Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If my assistant burned me on even a single sale I'd probably start treating him like an idiot and asking him to stay away from customers. Not saying that happened, but definitely be careful what you're saying... you don't want to be contradicting the sales guy in front of a customer.

Unless you're on commission and can scoop him by being knowing what you're doing and not being a slimeball. In which case welcome to sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pierced Bronson posted:

From his perspective that makes sense, but it's not like I can hover around while he tries to make a sale in order to understand his tactics and learn what I should stay away from saying. I'm just trying to be a helpful dude when I have the opportunity to do so. The other day I went on a drive with a girl buying a convertible, and she was like "wow this has such low mileage" and I said "well that's because people mostly buy convertibles to drive in the nice weather on weekends / for leisure, and park them in bad weather" thinking to myself that was a solid explanation, but then It opened a can of worms regarding winter safety and the need for snow tires.

Yeah, you're in a tough spot.

I'd definitely want you around me to see what I'm actually saying to them if you're going to have any serious interaction with them (test drives are obviously a serious interaction).

I miss sales.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Say something witty as you hand back the order with a flourish, announcing your resignation in front of a stunned and incredulous audience of BMW customers, who will then spontaneously erupt into applause.

get them the coffee and then ask your boss where he sees you 3 months down the road, and what you can do to hurray that along. If you have something else lined up and you don't like his answer, quit

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You have a job that pays you 45 and have a chance to take a job that pays you double that.

If they're on the up and up, take it. Unless your car is a lambo the salary difference alone makes up for it.

(Except the mileage indicates they aren't on the up and up. I made .35$ per km like 10 years ago from a notoriously cheap company.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snatch Duster posted:

Never heard that one before.

A salesperson being a bigot?

Nah that's SOP.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not racism it's sales prejudice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

That makes me feel a lot better. My co-workers seem to be pretty supportive too. Is it just me or do other sales people seem to have some kind of weird industry camaraderie amongst themselves? When I'm out at events and meeting ppl the fellow sales people always wanna trade stories or help out the young ones.

Just don't ever gently caress up my sale or try to steal from me and we can all be friends.

Salespeople are the best until they aren't.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't take a job you don't want to do.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you think you can only sell products that sell themselves, you may want to reexamine the career you are choosing for yourself. If my product sells itself, then why would I get paid to sell it? Where is my value add?

You've been posting for a while about this, and you seem very negative about your product Kraftwerk. I have a hard time believing that doesn't come through in some way during sales interactions. If your leads are solely focused on price, you either aren't doing enough to demonstrate value, or you're targeting the wrong leads. Try to go see how salespeople in other regions are doing their prospecting and approaches. Maybe the issue is prospecting, not pitching.

e: in response to a while back someone asking about industries... I did b2b to retail & warehouses, and sold appliances. Best salespeople I met were the appliance men and women.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I did my b2b by walking down main street and talking to store managers, or cold calling and asking for the owner. It's the way to go for sure if you aren't getting the leads. And in smaller businesses that local touch means A LOT.

We also got sales by walking up to loading bays and asking the guys about the way they were currently doing things, as your boss suggests. We sold inventory services so the staff were jacked at the idea of not doing it themselves and often very happy to give the right info and contacts. It's more effective in certain areas obviously, like down near the industrial parts of Toronto than here in Ottawa, but it just works.

Face to face rejection feels the same as phone rejection, just takes more time (but can lead to more sales...)

Also, good on you to recognize when you're being negative! I had someone I worked with in appliances who was good about telling me to go outside and chill out when I got into a funk and it definitely helped me a lot. So much of sales is attitude.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It'll mean that if he doesn't close a PO, he's now failing to meet his previous sales expectations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How you are as a cool and relatable guy is less important than how you act as a professional in my experience. Just struggle through the sale and focus on the product and then do what you said you'd do in terms of follow up, and that will probably put you ahead of most sales guys.

Depends on what you're selling obviously.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Get your spiff and get out (from working for Bob). gently caress guys like that.

You may actually want to speak with your corporate and explore options in other offices if your side of the project went well. If it did, they would probably want to keep you.

Especially if you have a line to the CEO.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waroduce posted:

I do have a line on the CEO, but the company is based out of fly over states and I don't really wanna work there. I am apparently used as an example of success for new trainees lmao.

I need some serious resume help though, what do you guys put on your sales resumes? can anyone recommend a service even though i want to get out of sales, im not sure how to descibe my positions. I did straight sales for like a year and a half and project management after that

If moving within your existing company isn't an option I'd still talk to the CEO if you can. Explain that it's not working out and you're planning to leave, ask for a reference. See what if anything they can do for you on the way out.

If he's worth anything he'll be supportive of the move. Losing good employees over bullshit is tough but part of business, especially sales. Keeping good relationships is valuable.

Just don't burn any bridges on your way out except for with Bob because gently caress that guy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best salespeople I've met aren't always the best talkers. They're the ones who actually do what they say they'll do. The rookie with an amazing season who never repeats is almost always a great talker.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Basic stuff I did when in the same position:
- cold call to get in person meetings not sell them on anything over the phone
- develop a script and practice the hell out of it, mostly figuring out how to go off of it
- figured out a small business that was kind of a legit target but didn't really need our services (convenience stores) and called every one of them before I called actual targets just so that I could get used to the script and used to being shut down

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You probably shouldn't have budged at 190, for two reasons: it shows the client that you don't think your product is really worth what you're charging (maybe it isn't, but you don't generally want to tell the client that), and it shows you haven't reached your lowest price. Once you move off of 190, they have no incentive to stop pushing on price on this deal or any future deals. You can move down on a scope change, but straight discounting never works in the long run. Live and learn.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's a great post man.

The line about "if you don't ask for the sale you won't get it" is so loving important for any type of sale or negotiation.

Hell thats just great general life advice. Ask for things you want, don't sit back and hope someone recognizes you want them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You sure do.

These posts are fantastic.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats! Pretty sure there's nothing better at work than closing a big deal or having a big day.

I've been out of sales for several years, and I don't miss the lows, but goddamn do I miss the highs that sales provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jim's a killer.

"Nice to meet you, can I come over and talk to you about life insurance soon?"

• Locked thread