Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I don't listen to it regularly, but Giant Bomb's biweekly morning show definitely deserves a spot in the OP: http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/bombin-the-a-m-with-scoops-and-the-wolf/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
One of the things I appreciate about VGHD is that they talk about phone games and other small-scale stuff without treating them like second-class citizens.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Games are also able to fail in ways that movies and books cannot. The multiplayer servers for the new Harry Potter book do not go down under load. You will never have framerate issues and crashes reading Cormac McCarthy's latest book outside after 3 p.m. when using a cloth bookmark. Some level of attention on their performance as products is required and probably won't be going away, because making perfectly stable software (and hardware) is difficult, if not impossible.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The latest episode of Three Moves Ahead, which is a discussion about EVE with some EVE fleet commanders, is highly recommended.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jippa posted:

What is the bf hardline video they are talking about on IT?

This Polygon interview: http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/12/5802816/battlefield-hardline-gameplay-e3-2014

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
She'll probably be around more frequently: https://www.idlethumbs.net/about#about-page-hosts

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think people don't think about that because the analog sticks on the Dual Shock 2 (and 3!) never really made that feel as good as the Xbox controller did with Halo.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Song For The Deaf posted:

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for the GameBoy Color.

Released in the west as simply "Metal Gear Solid." Also, this game was really great back in like 2000, I'm curious to see how it holds up for you guys today.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

They're not hardcore gamers and it's not like they spread misinformation. Sometimes they get a minor detail wrong and they correct themselves later. But they do know comedy, they know writing, and they talk to people both outside and inside the industry and it's that unique perspective I look for. I'm ashamed to admit I know way too much about video games as a subject so unless you're relating your personal experience then I probably already know the subject you're talking about.

It can be kind of interesting to hear people who are not super-immersed in games react to them, but for the most part they don't really have anything interesting to say in their "whatcha been playing" type segment. They can be a lot of fun with the right guest, though.

al-azad posted:

I wish we got more esoteric people on these shows. I don't care about the Lead Designer whose interviewed everywhere, I want to hear from the scenario writer and what he thought his favorite scene was or something. The Witness apparently has hundreds of distinct footstep sound effects so interview the sound engineer and the challenge of recording all that and translating it into a video game. Break video games down by examining the things unique to medium.

Tone Control does a bit of this. Even big lead designer types like Jake Solomon end up talking about weird implementation details and crazy stories from earlier in their careers.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand people who have strong opinions on the pronunciation of "gif"

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Be sure you listen through the survey nonsense at the very end of the Bombcast for some more top-shelf Dan nonsense.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Or Two Rooms and a Boom: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/134352/two-rooms-and-boom

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Justin was tweeting about doing an in-depth podcast with reviewers that focuses each episode on a single game. That sounds way more interesting than another 'some guys bullshit about games/game news' podcast, as entertaining as Justin and Griffin could be on one of those.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

zapjackson posted:

I think it's kinda below the radar of a lot of the bigger casts. Man it's good, though, for my money.

I think early access games fall through the cracks with traditional media outlets, because the final release date is not a big deal, and "this game just came out so we should play it" is how they schedule things. It kinda sucks, but that's how it is. Early access is weird.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TetsuoTW posted:

Holy poo poo, The GIA still exists?

They came back a couple years ago.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Stab posted:

What do SSS+ games look like?

Content: In this week's Thumbs, I was afraid Danielle was going to casually drop playing Code Name: STEAM and then forget to actually bring it up in detail. I'm glad to be wrong.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Then, we're ringing in the new year with an episode about Rock Band, which I'm very excited about.

That is very exciting! You should see about getting former Rock Band lead designer and current spinning limousine monger Dan Teasdale for the extrasode.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

CottonWolf posted:

I would say that iTunes is the worst of all possible podcast management programmes, except that all of the other ones I've tried have been worse. Does anyone have any good suggestions for podcast apps?

Overcast or Pocket Casts. You'll get more answers in your smartphone OS apps thread in IYG.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A Bonfireside Chat question:

I've been listening along with my first (very late) Dark Souls playthrough, and just reached the Anor Londo spoiler gate. Are the spoilers entirely story-based, or are there somehow gameplay spoilers?

My ability to piece together the story so far is entirely based on discussions in the previous episodes, and unless they really shake up the way it unfolds in the rest of the game, I expect I'd appreciate it more alongside a spoiler-y unpacking on BSC? I just wouldn't want any gameplay-centric reveals spoiled, if any exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Based on things I've heard Riff say on VGHD, I'd lean closer to Persona 4 than Persona 3 in the future if/when we approach that series.

We have to be incredibly strategic about which JRPGs we do because they blow out our capacity for a month at a time.

The Vita version will be the one to play, if you guys are equipped for it.

• Locked thread