Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Apparently mattress sales are ridiculous. I struck up conversation with the guy at the store I bought my new mattress from and the commissions on a Sealy or similar are in the 800-1000 range. From what he said, most people in his regional group are clearing $100k a year and there are something like 55-60 top tier mattress-only stores in my metro area (Portland), ignoring the other big retailers who also carry the same brands.

Of course I hit him up hard for discounts off the sale price after he told me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Duckman2008 posted:

So I currently have a full time sales job, just curious if I am missing anything better:

I've worked in wireless 6 years now. I like it, I'm good at it, awesome. Currently at one of the large ones as a manager, outside of retail management past sales experience is in mostly retail sale (top 20 out of 1,000 people) and some experience on outside sales and Cold calling. I currently make about $70K.

Is there anything better out there for my skill set?

Maybe the corporate side of wireless sales? Large account stuff. One of my coworkers used to do the government contracting and sales at Verizon, he was a top performer and was well into six figures.

There's no reason that if you are in the top 2% you should only be making 70k.

yospos cru: Wit_sponge, relative_q, roguestar, Model M, Sir_Donkeypunch, tom collins, three, rufo, camh, homeless snail, sex offendin link, pik_d, graph, scaevolus, schultzi, mrbucket, the evan
what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What do you guys think about copier salesmen or the copier industry

Its where I started so im curious

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waroduce posted:

What do you guys think about copier salesmen or the copier industry

Its where I started so im curious

I think copier sales is like that clip from The Office where Michael is presenting to a MBA class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkRWYC28-Nw

EDIT: found one that works.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 13, 2015

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What's the best way to talk about possible weaknesses in a sales type interview? You obviously don't want to degrade yourself but you can't give a non-answer either...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

What's the best way to talk about possible weaknesses in a sales type interview? You obviously don't want to degrade yourself but you can't give a non-answer either...

Off the top of my head I might say that I am strongest when working with people that like to get down to business and working to improve my sales success with more "right-brained"* people.

I would say that because it is true for me plus it allows me to talk up a positive aspect as a counter to the negative that follows it. I suppose you could also spin it around and do "Negative" but "Positive" and that would be better.

*not actually a thing but more sales-people will know the right vs. left brain definitions as they apply to sales.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Be honest. You have an opportunity to improve. Let's say you have been described as "long-winded" at times. You have an opportunity to to improve your selling conversations by being more concise in your selling. You are improving your clarity you are writing down your talking points as check boxes and roleplaying with your current manager before important calls.

Show me someone who doesn't have a weakness, and I'll show you a liar. Be honest about your opportunities and let them know you are taking steps to improve.

yospos cru: Wit_sponge, relative_q, roguestar, Model M, Sir_Donkeypunch, tom collins, three, rufo, camh, homeless snail, sex offendin link, pik_d, graph, scaevolus, schultzi, mrbucket, the evan
what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Question for the thread: what is your preferred sales and marketing tool(s) intelligence tools? I'm helping my market director look through options and figure out our best fit.

I don't want to give too much personal info but we are ~2,000 people technology consulting firm. We usually do business with fairly large companies in their marketing or IT departments.

We are pretty preliminary right now so I'm not totally sure our exact needs. We have Salesforce so we aren't looking for a CRM tool but more people/company intelligence.

Prospective tools that have been mentioned so far:
Discoverorg
Rainking
Kitedesk
Ecquire
Nimble

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xguard86 posted:

Question for the thread: what is your preferred sales and marketing tool(s) intelligence tools? I'm helping my market director look through options and figure out our best fit.

I don't want to give too much personal info but we are ~2,000 people technology consulting firm. We usually do business with fairly large companies in their marketing or IT departments.

We are pretty preliminary right now so I'm not totally sure our exact needs. We have Salesforce so we aren't looking for a CRM tool but more people/company intelligence.

Prospective tools that have been mentioned so far:
Discoverorg
Rainking
Kitedesk
Ecquire
Nimble

Are those 2k people all salesmen? Or is your team relatively small?

You could get subs to sites like Zoominfo or whatever, but in my experience LinkedIn Sales Navigator has been by far the best for my team and our clients.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Snatch Duster posted:

Are those 2k people all salesmen? Or is your team relatively small?

You could get subs to sites like Zoominfo or whatever, but in my experience LinkedIn Sales Navigator has been by far the best for my team and our clients.

2k consultants or something like that. Our actually team is one dedicated bdm and then various people who are partner /principle types that manage and sell as part of their overall job.

What are you up to for the 3 day weekend?The tool would be for the bdm and possibly some sales people that are hired or tasked in the future. I've seen the LinkedIn sales navigator recommended before as the best option. Good to hear another + for that.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

My interview is today. Wish me luck, sales goons!

