast is coming to a close because everyone not named McElroy is leaving. I saw Justin talking about how he wants to start a new video game podcast a while ago, and they should just have Polygon license/co-sponsor MBMBAM episodes. Just throw in a mandatory 10 minute segment in the middle about which video games they all played that week and it'll be fine. Travis's opinions about video games can't be any worse than Russ's were.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I had no idea that Chris Plante left to work at the verge, but they literally couldn't find anyone else at polygon to fill in the podcast? Oh well I guess sometimes the besties was good and most of the time it was kinda bad. New York Giraffe rip

Griffin wrote up a statement and it was basically an admission that their most recent change to the format wasn't really working all that well so between having to find two more people and think of some other different format for the 10th time they're instead just gonna go do something else.

I still don't understand why they don't just do a casual "talk about video games/whatever for an hour" podcast like basically every other site does. I don't care about Polygon or follow them but I get the impression that they have enough readers/listeners that it wouldn't be a complete waste of time. I'd definitely tune in every once in a while if they had a cool guest on or were talking about a game I'm interested in. Who knows.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah they don't have an agenda, they're just out to provide a balanced and in-depth look at exactly why feminists are the literal devil who are all going to take our video games away.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You make it sound pretty serious, but it's basically just been him laughing at people as they throw the same dumb comebacks/insults/threats at him as usual. Except they don't actually mean anything because he's a man, so in his case he hasn't even been doxxed despite writing an entire article calling GG supporters slopebrowed weaseldicks, slackjawed pickletits, paint-huffing shitgoblins, and more.

My favorite are the people who are calling him a jock that's bullying nerd gamers. The loving dude streams himself playing PoE and has written an article about his favorite Hearthstone decks. It's been pretty funny to watch.

Also he called GG a terrorist organization at one point, which spawned its own hilarious "discussion" where a bunch of GG accounts immediately got up in arms and tried to defend themselves, including such gems as "has there been any first person actual engagement via violence towards anyone?" and "both sides are throwing around a lot of threats!"

\/\/\/ Yeah and that, and the fact that his name is one of the hidden secret characters in X-Com, and any of the other dozens of things that make him a giant nerd that are easily google-able. But you know, loving sports jock with his dumb jock opinions.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 23, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man who knew that running a website and having to constantly spit out content is hard. Hey they almost made it two months though, so good try.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

double nine posted:

competition: totalbiscuit posted a video on reviews. I made it 1:07 before giving up. I still have no idea what the hell his point was. Can you do better?

Well if it's like the rest of his videos then his point was to pander to redditors by taking some kind of pointless stand on an obvious issue that no one actually disagrees with like "Day 1 DLC that cuts content from games is bad!" so that he can get some more upvotes and subscribers.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And I've been sending people poop in the mail for free :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Milkman posted:

A game can be disappointing and still be good. Destiny is still a good game. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp.

Because in this instance out of the 8 people discussing it, 6.5 didn't think that it was a good game at all. Jeff ended up flipping despite building a year-long case that Destiny is terrible, but no one else at the table had any desire to put Destiny in the top 10. Having games that only a single person likes is precisely why they do individual top 10 lists in addition to the main GOTY stuff. Brad hijacking an hour of the last day of the biggest podcast of the year for his childish filibuster was just frustrating to listen to and was easily the least entertaining hour of the 12 they recorded for GOTY discussions.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's not like he thought it was a type of cheese or something. He just didn't know the details or what refinancing a mortgage entails. I would wager that it's not something most people learn about as they grow up, it's something that you at some point either have explained to you or look up because you start looking into buying a house.

The bottom line is there are like a thousand other, better reasons for why Dan's an (self-admitted) idiot besides "lol he doesn't know what this specific thing that only applies when you're trying to buy a house is".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SoulChicken posted:

I just got so loving owned.

I think you made a pretty decent point about how sometimes people just don't know what a thing is, even if it seems like everyone else on the planet does.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sounds like some people here have never stumbled onto http://selfiesatfunerals.tumblr.com/

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The 2015 thread is almost ready but just needs a few more months for polish and to get the keyboard controls right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ugh just re-release an HD version of the 2012 thread. That's the one everyone likes anyway.

• Locked thread