Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

I just got done playing some Puyo Puyo Tetris on my Vita TV. Even though you have to use the Dual shock 3, I think it controls better and is more fun to play than on the Vita itself. Some games like that transfer very well to the system, where others, like Touch my Katamari, work better on the Vita itself since it was originally ment for it. I do like playing all of my Vita games on it though. It's much easier to play the PS1/PC Engine game archive stuff with a DS3 as well.

I just wish they revamp the UI to make it work for TVs and actually get more real streaming apps. Youtube is still not supported, and nearly all of the Japanese streaming sites besides NicoNico and Hulu are HTML App wrappers and total poo poo. Not to mention really expensive to use if you actually want to watch something with them.. The music app "works", but unlike the PS3 it does not use any visualizations when playing songs. Now, My bedroom TV is an old Vizio plasma. It does retain images if they are static on the screen. So for media playback, it's a bit crap. It does work, but you're probably not going to do too much with it.

Basically, if you don't have a HK account and want to roll the dice on English games, nor have a Japanese account and some knowledge of Japanese, it's not worth importing. Now if it actually comes out in America... well, I'm still not sure. If you want a good, cheap media box, just buy an Apple TV or a Chromecast. This is nice for games, but don't expect it to replace those other media players. At least not yet. As long as you are going in knowing these faults and are okay with it, it does play games just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Huh, I didn't even think to try this. Does a DS4 for-sure not work on the VitaTV? I'll try it when I get home.

I did try it when I got it, and it did not work. Maybe it does now though? All of the averts for it show the PS4 stuff being played with a DS3 though, so .

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

The NHK On Demand "App" was released a few days ago. It's another loving web app . For something really wanting to be a media device, it sure does a lovely job at it! Who the gently caress wants to fuss with a DS3 trying to get the crappy web browser to work so they can watch a show, when they can just get there iPhone and airplay the same thing over. At least try to give me a good experience, not a stupid web app man.

Not like it matters much. NHK charges around 100 yen an episode or so, and there is nothing I really have to watch. But still, it's the principle of the thing drat it.

Oh yeah, there is also a one month free campaign going on for Hulu. You can download the app and get your code from there (or sign up directly in the app). And they take Paypal so if you like it you don't even need to use a Japanese credit card. Note that you still need a VPN. Hulu in Japan is not nearly as bad as the other streaming services, in that it's by far the cheapest at $10 a month.

Not sure anyone will care, considering that I'm pretty sure univbee is the only other person to import one. But hey.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

The new 3.10 firmware is out now for the Vita and Vita TV. It's the same for both systems but the Vita TV gets one big extra feature. First, it still does not have PS4 link (), but it finally has DualShock 4 support. Support for it is pretty basic (I.E, the touchpad is not supported), but I just tried it in a few games and it works fine.

Still though, no PS4 link, no remote play. The one thing I really want to try, the one thing they really advertised, and it's still not there yet.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

More to the point, it works wirelessly. This is a pretty sweet upgrade, except now I need to scrounge up another DS4. Also they need to release more DS4 colors.

I also lied. The touchpad does not work on the home screen. It DOES work in games and apps though that support the thumbsticks as touchpad controls. Oops.

EDIT: It works the same as the two thumbsticks, more or less. It does use multitouch. Man, I could not have been more wrong .

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 26, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

With the new update pushed out today, we finally got remote play on the Vita TV!

Overall I would say it works quite well. It's the same as you would get on the Vita itself, except now you can use a DS3 or DS4. And of course play it on your TV .

The video quality does take a hit, but I could see myself setting it up on a smaller 720p TV and having it be quite useful. Hell, the Vita TV has more media capability than the PS4 right now (which is saying something), so I could always remote play into the PS4 to play a game, then switch out to watch something on Nico video. Which is pretty cool.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Nice. You can only do it with your Vita TV's bound account, though, right?

It's the same as the normal Vita, so I think that's the case.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

The_Frag_Man posted:

It sounds like remote play doesn't work in 1080p? Would it ever be possible to have it work in 1080p? I guess it's not that big of a deal..

The Vita TV does not output in 1080p. The max is 1080i, and I think the actual video feed is 720p, but I'm not sure. I mean, it looked fine, but switching between the two you can really see the difference.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

The_Frag_Man posted:

I can't help you with your list but I'm glad you're maintaining the thread.
I wonder if we'll hear about a US/English release of the Vita TV at E3?
Personally I think the Vita TV is a dud unless it can at least display/stream video at 1080p..

univbee do you get much use out of your Vita TV?

