Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Mercantilist Faction is also back in business.

Then, as for the questions currently posed: Destroy Amalfi (a title with no lands attached to it is more trouble than it's worth), and make Meletios the heir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

AJ_Impy posted:

Maintain Both Titles, but switch their names so that we remain the Republic of Amalfi but retain De Jure Control over Salerno.

You can do this outside console commands? How?

Or do you mean "make Amalfi your primary title"?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TravelLog posted:

You can do this outside console commands? How?

Or do you mean "make Amalfi your primary title"?

By using this, I presume. But Jimmy4400nav doesn't have that DLC, as you can tell from the screenshots.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

By using this, I presume. But Jimmy4400nav doesn't have that DLC, as you can tell from the screenshots.

Ah that answers that then. AJ, don't you think that's a bit meta for a legislature session though?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

TravelLog posted:

Ah that answers that then. AJ, don't you think that's a bit meta for a legislature session though?

When presented with a dichotomy, I like picking option three. It seemed an elegant solution to the choice of renounce our original title or suffer a century of de jure shift.

Edit: the thought occurs that the next uncontrolled Doge will just recreate the Salerno title anyway.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Edit: the thought occurs that the next uncontrolled Doge will just recreate the Salerno title anyway.

Uggh. The Doge comes before the reconvened Senate:

"You're a loose cannon Vittorio! Hand in your amulet and dagger, and get out of my office! You're done in this Republic!"

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

How such a man came to this noble position I'll never know, though I suspect it had something to do with Imperial scheming in matters of the faith.

Admittedly I am merely a faithful backbencher, but my Doge: have you considered what benefits may be reaped for the Orthodox faith should a craven possessed imbecilic wicked priest suddenly have their stay in the patriarchal throne cut short?

To me it seems like an incredible defense of the faith to ensure that no more damage may be done to the Church.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

Admittedly I am merely a faithful backbencher,

Valar Morghulis. All men are equal before death. There are no backbenchers in Partito Ombreggiato. Only people who submit more ideas or less ideas. In all seriousness, I am always open to proposals. The last two times I just made the calls because no one else really spoke up.

quote:

but my Doge: have you considered what benefits may be reaped for the Orthodox faith should a craven possessed imbecilic wicked priest suddenly have their stay in the patriarchal throne cut short?

To me it seems like an incredible defense of the faith to ensure that no more damage may be done to the Church.

This should definitely be on our agenda. Plus our August Doge is zealous enough for it to be absolutely in character. He is merely cleansing the church of a stain in need of removal.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TheMcD posted:

Sadly I do not have that DLC, I might get it one day, but as I'm currently living on a very shoestring budget for the next couple months, I'll probably have to wait on that sadly, otherwise AJ is right, that is a fairly elegant solution.

TravelLog posted:

Uggh. The Doge comes before the reconvened Senate:

"You're a loose cannon Vittorio! Hand in your amulet and dagger, and get out of my office! You're done in this Republic!"

The Pope/Patriarch/King/Emperor is gonna have my rear end for this!

MajikMissile
Nov 13, 2012
I would like to reform the Partito Afrika as it is a land of untapped resources.

As to the question at hand I agree with my colleague from the Mercantilist Faction.

TheMcD posted:

Then, as for the questions currently posed: Destroy Amalfi (a title with no lands attached to it is more trouble than it's worth), and make Meletios the heir.

The important thing is the family not necessarily what we call our home and I trust that the Doge can survive long enough to raise his son to manhood. If the Doge, his enemies, or God proves me wrong in this I may change my future votes accordingly, but the lad is handsome, full of potential, and seems to know enough to avoid drinking suspicious almond-scented drinks. Unlike some other candidates.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be rebuilt.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Partito Afrika is here to join the party.

Destroy the title of Amalfi and glorious Salvatore the Magnificent should be designated heir.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
:siren:SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!:siren:

The Partito Imperialista just set a wonderful gift my way, the Customization DLC, so now if people would like to vote for the option AJ_Impy presented, this is now a possibility!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

The Partito Imperialista, the Imperialist Faction, as ever stands loyal to you. Now, as with bold Alexander of old when presented with the Gordian Knot, let us make a decisive and unexpected move.

Maintain Both Titles, but switch their names so that we remain the Republic of Amalfi but retain De Jure Control over Salerno.

As to the heir, I am leery of Salvatore's cultural heritage as he considers himself more Langobardian than proper Sicilian Greek. Nonetheless, this is in case something untoward happens to you, and whilst your son is promising, he is underage for consideration as an electoral candidate. Thus, for the time being, Salvatore should remain your heir. When Meletios comes of age, I ask that you pose the question once more, that we may compare these candidates as men.

