Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo if there was an actual good emulated server with stability and wasn't constantly DDOS'd by chinese or whatever I would be all over this. SB is an extremely fun game when it works.

I pretty much remember how to play this game as I used to be semi-obsessed with it. I will bookmark this for now as it sounds like its pretty early stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Bane turned out to be a shitshow again. No idea what happened, the first couple banes on this server went really well but since then they have been laggy and broken.

Well, this one wasn't as broken as in the past, but it was pretty laggy.

e: Is the download still broken? I can rehost it if needed.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 10, 2014

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
There's a gamers hell link that works, seems to be the right version, and is pretty fast.

do i just literally copy/paste the

quote:

SERVER NAME: Grief

SERVER= Grief.Magicbane.com

PORT= 6000

from the how-to or does have to go in some of these other fields? There isn't an existing "server name" line.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, no idea about the Server name field. My ArcaneIP.cfg is:

code:
SERVER= Grief.Magicbane.com
PORT= 6000
and it works

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen

Lorem ipsum posted:

Bane turned out to be a shitshow again. No idea what happened, the first couple banes on this server went really well but since then they have been laggy and broken.

Well, this one wasn't as broken as in the past, but it was pretty laggy.

e: Is the download still broken? I can rehost it if needed.

Yeah the trackers for that torrent don't work. The one I downloaded did turn out to be the wrong version.

edit: found one linked in the forum for the other emulator which i imagine should work

edit2: confirmed! got it working

denizen fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 10, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Link me the one you used an i'll edit the OP

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
This game was the poo poo. Near the end of the game I had a guild with a few friends that ended up taking over most of the server. Unfortunately the pubbies I was with didn't want that to be our nation name, because people kept refusing to submit to us so we used their name of Pure Pwnage or some gay poo poo.

My favorite char was my vampire mage assassin with belgosch. I would always infiltrate the guild we were baning like right before the bane went active then start summoning invisible friends and slaughter everyone inside the walls before they had any idea of what was going on. Dumb pubbies would let it happen every single time, it was great.

Our only big rivals were the goddamn chinese, because each one played like 10 characters at once and they were all like goddamn prelates. They would just stand in a massive clump and constantly alternate heals and nukes. Would have to do an AoE blind then send in my Sentinel JihadJoe to invoke the wrath of Allah.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 31, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Delizin posted:

Would have to do an AoE blind then send in my Sentinel JihadJoe to invoke the wrath of Allah.

I dropped a big bomb for 6k damage that killed 23 people on my Sentinel "God" last week.

vehk
Jan 31, 2014
I used to play this at release. I was a leader person in a guild called Legion of the Frog. I rage quit pretty quickly due to the horrible UI and bugs and poo poo at release and forgot about it. This is the first I've remembered it since then. I may have to give it another shot. I remember being so hyped up for the potential with the city warfare and all.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

In game now. Is there anyway to make the GUI larger on higher resolutions? My stats screen and such are tiny.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

My old roommates and I, along with some guys from NIU, started a guild that I can't even remember the name of anymore, or the original server it was on. Our city name was Defiance though, might have been on Vindication or Mourning, both sound really familiar.

It was good times, and we ended up having the guys from NIU drive down to us for some of our house parties, I think 10 of them came the second time.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Delizin posted:

In game now. Is there anyway to make the GUI larger on higher resolutions? My stats screen and such are tiny.

Honestly, I have no idea. Knowing this game, there might be but I doubt maybe people know it. You can try looking in the preferences file I guess. You can maybe try a different UI like this one which might support higher resolutions better: http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Vengeance_UI

Honestly, I play in the lowest resolution possible so that I can multibox easier.

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010
Shadowbane was my first mmo and I still crave to play it. I'm glad one of these emulators is available I've been casually following the other one, but have not gotten into the closed beta. See you in game soon.

EonBlueApoc
Oct 13, 2006
I play straight up.
I played this with a friend a summer or two after it was released. We power leveled thieves so that they would not need to train any weapon skills and just maxed out our defense, stealing, and running skills. By the end of the summer when we stopped playing we had funded our own guild town with vendors to roll equipment on by stealing valuable gear, runes, and the like.

Is that type of character still viable? I would love to do that again.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Yea, you can totally make a steal thief and just rip people off and run away. Most players aren't dumb enough to leave their good stuff in their inventories unless you sneak into a bane and steal their weapons as they try to bash down a wall or something

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
God I used to play this about, poo poo, 10 years ago? I am old :(

It did have very subpar graphics but very cool classes and good pvp, even though much was also zerging. I might be tempted to play it some more, definitely warching this thread

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

When you guys are multiboxing, are you controlling your additional character manually or do you use something like autohotkey?