The chances are pretty slim to me. It's not selling that well in Japan, where it's really only beating the Xbox 360, and that's not saying much. The Vita TVs existence is really dependent on Apple at this point. I'm pretty sure it only exists because Sony thought Apple was going to start pushing the Apple TV into games, which they have heavily hint at, but have yet to commit to. I could see Sony start putting real effort back into the Vita TV if Apple actually did start pushing games and the Apple TV more.

Or maybe they're changing the UI for a NA release to make it pleasant to use .

I still use my Vita TV, but it's mostly for NicoNico since it works with my premium subscription and timeshift stuff.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

That's a much better library than something like a new Apple TV is likely to provide.

True, but people buy Apple TVs right now because their media support is insanely good; especially if you have an iPhone or iPad. The Vita TV, with its HTML streaming apps and horrible UI just can't compete with it on that front. It does not do much else right beyond games. Of course, those in this forum probably only care about that, so the other points are irrelevant. But for the general public, I can't see them looking at the Vita/PlayStation TV over something like an Apple TV.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Not sure if there's any truth to this, but apparently it will be possible to seamlessly swap the same card between the Playstation TV and an actual Vita if they're both bound to the same account. That's pretty cool if true.

Every time I've done it (From my Japanese Vita to Vita Tv), it had to reload the cards database, and all the folder contents got dumped. It did work though, so .

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Touch my Katamari does not work

As I said before, it works on the Japanese version on my Vita TV, but it was patched. So I'm guessing they never patched it here.

Also the only video app I can use (beyond the lovely HTML wrapper ones) is NicoVideo. They never got around to Youtube, so I doubt they will now.

Rirse posted:

univbee, could you test out controller options for the PS1 games. I mentioned it before, but I am curious if it lets you remap buttons and assign the dpad to the analog stick like the Vita does. I loved that option on the Vita, as by default a lot of the pre-DualShock 1 games don't let you use the analog stick for movement on the PS3 for example. Also it handy for those weird games that didn't get the Confirm/Cancel buttons swapped on the English release.

If I recall (I don't have my Vita TV with me, it's stuck back at my parents house in Albany, forgot to bring it with me) it will let you. Same with PSP games.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

SubponticatePoster posted:

My PSTV is here, I kinda forgot I ordered it. Holy poo poo, this thing is tiny. I'll set it up in my bedroom for some remote play and for watching movies - somebody said Netflix app doesn't work?

Netflix and Youtube don't work. Basically if you want to do anything else besides play games on it, you'll probably be disappointed.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Using physical games with this thing must be a pain in the rear end, with the tiny tiny cards and the slot all the way on the back surrounded by cable inputs.

The back slot is for the memory card, you input game cards on the side. Or at least, I think you do, I only buy them digitally.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

So Sony is releasing a new firmware for Japanese Vita TVs, and boy is it a big upgrade: It's changing all references of "PS Vita TV" and "PlayStation Vita TV" and making it just "PlayStation TV" and "PS TV".

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

That patch is from three weeks ago or so.

It was? Well, I just saw it pop up today. That's what happens when I don't use my Vita TV .

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm kind of confused, are all the PSOne classics compatible with the PSTV? I'm looking on the supported games list and I want to get Metal Gear Solid, but it only lists Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, which seems weird to me.

My copy of MGS works, but it's the Japanese version on a Vita TV so .

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

mrEkli posted:

Aren't these stuck with O for confirm and X for cancel?

Yeah, for whatever reason that is region locked.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

univbee posted:

Huh, never even considered this. I think their online manual is technically correct because they're only accounting for U.S. models which are all shipped with 3.18.

I'll add this heads-up to the OP.

To be fair to Sony, they do have models that come with a white DS3 and memory card. The bare model are for those who already have them.

Still can't wait to see how much it sold last week because of this deal. I'm guessing 800 total.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

The_Frag_Man posted:

Are you guys saying they sold under 800 units per week? Really? That's the floppiest flop to ever flop.

It's been selling about that every week since launch. That's mostly the reason why the held off on releasing it elsewhere; they were trying to think of other ways to sell the thing.

Which they failed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!

Nap Ghost

I will say this: I still use mine for Vita/Game archive games from time to time. I've used it to play multiplayer Bomberman 93' and it worked great. I've never touched it as a media device after initially testing it (Although the naspocket app did work better than I expected, it's still not as good as nearly all over media players). The HTML wrappers for those video services have never been updated and are still the same poo poo that has been there since the system launched.

Buy it if you want to play Vita/PSP/Other games on the TV. Don't buy it for anything else.

• Locked thread