Great! I'm voting for this.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EDIT: I cannot read. Sorry.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 2, 2014

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

:siren:SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!:siren:

The Partito Imperialista just set a wonderful gift my way, the Customization DLC, so now if people would like to vote for the option AJ_Impy presented, this is now a possibility!

Bribery?! J'accuse, AJ! You will not undermine this August body with your corruption!

Why didn't I think of it first?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

TravelLog posted:

Bribery?! J'accuse, AJ! You will not undermine this August body with your corruption!

Why didn't I think of it first?

You should know better than to impugn a rival in this chamber, Signore Log! Everyone knows that our Doge is above and beyond any such calumny as taking filthy lucre for favours. I merely wish to invest in the glorious future of our nation! The Partito Imperialista favours bold and decisive action to the benefit of House Goonikos and the Republic, and we are willing to back our positions to the hilt.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

You should know better than to impugn a rival in this chamber, Signore Log! Everyone knows that our Doge is above and beyond any such calumny as taking filthy lucre for favours. I merely wish to invest in the glorious future of our nation! The Partito Imperialista favours bold and decisive action to the benefit of House Goonikos and the Republic, and we are willing to back our positions to the hilt.

You insult my honor, signore! I challenge you to a forums duel, the loser of which must vote in line with the winner for this next legislative session. If you accept, choose the specific format of our contest as per the Rules of Challenge!

Fine print: members of the loser's party can vote as they wish (since it isn't our place to decide other people's votes), but the loser can't propose legislation, he can only support the winner.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

TravelLog posted:

You insult my honor, signore! I challenge you to a forums duel, the loser of which must vote in line with the winner for this next legislative session. If you accept, choose the specific format of our contest as per the Rules of Challenge!

Fine print: members of the loser's party can vote as they wish (since it isn't our place to decide other people's votes), but the loser can't propose legislation, he can only support the winner.

Honour demands that I accept. I invite our fellow senators to set the terms: Whilst as the challenged party the choice of weapons falls to me, the nature of the challenge itself would give an unreasonable advantage were I to exploit that fully.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

While I will not withdraw my challenge, know that your honorable conduct has garnered my respect. Win or lose, I consider you a worthy man, deserving of the title Senator.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TravelLog posted:

AJ_Impy posted:

Honour demands that I accept. I invite our fellow senators to set the terms: Whilst as the challenged party the choice of weapons falls to me, the nature of the challenge itself would give an unreasonable advantage were I to exploit that fully.

SENATORS! It would appear that a challenge has been issued on the floor. While technically I have the power to end such a dispute, I know a thing or two about honor, and I know that it must always be preserved and protected! This is a precedence setting event senators, so choose the terms carefully for such a time it might arise again in the future!

:siren:HOW SHALL THE DUEL PROCEED?:siren:

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

I would like to say now that I join the Partito Ombreggiato.

It is my long-held and dearly-cherished belief that all duels should be settled in the format of a written rap battle, the winner of which shall be determined by the Doge. The challenger must begin, and a retort shall be offered by the challenged.

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.
Ah, the noble rap battle. A splendid choice.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

occipitallobe posted:

I would like to say now that I join the Partito Ombreggiato.

It is my long-held and dearly-cherished belief that all duels should be settled in the format of a written rap battle, the winner of which shall be determined by the Doge. The challenger must begin, and a retort shall be offered by the challenged.

I second my respected colleague's motion.

MajikMissile
Nov 13, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

While I would be happy if this were the course that the duel takes, I believe that there is an under representation of the true hero of our republic in the arts. To remedy this and resolve the duel, I propose that the duelists create artwork featuring Glitterhoof with the Doge to judge which senator captures his true majesty.

Blackunknown posted:

Partito Afrika is here to join the party.

Destroy the title of Amalfi and glorious Salvatore the Magnificent should be designated heir.

I'd also like to change my vote to coincide with the Partito Afrika founder.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be rebuilt.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I know that I am but a mere stripling youth when it comes to the duration of my time in the Senate, but it occurs to me that there is a solution to the problem of those accursed other families undoing our noble work: ending them all and replacing them with offshoots of our own House Goonikos.

What I propose is that we should marry our own into their lines, then systematically extinguish any who are not married to or descended from pure Goonikosian stock. Once the only survivors of a house are of our own lineage, they can take their rightful name and rule together with ourselves.

Of course, to avoid awkward questions from outsiders, the appearance of separate families must be maintained. Thus, they shall publicly take on names that differ from ours in minor ways, but that still reveal their true heritage to those with wit to know such things. I would propose "Goonistos", "Goonarios", "Goonasios" and "Goonarchos" for our cadet lines, but you gentlemen may well have other ideas.

And should any of those lines falter and be replaced by one with un-Goonic blood, they shall suffer the same fate as the present-day outsiders who dare consider themselves equal to those who inherit the name of "Goon".

