Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
There sure is a lot of shows for this season, unfortunately most don't seem too interesting to me. Looks like I'll be checking out the bolded shows in the list and then rely on this thread for any unexpected hits to turn up I guess.

Didn't think the Puchimas: Petite Idolmaster was popular enough to have a sequel. While I liked the 4-koma manga enough, the tv series was ordinary at best. I guess they must be making it as marketing to sell more of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

If you were a fan of the Kara no Kyoukai film series, the new film (Mirai Fukuin) was just released.

That movie is not bad, tad bit indulgent though. In many ways I thought they could have moved the story along a bit quicker and would have made the movie better even though it only clocks up to an hour and thirty minutes, which is about average for the series.

The first 3 movies are still the best in tone and pace. After that, while still good, it's a bit of a diminishing returns as the movies got longer and slower.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Fetucine posted:

The original epilogue was pretty bad in both book and film form so that's not really an accomplishment. I haven't watched Mirai Fukuin yet but I read the short story back when the film was announced and liked it, I have faith in ufotable to do well with source material that's at least decent.

It definitely has a good Kalafina song attached though. Alleluia :allears:

I thought the 7th film missed the mark very badly. It's also has the longest running time, which somewhat fits the fact it's based on the thickest chapter, and the movie really suffers from it. I really do think they mishandled the climax of the movie there and overall made the whole thing far too melodramatic than what was necessary.

Considering how exciting and to the point the first movie was, it really brought into contrast how much of a stilted stumbling mess the 7th movie is compared to it.

And yes, Alleluia is a great song and a darn good way to send the series off.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think it was more than that, though. If I'm remembering this correctly, I went into it not knowing anything about the source material or how it was altered and I still came away with the impression that something had gone horribly wrong somewhere. The whole thing seemed disjointed and I was struggling to work out why I should care about what was happening or anyone involved. I think the plant monster at the end literally came out of nowhere, too.

That could still be more of a script problem, I guess.

That chapter has always seem out of placed in context of all the other movies/chapters. It's definitely the lightest story compared to the dark and heavy themes of the others. Other than relating directly to Shiki towards the end, it's pretty much a side story to lighten up the mood before the finale chapter following it.

As for direction, I thought overall it was fine, nothing special or outstanding but that the climax of the movie was a bit fumbled. Perhaps it should have served as a signpost of what was to come in the 7th movie for me which was fumbled as well.

a kitten posted:

That would be so cool, but the last I heard was something along the lines of "I'm done with their story and revisiting it doesn't interest me at all".

I would be absolutely fine with it happening though!

I'm sorry but it's now canon that Megaroad-01 and everyone in it were transported another galaxy. So unless it's about them there, the story with them is done. I believe this is published in the Macross Chronicles magazines or something.

Stumbling Block fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 26, 2014

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

I'll have to keep an eye on this. I'd definitely consider getting a train down.

Yeah, it seems to be remarkably low-profile given that the director is pretty popular and the trailer looks great.

It may have something to do with the fact Patema Inverted has an ok story, the setting aside. I was excited for it but when I came out of the theatre I just thought that "Yeah, that was ok." I don't know, maybe you'll get more out of it. Just turn your expectations down a little bit is all I'm saying.

• Locked thread