Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, sorry, second "her" was Donna. The apprentice is active and interesting too, but she's not on the radar in the same way. If I remember which her comic is, I'll post it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pick posted:

Oh, sorry, second "her" was Donna. The apprentice is active and interesting too, but she's not on the radar in the same way. If I remember which her comic is, I'll post it here.

Oh well. Either way, still an interesting insight! :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Oh well. Either way, still an interesting insight! :v:

I'm honestly surprised Donna ever took on interns. Apparently, there was a time she was much-better known and people were seeking to move over there just to get her help. Also, she had a radio interview recently. You might be able to find it, I haven't heard it yet.

She also recently donated all of her original work to San Diego University's library?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pick posted:

I'm honestly surprised Donna ever took on interns. Apparently, there was a time she was much-better known and people were seeking to move over there just to get her help. Also, she had a radio interview recently. You might be able to find it, I haven't heard it yet.

She also recently donated all of her original work to San Diego University's library?

I think I read about that on one of her many blogs. At least about donating some of it, if not all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This is inconsistent with her position in Desert Peach :arghfist::saddowns:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
With forums being down I've had time to declutter and prepare all my poo poo for moving! (I graduate from my Bachelor's this July and am going elsewhere before I start my Master's next year.) Part of this involves trading in billions of old textbooks. Some of them the university doesn't want any more, so I've had to go further afield, to mystery second hand book shops where I swap them for store credit. And in doing that, somehow this happened...

#s 12, 17, 21, 23, 24, 28, and #18, the Musical.

Here's a quote from the back of one of them, which I feel summarises my engagement with Donna Barr's lifeworks pretty well:

I threw in a copy of The Well of Loneliness so I looked classy. :cool:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

With forums being down I've had time to declutter and prepare all my poo poo for moving! (I graduate from my Bachelor's this July and am going elsewhere before I start my Master's next year.) Part of this involves trading in billions of old textbooks. Some of them the university doesn't want any more, so I've had to go further afield, to mystery second hand book shops where I swap them for store credit. And in doing that, somehow this happened...

One of us, one of us!

Yeah, I don't know how it happens, man. It's infectious.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm planning on taking pictures/scans of interesting author notes, letters to the editor, extra bits and bobs, etc, and then donate most of them to the Queer Collective. Preferably shoving them under the door anonymously and fleeing the scene so no one connects me to the crime. The musical one (#18) I may keep as a lot of it is not online, and I want evidence that not just one person, but at least a couple dozen people (cast and crew), thought it would be a good idea to make a Desert Peach musical and attach their names and photographs to it for posterity.

The shop I got them in is now forever cemented in my mind as a place to keep an eye out for good things, now!

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Here's a quote from the back of one of them, which I feel summarises my engagement with Donna Barr's lifeworks pretty well:

I threw in a copy of The Well of Loneliness so I looked classy. :cool:
I love that the cover blurbs go from random correspondence in the CBG to R. Crumb and they feel the need to explain who R. Crumb is.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Secondhand bookstores are my favorite places on earth.

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I love that the cover blurbs go from random correspondence in the CBG to R. Crumb and they feel the need to explain who R. Crumb is.

I think the joke is that "Mr. Natural" is unbelievably hosed up, moreso even than Crumb's usual work, which makes his quote funnier.

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 27, 2014

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Well. That's one sort of endorsement.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I have 24/7 access to a scanner while I'm mooching off my parents for the holidays, so I've scanned in all the pages of the Desert Peach musical programme that aren't included online.

The musical programme is #18. Some of it appears online here. Basically, what is on the internet is the comic bit featuring the characters out of character/backstage, as well as the guest artworks. The stuff that isn't online was included for download in a PDF on the site, but it has since become a dead link. I'm sure it still exists somewhere but I need to feel productive. It consists mostly of cast and crew details, including small bios and photos (more so for the main three creators, Donna, Michael Seyfrit, and T Brian Wagner), as well as other notes, artworks, and a general history/explanation of "Why we thought this was a good idea" and notes about the production of the musical itself. It's mostly text. I am sure I could transcribe it all if I really felt like it.