...perhaps, in time, we might even seek to replace other bloodlines in Europe with our own. But for now, we must focus on cleansing our own fair Republic before we can actively spread the Goonikosian seed to distant lands.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Sandman posted:

I know that I am but a mere stripling youth when it comes to the duration of my time in the Senate, but it occurs to me that there is a solution to the problem of those accursed other families undoing our noble work: ending them all and replacing them with offshoots of our own House Goonikos.

What I propose is that we should marry our own into their lines, then systematically extinguish any who are not married to or descended from pure Goonikosian stock. Once the only survivors of a house are of our own lineage, they can take their rightful name and rule together with ourselves.

While I'm not opposed to doing such a move should the senate decree it, in general I do really want to avoid exterminating lines if I can (unless its for story reason, or like the last update, I didn't realize killing one dude would end his line), since it can get really easy to basically have a herd of 4 permanently rotating families you cull anytime one might have too much rank on you.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

While I'm not opposed to doing such a move should the senate decree it, in general I do really want to avoid exterminating lines if I can (unless its for story reason, or like the last update, I didn't realize killing one dude would end his line), since it can get really easy to basically have a herd of 4 permanently rotating families you cull anytime one might have too much rank on you.

Well, obviously once a family has been usurped from within by Goons (i.e. when they get renamed after the only surviving members are descended from a Goon in some way), we stop murdering them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I don't even believe this is possible within the confines of the game, since exterminated lines simply regenerate and the lineage thing is kept very rigid - you're either a Goonikos or you're one of the other families.

EDIT:

The Sandman posted:

Well, obviously once a family has been usurped from within by Goons (i.e. when they get renamed after the only surviving members are descended from a Goon in some way), we stop murdering them.

I guess that could work, but honestly, at the end of the day, I don't think it's worth the effort, because you're going to have to be marrying into a family for decades to centuries to reach that goal in any reasonable way - not just generating a new family with one guy, marrying one daughter to him and then calling that a goonified family, that would be too easy and wouldn't make sense in the way the game works.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 3, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Nova Roma party is taking its seat. I am very glad this doge sees reason in disallowing infidels. Although I'm not excited about the papists' inclusion.

We should remain Amalfi, additionally Meletios should be the heir

As to the senate challenge I agree, a rap battle is in order.

As bribery and corruption is a fine roman tradition I offer myself to defend AJ_Impy's honor if he wishes to have a stand-in

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 3, 2014

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
SENATORS! Based on your reccomendations, we will be going with this "rap" battle to determine the victor in this game of honor. Travellog and AJ-Impy, warm up your lyrical muscles and when you're ready, AJ as the person being challenged, you may fire the first salvo.

The duel will proceed as so, each man will send a verse at the other, for a maximum of five verses. Once five verses have been uttered, or one of the participants concedes, the match ends. If no one conceded, The Doge will determine the victor.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
As you decree, my Doge. If I may humbly request a beat?

Thank you.

What do you know of conduct and of senatorial honour?
Keep seeing insult where there is none and you'll end up a goner,
Skewered by the rapier blade of some hot-blooded young tyro
Or left dumbfounded by my words served up allegro con brio!
Partito Ombreggatio, all full of braggadocio,
so full of weaselly half-truths, noses longer than Pinnochio,
Affiliating in the shadows brings you only pain and strife,
Why not join a greater party? Imperialista for life!
You could have kept this to yourself, stuck to the code of Omertá
Instead you cried out on the senate floor, that can only hurt you,
You want to step up to me, the Republic's number one MC?
I'm the meanest senatorial orator in Amalfi!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Not bad, Senator. If I might request a beat of my own?

AJ, old boy, welcome to the Senate floor,
give MC Travel a minute and I'll show you the door.
Your rhymes are poor, miserable, debolé (just so you know, that's weak),
The future of Amalfi under your party? You better believe its incredibly bleak.
Knees weak, arms are heavy,
You even stole Glitterhoof's spaghetti!
There's no hope for a fool like you,
A Senator who can't even control his own motherfucking crew,
Bribery and corruption in the tradition of Ancient Rome?
Get out of here, go back to your "palatial" home,
Leave the floor to those of us with honor and wit,
Two things of which, AJ my man, you haven't even got a bit.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 3, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Call me a lumberjack, I'm going to cut this Log down to size,
and send him Travelling off somewhere with tears flowing from his eyes,
You call yourself a rapper? Your rhymes couldn't be any weaker,
Unless you somehow got even worse with rhythm and with meter.
Pack yourself off to a monastery where you can stand aloof,
And forever lament the day you besmirched the name 'Glitterhoof'.
You skulk and cower in the shadows, I stand boldly in the light,
The noisome stain of Ombreggatio is an unending blight.
Look at your policy! 'Everything and everyone can be stabbed!'
No honour, respect or morality, your soul is stained and scabbed.
Your future for Amalfi, a murderous and lawless vista,
falls pathetically short of Partito Imperialista!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

