Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Quick correction for the OP, I believe you meant Lord Chris Remo for the host of Idle Thumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't know what I'm going to do when Retronauts finishes out it's 52 podcasts, you guys keep hitting them out of the park.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of Can and Jeremy Parish, can we do a Kickstarter to buy him a pop filter?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

I think this episode was the last one we recorded where he didn't have one for his home setup. We've also soundproofed the vault, so things should start sounding a lot better in general.

Awesome!

It probably doesn't help that I have some low rent earbuds, but Jeremy had a string of sentences that were Punctuating Properly on all P's in the PArappa episode.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nick recommended this on this week's Idle Thumbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfV8IhsHq0&t=1060s

I watched it live and had my mind blown. A good recommendation from Nick.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Xtanstic posted:

There's a Blindfolded Punch Out run that was pretty cool

That... Was... Linked... Immediately... After... His... Post...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idle Thumbs usually is pretty good about audio levels, and you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not listening to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Once a month isn't bad, but only if he has a better release schedule than Robert Ashley.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I googled her name and the second hit was a hit piece about how her review and score of Dragon's Crown was unfair and biased. All of the comments were "guys get sexualized too!"

There's a good reason why we have gamers.txt, and it's mostly because white dudes can't shut up about other people having opinions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey Jake, I know you read this thread, so I'll address it to you: can you guys lighten up on the idea that people should all be treated equally and fairly?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a certain je ne sais quoi about Danielle...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Optimus Subprime posted:

I enjoyed the last Idle Thumbs podcast, but the conversation on media literacy was a little disconcerting. Needing some level of subjective "understanding" to responsibly enjoy media just makes me immediately jump to conclusions of censorship. I understand that the crew weren't advocating that at all, but the conversation did come off a bit elitist to me. The Archie Bunker question is an interesting concept, but I'm of the belief that people who identify with characters or ideals contrary to the intent of the authors would find validation one way or the other. At least the media exists to possibly change the mind of some who haven't put much thought in their belief systems already. The die hards aren't likely to change their opinions due to a tv show or a video game anyway. If the author feels like his work is detrimental to message they are trying to convey, they are free to walk away from it, just as Dave Chappelle did.

I listened to the latest Thumbs ep the other day, and I'm surprised about the disproportional amount of heat Danielle Riendeau received for not being 100% on-board the "South Park is hilarious" train. I thought that the discussion about media literacy was pretty spot on because a lot of people don't know the sausage-esque making process that content creators go through to make consumable media.

These are somewhat extreme examples, but there is a definitely nonzero number of people out there who think that Stephen Colbert is not putting on a schtick and there is a website dedicated solely to people taking Onion stories as being literal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I go to sleep and wake up to this? Guys, you didn't have to... :unsmith:

Outside of the episode, I was fairly upset at the reaction that Danielle received versus what she said, it was inversely proportional to the content of what she said. Saying things such as "I'm a feminist", "I used to like South Park, but I can't say I do now", and "I'll give it a shot since you seem to be really into it" really shouldn't bring out the awful side of white dudes on the internet. It's really bizarre for me because I would figure that Idle Thumbs is fairly off the beaten path when it comes to the entire video game scene and I would like to think that there wouldn't be a redditesque backlash on the Idle Thumbs' forums, but it's just more fodder for the People Who Identify As "Gamers" Are Awful Human Beings pile.

Carolyn Petit having the audacity to give GTA5 a 9/10 seems like a pretty decent analogue to Danielle Riendeau saying "I'm lukewarm on South Park".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This week's Thumbs was super good.

I liked the internet friendships reader mail because I've followed a really similar arc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
President Obama attending a demo with Asimo is going to make some amazing robot news for Idle Thumbs next week. :allears:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dadjacket posted:

Bob Mackey I love you forever but sometimes I feel like the episodes of Retronauts that you host are solo casts because you keep to such a tight schedule and have so much information to get out yourself! You can relax and go off topic sometimes!

Love always, Mandy.

I was weirded out the other day when I was at the gym. I was listening to Retronauts and then reading one of his posts in D&D.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Song For The Deaf posted:

It would be a backdoor pilot for a "talkin' 'bout music" 'cast.

Relevant to Thumbs chat, I managed to work "An ancient evil has awakened" into a script that I wrote for a video at my day job. It totally got into the final product. The little games we play.

Sounds like a super interesting script.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are there nerds actually going "um, excuse me, the authentic cap is an actual item" in here?

Way to miss the forest for the trees.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think that the pre-order bonus on Steam for Watch Underscore Dogs should be an Authentic Aiden's Iconic Cap for TF2.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, gonna be a pedantic rear end for a second but it sounds like you're coming off that Japanese television is a the sole source of Japanese culture.

I know this isn't your intention.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Al! posted:

Oh man if you want to talk about Japanese TV that stuff is for real monsters.

Don't be talkin' smack about kaiju culture. :krakken:

I'm only about half way into this week's Thumbs, why can't you have Danielle on every week? Would it be... Problematic?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh my goodness, I would play the gently caress out of Wake Up Sheeple.

And so would most of D&D.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Homestuck is the Dark Souls of webcomics, some people just don't get it.

You have to give it 10 hours, is poorly documented unless if you have outside help, and everyone won't shut up about it?

:iiaca:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If there is one speed run you ever watch, make it the Super Metroid 4 way race from this January's AGDQ. I'll post the link when I get home, but it is 45 minutes of loving insanity and beautiful curating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0fEc2PeSI

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 28, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can't wait to listen to this one, good thing I have a 2 hour drive coming up on Friday. :D

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idle Thumbs started doing advertisements so that they could scoop Danielle from Polygon and hire her on as a permanent host on Thumbs, right? What did you do with all of the Kickstarter money? WE DEMAND ANSWERS as to why Danielle isn't always on Thumbs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Two weeks of Thumbs with Danielle Rose Reindeau? :swoon:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This week's Thumbs: :allears:

Ethnic Breckon's Wii U story is gold.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't believe that they sat on this week's Thumbs for an entire year. :v:

(Sean said it's July 9th, 2013)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Funkmaster General posted:

So I read the description of this week's bombcast and now I... kinda don't want to listen to it. Can someone confirm that its okay and not 100% SJW stuff (for lack of a better term)? I can't find a way to really say this without sounding like a bad person, but I'm really tired of that discussion right now and just want yo hear some people talking about video games.

E: To be clear, a female guest is a welcome change, but a guest there to specifically discuss GaymerX sounds like it may open a can of worms.

Die cis scum.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only pronunciation chat that's allowed in this thread is Danielle Reindeau's Rhode Island accent.

FUCKIN' CASE CLOSED.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cronox2 posted:

I really hope there's a happy ending to the "Alex opens a retro gaming bar" saga on No More Whoppers because I feel so bad for laughing at his Japanese bank stories this week.

I think I'm going to wind up maiming myself one day at the gym while listening to No More Whoppers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Says the guy who live broadcasted him sex chatting up someone who wasn't his wife over gchat. (I think it was his producer, iirc)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Milkman posted:

Still the best thing he's ever done.

Eh..

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So I just listened to last week's Retronauts, and if I'm piecing this together correctly... both Retronauts and Watch Out For Fireballs invoked Robin Williams? Spooky.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've thought about it a bit, and I really like the last two episodes of Retronauts. Getting meta and talking about a show that deals with games is whatever, but the raw nostalgia and unadulterated enthusiasm for games is definitely a strong parallel to make on the season finisher.

That and Ray is technically the US Ambassador of Game Center CX. (rip ray :( im gonna miss you on Retronauts every week)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sponsor an episode of Thumbs. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was looking for the Gamers.txt thread since I was bored the other day, and it was in the gas chamber. @fart was retweeting her stuff and basically just posting stuff like "and this is why gamers are the worst". I put two and two together.

It's happened in this thread before, but apparently treating women, or minorities in general, like people is a loving bridge too far for a nonzero number of people who identify as "gamers".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Beard Yawn posted:

I can't believe Danielle didn't make it onto that image. I would be offended if I were her.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing or making an edit and include the Thumbs crew (but with their portraits that were sent to them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VDay posted:

I love the part about being censored. Who will dare to speak on behalf of the straight white male? I mean all we have is twitter, tumblr, facebook, youtube, and twitch to broadcast our stupid loving opinions. It's basically the Soviet Union all over again.

lmbo

• Locked thread