Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The old ooc thread.
The Obsidian Portal site we never use.

The bracers in the cage are Quickhit Braces off Trier's wishlist.

You get 125 experience for the fight with the alchemical horror, bringing you to 1187 experience.

Oh, and don't forget: Helper rules us all. FRIENDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
150 experience for the fight with the dryad, bringing you to 1337 experience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Key of Faith is effectively an artifact ritual book.

Each of its numbers corresponds to a separate ritual (of any level); that ritual is chosen by its wielder at the time of the Key's use. By pressing a number, thinking of a ritual, and touching the key to a flat surface, the Key writes out the ritual as it would be stored in a ritual book, allowing for its use. However, the Key's magics make it so that mastering the ritual NOR the Ritual Caster feat are needed to cast the ritual; anyone reading the text may cast the ritual as long as they stay within sight of the ritual text. (Of course, any caster still needs to provide residuum or any other materials required.) You cannot master a ritual from the Key of Faith.

The Key of Faith can also perform the following functions:
-It purifies water by removing any poisons, pollution, blight, or odors. This process also turns alcohol into water.
-By leaving it touching cheese or bread during an extended rest, the cheese or bread is doubled. The new food is real, filling, and exactly as tasty as the old food.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
150 experience for the fight with the malagent, bringing you to 1487 experience.

On the malagent is 20 gp, a 100 gp art object (you could sell this for more if you go to the trouble of finding an interested collector in Neverwinter), and three vials of residuum, each containing 100gp worth of the material.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
pre:
Efrim							
HP: 18/30 (THP: )	AC:   17	Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 2/7 (V: 7)	For:  13	Passive Perception: 19
Initiative: +7		Ref:  16	Action Points: 0
Speed: 6		Will: 14			

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Melee Basic Attack	[ ] Running Slash	        [x] Sure Shot
Nimble Strike     	[ ] Knack for Success
Twin Strike   		[x] Two-Fanged Strike
Hunter's Quarry

Utility: 
[ ] Stalker's Mist
[ ] Second wind

Conditionals:
Prime Shot
If none of your allies are closer to the target than you are, you receive a +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls against that target

Tathlor	
HP: 15/15 (THP: )	AC:   15		Passive Perception: 21
Surges: 2/7 (V: 7)	For:  13
Initiative: +7		Ref:  13
Speed: 7		Will: 13			

At Will
Blinking Bite
Attack: 1d20+7 vs AC
Damage: 1d8 + 1, and teleport 2

Conditionals:
Blinking Pack, Aura 1
The blink dog or any ally in the aura can use a move action to teleport to another square in the aura

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Everyone receives 125 experience for completing the Fisher's Float, bringing you to 1612 experience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Neverwinter is a year old today! Yay us!

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

And Many More! :toot:

I'm loving it, Ariva. Can't wait to see what other crazy adventures you have in store for us. We'll be rivalling Blackbird Dreaming in no time!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The best game.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Arivia continues to be the most amazingly nice DM in the galaxy and suggested I reroll as a rogue.

This I have done.

pre:
Efrim							
HP: 35/35 (THP: )	AC:   17	Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 7/7 (V: 7)	For:  12	Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +5		Ref:  17	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6		Will: 12			

Deft Strike		[ ] Shadow Strike		[ ] Spinning Blade Leap
Gloaming Cut     	[ ] Twin Strike

Utility: 
[ ] Tumble
[ ] Second wind

Tathlor	
HP: 15/15 (THP: )	AC:   15		Passive Perception: 21
Surges: 2/7 (V: 7)	For:  13
Initiative: +7		Ref:  13
Speed: 7		Will: 13			

At Will
Blinking Bite
Attack: 1d20+7 vs AC
Damage: 1d8 + 1, and teleport 2

Conditionals:
Blinking Pack, Aura 1
The blink dog or any ally in the aura can use a move action to teleport to another square in the aura

Trier fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 20, 2014

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Going to be out for a couple of days. Regular posting will resume when I return and should be a lot more prompt than this last week! Thanks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Effective immediately, Trier has been removed from the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hello and welcome to applications for Arivia's 4e Neverwinter game! We just kicked a player out for some longstanding issues, and we need a replacement. Yes, this post is a lot of words - but Neverwinter has been around for just over a year (minus a break on my end due to sadbrains) and we’d really like to get someone who fits us and our game!

The role we are looking for a replacement for is ranged-ish striker-y person. (The closest thing the party has otherwise is a sha'ir controller, so there's not that much actual range going on; I won't be discounting melee-oriented applications but range would go in your favour!)

Before we get to the nitty-gritty of things, let's talk a little bit about what kind of game Neverwinter is. I was recently reading the 10 Rules of Party Optimization, and that breaks down a bunch of differences between 4e games and parties. For example:

Are rituals a part of play in Neverwinter?

For sure! I come from a 2e/3e/Pathfinder background, so I enjoy extra magics and possibilities and those sorts of things. Towards that end, the party now has an artifact to allow them to cast a number of rituals of their choice (dependent upon them providing materials and the applicable skills.) My job is to bring these elements into play without them being boring or a drain on fun. On a related note:

Are skills a part of play in Neverwinter?

Absolutely. This game has trended more towards the high-roleplaying, story based mold instead of just dungeons stuffed with monsters. I would bet that Tome (our cleric of Oghma) has probably made more knowledge checks than uses of encounter powers, to give you an idea of how the game has shaken out. So a character that can add new skills to the party is very valuable, and a character that has discounted skills for alpha-striking ability isn't the best fit.

Similarly, your ability to roleplay - and the strength of your character as a character, and not just a collection of stats - is really important. A new character should add something to the party dynamic and get us ALL excited to interact with your character on an interpersonal level, not just in combat rounds.

And here's the big one:

Is the setting important in Neverwinter?

Absolutely. A huge part of what I and my players enjoy is the efforts I've taken to work with and bring elements of the larger Realms into the Neverwinter campaign setting. There's a lot of hooks and concepts from other Realms products that I've brought into Neverwinter, and I've asked the same of my players. For example, AXE COP and Captain_Indigo literally wrote their tickets into the game by talking to me about how their characters’ deities were detailed, and then incorporating the details I passed on to them back into their characters. In Tome’s case, those details directly resulted in the current adventure the party is on! That’s why this poo poo is rad! I want to play around with this setting and get people excited about it and do cool things with it - and so far I’ve succeeded. I want to have more of that fun with you, the person joining us!

Speaking of fun, I asked a couple of the current players to describe the game in their words, and this is what they said: “something like: neverwinter is a cool campaign focused on exploring the established setting of neverwinter/the forgotten realms, and letting the players do cool poo poo in/to that setting" “and also water clocks.” “MUST LOVE THE CLOCK.”

(The PCs have a plot they’re working on to corner and rebuild Neverwinter’s old famous water-clock crafting industry.)

Because of this, I really really care about your character fitting the setting. You probably want to do a bit of research, and explore the Realms, and look at how what you want to play fits the game. The primary sources you want to work with - the ones you can know are correct - are the Neverwinter Campaign Setting and the Forgotten Realms Player Guide. But! If you can’t find something, if you don’t know the answer to a question, then please ask me. I’m always willing to answer about how kalashtar are integrated into the Realms (no) or how a pixie might fit (perhaps with the elves of Iliyanbruen in Neverwinter Wood?) Your engagement with the setting is going to affect your chances of getting in greatly.

To that end, here’s a list of suggested or starter names. You can play around with the sounds in these, but they’re a good idea for how the “feel” of Realms names works. Chondathan and Illuskan names are the primary human ethnicities around Neverwinter. Illuskan names are more common on the coast and north of Neverwinter; Chondathan names are more common in-land and south of Neverwinter, especially in Waterdeep.

