Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

New Episode of Check it Out, Comrade! covering Risk of Rain and Horsemaster. Some more really good ranting against the "not a game" types from Gary in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

And going along with the "Gameboy Advance + Gamecube" family is the link cable:

Mildly useful if you wanted to be a dick and drop bombs on your friend as Tingle, but also all but required for Four Swords Adventure or Final Fantasy: Crystal Tactics.

Fun note: The original version of the cable was designed for the original Gameboy Advance, and was thus too wide to use for the Advance SP. It would cause the L and R shoulder buttons to be permanently pressed down.

Cool note about this, the "Tingle Tuner" feature for Wind Waker was used by speedrunners for a glitch known as the "Zombie Hover". Essentially, if you lost all your health a specific way, you could mash your controller to hover and skip some really large portions of the game. Problem is, as soon as you touched ground, you'd die. However, Tingle Tuner allows you to purchase hearts and heal immediately. So speedrunners zombie hover to where they need to be, quickly use the GBA to give themselves some health, and land safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTPINL7UQs

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Samopsa posted:

My duckfeed.tv ranking list: Bonfire Side Chat, Watch Out for Fireballs, The Level, Check it out Comrade!. I don't really listen to the rest enough to give an opinion.

As an aside to this, what would you guys like to see from Comrade! that would improve things but doesn't break the model too much (indie games, short eps)? Gary has pitched the "bundle" idea, where we get a new indie bundle on the first day and quickly push an episode briefly covering all of the games, good or bad. That will probably happen soon.

So far the show has basically just been recorded conversations that Gary and I would have had, podcast or no. We like it, but we're open to suggestions; both on games to play, as well as greater improvements to the formula.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

We've been spamming it at the end of our eps and on our social media outlets, but might as well post here as well. If you enjoy Check it Out, Comrade! and haven't left us an iTunes review (not just a rating) yet, do so in the next day or two to be entered into a raffle for BoI: Rebirth.

We'll announce the winner this weekend on FB and twitter probably, because Gary hasn't beaten WL2 yet so we're going to delay the next episode, but we want you to have your copy before the game comes out next Tuesday.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Woffle posted:

RE: Splitting Morrowind, thank you everyone for the input. I'm hesitant to totally switch up our formula (we've had bad luck trying to discuss plot and mechanics as separate things) so I'm thinking of Main Quest, Guild Quests, Assorted Side quests and stuff. Does that make sense?

Regarding expansions, we likely won't include them in the show for the sake of time but I very well may play them on my own.

Please indulge my love of open-source engine remakes and pimp the OpenMW Project. Site isn't cooporating at the moment, but it's a very active project to recreate the engine to work well on modern systems and be more moddable. It's not 100% complete yet, but it works, and it's steadily getting closer to being fully playable.

They've even managed to accidentally fix a bug that existed in the original game and had to go back and change things to replicate the bug.

quote:

One particularly interesting bug left Dagoth Ur dead. In Morrowind you were supposed to defeat seven of Dagoth Ur’s cronies before facing the big bad himself. A script would be running that lowered Dagoth Ur’s health by 50 points every time you killed one of them, making for a total of 350 points of damage to the Sharmat. In vanilla Morrowind, this script was broken so the damage was not done. However, OpenMW didn’t have this bug in the first place, so the script ran as instructed. The result was that Dagoth Ur, who only had 300 health, would already be lying dead in his cavern before you had even reached him. Ironically, the effects of the bug needed to be replicated to make the game function as intended.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

If any of you regular posters in here are AnnieDawn430 on itunes, get in touch with me or Gary, we got some Rebirth coming your way.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Little late to the chat, but I also have a Mechanical Keyboard, so editing Comrade! is often times a hilarious game of "find the clicks". Luckily we like our light discussion format so besides keyboards and other noise, editing is quick.

On a related note, I've got a new mic (thanks in part to Patreon backers!), so I'll no longer sound godawful compared to Gary.

I really should play the drat DS2 DLC. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

I won't bother to contribute to Yoshi's Island chat because I have nothing to add that hasn't been said. It's a pretty decent game but it certainly isn't perfect. However, this is the best vid. The *GDQ Marathons are one of my favorite things. Gary and I try to get together for a night during each one for an *GDQBBQ where we eat some wings and watch people destroy games in an entertaining fashion.

• Locked thread