Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm going to keep working at it until I make it work, but at what point should I assume that I'm doing something wrong in applying for job postings? I've applied for dozens of jobs from low-level Account Executive to entry-level Sales Development Representative positions and I haven't even gotten a phone call.

I really, really want to make sales into a career. Ideally B2B SaaS or similar, but I'll do all the work needed to earn my way up there. I live in SF, have been working as a waiter forever, have great soft skills, have a degree (graphic design, but with a CS background as well), work as a sales rep at trade shows whenever I can, my resume's gotten the blessing of people in the industry, and I have the desire to do whatever I have to do to be good at this. I want this more than I've ever wanted any job before.

Is this just a matter of chugging along, or what can I do better to stand out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Can anyone recommend a good tech sales staffing agency in the San Francisco Bay Area? I've looked up a few, but from the outside it's hard to tell which, if any, are any good.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I've been trying to get into technology sales in the San Francisco Bay Area for months now, and have applied to hundreds of postings on LinkedIn. The only interviews I've gotten were for obvious scam companies or jobs that would halve my current salary and probably not lead anywhere else in tech.

I have a college degree (in Graphic Design, however), I've been in food service forever and am really good at it, got promoted to manager at my current place, have had help getting a decent resume together, and have friends in the industry that have faith that I'd do well, but what the hell else can I do to get a foot in the door?

I want to make this work, but I'm starting to run out of ways to maintain hope.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I've been applying mostly to entry-level positions like Sales Development Representative roles. Even the ones that don't require experience have only given me a handful of phone interviews.

Where would I find out about meetups? I would love to network, but don't know where to start with that. I'm happy to do tradeshows or whatever else might help.

If I were to attend one, what kind of business card would I make up? "Waiter" isn't a very impressive job title.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Lyon posted:

Software sales is pretty easy to move into which is what I assume he is talking about based on being located in San Francisco. Particularly if you start in an entry level position setting up appointments/qualifying leads.
An entry level position is what I'm having trouble finding :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm applying for open positions on job boards, the best of which (that is, not bullshit cashier or the aforementioned scam jobs) are usually on LinkedIn. I apply for 6-10 SDR or BDR roles a day on weekdays.

I don't have storage space, but may I PM my resume and cover letter to someone? Other sales people said they were okay.

• Locked thread