Chondathan: Male: Darvin, Dorn, Evendur, Gorstag, Grim, Helm, Malark, Morn, Randal, Stedd. Female: Arveene, Esvele, Jhessail, Kerri, Lureene, Miri, Rowan, Shandri, Tessele. Surnames: Amblecrown, Buckman, Dundragon, Evenwood, Greycastle, Tallstag.
Illuskan: Male: Ander, Blath, Bran, Frath, Geth, Lander, Luth, Malcer, Stor, Taman, Urth. Female: Amafrey, Betha, Cefrey, Kethra, Mara, Olga, Silifrey, Westra. Surnames: Brightwood, Helder, Hornraven, Lackman, Stonar, Stormwind, Windrivver.
Halfing Male: Blazanar, Corkaury, Dalabrac, Halandar, Ombert, Thiraury, Wilimac
Halfling Female: Aloniira, Calathra, Deldiira, Melinden, Olpara, Rosinden
Halfling Surnames: Aumble, Bramblefoot, Dardragon, Hardingdale, Starnhap
Elf Male: Aravilar, Faelar, Nym, Orlpar, Respen, Rhistel, Saevel, Taeghen
Elf Female: Amra, Hacathra, Imizael, Jastra, Jhaumrithe, Talindra, Vestele
Elf Surnames: Amalith, Calaudra, Eveningfall, Laelithar, Moondown, Tarnruth
Dwarf Male: Barundar, Dorn, Joyin, Khondar, Storn, Thorik, Wulgar
Dwarf Female: Belmara, Dorna, Joylin, Kiira, Tace, Umil.
Dwarf Surnames: Bladebite, Crownshield, Gordrivver, Horn, Skulldark, Stoneshield
Drow Male: Alak, Ilmryn, Merinid, Pharaun, Rizzen, Tebryn
Drow Female: Akordia, Chalithra, Jhaelrnya, Nedylene, SiNafay, Vlondril
Drow Surname: Abaeir, Coloara, Glannath, Illistyn, Pharn, Seeraer, Vrinn, Xiltyn
Gnome Male: Burgell, Cormarr, Dorgan, Falrinn, Halbrinn, Orlamm, Rondell, Stolig
Gnome Female: Calanddra, Eriss, Iyiss, Jaree, Lissa, Meree, Nathee
Gnome Surname: Blackrock, Blimth, Greatorm, Rivenstone, Tavartarr, Uvarakk, Whitehorn

Before I start talking about character creation, let’s break down a couple of recommended steps as new players to get a handle on the game.

1) Read the entire in-character thread, located here. Because we’re so focused on story and characterization in Neverwinter, early posts are still quite important. Recurring characters, themes, dangers - all of these are good things to be involved with.
2) Get on IRC! The IRC channel for this game is #saneverwinter on synirc.net. We have a lot of fun hanging out in IRC, discussing things, talking strategy and just messing around - a new player should be a great person to talk with, too. (If you don’t know how to do IRC, check out the synirc.net page, they will get you set up.)
3) Do some further reading on the game. The FRPG and Neverwinter Campaign Setting are a good way to get a feel for things. I’m running a lot of stuff as printed out of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, so stay in the first two chapters or you’re going to spoil a bunch of things for yourself!

Okay, now let’s talk rules. You’re replacing a ranged-ish striker-y character in a group of six. The other characters (with links to their Orokos pages, if you want to check something in particular) are: Helper, the adorable warforged barbarian (sheet), Tome, the beleaguered gender-neutral warpriest of Oghma (sheet), Adrik, the stolid dwarf warden (sheet), Solgund, the patient paladin of Amaunator (sheet), and Dahhak, the evershifting genasi sha’ir (sheet). So there’s 2 straight defenders, a melee striker, a controller, and a leader.

Let’s talk feats. I originally started the group off very simply, and we agreed to add in the math-fix feats as necessary. Then I added two more feats as a semi-silly decision later: one teamwork feat for everyone, and one non-combat (or “fun”) feat. As it currently stands, a new character receives Melee Training, Furtive Signals (the teamwork feat everyone chose), and a fun feat - like Skill Training, Skill Focus, Inner Compass, or Wild Talent Master. A “fun” feat shouldn’t really affect you in combat, but is just a cool extra thing to have with some utility, a little extra thing to flesh out your character you might not be able to pick up otherwise. For the other math fixes, everyone will be receiving a free expertise feat at level 5, and Improved Defenses for free at level 9. You’re welcome to take those feats beforehand; if you do, when you would receive them as a bonus feat you will instead receive a bonus feat of your choice. Alternatively, some of the players received a fun minor wondrous item with no combat applications instead of a free feat; Helper has warforged headlights, for example. (The headlights being actually a Delver's Light. Similar ideas for minor items, or using existing ones, will be considered on a case by case basis by me.)

Furthermore, let’s discuss items. We additionally agreed to get away from wishlists and have fun with new or different items that players might not pick for themselves. What we settled on is that each player receives two guaranteed items of their choice per tier - that’s right, a wishlist of just 2 items = which I hand out whenever it fits the treasure parcels for a given level. In addition to those items, we use inherent bonuses (of course), and I hand-pick other items that I think are useful for your character when placing parcels. Players also have access to (but have never sought out for purchasing at) a magic item shop that sells common magic items (as detailed in Essentials) and other items on a DM’s choice basis. Basically, I’m not trying to make your life painful - but I am trying to integrate a little bit of mystique and excitement into new items. Everyone gets what is essential for their character, but can’t count on getting a complete set of best-in-slot items. The outgoing player had a wishlist item of level 5; so you’ll receive one yourself as part of character creation and then one wishlist item for heroic tier beyond that.

Here are the actual, fundamental details for character creation:

Level: 2nd
Ability Scores: Standard 22-point point buy
Race: I’m willing to entertain most races (except warforged, since we already have one with his own plotline going on.) The closer your race is to something already existing in the Realms (not a Dark Sun or Eberron race), the more likely you’ll be able to integrate it well. Helper was a surprise; don’t expect that you can convince me a mul fits the game just as well. If you’re looking for even more racial detail, the Neverwinter Campaign Setting contains specific subraces and backgrounds for many PHB/Essentials races.
Class: Any class that fits the type we’re looking for should be fine. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a straitjacketed ranged striker - a seeker is fine, a rogue with ranged/melee powers is fine. Just something with the ability to fight over a pit the rest of the party is lacking, and the preferable ability to fight well.
Theme: Again, test your theme for setting-appropriateness. Devoting yourself to the Raven Queen wouldn’t work well, since she doesn’t exist in the Forgotten Realms - a rebel against the Sorcerer-Kings would be about as bad. Feel free to reflavour or recharacterize that theme, but just throwing something against the wall that doesn’t fit will not get you picked. If you’d really like to increase your chances of getting in, the themes in Neverwinter would be an excellent way to integrate your character with the setting (however, Harper Agent and Son of Alagondar do not fit the current party well, and we already have two Heirs of Delzoun.) If you do not pick a theme or choose another background, only choose a background that provides skill options, not a Forgotten Realm Player’s Guide background or similar option.
Alignment: Lawful good, good, or unaligned. Part of the friction with the player you're replacing was an unwillingness to cooperate with the group and act as a party member instead of a lone wolf; don't play against others and keep in mind this is a game we all want to have fun in.
Feats: You receive Melee Training, Furtive Signals, and a “fun” feat of your choice for free. See above.
Inherent Bonuses: On.
Items: You receive standard starting gold (so 100 gp), and one magic item of your choice of 5th level or below. In addition, you may take up to two +1 magic weapons if your build necessitates them - these weapons may not be sold or traded, and are simply for various rules details (for example, how characters with throwing weapons specifically need magic weapons for their returning properties. Most characters shouldn’t need these, since you already have a +1 weapon due to inherent bonuses.)
Spellscars are fine. Dragonmarks are not.

