Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

dexter6 posted:

Have you guys tried couples therapy?

Not as of yet, but we have talked about it. We are each in therapy separately, I was going to ask my therapist if there is anyone they can recommend.

edit:

VVV thanks

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There's a breakup megathread in e/n, or a relationship one

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Not as of yet, but we have talked about it. We are each in therapy separately, I was going to ask my therapist if there is anyone they can recommend.
My therapist works in an office with several others, and when she does couples therapy, she brings in the other person in the couple, along with another therapist. It was super cool having the four people in one room, because each person felt like they had an advocate and someone on their side.

Anyway, good luck.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you're going to cheat again take a Lyft. Much cheaper than an apartment.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm not going to encourage you to head for divorce or anything, and do seek out couples therapy. But as a child from divorce at a young age (6), it is the best decision they made wrt to me. I didn't have to endure years of bitter parents sniping at each other that some of my friends have experienced.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zedd posted:

I'm not going to encourage you to head for divorce or anything, and do seek out couples therapy. But as a child from divorce at a young age (6), it is the best decision they made wrt to me. I didn't have to endure years of bitter parents sniping at each other that some of my friends have experienced.

Yeah, as a little kid I could tell that my parents weren't happy together. Seeing them clearly resenting each other all the time was more confusing than helpful. When they finally split, it came off to me like they'd wasted so much time for 20 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
my parents never divorced but they came extremely close multiple times and I wish they had because maybe it would’ve saved us from enduring my mom’s emotional and verbal abuse for another 10+ years anyway that’s my divorce story

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

my parents never divorced but they came extremely close multiple times and I wish they had because maybe it would’ve saved us from enduring my mom’s emotional and verbal abuse for another 10+ years anyway that’s my divorce story

My mom and stepdad got divorced after 13 years of marriage, and separated after 11. I was about 14 when they separated, and I don't know how my stepdad stood her for so many years. Once he was gone, I not only got my dose of psychological and physical, but his as well. Luckily I was bigger than my mom and started wrestling freshman year of high school, so the physical poo poo became less of an occurrence, but when it came up, it involved entire tree branches or baseball bats. I still talk to my stepdad, but I haven't seen my mom since 2001, and I plan to keep it that way. If it's that type of situation, try and take the kids with you, even if they aren't yours by blood.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SnatchRabbit posted:

edit:

VVV thanks

Yeah breakup thread is a great resource.

And couples counselling is always a good idea in this situation. Maybe you figure out that you can make things work. Maybe you figure out that divorce is the best path. Either way you have a neutral third party mediating and making sure you're both on the same page, and there really is no downside to that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner told me that there are more affordable but not so Facebook-bragging-photogenic options when it comes to pregnancy tests, ones that involve sticking a plain strip into a cup. My sleep-deprived Google skills are not finding what they are talking about. Does anyone know what this product could be?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

My partner told me that there are more affordable but not so Facebook-bragging-photogenic options when it comes to pregnancy tests, ones that involve sticking a plain strip into a cup. My sleep-deprived Google skills are not finding what they are talking about. Does anyone know what this product could be?

Like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PREGMATE-20-Pregnancy-Test-Strips-20-Count/870639934

Just search for “pregnancy test strip”

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Can anyone point me towards resources on sub/dom stuff (safety, establishing boundaries, what's out there etc) that aren't weird and regressive?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Those are great for verifying and way cheaper.

You can also grab the ovulation strips if you're trying, since tracking apps are poo poo.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Marx Headroom posted:

Can anyone point me towards resources on sub/dom stuff (safety, establishing boundaries, what's out there etc) that aren't weird and regressive?

I think there might be some links in my post history for this thread but I'm not 100%.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Marx Headroom posted:

The New Topping and The New Bottoming books are a decent entry point. Fetlife also has some decent info buried in their forums. You could also look for local groups. Here in the DMV, we have The Black Rose.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also the two acronyms to search for are SSC (safe, sane, consensual) and RACK (risk-aware consensual kink). There are philosophical differences, but you should find good resources associated with both.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There's endless wank about the tiny difference between SSC and RACK, but imo that does a lot of work to cover up the totally nonconsensual stuff happening in the community.

