Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Going Clear, which has been discussed a bit, is incredible. One of the most fascinating stories I have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

I don't think I would characterise The Economist as non-fiction.

The Economist is really good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Under the Banner of Heaven is intense.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

Does he interspace his story about a [youth idealist / climbing party] with chapters bragging about his own climbing experience only ultimately to decide that the subject of the book [deserved to starve to death / was not his fault]?

Wow you're too cool for John Krakauer, I'm so jealous

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm not able to get through The Looming Tower, Wright's book about Al-Qaeda and 9/11. However, Bryan Burrough's new book about 1970's American radical-leftist terrorism is incredibly good. Days of Rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just curious since I have a copy but haven't read it yet. Why?

It's incredibly well-researched and well written, but for two reasons. One, the situation in the middle east has changed so dramatically since it came out that it doesn't feel relevant anymore. Two, it doesn't have a lot of life to it. The authorial presence is very distant, and I never got a clear picture of the players as people. This might change when the FBI becomes more prominent, but I didn't make it that far. Now, maybe it's just unconscious bias against the Middle East and Arabs, and if so that's my problem and not the book's. But ultimately after 100 pages I just didn't care enough to keep going.

• Locked thread