The recruiter did a mock interview with me to test how I would respond to their questions and said she was extremely impressed with how I handled myself. Gave her some of the most amazing answers she's seen in her career. This is feedback I got from my former operating unit manager at my current position back when he hired me so I don't think she's lying to me.. She said I'm definitely cut out for the job and if they don't hire me she will personally make sure I find a position elsewhere.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Reminder to bring kosher donuts to closings involving jewish clients

loving kosher donuts

Oh we can't eat them if they aren't kosher

Im going to wear a fuckin yamica next time

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Never heard that one before.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I passed the interview. I'm invited for a second round. This time it seems I'll be required to meet with people from a similar role and the support roles that take over the work once the sale is done.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snatch Duster posted:

Never heard that one before.

A salesperson being a bigot?

Nah that's SOP.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

A salesperson being a bigot?

Nah that's SOP.

No, as an objection. Racist salesmen are more common than dimes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Everyones money is green

But lol if you dont hate everyone equally

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not racism it's sales prejudice.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Never pitch the bitch heheheh amirite guys

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Waroduce posted:

Reminder to bring kosher donuts to closings involving jewish clients

loving kosher donuts

Oh we can't eat them if they aren't kosher

Im going to wear a fuckin yamica next time

I"m sure kosher donuts taste great like many kosher things.

This also reminds me of when I was a supervisor at a call centre and agents couldn't wish clients "Merry Christmas" of course this would piss people off and they would scream. Nothing shut them down faster then politely telling them that I was Jewish.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I"m sure kosher donuts taste great like many kosher things.

This also reminds me of when I was a supervisor at a call centre and agents couldn't wish clients "Merry Christmas" of course this would piss people off and they would scream. Nothing shut them down faster then politely telling them that I was Jewish.

I've never understood the anti-Merry Christmas thing. I get that people aren't Christian, and I'm Jewish as well, but at the end of the day it isn't about the Christmas thing, it's just someone being polite and nice.

It's like when people say "have a blessed day," it's weird and I wouldn't do it, but the intent is good and they are being nice. I worked with a lot of Muslim and Hindu people, and I don't celebrate Christmas, but we were telling each other Merry Christmas during the December sales cycle because it's about being nice and all.

what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

lazercunt posted:

I've never understood the anti-Merry Christmas thing. I get that people aren't Christian, and I'm Jewish as well, but at the end of the day it isn't about the Christmas thing, it's just someone being polite and nice.

It's like when people say "have a blessed day," it's weird and I wouldn't do it, but the intent is good and they are being nice. I worked with a lot of Muslim and Hindu people, and I don't celebrate Christmas, but we were telling each other Merry Christmas during the December sales cycle because it's about being nice and all.

I've never understood it either but then again I'm not a crazy person who gets upset about those kind of things.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

One of the most important bits of feedback I got from my interview was that I came across as somewhat formal almost tense and that they tried to lighten the atmosphere and help me relax a couple times to no avail.

I told them that it happens when I'm in situations where I'm being evaluated or scrutinized (as a person rather than what I'm presenting). Happy with my honesty he asked if it was something I can overcome to which I honestly replied yes I can definitely beat it with experience.

I understand why he would he concerned about that. If sales is about relationships it's hard for clients to trust me if I'm always wearing a mask and unable to make myself vulnerable around them. The reason I seem so rigid is because I'm concerned about making a faux pas and want to avoid accidently putting my foot in my mouth. Im trying to avoid any kind of gaffes or compromising statements that would lead to complaints.

Does anyone have any advice for me in this regard? My next interview involves meeting the functional teams and other sales directors. It's "informal" so I can only assume they're going to assess my fit with the organization. If I come across as an inflexible hardass (and I really am not) it will cost me this job as they won't want to work with me.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
My companies sales personell suck but everyone they hire on sucks more what do?

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

PerpetualSelf posted:

quit

what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PerpetualSelf posted:

Go into sales urself and show those dumb sales people how to do it

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Waroduce posted:

Go into sales urself and show those dumb sales people how to do it

I want to but my boss won't let me.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Would anyone doing sales, particularly SaaS or other enterprise IT businesses, be interested in chatting and trying out a tool I am working on to help close deals? I'm excited about it, but really getting more salespeoples opinions is most important. I have PMs, and can email.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm going to keep working at it until I make it work, but at what point should I assume that I'm doing something wrong in applying for job postings? I've applied for dozens of jobs from low-level Account Executive to entry-level Sales Development Representative positions and I haven't even gotten a phone call.