History needs its butchers as well as its shepherds, I've heard it said,
Your talk of the light won't do us good if we all end up dead.
So yeah, Valar Morghulis is a part of my Partito creed,
You'd understand the necessity, if you could see past your greed!
The truth of the matter is that all men must die,
So wouldn't you rather it first be some other guy?
You decry my dishonor and policy from your pristine white perch,
But what you've been missing is that an assassin has no name to besmirch.
I'll take all your taunts, your insults with pleasure,
When judging a killer, it's not his good name that you measure!
I'll wallow in muck so that y'all can stay clean,
So sit back, admire the fruits of our skein.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The murderer with no name who wallows in muck for an encore,
Did you forget that you were standing here upon the senate floor?
An assassin in the shadows is one thing, and you will agree,
but a blatant one in daylight out for everyone to see?
A political party with a manifesto of killing,
Is not in shadow when the senatorial bench is filling!
I know full well the soldier's art and have seen paid the Butcher's Bill,
And yes there is a time and place when even the best men may kill,
But if that is your proud defence then Senator Log may keep it,
Shout away to folk you might slay, 'Look at me, I kill in secret!'
Go ahead! Boast loudly, when each and every murder plot goes south,
Senators, we have the culprit! 'Tis TravelLog, the blabbermouth!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

I just had to leave my computer to be repaired :shepface: so please forgive any small errors as these will be from my phone for the next few days.

----------------------------------------
You question my trust in Senatorial silence,
But really, I think you're simply trying to start violence,
Why shouldn't I confide in this honorable body?
Your reasoning, I'm afraid, seems a little bit shoddy.
It isn't the senators from whom our actions we ought keep,
But instead the Sicilians, the Turks, all those whom we reap!
Your position shows your distrust, your paranoia, your pride,
I laugh at you AJ, your worth I deride!
You label me boastful, but my meaning you've missed,
It isn't about laurels, you piss-ant consanguinist,
It's about the future, about gold and about land,
Bow to us world, Amalfi's time is at hand!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ladies and gentlemen on the floor,
step aside, and end this bore!
Rambling aloud the entire time,
struggling to find just a decent rhyme!
The stanzas are shite, the rhyming ain't right,
I wonder if you killers ever learnt to write?
One murders in the dark, one murders in the light,
but when it comes to words you're all bark and no bite!
The rhythm really blows, it's nothing but the lows,
and honestly, my face turns purple like your clothes!

You talk about the glory, in conquest it is found,
but once you make a small mistake, you're dinner for the hound!
There is no glory to be found by wasting valued life,
especially when your plan gets hosed by some scum with a knife!
Money rules the world, dear boy, and sellswords are the key,
while you'll be found dead on the ground the living one is me!
The mode of wars, you, see, it changed, with money it is fought,
cause everybody's got a price, and you, my friend, got bought!

You talk about the stabbings, they solve our every fear,
and then you'll get some mail with your favorite spy's ear!
Men do not forget these things, and kills they seek to match,
and then the ones that die in droves will be your partners, natch!
My merchant friends don't seek to kill, they only seek some cash,
and guys like you, they think too fast and always act too rash!
It's mortal enemies that you will make and partners that we'll find,
you do not know with whom you mess and then it's your behind!

At the end of the day, I'm here to say:
The Mercantilists are here to stay,
the credo is, "In Gold We Trust",
you don't abide, you're in the dust.

Sorry, I just had to jump in myself, it seemed too much fun not to.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

:siren: Who dares disrupt the proceedings?! :siren:

Doge, what say you to this most uncouth behavior, this anarchy?

Real talk though: nice rhymes, yo

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TravelLog posted:

:siren: Who dares disrupt the proceedings?! :siren:

Doge, what say you to this most uncouth behavior, this anarchy?

Real talk though: nice rhymes, yo

We've already had more than five verses. Technically, the proceedings have already been interrupted by virtue of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
You trust all the senate, how laudable! how great! how naive.
Do you forget we just shut out those whom the heathen faiths believe?
Or if our rap battle had taken place within that last session,
Would those who cling to vile beliefs have learned a valuable lesson?
Our Doge, when we were called to serve, did consider simply saying 'Nope!'
To all those folks who sit with us but choose to venerate the Pope.
If future mandates we create would set us up against that man,
Then those who serve him heard your claim to mastermind the killing plan.
It is about the future, on that you and I can both agree,
But I'm aware that things can change, and that's the trap you do not see.
You are not fit to be the steward of our great Republic's fate,
Join with the Imperialists who want to make Amalfi great!

• Locked thread