I was thinking about setting up a script that would let my priest heal me without having to switch screens. Is this kosher for this server?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
When I multibox usually I have an active character in one screen and something passive in the other such as a character being leveled or a buff/summon bot.

We have a pubbie in our guild that keyclones 10 characters are once, but it is super ineffective most of the time.

e: in the timeless words of the magicbane dev:

Artyom posted:

Fix issue lag soon.

e2: What I can scry from this is that gear crafting on a large scale was causing all the lag.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 11, 2014

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

This game is a great nostalgia trip. Participated in my first bane the other night since about 11 years ago. Had a good amount of fun despite some lag issues and crashing. If you liked Shadowbane at any point now is a good time to relearn before Open beta wipe!

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
All over this. Will be in as DaChoppa as soon as the client finishes downloading.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Well drat. Many fond memories of my desert loving fire elf assassin. Gonna have to check this out.

I can't vouch or validate this as I'm still downloading, appears to be a link to the OS X patched client if anyone wants the Mac version:

https://mega.co.nz/#!VYQ2xSIL!puoLrH6y3ENH3w90_CA6mTtT947X87mpNweOcbpGme4

(It's from the other emulator's forums: http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16853)

EDIT: Hrm, don't bother, doesn't seem to work for me, it's the right binary but doesn't work on Mavericks for me at least.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 15, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

Well drat. Many fond memories of my desert loving fire elf assassin. Gonna have to check this out.

I can't vouch or validate this as I'm still downloading, appears to be a link to the OS X patched client if anyone wants the Mac version:

https://mega.co.nz/#!VYQ2xSIL!puoLrH6y3ENH3w90_CA6mTtT947X87mpNweOcbpGme4

(It's from the other emulator's forums: http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16853)

EDIT: Hrm, don't bother, doesn't seem to work for me, it's the right binary but doesn't work on Mavericks for me at least.

If you still want a mac client, I can investigate a bit more. Honestly, i'd look for it on some of the more popular software procurement sites.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Old news for people who are playing, but for everyone else, looks like the wipe will be probably be this friday, the 21st. The devs posted a poll on the forums as a response to people requesting the date be changed and there has been overwhelming support for the 21st.

acidblue
Apr 30, 2005
nerdboy
I used to play this when it went F2P. I used to play a Confessor, and had a Prelate AoE healing me and two Druids Constantly AoE Nuking on a macro. They auto-followed me and by pressing F12 it started the AOE Madness. Good times. I might reinstall this.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

If you still want a mac client, I can investigate a bit more. Honestly, i'd look for it on some of the more popular software procurement sites.

Heh. Well, it's been so long and I primarily played on Windows but I'd forgotten that SB on Mac was an OS 9 PPC Application! How crazy is that? Anyway, downloaded the .rar in the OP and wrapped it with Wineskin and that seems to work fine. (I should have read the post on the Emu board, that's what the other dude did too, but his version doesn't work on my Mavericks machine.) So in the unlikely event anyone else is looking for this on OS X - there you have it, get wineskin and create a wrapper and it works fine.

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

If you're not playing this you are just missing out on so much! Daily mental break downs, racism and transsexuals just to name a few!

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010

Delizin posted:

Old news for people who are playing, but for everyone else, looks like the wipe will be probably be this friday, the 21st. The devs posted a poll on the forums as a response to people requesting the date be changed and there has been overwhelming support for the 21st.

This is great news. Is there any sort of server up strategy? Are there any built in trainers to get skills past 70% or is like an old production server start, where you have to wait for a player town to rank trainers up? If so is there a plan of what trainers will be ranked first?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Delizin posted:

Both magicbane as well as the sbemu are wiping this friday. Really wondering which will be more worthwhile. I've been farting around on magicbane for the past month or so, but am eligible for the friday sbemu cb wipe as my forum credentials are pre-2014.

What to do, what to do.

In any event I will be on ONE of the two servers late friday if goons want to meet up and do some leveling.

edit: looks like sbemu wimped out and now decided they will be allowing multiboxing (if not flat out encouraging it)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sureal posted:

This is great news. Is there any sort of server up strategy? Are there any built in trainers to get skills past 70% or is like an old production server start, where you have to wait for a player town to rank trainers up? If so is there a plan of what trainers will be ranked first?

currently only player towns have the higher level trainers.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Did sbemu make an announcement they were going to be wiping?

Last they were saying they were going to some "Invitational Open Beta" bullshit to try to compete with Magicbane, but would not be wiping the server.

I would definitely choose Magicbane over sbemu regardless. It is actually a mostly working game and doesn't require/have constant admin interference to play the game. SbEmu is finally starting to actually try to work on Shadowbane since they no longer have a monopoly that they can circle jerk each other and mess with in game politics, but they are still ages behind Magicbane in functionality and stability.

