Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Is there no way to use headphones with the Vita TV at all? I've been thinking all day of how I might do that but I still have no clue. I was all excited when I saw that PS4 controllers were supported, but not the microphone jack it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

I can think of a few ways but yeah, they're way more complex than they should be. Ultimately you need to get the audio out from the HDMI to some format your headset can deal with. Some TV sets will output to optical, which is supported by some wireless headsets, you can also get powered boxes like HDMI splitters that will breakout the audio to optical or some form of analog.
I'm using a Sony Gold headset, you'd think they would have made some kind of accommodation for headsets like that since the Vita TV has a USB port right in it. It's not worth spending money on all that other stuff for; I don't use the Vita TV very much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japan-only, also on iOS/Android/PC)
Not totally relevant, but the Android/iOS version isn't the same game as the Vita/PC version.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Another update and still no sign of support for Sony branded headsets, or the headset port on PS4 controllers. That's just a ridiculous oversight if you ask me.

edit: and PSO2 doesn't support it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 4, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Can anyone confirm/deny that the one that will be launched in North America is the same hardware as the Japanese one that I have?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

I do hope the Playstation TV does have the option to remap buttons on the PS1 games. I saw video of someone using the Vita TV with a PS1 game, and it had the lame PS3 options of "analog and digital".
I don't understand. PS3 and 4 controllers are almost identical in layout to a PS1 controller. Why would you want to remap?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Y'all gotta remember that this thing was developed simply as an apology for Japan getting the PS4 four months later than the West. I don't think we can expect much support from it in general.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

XboxPants posted:

I know Japanese business culture is very different from ours, but I don't see how this makes sense. They're making high-level business decisions based on their Japanese Honor for mistreating their consumers? Is there something the Sony people have said to indicate this?

Even if it really is supposed to be an apology, I don't see how it'd improve their PR standing, since it's not like it's something anyone wanted over there anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it probably won't see much support (especially in the US) but it doesn't really make sense to me as an "apology", since it doesn't really make up for the PS4 delay in any way.
They needed something to release in Japan at the same time as the PS4 was being released elsewhere, and they didn't want to spend much time or money on it. The result of that decision is the Vita TV.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I had no idea any PSP games didn't work. That's all I use the thing for right now (that is to say, Super Robot Wars Z2-1 and Z2-2, which still look pretty badass on a big screen).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Using physical games with this thing must be a pain in the rear end, with the tiny tiny cards and the slot all the way on the back surrounded by cable inputs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Drastic Actions posted:

The back slot is for the memory card, you input game cards on the side. Or at least, I think you do, I only buy them digitally.
There's no slots or anything on the side, unless that mysterious panel opens in some way that I don't understand. Pushing on it doesn't do anything and I can't get my fingernail in under it or anything.

edit: rubber plug? There is nothing like that on my Japanese one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Holy poo poo, that thing on the side IS a game card slot. How the hell do I get it open? It won't budge no matter what I do. I feel like I'm going to break my fingernail trying to pry it open.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Okay, finally got it open. drat that's weird. It totally looks like one of the pointless panels you have in a car dashboard because some luxury feature that you didn't buy would go there, and I didn't even know Vita game cards were a different format than memory cards, having never owned one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sony Japan is doing some Phantasy Star Nova LE bundles for both Vita and Vita TV... correct me if I'm wrong, but PSO2 and the Nova demo don't actually work on VTV, do they?

http://store.sony.jp/Special/Game/Psvita/Psnova/
Yeah, I just checked the Japanese PS store again a few days ago and it said Nova and PSO2 were not supported, so what the hell?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

That patch is from three weeks ago or so.

edit: there is a patch coming out on the 28th, which apparently makes it so you can run four remote plays at the same time. No word on headphone support...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 27, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

Just received a physical copy of Freedom Wars in the mail, and it sports a "Playstation TV Compatible" icon on the back (the same group as the memory card requirements etc.)
They sure talk about that game a lot on Japanese sites, is it a really good game or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

univbee posted:

It's a hunting game a la Monster Hunter, and that genre just seems to be by far the most popular genre in Japan right now (as indicated by Monster Hunter 4G absolutely destroying Smash 3DS' sales).
So it's a war for freedom...against monsters who you go out and find and kill?

That didn't answer my question about whether it's good or not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

straight jerkers posted:

Anyone know if the vita firmware menus on that Asian vita tv are in English?
My Japanese Vita TV supports all the usual languages.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I doubt very many people know it exists even in a conceptual sense. I bet I could talk to ten PS3/PS4/Vita owners and tell them there's a specialized Vita that you plug into a TV and nine of them wouldn't believe me at first.

edit: or think I'm talking about some cobbled together Hong Kong knockoff thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jabro posted:

I was kind of surprised this thing doesn't have 5.1 surround.
Since the Vita obviously doesn't support surround sound, why would Vita games be developed for it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Does this thing play every vita game yet?
Nope. If they make heavy use of the touchscreen and back touchpad, they will have marked it as not compatible with the PSTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

lol sony is terrible at everything. I'll grab this when its on clearance for $20

They could at least let the game launch and use the PS4 touch pad
I use mine pretty much exclusively for PSP games, since it runs those all perfectly (as far as I know).

• Locked thread