Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Got a Vita TV for Christmas, and I love it. Wish PS1 saves synched with PSN+ cloud saving, but oh well. Been swapping my 64 gig card between the TV and the Vita, I wish it hadn't totally scrambled my bubble organization. :argh:

Crossposting from the retro games thread - I decided I wasn't a fan of how blurry PS1 games looked on my monitor, decided to do something about it. HDMI to VGA adapter to SLG3000 scanline generator to monitor. Ended up making Vita games look pretty awesome, too!

Code Jockey posted:

Alright, finally had a chance to hook up the HDMI->VGA adapter. tl;dr: works perfectly, handles HDCP without issue, scanlines are beautiful, PS1 games on the Vita TV look much better, as do Vita games.

Let's start with just hooking it up. HDMI from the Vita TV, VGA out to my monitor:

Awwwwww yiss, no more HDCP, picture is perfect and sound is perfect:

... however, the picture is a bit blurry. Hooked up the SLG3000 between the monitor and the adapter:

Results are awesome. I mean, it's still blurry because no matter what the output setting is, 480p or 720p, that monitor is still having to upscale to its native 1080p, but I was very happy with the results vs. how it looks without the SLG. I'm not even going to really bother with the 480p shots I took, the 720p ones looked much better.

It's hard to do justice to how this looks with a camera taking pictures of the monitor, but...

Here's Symphony of the Night at 720p:

Because I wanted to see what a Vita game looked like, here's BlazBlue at 720p:

Without SLG turned on:

With SLG:

BlazBlue definitely showed the most improvement, it REALLY looks nice with the scanlines on. It looks okay without them, but the SLG really cleans it up.

I haven't tested the toslink audio on the adapter but the regular audio is nice and clean. I definitely recommend it if you want to go HDMI to VGA.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIS3TEO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, I'm loving my Vita TV via the HDMI->VGA adapter + SLG for relaxing and playing stuff with a DS3 on my 20" monitor I dedicated to the Vita TV. Been playing a lot of Ragnarok Odyssey Ace that way, now that I finished Castlevania [and am being demolished by Persona 4's end boss I mean I assume it's the end boss, the one with the gears rotating around his head, that motherfucker]

It's incredibly dumb that Sony handled this so poorly. I wanted a Vita TV because [I thought/hoped] not only could it do set-top box stuff, but it could also play Vita games on my TV. I still love it and am glad I have one, but come on Sony, not even a proper Youtube app? I use the browser, but that's lame.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ineffiable posted:

A 60 dollar Vita TV is tempting. What happens of I switch the card between an actual Vita and a Vita TV? I have a 64 gig on my Vita and obviously due to reasons, I don't want to buy a second large memory stick.

It'll keep the games/saves, but scramble the order of your games on your pages. Kind of a pain.

Also, DJ Max bitched about having to create a new save since it thought the Vita TV was a "different system" and didn't want to use the save. Worked when I put it back in the Vita, but doesn't like using my save on the Vita TV.

e. I checked last night and am FINALLY getting close to filling my 64 gig card, I've got 8 free. That card is enormous. I guess I mostly have PS1/PSP titles though, and P4/RO are on cartridges.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 30, 2015

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, my bubbles stay intact. I created them by system, so Vita 1, Vita 2, PSX 1, PSX 2, PSP 1, etc.

Before, I think I was reaching the page limit with everything just out on the pages thanks to that 64 gig card.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Having just finished Persona 4 [I won't cross post my huge gushing post about it to another thread but holy poo poo literally the best game], I can say my Vita TV has totally justified itself by letting me play P4 on a bigger screen - an extra 20" monitor, hooked up via scan line generator like I posted about before - and with a really nice soundsystem.

Persona 4's soundtrack deserves a good sound system. Headphones were fine when I was flying and playing but it was nice playing at home with something nice and loud.

I still really like it, I just wish either Sony would whitelist more poo poo or someone comes out with a proper hack that whitelists everything but still lets me keep PSN access and not get me banned [never going to happen, I know]

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I wish they'd whitelist Katamari, it's not like I ever used the stupid touch controls more than like once or twice and I imagine that's what's holding it back. :argh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CrashCat posted:

They can't even allow YouTube on the thing, so this comes as zero surprise.

Youtube works in the browser though? It did when I tried a while ago even if it's kind of dumb.

I assume the "don't take it places with you" could be avoided if you set up a VPN into your home and somehow got the Vita TV to use that, but what an incredible pain in the rear end that'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dehry posted:

There's virtually no reason to buy a PSTV for homebrew anyways. An Ouya, Fire TV, or any other set top android box paired with a controller (even a Dual Shock 3) would have far more features aside from "Plays PSVita games." There's an Android PSP emulator running full speed, and the Sony Xperia PS4 remote play app was hacked to run on any device. Also, once you consider an acceptable amount of memory card space, the price advantage is lost. 16GB is $40 and the 32GB is $80 with used prices being ~$10 less.

Yeah I just got a Shield TV, which might be a lot more expensive than a Vita TV, but it can do PSP full speed and a ton of other stuff. Also, I threw a 3 tb hard drive on the Shield, and it cost as much as a 64 gb Vita memory card. :v:

I wanted to get another Vita TV to hack and do homebrew on, but meh.

• Locked thread