You should know what you're doing and what the risks are, and do everything you can to minimize them. Same for your partner. And you should both communicate and be enthusiastically on board with whatever's going to happen.

Anything beyond that is just pointless squabbling with some guy in a utilikilt. I wouldn't bother digging into the concepts themselves nearly as much as I would prioritize learning about the risks of your thing, how to mitigate them, and any skills involved.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Also be aware that knowing the risks doesn't mean that they can be mitigated.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I can't think of any risk that couldn't be mitigated. If you're doing fireplay, you can keep an extinguisher nearby and make sure it's safe to use around people. If you're choking, you can do it for only a couple seconds. If you're doing bloodplay, you can keep cuts small and know a lot about first aid. I can't think of anything that's like "it's risky anyway so just do whatever"

Risks can't be eliminated, but that's different, obviously.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hey sex thread, it’s another episode of “Nessa makes bad decisions.”

So, only a few weeks after I said it was okay for my husband to text my best friend (we host D&D at our place), my husband asked me if it was okay for him to be physically intimate with her. She has a long term boyfriend who we also play D&D with, but they have an open relationship. I haven’t had sex with my husband since March since I’m the primary caregiver for our now 14 month old baby. I had gone months without a sexual thought crossing my mind, so I said yes, as to not deprive him of sexual experiences.

Now both me and my friend are bi and it seems like she would like to be intimate with me as well, but I’m not sure if I’m into her in that way. The first time we were all alone together after baby went to bed, we cuddled up on the couch together and I just felt nothing. I feel like I’ve been asexual for the better part of the last year. They were apparently ready for a threesome, but I was tired and didn’t feel anything, so I just went to bed early while they stayed up and talked (and I presume other stuff).

My husband gave me some time to think about things so we could set some boundaries. I decided to slow things down a bit and we determined what would be off limits and how much they can do in front of me. I wanted full disclosure so we could be as open and honest as possible, but my husband just wanted some rules in place instead, so we went with that.

Last night they went into the basement and did “something” while I put the baby to bed. Again, I was super tired and just watched a few shows with them afterwards before going to bed at 8:30. I’m fine with the whole thing, but kinda bummed that I feel no desire to participate. My husband and my friend are both worried about me. The whole situation also brings up a lot of painful memories and reminds me of the mistakes I made, but I can handle it. I spent a lot of time with my therapist working on thought stopping. I also worked on setting boundaries with friends so an affair would never happen again, so maybe that’s why I can’t see myself being intimate with her. I also distanced myself emotionally from her a while ago because I would get too upset when she would constantly cancel plans for us. I was too invested in the friendship, so I backed off for my own well-being.

Now everything is just kinda weird and I don’t know what will happen. I’m not worried about my marriage at all. I just wish I could enjoy this thing that I had once fantasized about. I don’t know how to make it not awkward.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

FWIW I'm not seeing any bad decisions there. It sounds like you're all communicating and being respectful of each other's boundaries.

The challenges you're facing are:

1) You're not feeling sexual post-partum, but you feel like you should be.

2) You feel like you should be wanting to have sex with your friend, but you don't.

These are rooted in things you're feeling, not in decisions you've made, and there are no "wrong" feelings.

For 1), the question is whether you're happy with your current level of sexual desire (ie you are asexual, which is totally OK), or whether it's something you want to work on. If you figure out you're asexual, then you need to talk with your husband about how your relationship will work, how you'll maintain intimacy in non-sexual ways, what your boundaries are around him finding sexual gratification, etc.

If it's something you want to work on, it might be a good idea to look for a therapist who specializes in post-partum sex stuff. Also, here's an article with generally good information:

https://www.allure.com/story/low-postpartum-sex-drive-or-hsdd

For 2), it sounds like you need to talk through your trust issues with your friend, and try to re-build some trust. If she's being intimate with your husband, and you're relying on them to abide by the boundaries you've set, you will really need to do this. And, maybe you're just not sexually attracted to her in particular, which is totally OK?

