Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
So I picked up one last week on a whim with a new ds4. After I figured out how to turn wifi streaming off and steam over Ethernet, I can safely say it is really good.

I played all of costume quest 2 on it and I never felt the lag to be there at all, I was able to do the timed button press without issue.

I guess the real test will be how well it streams LBP3 next week. Hopefully I won't have to lug my ps4 between floors anymore.

Also the thing is tiny!!! At first I thought mine was missing from the box because I didn't see it tucked in the bottom part in the white sleeve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Agrias120 posted:

I've had my Vita TV since launch and I bounce back and forth between loving it (when I am playing a game I already downloaded/confirmed to work) to hating it (when I browse the hosed up store, or try to navigate the labyrinth that is what actually is or is not compatible).

That being said, can anyone actually confirm for me if the Vita TV uses a wired connection for Remote Play with a PS4? Both my PS4 and Vita TV are hardwired (and only separated by a single wall--they're seriously almost 3.5 feet apart from one another) and I noticed the same somewhat-crappy-but-not-bad-depending-on-the-game input lag. I decided to test out wireless and see how much worse it would be and didn't notice any difference, which could just be because of their proximity to one another. But then I noticed something--even if you have the Vita TV wired to your LAN, when you initiate the Remote Play application, it gets rid of the LAN Connection icon in the Vita TV's Status Bar and replaces it with a Wireless Connection Strength icon.

I don't think this is just a clumsy way of displaying connection strength, because I can have a full 3 bars and still see the "oh crap your connection is bad for a minute, hold tight" overlay icon that you get sometimes. Can anyone else confirm this/has anyone else noticed this behavior when trying to initiate Remote Play with a wired connection? It seems like the Vita TV doesn't even use your wired connection for Remote Play, it shuts down that connection and chooses to use wireless instead (which fits in with the, "gently caress just rush this poo poo out the door" mentality of the system, since it would just default to the only method of connection the Vita would know).

You can tell your PS4 not to create its own wifi, then remote streaming will only use your LAN (or lan over wireless of your PTV isn't hardwired). It took me a few days to figure that out.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/70383049

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Crap! Quote != edit

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

edit 2: Direct connection is more delayed and looks worse, but doesn't have the constant hitching. Instead it just randomly drops out for a few seconds at a time now and then. So I'm probably not going to be using either mode, but I would probably go with the LAN connect and take the small hitches if I had to choose. I never put in any wifi credentials but it definitely switched to a wifi symbol when I used direct connect.

The ps4 emits its own wifi with the direct connection available. I picked it up a few times on my iPad. Now that I turned it off I don't see it any more.

Is your network 100 or gigabit? Mine is gigabit.

• Locked thread