Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Combat Lobster posted:

If anyone is curious about the Playstation version look no further then its title screen:

Oh god Mickey please don't hurt me :gonk:

This was also the cover art for the PSX version. I guess they were trying to make Mickey seem cooler and edgier and such for the PSX audience, but even as a kid I thought this cover was just silly.

As for the game itself, I played the SNES version a lot when I was a kid. I liked it, but never even got close to finishing it because it got balls hard very fast and I suck at platformers. I got the Mega Drive version last year, and this game certainly hasn't gotten any easier (nor have I gotten much better at platform games) over the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Killrrhubarb posted:

The PS version of Steamboat Willie for those interested. As far as I can tell the sprites are a little different. Look at that awesome ducking animation!
Oh hey, I didn't remember Psygnosis was involved with this version.

Also love how the title/copyright screen reads "(c) 1995 PYGNOSIS" :downs:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

gently caress this level. :gonk: I'm pretty sure I never made it past this point myself, my friend did somehow manage to get all the way to the final level though.

It would be quite nice if each update included a youtube link to the relevant cartoon, although I suppose we can always look them up ourselves as well. In any case, here's The Mad Doctor (1933).

edit: I guess it might technically be :filez: to have the links to the full cartoons even if it's just Youtube, so I'll remove the Steamboat Willie link for now just to be safe. The Mad Doctor is apparently in public domain so that should be okay.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 4, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Anime Reference posted:

Steamboat Willie has been put on Youtube by Disney themselves. Quality's not great but I have no idea if there's a better version out there somewhere (it is 85 years old, after all.)
I think that's the link I originally posted and decided to take down for some reason even though I knew it was an official upload. :downs:

I've never actually seen these old cartoons until now, and holy poo poo Mickey used to be an enormous rear end in a top hat. :stare:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Watching the Mickey's Speedway USA video. Man, I had completely forgotten Rare made this, probably for a reason because it does look incredibly mediocre in every way. And of course it has to be balls hard, it wouldn't be a proper Rare game without the unnecessary frustration.

Also, why is everything so pixelated? On the N64 you'd always get your lovely 90s textures in the blurry variety whereas PSX and Saturn had giant pixels everywhere, and this just looks like you're playing a PSX game. Is the emulator's texture filtering turned off, or does the game actually look like this? Don't worry, I'm not asking you to rerecord anything even if there is something going on with the emulator, I'm just wondering why it looks so harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I looked up some youtube videos of the game, and judging from those the textures are supposed to have the usual blurry N64 look, no huge-rear end pixels all over the place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mYAEvVNu4

Playing around with the graphics settings on the emulator might help. Obviously, the game is running at a higher resolution and everything will look sharper when you're using emulation, but the N64's texture filtering shouldn't get disabled even at stupid high resolutions.

• Locked thread