Recruitment will stay open for one week (so until Tuesday, June 10th, at noon EST.) If you need to get in touch, I have PMs, you can ask in this thread, but please come to #saneverwinter!

Oh, one more thing. Neverwinter - when we’re around and in tune, when we’re really on - moves fast. You should be prepared to post at least once a day (and I do mean post, not just look at the thread and go I’ll post tomorrow.)

Applications will be decided by group vote - this is our game now, not just mine, and I want all us playing to find someone we’re looking forward to playing with.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 3, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Akordia of Kelemvor

"I used to serve the Spider Queen - that was...gods, has it been so long? That changed when those bastards of House Vrinn murdered my parents and turned them into abominations. I fled Menzoberranzan with my life, wandering the Underdark alone for weeks before I found a way to the surface.

I remember that day well. The sunlight was intolerable - I have grown used to it now - and I stumbled blindly through the High Forest for what seemed like an eternity, only realizing that it had not been years but hours when the sun finally set. Night was only a small comfort, though, as terrible things roam the forest in the dark. I was ambushed by wights, and would have died there, alone and afraid, had it not been for Kelemvor: a group of his undead hunters slew the beasts, and probably would have slain me too if I had not begged them for care and protection. I was alone and afraid - I needed guidance, a purpose. How very undrowlike." She chuckles.

"They took me back to their temple at Secomber to the south and fed and sheltered me. I learned about their faith, through small trickles at first by merely observing their rites and customs. I learned of Kelemvor's burning hatred of the undead. I formulated my revenge.

It never came to pass. I eventually settled here on the surface, was officially ordained a priestess of the church, and began my duties. I mostly worked in the temple performing funerary rites; it's tiring work and dealing with the families is always tough, but at least I can provide them some peace of mind. Occasionally I would go out with the paladins and cleanse the High Forest of its undead filth.

Eventually, I married an elven man named Saevel, a carpenter - the start of the happiest years of my life. We started a family together - little Rizzen was born ten years ago, sweet Amra six. We relocated to Neverwinter about a year ago after he took a job with the city's restoration efforts; as luck (or unluck, perhaps) would have it, a temple of Kelemvor had been established there, just on the edge of a supposedly haunted graveyard. There was - and is - plenty of work for both of us, and unfortunately, we don't have much time for each other these days. "

"Recently, I have been restless. A company of adventurers visited the temple not a week ago, bringing the body of a tiefling woman that we may lay her spirit to rest. One of their number was Neverwinter's famous metal man - I believe he is called Helper. Considering his reputation, we have no reason to believe he is malevolent, and yet...I am uneasy. I fear that he may be a soul that never found its way to the Fugue Plane, bound to a suit of armor by some foul necromancer. The Spellplague, perhaps.

I prayed to Kelemvor for guidance, and I received an answer, vague though it is: a spirit sent by the Judge himself. It never speaks, and it follows my orders to the letter, but I cannot ascertain its grand purpose. Whatever the case, I plan to act. I will seek the adventurers and request that I may observe the metal man for some time.

I am loathe to leave my family behind, but I feel that Kelemvor has called for my service, and I cannot deny him. I will leave in the morning."

---

Akordia is tall and slender with long, wavy silver hair and blue eyes; she typically wears the grey vestments of her church and carries a simple mace. She is usually even-tempered and kind, but her childhood memories and a buried, subconscious desire for revenge certainly haunt her, and she will occasionally act distant or depressed.

Marrying a surface elf has been something of a challenge - Saevel takes no small amount of abuse for his marrying a drow woman, and Akordia's relationship with her in-laws is strained at best and hostile more often than not.

After the arrival of her spiritual servant, rumors began to spread through New Neverwinter of a fearsome necromancer, a terrible witch who would send her spirits after you to take your soul. These rumors were started by and are mostly propagated by children, but they've begun to trickle up to adults as well. Naturally, none of these rumors are true.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 7, 2014

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Tarn, Half-orc Ranger Disgruntled Sailor
(Image subject to change if I find anything else, ignore the shield thing.)

"I used to be a sailor. More of a mercenary sailor, really; didn't have a set crew, just hopped on whatever ship would have me. Good with an axe, strong arms; that was enough for most of the captains. Waterdeep was my home, more or less, far as somebody like me can have one. The money paid for food, ale, and the occasional wench - and hey, that's enough. I ain't ever aspired to be rich or famous, I'm more practical than that. Whoever heard of a respected half-orc, anyway?

Then I took the mistake of taking work on a ship to Neverwinter. Yeah, I knew things were bad, but hey, what else is new? Things are bad everywhere. That was two months ago, now. My coin's running low because I've been stuck here ever since. With the bloody Fisher's Float looming over the harbor, nobody was looking to hire a half-orc. We don't need more bad luck, they say. What if he's a spy for the Many-Arrows, they whisper. Superstitious morons, all of 'em. I've never even seen a Many-Arrows! I prayed to Valkur to get me out of this hellhole, but even the Sailor God doesn't care for my kind it seems.

So gently caress the sailors and their superstitions. Heard those lot that cleaned out the Float weren't doing too bad for themselves - might see if they can find a good use for an axe-hand. Sure, I'm not so used to fighting on land compared to a deck, but it can't be that hard, right? Axe to the head will kill a highwayman just as well as a pirate. Though maybe I ought to keep my helmet on, afore they judge me on my teeth as opposed to my skill."

Wahad fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 5, 2014

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I'm thinking of putting a Masked Lord duder here, some sort of changeling and doing lore/fluff based on that.

Is Waterdeep/The Masked Lord theme's fluff a viable option or facet of the campaign? It talks about how the character needs the help of fellow adventurers/Neverember to finish their arc or whatever, so I just want to make sure I'm not wasting a bunch of time :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mardik Anskuld: the Testament of Mulhorand, Mulhorandi Revenant Mummy Vestige Pact Lock Dead God Aspirant
To know the truth of Mardik's life you must look back, back before Lord Neverember took the throne, back before the Spellplague ravaged the face of Toril, back before his death. In old Mulhorand, Mardik plied his long years as a historian and scribe in the temples of Horus-Re, he kept well the records of the wars against Unther and when at last his flesh began to fail him he rested sure in his knowledge that his heart would be found worthy. But when Mardik again opened his eyes he found himself not in Heliopolis at the side of Horus-Re, but in a tomb within Skuld, buried under the sands. His veins flowed again with blue light as the spellplague restored vitality to his age ravaged body. His screams were unheard, and his prayers to the Gods went unanswered, so over the many long nights he put his tireless flesh to the task of digging out of his own tomb.

When he finally reached the surface he found a land changed, sands turned to glass by sheets of blue fire. Mountains where before there were valleys. An entirely new continent where once their mighty foe Unther stood. And a city of corpses instead of the glorious capital of Skuld. Mulhorand was dead, and with it its gods. Those that had fled the devastation of the spellplague cursed and forgot about the gods, but Mardik could not. The long years of service to the gods was etched upon his soul, a soul now bound to his body by blue flame. If he did not forget the gods then some small fragment of them would remain alive in the world. And though he could not be sure of their will, Mardik took it upon himself to be their final lasting testament. So long as he existed, Mulhorand would endure.
When at last he returned to the Temple of Horus-Re, he found the libraries in tatters. Many books had been destroyed but the most valuable would have been in protective vaults. But the vaults were thrown open and laid bare. He scoured the temple and the greater city looking for some trace of what should have remained when he came across some tomb robbers stealing the wealth of Skuld. They attacked, thinking him some mindless undead, but he burned them to ash with blue flame. Looking through their belongings he found a map to Skuld from someplace called Neverwinter, and some of their belongings.