Overall, I scanned in 22 pages: a little over half of the programme. Here is the Imgur album where I have uploaded all of the terrible, terrible fruits of my labour. You may notice the file sizes are quite large. This is because Donna Barr requires the highest quality scans but mostly because I can't be bothered changing the default settings on the scanner. :v: It should contain all 22 pages I scanned and no doubled up images (Imgur was being touchy about uploading 22 images at once).

If anyone wants to make smaller versions of these pictures, turn them into a PDF, or whatever you want to do, go ahead, I will not judge you.

Enjoy :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh wow, that is a lot of people to be involved in this production. I don't know, this is a cake of several tiers. I guess the first shock is that a musical was made, but then you see all the people and all the effort that went in.... I've seen some very strange stage plays, but I think the Desert Peach musical would still have been at the top of the list in that respect.

I mean, the thing about her comics is that reading a comic is usually an isolated activity. It's not hard to hide or avoid mentioning that you have read The Desert Peach, or that you own Barr Girls. But when your photo is in a booklet of you as a Nazi, that seems like a career-killer, doesn't it? Were things that different in the 90s?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wow, she was in the Soviet-American Cartoon Exchange of the late 80s. I wonder what she sent?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pick posted:

Oh wow, that is a lot of people to be involved in this production. I don't know, this is a cake of several tiers. I guess the first shock is that a musical was made, but then you see all the people and all the effort that went in.... I've seen some very strange stage plays, but I think the Desert Peach musical would still have been at the top of the list in that respect.

I mean, the thing about her comics is that reading a comic is usually an isolated activity. It's not hard to hide or avoid mentioning that you have read The Desert Peach, or that you own Barr Girls. But when your photo is in a booklet of you as a Nazi, that seems like a career-killer, doesn't it? Were things that different in the 90s?

This is what I was thinking, too. I wouldn't be thrilled if my full name was published as having bought the musical's programme second-hand; actually having my name and photo attached to the programme as someone who dressed up as a gay Nazi and sang about it would be unthinkable! I can only assume that everyone involved was incredibly passionate about the project, and courageous/foolhardy enough to link it to themselves forever.

It's interesting seeing how long Donna has had the idea of Pfirsich's character floating around in one form or another. She's incredibly attached to him (for good or for ill).

Pick posted:

Wow, she was in the Soviet-American Cartoon Exchange of the late 80s. I wonder what she sent?

There are so many mysteries! I think the whole thing raises more questions than it answers. :D

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.
That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. I got the impression that Donna Barr was pretty big in the underground comic community back in her day, but it's hard to believe people were so into her work they'd put on skits and musical productions about it. Better yet, it was done by the "Mystic Fruitcake Company." Magical.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
As they say in the extensive background to the musical, "Someday these people will be rich and famous, and we will be able to blackmail all of them."

Also, "a fire sale in Dresden" :magical:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Captain Candyblood posted:

That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. I got the impression that Donna Barr was pretty big in the underground comic community back in her day, but it's hard to believe people were so into her work they'd put on skits and musical productions about it. Better yet, it was done by the "Mystic Fruitcake Company." Magical.

Fandom is a bizarre and many-splendored thing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I wouldn't think that people would like Pratchett so much that they would create an absolutely gigantic MUD based on what is essentially a book series prized for being impossible to write down in one place and basically dedicate their lives to maintaining it. But apparently that's a real thing.

Sorry, is this thread dead?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Donna Barr's birthday was yesterday!

I really like the exclamation-pointed shark. :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
There is new... art... over at Afterdead (starts here). This time it takes the form of 25 double pages of sketchbook material and hastily scribbled notes from what appears to be mostly 2007.

It opens with this:
It, uhh, gets better.

A couple of the art pieces have been published on Donna Barr's deviantART account, but not all of them.

It includes mostly side and background characters and the requisite Pfirsich. No gunbirds, no Udo. Alas.

There are about as many rollerskates, naked dicks, swastikas, naked boobs, and horses as you'd expect to see if you're following this thread, so you can assume it's all :nws: until you have determined otherwise.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Absolutely love her unpredictability and the freeness of her artwork. And man, does she ever draw good horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pick posted:

Absolutely love her unpredictability and the freeness of her artwork. And man, does she ever draw good horses.

I vastly prefer it, artistically, to... whatever it is that happens when she scans and colours Afterdead. Though I guess if she likes playing with eye-searing gradients and does it for that effect deliberately that is her choice to do.

• Locked thread