Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

XboxPants posted:

What non-Crunchyroll shows is everyone enjoying? Only one I'm currently following is Disk Wars.

Akuma no Riddle is my kind of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Chaika E2 was fun. Our protagonists being the straight-up bad guys ("World peace and no horrible evil empire? Nah. Boring.") and the male lead going all Jason Bourne on everyone was very enjoyable.

Very minor niggle, though - the character designs are slightly weird. All the guys have misplaced nostrils, giving them weird snoutfaces (the girls escape this by not having any nostrils). It's most obvious on Toru, but the others have it as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Every season there'll be shows like this that people claim to be watching in order to enjoy the 'trainwreck', when really, they unironically love this poo poo.

Ping Pong and Mushishi mean this is a better season than most already, though.

Also, Jojo is living up to the hype so far, which is impressive when you consider how massive that hype was after Parts 1 and 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I really liked the fight on the bridge in episode 2 of Chaika. The mc is skilled, but not overpowered. He simply outfought the guy without any special tricks, but even then it wasn't one-sided or easy. Also, a sword was actually used to cut a guy and being stabbed in the arm was a debilitating wound. Blades being dangerous but not essentially magic is incredibly rare in anime. The anti-tank rifle magic is dumb and slow, though.

I get the feeling that's the point with the magic - setting up a baseline where even basic effects are slow and clunky so that doing things the old-fashioned way is still handy and so it looks all the more impressive when someone starts breaking the rules, like how the starter villain accomplished fast magic by turning his house into a giant wand.

Of the stuff I'm watching this season, Jojo is still the same ol' David Production goodness with slightly more of a budget and is therefore amazing. Chaika is interestingly offbeat fantasy even if (a) the author apparently copy-pasted a good chunk of stuff from their previous work, Scrapped Princess, and (b) the lead did indeed feel like she was assembled from a nerdbait checklist, but those are relatively minor complaints when compared to the bizarre poo poo so many other shows this season are afflicted with, and I don't expect any further unpleasant surprises (the author was previously able to write actual family relationships in SP, so taking the incest route seems unlikely even if the male lead's sister is a bit odd about her brother). Captain Earth may end up as a trainwreck, but the team behind it has a solid track record and it looks beautiful. Akuma no Riddle is fun, unpretentious trash. Probably should give Ping Pong and TWISB a go, too (maybe Mushishi as well, but it may be a little slow for me, and there's that giant backlog to get through, too).

Most of the above shows have caveats, but they're fairly minor ones, the sorts of things you could find in Jojo if you poked hard enough. I can't say I'm watching anything at the moment that I feel I have to force myself through.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Damegane posted:

I really like feel of the combat in Chaika. There's that big guy with the 2-handed sword in episode 2 who actually kicked when his sword attacks weren't working, and followed up with using his size and strength advantage over the MC to grab him and toss him into the railing. People rely too much on their primary weapons in anime. Also, his sword attacks felt nice and weighty. They start slow, then when the swings go towards roughly where they are supposed to hit his target, more force gets put into it and it speeds the hell up.

Then there's the MC with his ninja wires. Grabbing pieces of the scenery to throw at his targets, tripping people and pouncing on them immediately, it all makes for very dynamic fighting. Again, characters in anime tend to rely too much on the "wail on enemy with weapon till he goes down" tactic so seeing the MC do all these tricks makes me very happy.

Also, a rare case of anime magic attacks not being a non-lethal explosion that just bruises the target and knocks him out.

I think my favourite bit was when our male lead gave his enemy the fragile, heavy, and all-important macguffin in the middle of the fight to distract him. And it worked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone up for making a Chaika thread? The buzz so far seems to be positive and the discussion lively enough to warrant it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Hella escapist fantasies can be p popular. See also: Sword Art Online.

And on the other side of the pond, Top Gun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

I find it amusing in that there are all these shows with explicit fanservice but I can't remember too many instances where character actually have sex. I think the only anime I watched last year where characters actually had sex is White Album 2. Granted though, I'm haven't watched too many of the heavy fanservice shows.

There was sex in KLK. It was completely :stonk: and we could totally have done without it, but it happened.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I'd make it myself, except that I suck at OPs. Go for it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I thought it was silly how the main character was a famous assassin who had never killed anyone and then continued to not kill people as the show went on. All of the other assassins were varying degrees of ruthless and bloodthirsty. Even the class rep was perfectly willing to kill in spite of her crippling incompetence. I have not seen the latest episode yet, though.

She's from a famous family. She herself is a rookie who's still having problems with the whole killing-people thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

aers posted:

If you want to know what Kancolle is, type the name of basically any major Japanese ship from WW2 into Google (not Google Images, just Google) and then laugh (or possibly cry).

Except Shimakaze, don't do Shimakaze.

'Lest you be put on an FBI watchlist'.

I feel that this is important information that you failed to specify.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

I'm surprised Nanana is before jojo's on that list.

Lot of very obvious nerdbait in that show. They know what their weird, shut-in fans like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jayisspecial posted:

What gets me is how much vitriol is thrown at the very scattered bits like that kiss while almost no outrage is directed at the unabashed cruelty they direct at a female character. They constantly brutalize her, strip her naked, and humilate her in various ways. I really enjoyed the game segments, but the degrading treatment is nearly nonstop in every episode. People love that. God forbid they slip in two seconds of a kiss though. That's just terrible.

I was under the impression that fell under your regular slapstick humour, though I haven't watched the show so I may be wrong here. Paedophilic incest is a bit further outside most people's comfort zones.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Baccano and Durarara also had decent pacing I think? Although Baccano was helped immensely by the fact that it told 3 vaguely connected stories simultaneously, rather than one after another.

I felt Durarara had a bit of a problem with an overabundance of buildup and a lack of bang at the end, though I'm not completely sure whether or not that's a pacing problem.

• Locked thread