Mardik set out across the sands to follow them back to their homes, hoping to find some sign of the riches that had been stolen from his homeland. As he went he saw that the devastation was not limited to the borders of Mulhorand and Unther, though they had seen some of the worst of it. Fields of blue flame burned where lakes had once stood. Trees were twisted into profane shapes with red leaves. Entire homes lay upended in their foundations. As angry as he was, and as righteous as his cause was, he could not idly stand by and do nothing while others suffered. The dead of Mulhorand were dead, and the gods would live in his memory so long as his unlife continued. But these people were suffering now. He would get to Neverwinter eventually, he would get the justice that the fallen needed. But for now he would honor Mulhorand's memory by doing good in its name.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 7, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Sanel Nidea, scoundrel and swashbuckler extraordinaire!

Swashbuckler! Acrobat! Master thief! Cunning assassin! Mastermind of intrigue! Traveler across all of Faerun! Stealer of hearts - and lives, and valuables! These are all things used to describe Sanel Nidea!

When he's talking about himself. Other people are less generous. Lecher, lush, perpetual liar, two-bit pick pocket, scoundrel, thug, wastrel. "Decent scond-story man" if they're being generous. "Amazing scapegoat" if they're being honest.

In truth, Sanel is something along the lines of all of the above. The man has an undeniable lust for excitement where he can get it, and if he had it his way, his life WOULD be little more then death defying stunts, thrilling battles, and impossible burglaries, with downtimes spent in the finest festhalls and the most beautiful Sharessan or Sunites hanging onto his arms. In his mind, he sees the bards lining up to tell stories of his wit and charm, and riders of his exploits found in every great inn. Unfortunately for him, his life is far more a neverending series of escape capers and dutifully filling out paperwork.

Sanel was born a drow commoner of Menzoberranzan (no matter how often he claims to be of "proud noble heritage!"). Ending up in a Vhaeraun cult and a small time posse, Sanel found himself quickly learning all manner of acrobatics to pass the time along with his friends when they weren't face down, praying some priestess of the Spider Queen wasn't about to flay or sacrifice them. From there, many years later, Sanel found himself on the surface after a serious of unfortunate events involving Vhaeraun, Eilistraee, AND Mask, all of whom are now dead. He was found by a relatively minor member of Bregan D'aerthe and brought in as probationary journeyman. He has indeed traveled much of Faerun - serving as a small time spy, blending in with the various locals to impress himself as a local street tough willing to help out in any petty crimes and, unofficially, taking the blame for most of them (everyone always blames the drow). While useful to the mercenary band, Sanel has been chaffing for something more interesting and more grand, especially after that bit of business in Luskan.

He may have found it. Bregan D'aerthe has set its' sights on Neverwinter, and he, ever the loyal agent, been relocated there to blend in with the petty thief crowd. There's a lot of coin to be made in such a city trying to rebuild itself. And if anyone knows the profitable value of adventures, it's the drow mercenaries. On hearing of a new band of such beginning to make waves, a simple directive was put out to several of the lower ranked agents: find a group of adventurers. and integrate. Sanel had his break - he heard one such group had the goal of entering the old temple of Oghma shortly before an attempt on Neverember's life. Planning on beating them there to make a good impression, Sanel traveled by rooftop there, and leapt through a broken window into the holy house!

...And onto the brittle, brittle wood. The floor opened beneath him, he saw a few blue somethings moving towards him, and then everything was dark. It's been that way for awhile now. He's getting really hungry now. And thirsty. Still. It beats yet another day of doing nothing while looking "shady" as the actual team of ne'er-do-wells commit the crime. And "master adventurer!" makes for far better bragging rights then "part time distraction."

As it currently stands, Sanel is the very definition of small time. Still ranked as "probationary journeyman" by the Bregan D'aerthe, he doesn't know or see much of it's upper level leadership; he gets papers and directions and follows them. He's strongly loyal of the group for taking him in after the Eilistraee fiasco, but has yet to do much of interest for them. In spite of all his grandiose dreams, he's little more then a petty thief in his spare time, and while he has some measure of charm, he relies more on his exoticism more then actual charisma. Sanel has always been ambitious, but a little lazy; even when he was a simple peasant in Menzoberranzan, he and his crew would brag of all the amazing things they do in the future ("Conquer the surface!" "Create my own noble house!" "Tame the greatest demons!" "Become the greatest practitioner of the Art ever!"). Having not just one, but three different gods up and die on him, and taking in the Bregan D'aerthe view of the drow noble houses, he steers slightly towards the irreverent, mostly following Sharess in hopes She'll eventually grant him that life of comfort and ease, or at least bless him with an affordable festhall. He tries to stay witty in the face of danger, and physically seems more monkey then spider when he has a chance to show off his acrobatics. All in all, Sanel is full of surety and knows he'll be an exceptional adventurer - if he could just get the change to prove it.

Physically, Sanel is of medium height (for a drow) and wiry in build. His short white hair is often dyed red nearest the ends to match his eyes, a custom and habit from his Vhaeraunite days that he never really lost, though he claims there's more sentimental reasons beyond just that. When not very intentionally showing off that he is drow and undoubtedly up to no good as a distraction, he keeps a cloak (black on the inside, red on the outside) and a simple mask on to hide his heritage. He likes to keep his equipment close at hand; his rope is used as a belt, and his tools, gambling cheats, grappling hook, and mirror are all hidden throughout his otherwise plain leather armor, alongside a truly impressive number of knives of all shapes. Curiously, he has a bit of a thing for chocolate, and has, at least once, gone out of his way to join up with a crew planning to rob a noble houses or business just out of hopes they might have the confection.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 6, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Amnon

A crimson figure, dressed in once fine clothes now tattered and singed, sits at a bar and remembers. The figure remembers a young boy, confused, unsure, naive, being led into a room. A horrible room filled with sights no child should see, sights no man should see even. The boy was told this was his home. That he was a child of Asmodeus, a Prince of Hell. He didn't understand. Later he would suspect it was because he was a tiefling and that must be some sign to the Cultists of Asmodeus. Then again he had never heard anyone refer to Sakkora by any such titles. Sakkora. That was a bitter memory. For a time she was the only other tiefling the boy had known, and she was female of course, and he was a young boy. It was not really strange for him to be enamored of her. At least until he had gotten to know her. Such a cruel woman. Best to leave those thoughts behind.

No his thoughts return to the Cult. To the life there. To the things he was forced to do. To the decadence, the hedonistic pleasures, he was conditioned. But never far from his mind was the price of those pleasures. A child, a small boy, tiefling though he may be, used as a weapon. Used to kill, to maim, to inflict misery and pain. All before he even understood what he was doing. He was conditioned to like what he did, to seek power, to strive for domination, he was being groomed for great things. And he probably would still be with the Cult, doing terrible things without really understanding, if not for that one day.

Yes he was sent on a mission. He wasn't told all the details, frankly he didn't need to know the details to do the work that he was groomed for. But later he learned that a local lord had been making things difficult for the local cells of the Cult. And he was sent to deal with it. He was sent to kill the man, his family, and burn down his home. And he set out to do so. He needed to make certain that the lord was dead, and so he entered the manor, and began to kill any he came across until he came to the reading room. There he stopped for he heard laughter. Laughter unlike any he had heard before. Pure, innocent, free of malice or hatred. Full of love. He opened the door a crack and looked in and he saw it. The man he had come to kill, laughing and playing with his children, reading a book to them. Enjoying their presence and filled with love for his family, as they were filled with love for him. He was stunned at what he had seen. He did not understand. He had no one who loved him. The cultists? They tended to his every need, to his every wish and want. They plied him with hedonistic pleasures and molded him into a demonic entity. But they did not love him. They did not care for him. He was a symbol, a weapon, a thing to be controlled or a thing to fear. He felt alone, confused, and ashamed that he was going to take their happiness away. And he could not do it. He turned away, he left the cult and the life he had lived behind.