Also it sounds like you have some past trauma around group sex and open relationships, so it's probably a good idea to talk through that and have a lot of check-ins with your husband and friend. (I'm sure you're probably doing that?) And maybe group sex just isn't for you, which is also OK?

Either way, you're not doing anything wrong, and it's OK to not want a threesome with your friend even if it's something you fantasized about years ago.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Hey Nessa,

Not sure how directly related to your post this is, but thought I'd say that Thought Stopping is something that (evidence-based) therapists shy away from nowadays, because the research evidence suggests that for most people it either doesn't help or makes unpleasant thoughts worse.

It's unclear if you don't struggle with those thoughts any more (awesome if that's the case) but if you're still struggling and 'failing', you're not a failure - you've just been given bad tools. Might be helpful to find a therapist to talk through the current situation with?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For 1), the question is whether you're happy with your current level of sexual desire (ie you are asexual, which is totally OK), or whether it's something you want to work on. If you figure out you're asexual, then you need to talk with your husband about how your relationship will work, how you'll maintain intimacy in non-sexual ways, what your boundaries are around him finding sexual gratification, etc.

If it's something you want to work on, it might be a good idea to look for a therapist who specializes in post-partum sex stuff. Also, here's an article with generally good information:

https://www.allure.com/story/low-postpartum-sex-drive-or-hsdd

I suppose I was happy until now, as my husband hadn’t been pressuring me. I’ve just been so busy taking care of a toddler that not thinking of sex has kind of been a boon. But now there’s something I’m missing out on, so I want to be a sexual person again.

quote:

For 2), it sounds like you need to talk through your trust issues with your friend, and try to re-build some trust. If she's being intimate with your husband, and you're relying on them to abide by the boundaries you've set, you will really need to do this. And, maybe you're just not sexually attracted to her in particular, which is totally OK?

Also it sounds like you have some past trauma around group sex and open relationships, so it's probably a good idea to talk through that and have a lot of check-ins with your husband and friend. (I'm sure you're probably doing that?) And maybe group sex just isn't for you, which is also OK?

Either way, you're not doing anything wrong, and it's OK to not want a threesome with your friend even if it's something you fantasized about years ago.

I don’t have any trust issues with my friend. She would cancel plans a lot due to her MS and having either bad pain days or a bad emotional day when I had been looking forward to seeing my only friend. At the time, hanging out with her was something I looked forward to for weeks, so I’d get really down when she’d have to repeatedly cancel our plans.

I do have past trauma and have been doing a lot of check-ins with the both of them. My very first relationship was being my best friend’s boyfriend’s second girlfriend when I was 17 and religious. It was easy for me to ignore the sexual part of their relationship, so when I walked in on them one day, it kind of broke my naive little brain. I left the relationship a couple months later. They were both at my wedding!

I’ve never fantasized about being with this particular friend, but rather just a threesome with another girl who I liked and trusted as I’ve never had an opportunity to explore my bisexuality before. One suddenly falls into my lap and now I don’t want it? Am I even bi like I thought I was?

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Hey Nessa,

Not sure how directly related to your post this is, but thought I'd say that Thought Stopping is something that (evidence-based) therapists shy away from nowadays, because the research evidence suggests that for most people it either doesn't help or makes unpleasant thoughts worse.

It's unclear if you don't struggle with those thoughts any more (awesome if that's the case) but if you're still struggling and 'failing', you're not a failure - you've just been given bad tools. Might be helpful to find a therapist to talk through the current situation with?

Thank you, I did not know that! I used to have intrusive suicidal thoughts and worked with several different therapists regarding them. The only ones I’ve had lately have been thoughts of my prior affair partner and how much I miss him. This whole situation makes me think of him more because I think of how different it would have been if I had just been open with my husband instead of sneaking around for 3 months. I was just too scared to be open with him and it cost me almost everything. Many times I’ve just had to go “just stop thinking about it, just don’t think about it…” to avoid being sad. I still have to sleep with a video on to keep thoughts like that from filling my head while I’m falling asleep.

I really like my therapist, who helped us after my affair and with some postpartum depression issues, but I really can’t afford to see her again right now, what with Christmas and us suddenly having to buy a new car.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Hey Nessa,

Dude, don't tell people to not listen to their therapists!

A therapist trumps "some rando from the internet who listened to a podcast or read an article one time".

I'm particularly coming down on you because therapists I've seen (clinical psychologists, as it happens) also taught me thought stopping, and it was tremendously helpful for me in some pretty dire circumstances.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Hyperlynx posted:

Dude, don't tell people to not listen to their therapists!

A therapist trumps "some rando from the internet who listened to a podcast or read an article one time".

I'm particularly coming down on you because therapists I've seen (clinical psychologists, as it happens) also taught me thought stopping, and it was tremendously helpful for me in some pretty dire circumstances.

Good thing that I'm not some rando, but instead am a clinical psychologist, specifically one who's pretty critical of colleagues who keep pushing out outdated, non-evidence-based interventions that they learned a decade or two ago and never updated their knowledge of.

Like, even a Google of the term "thought stopping" will show multiple pages talking about how it's often harmful and worsens intrusive cognitions.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Good thing that I'm not some rando, but instead am a clinical psychologist, specifically one who's pretty critical of colleagues who keep pushing out outdated, non-evidence-based interventions that they learned a decade or two ago and never updated their knowledge of.

Like, even a Google of the term "thought stopping" will show multiple pages talking about how it's often harmful and worsens intrusive cognitions.

It's not on me to support your case, though, it's on you.

But ok, you're a clinical psychologist, so fine. That's the kind of thing you should mention, it's pretty relevant to the point you're making.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Nessa posted:

I’ve never fantasized about being with this particular friend, but rather just a threesome with another girl who I liked and trusted as I’ve never had an opportunity to explore my bisexuality before. One suddenly falls into my lap and now I don’t want it? Am I even bi like I thought I was?

So there's this heteronormative fallacy that folks who are attracted to folks of the same gender are by default attracted to everyone of that gender. Being bi doesn't mean that you're attracted to every woman. And not feeling sexually attracted to your friend just means you're not attracted to her in particular. It does not in any way preclude you from being bi.

Also it's great to have an abstract fantasy about having a bi threesome, and be interested in trying one if the right situation arises. But it's a bad idea to try to force having one with people you don't find sexually attractive just because the opportunity has come up. That is not a recipe for a fun time.

So by saying no to the threesome, you did right by yourself. You honoured your feelings and held your boundaries. Seriously. You should pat yourself on the back or something.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

FetLife's only redeeming quality is that it makes finding your local groups and events relatively easy. You can just type in your city under the events tab and search from there.

If you are looking for sub/dom relationship resources, I would check to see if you have a local M.A.s.T. chapter at https://www.mast.net/chapters.php. Even if you are not looking for a 24/7 D/s relationship, these would be the people who could point you in the right direction of what you want.

I also have a lot of non-fiction book recommendations on the subject of D/s relationships if anyone is curious.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm very curious about poly relationships and I'm wondering if anyone could point to some good books. I'm particularly interested in books that go into advice on handling the emotional aspect and boundaries in the relationship. I'd like to have a bit of a roadmap and some tools before understanding if its right for me.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

eSporks posted:

I'm very curious about poly relationships and I'm wondering if anyone could point to some good books. I'm particularly interested in books that go into advice on handling the emotional aspect and boundaries in the relationship. I'd like to have a bit of a roadmap and some tools before understanding if its right for me.

The Ethical Slut is the classic, I found Opening Up by Tristan Taramino to be helpful as well.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xand_Man posted:

The Ethical Slut is the classic, I found Opening Up by Tristan Taramino to be helpful as well.
These are the usual go to's

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
*Taormino (for searchability, not to be a spelling goblin)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Edit: Problem Solved

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 15, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Stop masturbating. Give it like two to three weeks for your dick to adjust to the change in sensations. I've gone through long distance spells with my girlfriend, she's plenty capable of getting me off, but if I've been doing me for a month or two she has to work way harder for it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Hey sex thread, I have some questions about orgasms.

Me and my girlfriend (M/F, both 30~) have been together about 2 1/2 years, monogamous, healthy sexual relationship. We have been long distance the whole time, so generally we see each other 1-2 days on the weekend and that’s it. Typically we’ll have sex once or twice in that time.

Girlfriend is blessed with being able to have a lot of orgasms pretty quickly. She’ll usually orgasm from our oral foreplay, and then maybe 3-4 more times from sex over the next 15-20 minutes. Our sex usually ends when she is just kind of tapped out. It’s pretty easy for me to tell because she gets dry right after (and she tells me she’s done).

On the other hand, I almost never orgasm from sex. I have been like this since I started having sex as a teenager. I’ve had a lot of different partners, and I love having sex, but I just generally don’t orgasm during. With my current and previous partners I usually finish myself off after they are finished.

I think this is probably a combination of my aversion to getting someone pregnant and the fact that I’ve almost exclusively had sex in committed monogamous relationships (so I haven’t used condoms in a long time), and some performance anxiety issues. My first ever partner took a long time to orgasm, sometimes like 30 minutes of oral or intense sex, and (being lovely teenagers we were) would give me a hard time if she didn’t finish. I remember doing kegels and stuff to try and make sure I could last long enough for her. I think I sort of internalized that even though I’ve never had another partner like that.

Because I’m alone all week, I masturbate at least once a day. I have no problems cumming, and it probably only takes me about 30 seconds. I’ll literally look at porn for 2-3 minutes until I see something good, and then after about 30 seconds of stroking I’m done. To me, I mostly do this because it’s just kind of uncomfortable being horny and I can alleviate that feeling easily. Masturbating and sex feel like totally different things to me (which is maybe part of the problem?)

None of this is a problem for me. I love having sex because of the intimacy, and because I want to make my partner feel good. I don’t care if I finish or not, honestly. But my partner is becoming really self conscious because she is blaming herself for it. I can completely empathize because in my last serious relationship my ex could not orgasm from oral or sex, and had to use a vibrator to finish. It was the same situation where she loved sex, but she just couldn’t finish with me.

So tldr: what steps can I take to orgasm faster during sex?

I am circumcised, but I don’t feel like I don’t have enough sensitivity. Girlfriend’s vagina is also plenty tight, so I don’t think that’s an issue. She cannot get pregnant, so there’s no risk of that either.

I have considered stopping masturbating, but the thing is I don’t feel like I’m not horny because I masturbate too much. I can masturbate an hour before she arrives and I’m still real horny and ready to go when she gets here.

Thanks for reading my sex text and for any suggestions.

Oh hey, I see myself so hard in this post. Fwiw I’ve found working at being hornier going into the sexual encounter and being as in the moment/expressive of my enjoyment as I can let myself have been my keys to achieving consistent release from sex.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Trouble cumming

The reason that forgoing masturbation is a typical recommendation for this has nothing to do with horniness; it's that you may have inadvertently trained yourself to cum to only to a very specific set of stimuli; you can do it for yourself no problem but anything besides your typical technique won't work.

Avoiding masturbation temporarily gives you a chance to retrain yourself to respond to different stimuli.

E:FB.

Anything that may help is setting aside a chunk of time w/ your partner where the goal isn't necessarily to cum but simply to focus on sensation and guide your partner through what makes you feel good.
You may end up guiding them through something that mirrors your technique, or you might find an entirely new method :shrug:

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 9, 2022

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Thanks for the tips! I’ll give it a try this week and see if that helps.

The other thing is that I have an apartment that is basically a large studio (no doors besides the bathroom), and I have a very needy and annoying dog. I have a dog gate to my bedroom, and our usual method is to give him a treat that will last 20~ minutes. But the second that’s finished he comes to the gate and SCREAMS. And there’s no way to stop him and nowhere to put him. If I crate him he’s just 20 feet away screaming. He freaks out if he can see me but can’t get to me, especially if I’m doing anything. He’s fine if you m behind a door, but that’s not available currently.

But that’s a whole separate issue. Can’t wait to move and get some doors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Put the dog in the bathroom?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
If you are able to put a dog gate up, can you also tack a blanket up over the doorway as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
just both of you cum really really hard and scream louder than the dog :getin: