Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CrashCat posted:

They can't even allow YouTube on the thing, so this comes as zero surprise.

Youtube works in the browser though? It did when I tried a while ago even if it's kind of dumb.

I assume the "don't take it places with you" could be avoided if you set up a VPN into your home and somehow got the Vita TV to use that, but what an incredible pain in the rear end that'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hmmmm the non-bundle PS TVs are down to $29.99 and the last one left is open box so it's $27. Anyone want to sell me on it when I've already got a Vita? If it covered Netflix it'd be perfect for the bedroom TV, but without I... uh... might use it to alternate playing FFX between my Vita and TV? (Are saves cross platform?)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

BGrifter posted:

Hmmmm the non-bundle PS TVs are down to $29.99 and the last one left is open box so it's $27. Anyone want to sell me on it when I've already got a Vita? If it covered Netflix it'd be perfect for the bedroom TV, but without I... uh... might use it to alternate playing FFX between my Vita and TV? (Are saves cross platform?)

Yes. In fact as long as they are both set up with the same PSN ID you can swap the same memory card between both with no issues.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BGrifter posted:

if nothing else it's the cheapest way to get into the possible future vita homebrew stuff

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dross posted:

Yes. In fact as long as they are both set up with the same PSN ID you can swap the same memory card between both with no issues.

Doesn't PS+ back up your saves online? Feels weird I'd have to sneakernet a memory card around my apartment in TYOOL2015.

Had them put the last one aside for me while I have dinner and think about it. Don't think I really have much use for it but $27 is crazy cheap.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

What's the cheapest place to find a 8gb memory card these days?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Doesn't PS+ back up your saves online? Feels weird I'd have to sneakernet a memory card around my apartment in TYOOL2015.

Had them put the last one aside for me while I have dinner and think about it. Don't think I really have much use for it but $27 is crazy cheap.

Yes, but I can't afford another memory card so that's what I do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, two of the "from PS3" transfer games, Sega Genesis Collection and Gradius Collection, don't work on PSTV. I have a sneaking suspicion the two Capcom PSP Collections are the same but I don't own them, can anyone who does confirm?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

univbee posted:

Dang, two of the "from PS3" transfer games, Sega Genesis Collection and Gradius Collection, don't work on PSTV. I have a sneaking suspicion the two Capcom PSP Collections are the same but I don't own them, can anyone who does confirm?

gently caress give me a bit and i will check for you man

edit: ok so they have to be transferred from a PS3 and my poo poo is packed up from the move and its not on my Vita atm sorry man

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 18, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks again N4B for PM'ing me and confirming those games work.

We also finally got a bit of good news, as a small selection of western games have received patches adding PSTV support recently:

Disgaea 3
Helldivers
Kick & Fennick
Orgarhythm, apparently?

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 22, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Was not expecting D3.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I think the Capcom PSP collections work normally in Euroland - I'm pretty sure I just downloaded and played them.

It's still totally bananas to me that some regions just let you do it the sane and sensible way and others make you jump through ridiculous hoops using entirely separate consoles.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Was not expecting D3.

The Japanese version has worked for a while, and it was given away as a PS+ game in NA, so I'm glad they did. Now I'm ready to get started on the series again (hit a wall in D2 when my Adell couldn't solo a mission, gotta level up some mages).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Resurrecting this, as the Sony Store has the PSTV on mega-clearance.

The basic device is only $19.99 and the bundle with a Dualshock 3 and 8 gig memory card and Lego Movie Videogame DL voucher is $39.99.

Basic unit:
http://store.sony.com/playstation-tv-zid27-PSTV3000413/cat-27-catid-All-PlayStation-TV?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Dualshock bundle:
http://store.sony.com/playstation-tv-dualshock-3-bundle-zid27-PSTV3000468/cat-27-catid-All-PlayStation-TV?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

univbee posted:

Resurrecting this, as the Sony Store has the PSTV on mega-clearance.

