Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I just finished The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant, which was a nice little tour of some major philosophers and thinkers throughout history. I did my undergrad in philosophy, so a lot of it was just a refresher on things I had already studied, but Durant is an engaging and very clear writer with a knack for breaking down complex ideas into digestible chunks, as well as explaining all the major objections to them afterwards. Not quite as thorough as Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy, but also a bit less complicated than some of Russell's connections-to-connections-to-connections can be, because Durant is treating mostly on individuals, rather than concentrating on schools of thought and their development into one another. A very good introduction to western philosophy. Both are, really.

And on that note, does anyone know if a comparable book exists for eastern philosophy? I've read Confucius, Buddha, and Lao Tzu, and then my reading jumped to Mao, D.T. Suzuki, and Alan Watts, and I'm sure there's more philosophers and thinkers I ought to know of in the intervening 3000 or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed what you're describing but I was also interested in the corporate intrigue dimension.

One of the classics of that genre is Barbarians at the Gate: the Fall of RJR Nabisco, by Bryan Burrough and John Helyar, which is all about the CEO of Nabisco attempting to buyout all the other shareholders, and the emergence of the leveraged buyout at a dominant corporate strategy.

It's a lot more gripping and interesting than that sounds.

• Locked thread