I really, really want to make sales into a career. Ideally B2B SaaS or similar, but I'll do all the work needed to earn my way up there. I live in SF, have been working as a waiter forever, have great soft skills, have a degree (graphic design, but with a CS background as well), work as a sales rep at trade shows whenever I can, my resume's gotten the blessing of people in the industry, and I have the desire to do whatever I have to do to be good at this. I want this more than I've ever wanted any job before.

Is this just a matter of chugging along, or what can I do better to stand out?

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

New job, and 2 months of training to work through :yotj:. I'm not sure anyone trains as much as what I'm doing now. This should be fun, though at least next week is product week.

what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm going to keep working at it until I make it work, but at what point should I assume that I'm doing something wrong in applying for job postings? I've applied for dozens of jobs from low-level Account Executive to entry-level Sales Development Representative positions and I haven't even gotten a phone call.

I really, really want to make sales into a career. Ideally B2B SaaS or similar, but I'll do all the work needed to earn my way up there. I live in SF, have been working as a waiter forever, have great soft skills, have a degree (graphic design, but with a CS background as well), work as a sales rep at trade shows whenever I can, my resume's gotten the blessing of people in the industry, and I have the desire to do whatever I have to do to be good at this. I want this more than I've ever wanted any job before.

Is this just a matter of chugging along, or what can I do better to stand out?

apply to hundreds. Like for real, the system is broken. Figure out the tricks, meet people and just keep grinding away.

I'm transitioning to sales in our company by pretty much volunteering time and reaching out to people. I think looking for a job as a fresh grad in a recession was perhaps the best sales training I could have received because it calibrated my scale of effort -> result to where its a nice surprise if anything works.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So my solutions selling job process is about to come to an end.

I've had to do psychometric testing, and 3 rigorous rounds of interviews with almost every level of the company including Executive VPs and divisional presidents.

I've somehow impressed all of them and will probably be given an offer soon. I only hope that whatever magic I pulled during these interviews will help me do my job when the time comes or this is gonna be a really short trip.

EDIT: Offer signed and notice given. I got scared to take salesforce, now I'm going the full hardon. No going back now.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 23, 2015

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Can anyone recommend a good tech sales staffing agency in the San Francisco Bay Area? I've looked up a few, but from the outside it's hard to tell which, if any, are any good.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

What's the best way to qualify leads?
My company uses a solutions selling approach so our goal will not be to push product right away. We just need to see who's most likely to bite if we show up and spend resources to assess their needs.

Instead I would need to find out:
1. Who the contact person for my product is.
2. Whether they have an operation in my sales territory that requires my product (as opposed to an office.
3. Mapping out their subsidiaries (if any)
4. (Bonus)Determine their spend on their current solution vs ours.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

My company uses a solutions selling approach so our goal will not be to push product right away. We just need to see who's most likely to bite if we show up and spend resources to assess their needs.

2. Whether they have an operation in my sales territory that requires my product (as opposed to an office.

Zoominfo and hoovers? Anything that can push out an excel spreadsheet I think. I kind of do more qualification on initial discovery than during prospecting, but it sounds like you are just building out the lead list and making sure you aren't encroaching on someone else's territory

what it do
DEAD KEN POST REPLACER

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kraftwerk posted:

I use LinkedIn clipper. You can export entire list of people with the title, industry, location, and years with the company into a csv or xml file. Convert that over to an excel and presto, you're good to go.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So is it normal for people to tell you to call them back only for you to get stonewalled after?

I had a suspect tell me he'd be interested in discussing a project with me and that I should call back in a week to set up an appointment. So I did that. He said it's the company shutdown and to call back the week after.

So I called today and he hung up on me the moment he realized who it was. Would a more skilled sales person have been able to somehow salvage this or are situations like this inevitable?

I just wanna make sure I didn't screw up.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

So is it normal for people to tell you to call them back only for you to get stonewalled after?

I had a suspect tell me he'd be interested in discussing a project with me and that I should call back in a week to set up an appointment. So I did that. He said it's the company shutdown and to call back the week after.

So I called today and he hung up on me the moment he realized who it was. Would a more skilled sales person have been able to somehow salvage this or are situations like this inevitable?

I just wanna make sure I didn't screw up.

That's all pretty standard. Call him back in a week anyway. Not much you can do if you never even got to perform an assessment/intro call with them. Also I laughed out loud at calling them a suspect, not in a mean way at you, just a funny turn of phrase.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

That makes me feel a lot better. My co-workers seem to be pretty supportive too. Is it just me or do other sales people seem to have some kind of weird industry camaraderie amongst themselves? When I'm out at events and meeting ppl the fellow sales people always wanna trade stories or help out the young ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Yea cause its an easy way to get you to shut up and off the phone

• Locked thread