For the people interested in joining in for the land rush, I'd encourage you to start stopping by the IRC channel and even hop in game to get a feel for things. We have a server up plan and will be supporting the guild Wehrmacht in getting initially setup and if we get enough people we might even have our own tree shortly after.

Edit: We also have two banes tonight, Mar 18. One at 9pm EST and one at 11pm EST. These are just gently caress around sort of deals since the server is resetting, but should be fun none the less.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 18, 2014

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

squirrelzipper posted:

I've it on my mac. Dunno how I can get it to you tho.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Delizin posted:

Did sbemu make an announcement they were going to be wiping?

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18329

Apparently anyone with a pre 2014 forum account will be able to get in.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Dev's just announced that the current plan is to wipe Friday at 11:59 St Petersburg time, which will be 4pm EST.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140321T2359&p1=352&msg=SB%20Wipe

Be there or don't. Whatever. See if I care.

Just keep in mind that land rushing is the most fun to be had in Shadowbane. SBEmu will not be wiping their queer server so it isn't even a concern.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Delizin posted:

Dev's just announced that the current plan is to wipe Friday at 11:59 St Petersburg time, which will be 4pm EST.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20140321T2359&p1=352&msg=SB%20Wipe

Be there or don't. Whatever. See if I care.

Just keep in mind that land rushing is the most fun to be had in Shadowbane. SBEmu will not be wiping their queer server so it isn't even a concern.

well that puts it firmly in the middle of my workday :smith:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Both magicbane as well as the sbemu are wiping this friday. Really wondering which will be more worthwhile. I've been farting around on magicbane for the past month or so, but am eligible for the friday sbemu cb wipe as my forum credentials are pre-2014.

What to do, what to do.

In any event I will be on ONE of the two servers late friday if goons want to meet up and do some leveling.

edit: looks like sbemu wimped out and now decided they will be allowing multiboxing (if not flat out encouraging it)

By my understanding the sbemu server is not wiping, they're just opening it up to more people. So anyone new is going to get poo poo stomped for a while. That plus needing admin permission for banes makes the decision pretty obvious really.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Combo posted:

By my understanding the sbemu server is not wiping, they're just opening it up to more people. So anyone new is going to get poo poo stomped for a while. That plus needing admin permission for banes makes the decision pretty obvious really.

Someone was talking in Wehrmacht chat said that on SBEmu they are also trying to make it so you can only fight with even numbers, going so far as adding penalties if you outnumber or opponents or just outright banning you for "zerging".

Delizin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 19, 2014

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

Combo posted:

In my experience SBemu is not worth playing. Come play magicbane where we have roleplayers and masses of idiots that barely grasp the game!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
You guys are welcome to play on SBE, i'll even get you setup with a guild there. However when I quit playing it 2 weeks ago the server performance was horrible, they were mass banning people for vague statements in group says, and pretty much every fight was done with an admin's approval.

I'm sure SBE will get better, but i'd rather stick with magicbane for now because they at least seem to know how to write code.

Server up plan:

I'm on vacation until Saturday, but basically we want to help WM farm up a tree, get a junk hut there, then farm up our own tree. As it stands, we want to end up subbed to WM and just have our own town so we can make our own gear and stuff.

Basically, everyone should have a nephilim warlock on server up. Roll anything else you want - I personally suggest rolling that mino and the scout in the OP - but make sure you get a nephlock going. Nephlocks fit into this weird niche that can fly forever and aoe with only the r3 trainers in Khar. This makes them one of the very few classes that can farm and powerlevel effectively on server up.

As far as tree locations, we want to nab one of those locations discussed on the WM forums, i'll trust you guys to handle it. We also need a guild name. We used to be "Goon Squad" on live but that is boring.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So isn't Wehrmacht a bunch of cheaters? I'm talking to some friends playing the server right now, saying that most of their characters don't show up on /who, as well as a lot of their guys being untargetable in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Zotix posted:

So isn't Wehrmacht a bunch of cheaters? I'm talking to some friends playing the server right now, saying that most of their characters don't show up on /who, as well as a lot of their guys being untargetable in combat.

Since this is Something Awful, I'll come clean on the WM cheat secrets. There are no cheats, hacks, dupes or "loops" in the guild. There are occasionally bugs or lag that gets labeled as hacks, but those are rare and unintentional. Most people are actually just terrible at the game and like to use the excuse that the opponents are cheating instead of admitting that they are bad.

WM records all of it's banes and a lot of their mine fights and posts them online. They also aggressively report any bugs they find, because it is in everyone's interest for this game to be as bug free as possible.

• Locked thread