Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mardik Anskuld: the Testament of Mulhorand, Mulhorandi Revenant Mummy Vestige Pact Lock Dead God Aspirant
To know the truth of Mardik's life you must look back, back before Lord Neverember took the throne, back before the Spellplague ravaged the face of Toril, back before his death. In old Mulhorand, Mardik plied his long years as a historian and scribe in the temples of Horus-Re, he kept well the records of the wars against Unther and when at last his flesh began to fail him he rested sure in his knowledge that his heart would be found worthy. But when Mardik again opened his eyes he found himself not in Heliopolis at the side of Horus-Re, but in a tomb within Skuld, buried under the sands. His veins flowed again with blue light as the spellplague restored vitality to his age ravaged body. His screams were unheard, and his prayers to the Gods went unanswered, so over the many long nights he put his tireless flesh to the task of digging out of his own tomb.

When he finally reached the surface he found a land changed, sands turned to glass by sheets of blue fire. Mountains where before there were valleys. An entirely new continent where once their mighty foe Unther stood. And a city of corpses instead of the glorious capital of Skuld. Mulhorand was dead, and with it its gods. Those that had fled the devastation of the spellplague cursed and forgot about the gods, but Mardik could not. The long years of service to the gods was etched upon his soul, a soul now bound to his body by blue flame. If he did not forget the gods then some small fragment of them would remain alive in the world. And though he could not be sure of their will, Mardik took it upon himself to be their final lasting testament. So long as he existed, Mulhorand would endure.
When at last he returned to the Temple of Horus-Re, he found the libraries in tatters. Many books had been destroyed but the most valuable would have been in protective vaults. But the vaults were thrown open and laid bare. He scoured the temple and the greater city looking for some trace of what should have remained when he came across some tomb robbers stealing the wealth of Skuld. They attacked, thinking him some mindless undead, but he burned them to ash with blue flame. Looking through their belongings he found a map to Skuld from someplace called Neverwinter, and some of their belongings.

Mardik set out across the sands to follow them back to their homes, hoping to find some sign of the riches that had been stolen from his homeland. As he went he saw that the devastation was not limited to the borders of Mulhorand and Unther, though they had seen some of the worst of it. Fields of blue flame burned where lakes had once stood. Trees were twisted into profane shapes with red leaves. Entire homes lay upended in their foundations. As angry as he was, and as righteous as his cause was, he could not idly stand by and do nothing while others suffered. The dead of Mulhorand were dead, and the gods would live in his memory so long as his unlife continued. But these people were suffering now. He would get to Neverwinter eventually, he would get the justice that the fallen needed. But for now he would honor Mulhorand's memory by doing good in its name.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arivia posted:

Kurieg: I am not a char op person at all, but do you only want to be able to use one of your feats per combat? Like you have one that plays off of your racial power and your other means you can't use that power that combat.
I was torn between Dragonborn and Tiefling for my past life race. Both give me the ability to add extra types to my reaping/blast, but the dragonborn feats (even the revenant dragonborn feats) require you to have a dragons breath and thus a dragon's breath type to use them. Tiefling would probably be the 'better' choice but i went for flavor over mechanics. I still might go back to tiefling if a mummy shooting fireballs isn't to egregious.

quote:

You might want to think about Mardik's last name - if he's mourning his dead homeland, would he also believe in the pride and place of his lost family? (I have sample Mulhorandi names if you want them.) Raurin is adjacent to Mulhorand, but far enough away that he wouldn't be buried there normally - is there a reason you mentioned that? You might look into what's now the Plains of Purple Dust, or Skuld's ruins.
Mulhorandi last names would be swell, and because the FR Wiki said that Raurin was a desert in Mulhorand :v:

quote:

There's more than just wastes between Mulhorand and the Sword Coast - how did Mardik cross most of Faerun? Spell? Caravan? Did he meet anyone interesting along the way, see anything interesting? (Maybe other relics of the Spellplague's devastation?)
Yeah he probably did but most of my knowledge of the forgotten realms comes from the NWN games and the Neverwinter MMO. I mean other than him probably getting waylayed in Thay for a while because red wizards are assholes.

• Locked thread