He had many things to think about. He had to reevaluate his entire life. And this led to him reevaluating Sakkora. He realized just how terrible a person she was. And he realized he did not particularly care for himself. He had done things that he was now ashamed of. He had been a monster. And it did not make things better that he had been ignorant and naive, that he didn't know any better. It was no excuse. Still he was naive in many ways, and he had never had to fend for himself, so the following years were hard. He had to go hungry more often than not. He was constantly chased by one cell or another of the Cult of Asmodeus, whether because they did not take abandoning the cult lightly, or for some other reason. His once fine clothes became tattered and threadworn, not to mention singed here and there.

Since he had departed the Cult of Asmodeus he has tried to find a way to live his life. He was not a good man, he knew that, but he did not want to be the monster that the Cult had tried to make him. Though it came so easily he fought it, he tried to make something of himself. But it is hard to find work if you have never worked a day in your life, if you have no idea how to do anything. And so he was forced to become a sellsword, a mercenary. It was in a way still killing people, but at least it was not innocent people who could not fight back. No it was bandits and enemy soldiers, and people who were prepared for kill or be killed. Still when he got the chance he sought the opportunity to become a hero, an adventurer, someone who might have a bit more reason to be proud.

And so he, Amnon, set out for Neverwinter. Or New Neverwinter. There he could sign a charter and become an official adventurer, a person seeking to improve the ravished Neverwinter. There he could put his abilities to use helping people. Of course now that he has entered Neverwinter he has heard rumors of a cell of the Cult of Asmodeus. And the description of a tiefling woman that sounds suspiciously like Sakkora. This is not likely to be a kind reunion, but Amnon is determined and will not let his past stop his future.

pre:
Amnon							
HP: 33/33 (THP: )	AC:   16	Passive Insight: 10
Surges: 9/9 (V: 8)	For:  14	Passive Perception: 10
Initiative: +1		Ref:  11	Action Points: 1
Speed: 6		Will: 18			

Elemental Bolt		[ ] Hellfire Heart
Ignition       		[ ] Infernal Wrath
                 	[ ] Elemental Escalation
                 	[ ] Shield of Flames																	

Conditionals:
Bloodhunt: I gain a +1 racial bonus to attacks against bloodied targets.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Grim Eventide

Work In Progress

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Imistele Laelithar
Moon Elven Storm Sorcerer and Iliyanbruen Guardian.

Imistele had been excited when the plans for the expedition had become reality. They were going to go to old Iliyanbruen. The land where her father's people had come from, where the oldest buildings of Sharandar had once stood. Before they had moved it all to the Feywild.

She didn't know of course, she'd never been out of the Feywild before. Her mother was one of the first few Moon Elves who had come from Faerûn into the Feywild after the Spellplague had made passing back and forth possible again. Imistele had been born here. Her father had been born here too.

Imistele considered herself a child of both worlds, and ever since she reached adulthood she'd had an urge to go explore that Other world. So, the expedition: resettle Iliyanbruen. Sure, it was abandoned and forgotten, but it would be exciting and full of new things.

According to her mother there were cities close to the wood - now called Neverwinter Wood. Neverwinter, and further north Luskan. Waterdeep to the south. All Human-built cities, but Imistele didn't care about that. They'd be cities full of new people, new things - port cities that would have food, clothing, tales and songs. She'd heard all of her mother's tales, she wanted new ones. She wanted to make her own stories.

Well, those hopes and dreams, those feelings of imminent discovery and wonder had been dashed on rocky coast of harsh reality. Iliyanbruen was in ruins, of course. Nobody had cared for it for so many years. But that was just the start - it had also been occupied by evil fey. Nothing new there either, really. Sharandar had always been in some skirmish or conflict with evil fey or the winter courts - this time it was just in Faerûn instead of back home.

After that it had gotten worse: Iliyanbruen had not simply been neglected, it had been ransacked, ravaged, desecrated. It didn't bother Imistele that much, but it infuriated her father's people. Talk of war had spread quickly. Some held they should simply form a penal mission and give anything not Eladrin the same treatment Iliyanbruen had suffered.

Others were calmer, in a way. But no less angry - they would "settle" for the eradication of those who perpetrated the destruction. Father held with them, he'd see justice done. Imistele thought him too much the warrior, unable to let go after spending most of his life in conflict in the Feywild.

Mother thought the best weapon was information, so she went to go to find it from some library fortress called Candlekeep. Together with a delegation of scholars, and carrying books written in the Feywild in trade. But the only thing to be found there would be books. Books and monks.

That was not what Imistele wanted. She hoped Neverwinter was where the answers could be found. It was not what she had expected from her mother's stories - her mother had not seen it ruined by the Spellplague. But it was rebuilding, sort of a mirror of what Iliyanbruen was doing. She'd settle there, it was the closest city to Neverwinter Wood. Someone or something here must have information on who was responsible. She had no desire to see Sharandar's armies wage war on Neverwinter, there was nothing to be gained from that.

In turn, there was so much to be gained in cooperation. Trade could flow, not simply between new Iliyanbruen and new Neverwinter. But between Faerûn and the Feywild. Between worlds.

She would settle here, be an ambassador for her people. Find out what happened to ancient Iliyanbruen. Mother wasn't wrong about information being the key. And it didn't take her long to hear about the ruined House of Knowledge.

Seeing it now though was a disappointment. It had been too good to be true to think the answer would simply be waiting for her here in a book. The House was ruined, moreso than she had thought, and no effort had been made to rebuild or conserve it, as far as she could see. Nor as far as the refugees here could tell her.

They had told her something else though. Pendulum's Blade was here, had arrived sometime earlier and disappeared deeper into the building. She'd heard about them. Hard not to, after the slaver affair. Pendulum's blade got into trouble, but they helped people out too. That was noble.

One of them was a Lorekeeper. Probably wouldn't know what she wanted to. But a Lorekeeper might know where to look for it. And if not, well... Pendulum's Blade helped people, and wasn't that why she'd come here? To make her own stories. To help people. This was an opportunity to do something. Might as well go and see if she could make introductions.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 9, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Prince Vijay, a Human Warlord on a mystical journey to fulfill his teacher's dying wish

(source)

One of the first ships to sail into Neverwinter after the trade routes had been reopened bore a noble passenger on a noble mission. Vijay, he youngest brother of a proud king in far-off Malatra, had crossed the wide world in search of a group of strangers, to lend them his aid and friendship.

His teacher, a holy sage wise in the ways of worship and war, had been blessed with a vision of how he might best serve Amaunator, but passed away before he could carry out his final labor, leaving Vijay to fulfill it in his honor. Among mortals, perhaps only the great guru himself understood the reason, but he intimated that he needed to help a group in Neverwinter who had undertaken the cause of building clocks. Amaunator is the god of time as well as the sun: the construction of timepieces, so that people may know the time even when the sun cannot be seen, is sacred to him, and by this sacred work Vijay would know his foreordained allies.

Although Vijay did not know the full extent of the mission that awaited him, he swore a solemn oath that he would not know the taste of wine nor the touch of his wife until he had completed it. Setting out, he decorated his great bow with the bones of his guru: thus the sage would fulfill his last labor personally, albeit aided by the strength of his pupil's arms.

And what strength it is! Not one man in a thousand can draw his weapon. At home, he is known as a mighty champion and a victorious captain, as bold and ferocious as a tiger. He's not a shining statesman like his brother the king, nor a brilliant strategist like his sister the general, but he's respected as a leader nevertheless, for he can read a battlefield like a book, and also tear it apart like a book.

He has never ventured so far beyond his own borders, and even more unfamiliar to him than the strange customs of these lands is the chaos that has fallen over them. It is only now, as he follows his duty into this den of wickedness, that he reflects on the blessings of his life. What has he gotten himself into? Still: his cause is just, his will is strong, and his bow is very, very large.

Vijay is a greatbow-wielding Warlord, a Leader although a Striker was asked for, on the theory that the best secondary Striker is any effect that makes the primary Striker attack more often.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just a note: applying with a second leader like BongoBill has with Vijay is perfectly fine for anyone thinking along the same lines.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Working on this:

Marassa Whitefang

A woman writes in a diary in the loft above her recently renamed bar in Neverwinter, The Bored Wauk. It's spelled The Boardwalk on the sign of course, the stern-faced gold plated statue of her favored goddess, the Golden Lady Waukeen, looking none too glad to be there is the only acknowledgement you'll get of the pun inside the place--shortening a Goddess's name is blasphemous, after all. What kind of place do you think this is? Better make an offering to smooth things over if you know what's good for you.

Tending now is a someone considerably brighter and more less likely to shake down her customers, even as a joke: Marassa's younger identical twin sister, recently of the same name, slinging drinks and smiles. A typical sunshine-y Lliiracist, she drew a lot of patrons who wanted to see the exotic beauty of Athkatla, and drink of their fruity Maztican inspired cocktails. Marassa, the firstborn, preferred to be seated at her desk than standing at the bar, and to deal with the real movers and shakers who were thirsty for the other kind of liquid: assets. Then again, she did enjoy slinging rowdy patrons into the street every once in a while when she needed to work the front of the house. "Not in Waukeen's bar," the bouncer'd tell them. You know drunks though: in one ear and out the other. If they kept making trouble, or if the price was right, then when she's off the job she'd sling a coin--or a stone, if they really weren't worth it--that took the same path as her warning. Well, that was only for grave offenses, usually she'd just make them "dance" with some rapid fire shots that guided the troublemaker face first into a pile of garbage. It might make them think, if they were sober enough to remember--textiles, songs, dances, and tasty cocktails weren't the only traditions that were passed down from her Maztican-Athkatlan ancestors.

There'd be none of that tonight, though, tonight she needed to lie low at least until enough people were around to see "her" seemingly working downstairs. Boring... It's a pain in the rear end--and teeth--to pretend to be the same person with someone so different, but half taxes and the free alibi makes it all worth it. Besides, Waukeen's holy coins had spoken, when both came up tails it meant whatever she was thinking of doing, the risk was too drat high. It's funny to Marassa, that the same artifact that fell right out of an uncut noble's purse back in the City of Coin--perhaps wanting to guide the destiny of a cursed lowborn for a change--now did nothing but warn her from doing anything exciting.

"Home" had been Athkatla, where she danced stole and fought, buying her freedom from lower tier criminals, saving up for her write of marque, becoming the somewhat freer employee of middle tier criminals, etc. It all started with busking: poi fireballs, trick shots with the sling, low ranking Shadow Thief pickpockets in the crowd on the take. It was good training, but not good money, and everyone treated you like poo poo for having orc blood. The wisdom of the little sister was if you wanted to move up you needed to look good--filed down tusks, the perfect weave, subtle makeup--so much that someone wanted to buy you. Then you had a shot at the big leagues. Maybe you bait and switch, they buy the wrong sister (who had to endure the same "beautification" process), the wrong sister secretly rips you off, and then, lo, she ends up being "wanted" by the Shadow Thieves who force you to sell her to them at a loss and pretend you never saw her before. That's how the Whitefangs made it, they just needed to fake one of their deaths.

Then some really good luck and really bad luck coincided. You already heard of the good luck: a big heist and then those holy coins rolled into her life. The bad luck did more than balance the book though: Marassa spontaneously manifested a spellscar during a nightmare about the apocalyptic transposition of Abeir over Maztica over a hundred years ago, despite never being exposed to magic or monsters, the Cowled Wizards made sure enough of that. They also would have thrown her in Spellhold or worse if they found out about it after her old bar burned down--right before she bought it with her heist money at least--and she didn't need to consult the coins to know that the Shadow Thieves probably wouldn't have been too understanding about the property damage either. "Most expensive fair-weather friends money could rent," she muttered. So the sisters hit the road and started planning their long con for Neverwinter. The coins said it'd be a sure thing. The coins said a lot of things.

"The problem is, you aren't listening," a voice the same as her own comes from the door. drat twin and her mysterious telepathic connection, it was sharp enough without being improved by some magic fey candies they shared. At least Marassa's brought a good drink with her along with some good advice. "Maybe they didn't bring you here for you. Or your health. Maybe they brought you here for here. Neverwinter needs problem solvers to get it up and running again, you should be one of them."

"Trying to get rid of me, eh? What's in it for you?" teases the older sister.

"I want the bar all for myself," teases the younger, stealing a sip of the drink.

"Heh, I see. How long before it's renamed and there's a statue of Lliira behind the bar?"

"I wouldn't!"

"Course not, but you better have scouts watching for my return so you can switch the sign and statues back before I can see them."

"Deal. The Pendulum Blade were last seen--"

"--heading for the House of Knowledge. Intercepted the note and resealed it," said with a smile.

"I'll throw you out the window, impostor-thief! Now open it first so I don't have to waste money repairing the glass."

Marassa's bag hangs on the window sill, having been packed by her sister earlier. How thoughtful. Hugs are exchanged. "See you later," says the rogue as she defenestrates herself.

The younger sister closes the window, spins a chair around, and takes a seat at her new desk, but stands up with a start. Turns out the two Holy Coins of Waukeen had been slipped into her back pocket without her noticing. Marassa wouldn't be needing them.

Still making my way through the thread and campaign setting books, will revisit this when I finish each of them.

e; origin locked, name locked. Added a level 5 item, Raven of Tens, reskinned it to be holy coins of Waukeen.

e; Finished reading the thread, added some feel-good heartfelt goodbye and segue to meeting the party.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 9, 2014

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Branna of the Fenlands

An occasional sight in the city of Neverwinter where she tends to go in an effort to sell hides and the other various commodities she harvests in the nearby wilds, Branna manages to be a rather friendly and surprisingly cheerful young woman. Something of a rare commodity herself in these trying times.

Although she has never professed to be an adventurer, on more than one occasion adventure seems to have found her; and be it an encounter with undead in a half-sunken woodland ruin or just a straight-up skirmish with unscrupulous bandits along The High Road, she's always managed to fare well enough. To some, particularly her estranged kin, her success is rather surprising considering the nature of her birth.

Born into the Grey Wolf tribe of the Uthgardt barbarians, Branna was the younger of a pair of fraternal twins. Significantly smaller than her twin brother, Branna was thought a runt: small, weak, and better off dead. The tribal elders were convinced that such a child would not only be incapable of carrying her weight among the Grey Wolves if she were permitted to survive, but was also an affront to their namesake god. When tasked with ending his daughter's life, Branna's father accepted the duty but balked when carrying it out. Instead, he simply abandoned her in the woods to let nature take its course.

So when Tamm Mottstone, an aged druid who frequented the Wood in those days, stumbled across the mewling baby he made certain that nature did. It was he who gave Branna her name and at first, raising the orphan didn't seem all that difficult. The girl seemed predisposed towards the wilderness, and under the guidance of the elderly druid, many of the mysteries of nature became known to her. But a druid's temperance was not to be hers, the blood of her tribe burned too hot for such things, and Branna placed more focus on things like tracking and hunting than on preserving nature's balance. For much of her later youth she and her foster father butted heads, and when Branna's lycanthropic nature reared its head, Tamm finally understood.

From Tamm, Branna learned about the Grey Wolf tribe, of its curse (though she hardly thought of it as such, and even seemed to revel in it), and where they might be found. Against his advice, she approached them but was only met with hostility. Those she encountered (a band in which her father was a part, and who immediately knew who she was) handled it poorly, and in the ensuing flight, she adopted her wolf form to aid escape. This enraged the Grey Wolves even further, who sought to hunt her down but she proved too elusive. Her father pursued only half-heartedly, filled with a sense of pride. She had inherited the ability to transform, and she had survived all these years. His daughter, as it turned out, wasn't weak at all.

After the passing of her foster father, Branna struck out on her own, abandoning her forest home to mainly operate in the fens south of the Neverwinter Wood. But it simply wasn't in her nature to be alone, and soon she actively began seeking out other people, if only for occasional human contact. Neverwinter, home to a vast array of people from all walks, many she'd only thought were stories until she'd seen them with her own eyes, was an exciting place to visit, and these days selling goods there is always the perfect excuse to go!

bahamut fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 6, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
A couple people asked, so I thought I'd point it out - if you'd like to see the original recruitment post, archives are back! A link is in the very first post of this thread - enjoy!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

bahamut posted:

Branna of the Fenlands

An occasional sight in the city of Neverwinter where she tends to go in an effort to sell hides and the other various commodities she harvests in the nearby wilds, Branna manages to be a rather friendly and surprisingly cheerful young woman. Something of a rare commodity herself in these trying times.

Although she has never professed to be an adventurer, on more than one occasion adventure seems to have found her; and be it an encounter with undead in a half-sunken woodland ruin or just a straight-up skirmish with unscrupulous bandits along The High Road, she's always managed to fare well enough. To some, particularly her estranged kin, her success is rather surprising considering the nature of her birth.

Born into the Grey Wolf tribe of the Uthgardt barbarians, Branna was the younger of a pair of fraternal twins. Significantly smaller than her twin brother, Branna was thought a runt: small, weak, and better off dead. At the behest of the tribe elders who were convinced such a child was an affront to their god, Branna's father took the infant and abandoned her in the woods.

And now back to work. More progress shortly.

drat you, Bahamut! This is staggeringly close to the gormless backwoods elf idea I was working on, and probably better. Will have to work out something else.

Coward fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 6, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coward posted:

drat you, Bahamut! This is staggeringly close to the gormless backwoods elf idea I was working on. Will have to work out something else.
Everyone is having trouble with this, FYI - if it's the idea you like, roll with it. You might find some different details, write it better, give it a more appealing spin - it's only natural there will be overlap in such a focused recruitment, and your writing is the most important thing to get you in.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Arivia posted:

Everyone is having trouble with this, FYI - if it's the idea you like, roll with it. You might find some different details, write it better, give it a more appealing spin - it's only natural there will be overlap in such a focused recruitment, and your writing is the most important thing to get you in.

Oh, okay. Good point. Thank you, I'll go away and try and get something together tonight. What sort of bribes are acceptable?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
FR splatbooks and latex

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

FR splatbooks and latex

Specifically gift certificates for ateliers for the latter, tia.

Okay people want character reviews! Here I go:

Hashtags: Is House Vrinn a reference to something in particular? Neverwinter is to the west of the High Forest, a group of undead hunters in the High Forest would probably take you somewhere else first. Secomber or Loudwater to the south, maybe? Or Zelbross to the west. Who's Saevel - and is the baby yours?

Wahad: Not too much to say since we've talked before. Mercenary is less common a term than sellsword; you might want to think about how Tarn would have interacted with the Sellswords' Guild in Waterdeep - see the Astele/Malibar conversation at the hanging.

Kurieg: I am not a char op person at all, but do you only want to be able to use one of your feats per combat? Like you have one that plays off of your racial power and your other means you can't use that power that combat. If that's okay by you, just ignore me :P You might want to think about Mardik's last name - if he's mourning his dead homeland, would he also believe in the pride and place of his lost family? (I have sample Mulhorandi names if you want them.) Raurin is adjacent to Mulhorand, but far enough away that he wouldn't be buried there normally - is there a reason you mentioned that? You might look into what's now the Plains of Purple Dust, or Skuld's ruins. There's more than just wastes between Mulhorand and the Sword Coast - how did Mardik cross most of Faerun? Spell? Caravan? Did he meet anyone interesting along the way, see anything interesting? (Maybe other relics of the Spellplague's devastation?)

Cirno: I laughed at your intro. "Vhaeraun." Spider Queen is capitalized and two words; you still have an Akoyn in there. Its' sights, not it's. "New band" is enough in and of itself - adventurers are a cultural thing in the Realms, so you see direct references instead of qualifying ones. How are Sanel's relationships to the rest of the Bregan D'aerthe agents in Neverwinter - does he think of it as a cell with a leader, or is he a lone wolf? Oh, and much of Faerun, not much of the world - unless you've been hanging out with Vijay. I'd go back, particularly to the scenes in the Moonstone Mask, and think about how Sanel interacts with the Realms archetypes - does he spend time in festhalls with Sharessans? What does he think of bullyblades?

Ryuujin: I'm going to be honest. The first two paragraphs of your background make my stomach all squirmy like I'm reading the intro to a catpiss thread story. Tone it back a little bit and give me details on Amnon's context - where's this cult, when, and why? I feel like you didn't read the thread very much - or take in much of the Realms - before putting pen to paper; Amnon seems kind of just existing in a gray non-context before your mention of heading to Neverwinter. Is the cult in Waterdeep? Silverymoon or Luskan? Some place smaller? Think about where he's actually from and go from there. Additionally, tying your background in with a character who is literally done and dusted is a bit odd: it doesn't give us much to work with outside of maybe a trip to her grave, and it sets up an immediate value judgment from Amnon (odd name for this part of the Realms there) on the party, which isn't the best thing when you're joining an in-progress group. Think about what Cirno's done, for example - picked up another plot thread and laid it along what the party already has going on; Sanel has a concrete basis from where he's from and how that influenced who he is today; and his character is designed to fit in well with the group socially as they stand right now. This kind of feels more like an application for a game that is just starting.

NovaLion: Grim's a good name, I like that picture. A hybrid, eh? Coooool. I look forward to seeing your background! You might want to add Melee Training even if it's not actually going to do much for that once in a million time you end up needing to use your MBA.

Tzarnal: We have already talked, nothing new to say right now.

BongoBill: I like that picture! Vijay's a good name, I think - it's immediately recognizable as exotic without being confounding or tokenizing. I'm going to be honest that Archer Captain may not be the best feat in this game; if you're wielding a bow, most combats have been inside and roughly 20 by 20 at the largest, so there's not much opportunity for anything to be long range for you. Generally the Faerunian gods have different appearances in other areas (and even other regions of Faerun) - if you want to add more colour to Vijay, how might his own culture and context have created a different image of Amaunator? A six-limbed vengeful warrior queen akin to Kali, or maybe a blind seer who mouths the laws repeatedly, his palms endlessly bleeding healing lights. I think this is a really fun application.

slydingdoor: That is a sweet image! Does "Wauk" mean anything? If it's referring to Waukeen, abbreviating names like that is very casual and kind of disrespectful - like naming your head shop "the Holy Ghost," it's eye-raising and not something you'd do as a devoted worshiper, generally. Lliira is two ls and two is. I'd cut out the first line about Helm's Hold - that sort of thing isn't very well-known outside of Neverwinter, and it's also stepping on an ongoing plotline a bit. I think the general thrust of it, the fear and ostracizing, is very good - just reposition it as the Cowled Wizards of Athkatla, an overbearing priest of Torm, something like that. I really like this concept a lot - did you decide if she's from Akanul or Amn?

Bahamut: You look like you have one too many feats - 1 human, 2 levels, 3 house-ruled. The High Road doesn't capitalize the article - just "the High Road" in general. Does Branna have any friends or places she likes in Neverwinter itself? Where would she go in the city - where does she generally sell her wares?

Okay, that's my feedback for now :P

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 6, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Edited~

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arivia posted:

Kurieg: I am not a char op person at all, but do you only want to be able to use one of your feats per combat? Like you have one that plays off of your racial power and your other means you can't use that power that combat.
I was torn between Dragonborn and Tiefling for my past life race. Both give me the ability to add extra types to my reaping/blast, but the dragonborn feats (even the revenant dragonborn feats) require you to have a dragons breath and thus a dragon's breath type to use them. Tiefling would probably be the 'better' choice but i went for flavor over mechanics. I still might go back to tiefling if a mummy shooting fireballs isn't to egregious.

quote:

You might want to think about Mardik's last name - if he's mourning his dead homeland, would he also believe in the pride and place of his lost family? (I have sample Mulhorandi names if you want them.) Raurin is adjacent to Mulhorand, but far enough away that he wouldn't be buried there normally - is there a reason you mentioned that? You might look into what's now the Plains of Purple Dust, or Skuld's ruins.
Mulhorandi last names would be swell, and because the FR Wiki said that Raurin was a desert in Mulhorand :v:

quote:

There's more than just wastes between Mulhorand and the Sword Coast - how did Mardik cross most of Faerun? Spell? Caravan? Did he meet anyone interesting along the way, see anything interesting? (Maybe other relics of the Spellplague's devastation?)
Yeah he probably did but most of my knowledge of the forgotten realms comes from the NWN games and the Neverwinter MMO. I mean other than him probably getting waylayed in Thay for a while because red wizards are assholes.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Wait wait wait... This game has been running for 2 years and the PCs are level 2??? :psyduck:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

I was torn between Dragonborn and Tiefling for my past life race. Both give me the ability to add extra types to my reaping/blast, but the dragonborn feats (even the revenant dragonborn feats) require you to have a dragons breath and thus a dragon's breath type to use them. Tiefling would probably be the 'better' choice but i went for flavor over mechanics. I still might go back to tiefling if a mummy shooting fireballs isn't to egregious.

Mulhorandi last names would be swell, and because the FR Wiki said that Raurin was a desert in Mulhorand :v:

Yeah he probably did but most of my knowledge of the forgotten realms comes from the NWN games and the Neverwinter MMO. I mean other than him probably getting waylayed in Thay for a while because red wizards are assholes.

Tiefling would make more sense, since dragonborn didn't exist until after the Spellplague - the same event that killed his beloved pantheon. I'm not particularly chuffed either way, but if you're looking for a lore reason, that's the better one. And a mummy shooting fireballs is simply cool.

I think putting his tomb in Skuld would fit a LOT better, since that way he wakes up right in the middle of a city he remembers as thriving and loud - perhaps comparing his own experiences to Neverwinter's current ruinous state? Mulhorandi last names: Ankhalab, Anskuld, Fezim, Hahpet, Nathandem, Sepret, Uuthrakt.

Thay is actually east of Mulhorand, so the other direction. How about he just found a ritual scroll on the tomb robbers and used it to follow their path?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Wait wait wait... This game has been running for 2 years and the PCs are level 2??? :psyduck:

We are heading into our second year. There has already been a completed year of play. I'll admit that's slow, and I'm trying to speed it up a bit - part of that is my fault, because while I've been scrupulous about encounter math, I could have been better about setting up actual quests. In addition, there's a lot of political and social play - encounter encounter encounter this game isn't, so we've easily spent half of that time not really gathering xp, but still having fun. And finally, there was a multi-month gap due to my issues with sadbrains.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Arivia posted:

Bahamut: You look like you have one too many feats - 1 human, 2 levels, 3 house-ruled. The High Road doesn't capitalize the article - just "the High Road" in general. Does Branna have any friends or places she likes in Neverwinter itself? Where would she go in the city - where does she generally sell her wares?

On Feats: When you pointed that out I went back and had a look. Sure enough, there was a mysterious Quick Draw feat in there. I didn't select it, so I did some digging around and found the cause! Branna's ranger fighting style is Hunter Fighting Style (from Martial Power 2) is the culprit, granting Quick Draw to her as a free feat! (Many of the Ranger fighting styles seem to provide a free feat.)

Branna and Neverwinter

Branna has been visiting Neverwinter for the better part of a decade now, and she's gotten much, much better at cities than she used to be. Her earliest visits quite handily fall somewhere in between comic mishap and adventure, and largely consist of her blundering into obvious trouble that these days she knows how to avoid. Because she hails from south of the city, the Protector's Enclave is the easiest section of the city to access, and rather than staying at more popular places like the Moonstone Mask (the floating feeling makes her feel a little queasy) she's become something of a regular at The Wayfarer's Respite. An inn she selected based on two criteria: it was the inn closest to the southern gate, and it was reasonably clean. The inn's proprietor, a young dwarf named Grayin Goldhammer (who took over from his father as proprietor the same year Branna first visited) actually knows the fenlands ranger quite well.

She has not particularly concerned herself with the politics in the city so long as she can continue to sell things. Although Dagult Neverember has professed to support trade, Branna has found the costs of doing so in the docks prohibitive and troublesome for an operation as small as hers, but has found the strange merchants from Tarmalune to be more hospitable. It's also just as easy to cross the river and head north into the Blacklake district to conduct deals there, out from underneath the control of the Open Lord. Regardless of who she's dealt with, since many of the merchants seem to change in between her visits, Branna hasn't really built up any particularly strong business relationships.

AXE_COP on IRC posted:

does she have any particular reason to care about neverwinter and its situation other than selling stuff and being around people, though? Also i'd like to know a little more about her personality beyond "cheerful and friendly"

I saw this in the backlog and figured I might as well post about it also.

For the most part, I don't think Branna has any particular reason to care about Neverwinter, no. Of course, with the passage of time she's gotten to know Goldhammer quite well, and were something to happen to him or his family she might be distressed. I guess she appreciates the relative stability of the city, but she's not on any sort of overt quest to do good. She just does what she feels is right on a day to day basis.

Maybe because she could turn into a wolf, maybe because druids are just terrible parents, or perhaps a combination of both, but Branna spent a lot of her early life just being wild. Although she's mellowed considerably over the years, a number of these traits still continue to show. Branna is curious and inquisitive, more so with inanimate things then people. She'd rather throw a mysterious lever than interrogate some stranger. She can at times be stubborn, but she's never reckless. She might be cheerful and friendly, but she isn't exactly outgoing. In the company of strangers, her emotions tend to be subdued, whereas in the company of people she feels she can trust, she's much more open with her feelings. She likes to project confidence and positivity even if it isn't how she actually feels at the time.

Prior to coming to Neverwinter, Branna's experience with other people was rather limited. In the lead-up to her actual arrival in Neverwinter she spent a lot of effort trying to figure out how city-people operated. At first, it was a matter of pretending to be like other people rather than being a person herself. But the transition from pretending to be a person to being herself was something that happened naturally the more she interaction she experienced. These days she's about as well adjusted as the next individual, but occasionally she might run into something that trips her up. That something tends to be bad humor.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 7, 2014

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I assume a changeling can work, even though it's an Eberron race? Just change the name to "doppelganger" and work accordingly?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LightWarden posted:

I assume a changeling can work, even though it's an Eberron race? Just change the name to "doppelganger" and work accordingly?

Mostly - dopplegangers have their own societies and cultures in Faerun, like druuths and the doppleganger kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Anywhere I can find any information about that?

• Locked thread