The basic device is only $19.99 and the bundle with a Dualshock 3 and 8 gig memory card and Lego Movie Videogame DL voucher is $39.99.

Basic unit:
http://store.sony.com/playstation-tv-zid27-PSTV3000413/cat-27-catid-All-PlayStation-TV?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Dualshock bundle:
http://store.sony.com/playstation-tv-dualshock-3-bundle-zid27-PSTV3000468/cat-27-catid-All-PlayStation-TV?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Thanks for this, finally jumped on it :hellyeah:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So how likely am I to be able to run homebrew stuff on one of the sony store ones? I bought a used one at Gamestop a month or two back but returned it because it was 3.51 and I couldn't do anything Sony didn't want me to do on it.

Edit: never mind! Looks like the $20 deal is gone!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 27, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The console more or less can't play the system's best games, which is a shame. Tearaway, Gravity Rush and Celceta deserve to be experienced by anyone who owns a Vita of any kind. It's made even worse by the fact that Falcom openly refused to give us an English patch for Celceta.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Slur posted:

The console more or less can't play the system's best games, which is a shame. Tearaway, Gravity Rush and Celceta deserve to be experienced by anyone who owns a Vita of any kind. It's made even worse by the fact that Falcom openly refused to give us an English patch for Celceta.

Oh poo poo they actually refused? When did that happen?

Incidentally something I discovered yesterday: if local remote play (or remote play in general) isn't working as well as you'd like, try changing your DNS to Google's servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and see if that improves things. It made a HUGE difference for me, although I'm using Unblock US on my local network which I think had something to do with it. Also good for download speeds.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they've never actually flat out refused i don't think, it's just obvious at this point they don't care and aren't going to do it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Is there a list of Vita games that don't normally work on the Vita TV? I only ask because of the whitelist hack

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Is there a list of Vita games that don't normally work on the Vita TV? I only ask because of the whitelist hack

https://physicalgames.wordpress.com/pstv/

A few of those games will probably crash or not be completable due to a lack of Vita camera. Probably the best games from that list are Ys: Memories of Celceta and Wipeout 2048. With a full account bind there's also some PSP game options: Metal Gear Peace Walker, Sega Genesis Collection, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I still can't launch SFxT without an error message but Peace Walker works fine

kinda irks me since that's what Mr.Gas used to show it off

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seems like the new 3.55 update released today kills the exploit. Oh well.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

univbee posted:

Seems like the new 3.55 update released today kills the exploit. Oh well.

Look who is never going to update his vita TV again?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Slur posted:

Look who is never going to update his vita TV again?

It's Sony.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have a spare PSTV and am hoping there's still sufficient connectivity for me to de-whitelist my existing unit and convert the other unit into my "main" unit. I only want to unlock two games anyway.

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

univbee posted:

I have a spare PSTV and am hoping there's still sufficient connectivity for me to de-whitelist my existing unit and convert the other unit into my "main" unit. I only want to unlock two games anyway.

I would like an update on this.

I read about the exploit but got lazy and didnt actually do it - now Im worried I can't set up the email client and download the email without updating firmware...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'll see if I can do it tonight but I have a ridiculously busy week&weekend and can't guarantee it, especially since at this point it's either doable or not doable so I'm not in a huge rush. But either way you'll want to suss out what games you actually want to play which are locked, because I can only really think of 2. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to directly download anything so you'll need physical copies of the games you want, but if you have some other Vita device or a PS3 maybe you can sneak things on there via content manager?

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

univbee posted:

I'll see if I can do it tonight but I have a ridiculously busy week&weekend and can't guarantee it, especially since at this point it's either doable or not doable so I'm not in a huge rush. But either way you'll want to suss out what games you actually want to play which are locked, because I can only really think of 2. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to directly download anything so you'll need physical copies of the games you want, but if you have some other Vita device or a PS3 maybe you can sneak things on there via content manager?

