Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
I have just read Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich, a book of interviews with people from Belarus who were effected by Chernobyl. The range of voices she portrays is pretty large, she talks with old returnees, regular people, high ranking scientists who worked at nuclear testing facilities, local party members and so on. I recommend it very much, it's a great if harrowing book.
Also, I enjoy the format of interview books a lot in general. Over the years I've read Vremia sekond hend (Second-hand Time, I think no English translation exists but there is a German one) by the same author about the collapse of the USSR, The Corpse Walker: Real Life Stories: China from the Bottom Up by Liao Yiwu where he interviews Chinese people on the low end of the social ladder and Underground by Haruki Murakami about the Sarin attacks on the Tokyo subway.
I found all of them excellent. For example Underground is my favourite Murakami and I was somewhat upset when I heard that they cut some interviews in the translated version. Now I am looking for more, any recommendations (it does not necessarily need to be about depressing things but good luck finding something that isn't)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread