Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm currently going through an anthology, Who Should Be First? Feminists Speak Out on the 2008 Presidential Campaign. It's about the intersection of race and gender during the Democratic primary and Obama's election. I'm familiar with many of the arguments made so I'm treating it as a tine capsule and a rough way to see how attitudes towards them both changed over the course of the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm currently going through an anthology, Who Should Be First? Feminists Speak Out on the 2008 Presidential Campaign. It's about the intersection of race and gender during the Democratic primary and Obama's election. I'm familiar with many of the arguments made so I'm treating it as a tine capsule and a rough way to see how attitudes towards them both changed over the course of the primary.
I finished this. It was okay; if you're familiar at all with the climate of the election and the race and gender politics surrounding the Democratic primary it's not exactly a necessary read. Still interesting!

I also finished Native American Religious Identity: Unforgotten Gods edited by Jace Weaver, another anthology about the intersection of traditional Amerindian beliefs and Christianity. I liked it, although if you're not too familiar with native issues it might take a while to ease into it. Also, man, as an author Andrea Smith really gets around; she was in both of the anthologies I read. It makes sense if you're looking for a famous native feminist she's definitely top three, but still.

My next non-fiction book after I finish my current stuff is A Fish Caught in Time: The Search of the Coelacanth because I've had it for ages just collecting dust. :mad:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Might you have finished this yet? I have Keith Thompson's book on the coelacanth Living Fossil and was wondering about that one you mentioned
Yeah, I did, just haven't posted here in a while. :shobon:

It was a good book, but it's not really about the coelacanth but the people who 'discovered' it and such. If you have the time, I wouldn't say don't read it, but it won't blow your mind if you're already reading other books about coelacanths. :v: Then again, I'm no ichthyologist.

• Locked thread