Oh crap - you're right. Even if I can get the exploit on, I guess I can't really download/install anything without updating...

edit: do have a vita and ps3 though - gonna take a lot of testing to see if it can work in some way

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

There was some rumor in the other thread of being able to block out the whitelist servers, if you could somehow block out the patch server as well maybe you could convince it to let you into email or even connect to CMA on your PC. I don't think I'm capable of the gymnastics to find the answer to that on lovely modder forums though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Good news is the shizz still works if you have a PSTV on a lower firmware since email seems to be its own separate thing that doesn't care about PSN versions. Bad news is I don't think you can do anything about activating/deactivating for digital stuff without updating. Maybe with Vita Update Blocker? I'm not sure. But it worked on my launch PSTV which had been my main and on 3.52. So now it just has an Ys physical card in it and I have a fresh PSTV I updated.

You can apparently block the whitelist servers at the firmware level and this hack does persist through 3.55 if you do this, but if it ever sneaks in that's it, no backsies, so be warned if this is a big deal for you. Just beat Ys on the big screen and be done with it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Can you even move games via Content Manager Assistant without an Internet connection?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dross posted:

Can you even move games via Content Manager Assistant without an Internet connection?

Not with the official Content Manager Assistant, but I think you can with QCMA. Whether that will actually work correctly I don't know, I've been loving up a lot of personal technical stuff lately (e.g. accidentally formatted a full 2TB drive :doh:) and since I got an isolated offline PSTV which is working I'm not going to gently caress with it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Turns out the PS TV update 3.55 isn't just for the exploit:

- PS4 Link You can now adjust the setting for video resolution when using remote play on a PS Vita system. Select (PS4 Link) > [Start] > (Options) > [Settings] > [Video Quality for Remote Play] > [Resolution]. If video or audio skips during playback, try selecting [Low (360p)] to help improve the quality.

- Parental Controls: You can now restrict (Email) from starting.

- To recap: 3.55 blocks writing & dumping via eml “email hack” but anything already there like whitelist bypass, themes & bubbles still work.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Base model is on sale for :20bux: at Best Buy this week. Sold out at this time, who knows if they'll put up more.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 23, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there any cool poo poo I can do with a PS TV on 3.35 or should I just find a way to update to 3.52?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Is there any cool poo poo I can do with a PS TV on 3.35 or should I just find a way to update to 3.52?

Not really, no. I'm not sure if installing an older firmware is doable either.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's virtually no reason to buy a PSTV for homebrew anyways. An Ouya, Fire TV, or any other set top android box paired with a controller (even a Dual Shock 3) would have far more features aside from "Plays PSVita games." There's an Android PSP emulator running full speed, and the Sony Xperia PS4 remote play app was hacked to run on any device. Also, once you consider an acceptable amount of memory card space, the price advantage is lost. 16GB is $40 and the 32GB is $80 with used prices being ~$10 less.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 23, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I managed to get a free 8GB card which is good enough for me, I don't give a gently caress right now.

As far as using a Vita TV to play Personal 4 Golden, should I just update to 3.55 and use that Minima Iyar or whatever game to install TV N11 or also whatever to play PSN and PSP games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dehry posted:

There's virtually no reason to buy a PSTV for homebrew anyways. An Ouya, Fire TV, or any other set top android box paired with a controller (even a Dual Shock 3) would have far more features aside from "Plays PSVita games." There's an Android PSP emulator running full speed, and the Sony Xperia PS4 remote play app was hacked to run on any device. Also, once you consider an acceptable amount of memory card space, the price advantage is lost. 16GB is $40 and the 32GB is $80 with used prices being ~$10 less.

Yeah I just got a Shield TV, which might be a lot more expensive than a Vita TV, but it can do PSP full speed and a ton of other stuff. Also, I threw a 3 tb hard drive on the Shield, and it cost as much as a 64 gb Vita memory card. :v:

I wanted to get another Vita TV to hack and do homebrew on, but meh.

• Locked thread