Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waffleman_ posted:

Soul Eater NOT: Zorak mentioned on Anime Dissection that this might be good for people who enjoyed the setting of Soul Eater. Yo, setting of Soul Eater loving ROCKS let's slice some life with weapon buddies!

I'm not going to watch it but I hope it does really well and justifies Soul Eater: Brotherhood down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I was curious so I looked Mari Okada up. That sure is a list of badly-written, incoherent, rambling shows... but also The Woman Named Fujiko Mine. :raise:

Even a broken clock's right twice a day, I guess.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Look, I have a hard time forgiving anyone involved in the second season of Darker Than Black.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Whaaaaaaat?
Well, that's honestly a surprise. A welcome one to be sure, but drat, I didn't think that was in the cards at all.

Also 10 year anniversary. :psyduck: That makes me feel even older than normal.

Best news I've heard since "more Jojo's."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

aers posted:

I'm not sure it actually had keyframes to be honest.

It had four animation directors and five key animators. Think about that one for a bit.

Hey, at least they've got one guy they trust to work unsupervised! :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

aers posted:

Sanzigen, who did Arpeggio, have outright stated they made it low framerate to resemble non-CG anime.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Mercrom about animation, but yeah, that's retarded.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Edit: I haven't watched Elfen Lied so I can't make any judgement calls.

I have. Don't watch or read anything by that author.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

aers posted:

He was working 600 hours a month.

How is that even possible, that's 20 hours a day including weekends. Does he live in his office and just snatch 2-4 hours of sleep in the coffee room every night? :psyduck:

e: didn't see you say the same thing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

In news I never thought I'd hear(but are pretty psyched it's real), Masaaki Yuasa wrote, storyboarded and directed an upcoming ep of Adventure Time.

This may be no joke the best animation-related news I've ever heard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Dun dun dun DUN!

I thought his complaint was pretty stupid but I see I was mistaken. This was a missed opportunity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Congrats on your SUPERIOR ANIME TASTE you should get a medal or something. It is funny though I'll give you that, but I can feel the smug coming off of you.

Nothing better than smugness in a righteous cause. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's basically a question of which bothers you more: seeing something totally gross presented as such, or seeing it portrayed as normal and harmless.

I'm with Mercrom on this one.

edit: Although given how often people defend garbage by swearing up and down it's really the former I get where the other side is coming from even if I don't agree.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 25, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

But that's just the thing, it doesn't really feel like Enokido to me. Maybe a shallow, hollow imitation of him. Star Driver knew exactly what it was and had fun with the whole set-up for the most part, and I'm not getting that sense here at all.

That's kind of funny, because based on Star Driver "a shallow, hollow imitation" is exactly how I would describe Enokido, of Ikuhara. :shobon:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Penguin Drum was spectacular and far more interesting than Star Driver even with its flaws. I hope it gets an Adolescence of Utena-style capstone movie some day.

edit: Part of why I make that comparison is because Star Driver and Penguin Drum have very similar issues, namely a) only the main cast is emotionally engaging b) a villain who spends the whole show doing nothing and then folds at the slightest resistance c) side-plots that seem to have been thrown in just to fill up time and may or may not ever get a real resolution.

The difference is that in between those problems Penguin Drum is loaded with abstract symbolism and hysterically funny off-beat humor, while Star Driver has generic anime fanservice and weightless, repetitive robot battles. I came away from Penguin Drum a little perplexed but ready to rewatch it in case I missed something; Star Driver was just disappointing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 1, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Panty and Stocking basically threw out the original script and wrote new jokes that worked in English, and it's one of the only dubs in existence I'd vouch for. They made it into a new show at least as funny as the original.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chumbler posted:

Wasn't there some card game show that played itself totally straight and was horribly mediocre in Japan, but the dub was completely rewritten as a parody of card shows and was actually pretty funny?

Sounds like Duel Masters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ryuko is awful. Gamagoori and Satsuki sound alright by dub standards I guess but even if I were interested in seeing KLK again that'd be enough to change my mind. I didn't make it to anyone else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

edit: Nevermind, my cross-lingual pun identification skills are lacking.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Redcrimson posted:

Arguably the whole point is to avoid normal anime forum bullshit.

If that were true there would only be four, maybe five threads for shows this season.

• Locked thread