Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Star Control 2 would be rad as heck. Admittedly it loses a little something after the first play through, but it's still one of the coolest space games out there. I actually just finished a replay recently, maybe I should write down my thoughts just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

TetsuoTW posted:

e2: Was just looking at Wikipedia and there is a whole section on Idle Thumbs' page entitled "Dishonored Return of Nick Breckon"

This makes me want a serious-themed, vaguely Thumbs-related game where the chapters are all taken from Idle Thumbs episode titles. "The Death of Nick Breckon" "Remember the Airfield" and "Jeff 'Gone' Goldblum" would all make great stories that would surely make the audience cry.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
It reminds me of how the Ghost of Nick Breckon still haunts the Dotato Day intro. Classic Thumb move!

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
You know, I was on the fence, but then Gary breaking it down Slater-style had me convinced. I guess I'm 3/3 on regularly giving money to people who make podcasts I enjoy now. Suck it, advertisement guys who say people won't pay for podcasts!

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Tempo 119 posted:

Didn't Microsoft put something in their Xbone announcement press packs dictating how the name should be abbreviated? They expected everyone to call it "The One".

Not especially relevant, but I can't miss an opportunity to repost this.

What a weird thing Microsoft Games has become.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I kind of forgot about The Pitch, but I remember the one about corporate strategy was fantastic. I gotta finish off the rest of those some day.

e: Oops, that was Pilot Season. Still good though.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Every other podcast I listen to pronounces the G, leave us Jif people alone. <:mad:>

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Captain Novolin posted:

I go to the website and download each mp3 individually :saddowns:

I was gonna post about how I was a dinosaur, but all these kids started dropping their hip podblast lingo and scared me off.

I like to look at the pretty pictures. :(

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

The Milkman posted:

Chris' scream at 'Silent HillS' was the best

I thought it was cool. I was sad when the thumbs pooped on it. :( Although I thought the Phantom Pain title reveal was cool also. I guess I'm just a sucker for Kojima?

It really would have been rotten if it was Silent Hill5, though.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Sober posted:

:airquote: totally reasonable demands :airquote:

Oh, Christ.

Perhaps the better solution to this is to stop hailing to video game websites to justify the purchase of your favorite call of duty or whatever.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Chris Remo posted:

Back in the early days of Idle Thumbs, I used to edit the podcasts a lot more heavily than I do now. At this point I basically chop out a break, crop it to the beginning and the end, bookend it with some dumb garbage if something funny is available, and that's it. There are times I miss doing elaborate or experimental things with the editing, but the amount of time it took just becomes untenable when it's added on top of all the other things you have to do in a day. It starts to make it all feel like a chore, which is dangerous when the thing in question isn't your actual job.

Salacious Thumb is still one of my favorite episodes. :)

"I hear you play as Master Chief in this halo game." "Uhhhh..."

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Here's some WOFF Love: You guys got me to start playing through Suikoden 2 and it is rad as heck. I'm rolling with my dog bro as often as I can. (However, that did make Greenhill kind of confusing at times)

And Metroid Prime is a great game how dare you, how dare you.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I dunno, I felt like they spent plenty of time wringing their hands and warning first-time viewers not to ruin the show. But maybe later when they don't have so much to say about the Spoiler Zone they could use a music bumper or something.

Also Chris said Spoiler Zone once and I totally dig the name now.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Especially on the Fivers, I definitely felt like there were a lot of moments where they all have a 2 minute circle of laughs, while I just sat there stonefaced. I guess this is what IT's critics in 2008 felt like.

I'll be a Nick Breckon fan till I die, though. Keep forcing that guy to podcast/assassinate babies.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The keyboard is as much a part of the podcasts as Gary's cat. Both are good.

I forgot about the ongoing discussion and thought you were talking about the musical instrument.

Miss you, "Dictionary!" guy.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I wanted to vote Musashi, but I was afraid Gary & Kole would hate it and tear my memories to shreds. Time to batton down the hatches, I guess!

But I -HATE- studyin'.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Personally I find the Robot hate speech on Idle Thumbs despicable. When the next epoch begins, you guys will regret the podcasts badmouthing the cheetah robot.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Aww hell yeah. SCII is timeless, aside from a couple strange racial stereotypes. And it's free! I can't wait to play through it again. Do not forget to enjoy the sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Osmosisch posted:

Oh man, hearing that Star Control 2 is coming up just put the biggest grin on my face. And Zack on as well, that's a double whammy.
Hell yeah. Zack's actually the person who got me to play SC2 when he would rave about it on the old Kingdom of Loathing podcasts. I'm glad I gave it a shot. I'm sure if I had played it as a kid I would have gone nuts visiting every world trying to find every little thing in the game. I just love the idea of games with hard time limits (Two of them, even!). Even discovering things to extend that limit felt amazing. I remember leaving the game running just to see what would happen at the bad ending, and it was strangely horrifying. Seeing the whole galaxy that I had come to know well, full of colors and life, getting trampled over was a shock. Nothing but cold space left until the screen just fades to black. I dunno why, but it was disturbing in a way that 99% of games cannot pull off. The only thing that comes close is the time I played so much Doom, that I would start seeing demons in the darkness of my house and getting freaked out (and I am not afraid of the dark usually!).

• Locked thread