Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wow, what a mystery this has been. It's been a wild ride that I've been happy to take with all of you. So many questions are answered now. I think I can finally sleep easy.

Just one thing though, why the heck did the muslims fly it all the way down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Lol good job australia you stopped the boat people but now you have to deal with The Plane People

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

rocket_man38 posted:

It took 2 years for AF 447 and that was only a couple years ago, with a much smaller area. Pretty soon news channels are going to get sick of no story.

yeah and they found the debris in like 2 days. It was years for the flight recorder

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Please James Cameron and J. J. Abrams, find that mystery box.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

ENSENDA CURES MAIL posted:

i heard on cnn that it's just a whale

no it's actually your mom haha

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

sonicice posted:

no it's actually your mom haha

:drat: sick burn

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
*Knock Knock*

CNN: Who's there?

- Flight MH370

CNN: Whatever... BREAKING NEWS: MICHELLE OBAMA and BEYONCE ARE BFFS!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Calling it now Jizz on the equipment.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
A good bet as to why the Aussie SAR are looking there would involve JORN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jindalee_Operational_Radar_Network

They are not going to own up to it for capability reasons, but there is a fair chance that they went over their records once the satellite info came back. The range of it is vastly understated in that article.

e: Imagine that the US is an island and that radar keeps the Mexicans out. It's that sort of system, but Aussies hate Muslims and Asians not Mexicans.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 20, 2014

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

redshirt posted:

I've been enjoying this story immensely solely for the Lost angle. Like, this media reaction would have been the same in Lost, right? The missing flight 815 would be a huge world wide deal with governments looking and satellites and everything. And so when Jack and crew come back, it would be a super huge deal.

It was. They were celebrities. jfc did you even watch it??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

bathroom sounds posted:

It was. They were celebrities. jfc did you even watch it??

I did, and I know. But due to TV limitations, I never really "felt" it.

I do now, retroactively. Thanks you Malaysian Air, for making me like Lost even more in retrospect.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

I did, and I know. But due to TV limitations, I never really "felt" it.

I do now, retroactively. Thanks you Malaysian Air, for making me like Lost even more in retrospect.

Well technically they weren't celebrities because it was all a dead gay ghost dream in the end.

So what will happen is someones dead gay son will wake up and we'll all be part of his dream.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Spacman posted:

A good bet as to why the Aussie SAR are looking there would involve JORN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jindalee_Operational_Radar_Network

They are not going to own up to it for capability reasons, but there is a fair chance that they went over their records once the satellite info came back. The range of it is vastly understated in that article.

e: Imagine that the US is an island and that radar keeps the Mexicans out. It's that sort of system, but Aussies hate Muslims and Asians not Mexicans.

Well this would be awesome if true.

Related reading: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/missing-malaysian-plane-why-is-australia-silent-on-secret-radar-data/1/350162.html

edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-horizon_radar#Australia

OTH Wikipedia on JORN posted:

It has an official range of 3,000 kilometres (1,900 mi) but in 1997 the prototype was able to detect missile launches by China[6] over 5,500 kilometres (3,400 mi) away.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 20, 2014

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Why does Australia need a super powerful OTH radar system.
I mean kudos to them because it's kinda cool but I know the secret answer is to stop illegal immigrants.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

bathroom sounds posted:

I mean kudos to them because it's kinda cool but I know the secret answer is to stop illegal immigrants.

Because it sees B2s and the US bombs people randomly.

No poo poo. That is the reason.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

bathroom sounds posted:

boats are scary, ok?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
p. sure if the world is ever at the point where the U.S. is dropping bombs on Australia then an OTH radar system isn't going to do anything at all

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

bathroom sounds posted:

p. sure if the world is ever at the point where the U.S. is dropping bombs on Australia then an OTH radar system isn't going to do anything at all

Yeah, but its nice to give you the shits by handing over stealth bomber tracks weekly.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
couldnt we just fly around the radar poo poo and come in from the south?

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

couldnt we just fly around the radar poo poo and come in from the south?

You could, but we would pick up your C-17s refueling your bombers and kill them all, JORN is also much larger now.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

That is a bad article. Joint Defense Facility Pine Gap/Joint Defense Space Research Facility deals with tracking missile launches from the Indian Ocean, Asia and the South Pacific.

They really don't give a poo poo about planes.

It is a missile launch alert facility.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Q: Why didn't the sick plane make it to its destination
A: It flu

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Spacman posted:

You could, but we would pick up your C-17s refueling your bombers and kill them all, JORN is also much larger now.
let me rephrase

If the world is at the point where America is bombing Australia then I'm pretty sure we're about a day away from Mad Max & Fallout becoming a reality

It'll be cool to explore the OTH radar facilities though I hope Bethesda includes neat easter eggs

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

bathroom sounds posted:

let me rephrase

If the world is at the point where America is bombing Australia then I'm pretty sure we're about a day away from Mad Max & Fallout becoming a reality
Yeah, we are the 51st state, but poo poo.

Allow us radar masta!

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Good news, CNN found the plane!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Al Borland posted:

Well technically they weren't celebrities because it was all a dead gay ghost dream in the end.

So what will happen is someones dead gay son will wake up and we'll all be part of his dream.

That's not true.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

bathroom sounds posted:

let me rephrase

It'll be cool to explore the OTH radar facilities though I hope Bethesda includes neat easter eggs

I dunno matey. We are a Constitutional Monarchy, and a Commonwealth Nation. I can see you guys bombing the poo poo out of Canada or Australia to 'fix' us.

E: If you are willing to kick off, we have backup you wanker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations#Current_members

Eat a dick, come after us you human being.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 20, 2014

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Naw, no one thinks about Australia.

Obscurity is your security.

We are all cousins anyhow, blame Britain!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Spacman posted:

I dunno matey. We are a Constitutional Monarchy, and a Commonwealth Nation. I can see you guys bombing the poo poo out of Canada or Australia to 'fix' us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations#Current_members

I'm Canadian. :smith:

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Herv posted:

Naw, no one thinks about Australia.

Obscurity is your security.

We are all cousins anyhow, blame Britain!

You guys have the ability to join the Commonwealth of Nations if you rescind your revolution.

I would be more than happy to accept the USA into the Commonwealth.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Sorry matey, You are my brother. I apologise if I insulted you.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sup former colony buddy?

Canada is in a great spot, and will never be invaded with the current world setup. Your neighbors may suck, but there is a less than zero chance we wouldn't come a runnin.

Downside is that we will probably blow up more poo poo than any would be invader.

Apologies in advance.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
:australia::hf::canada:

The Chillest Bros

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
If I were living in Australia, I'd be paranoid as poo poo, too. There's an entire board dedicated to attempted world domination that begins with taking over the country because it's the simplest area to hold onto.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
More CNN theory talk because I guess there is nothing more important to talk about.

quote:

"That's what people are saying," Lemon said. "I know it's preposterous — but is it preposterous you think, Mary?"

"Well, it is. A small black hole would suck in our entire universe so we know it's not that," Schiavo said. "The Bermuda Triangle is often weather. And 'Lost' is a TV show. So I think -- I always like things for which there's data history, crunch the numbers. So for me those aren't there."
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/don-lemon-black-hole-malaysia-jet

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Spacman posted:

US and Australian soldiers nearly broke out into a full blown war during WW2 because Aussie soldiers were mad that the Americans were stealing all their women

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its gone guys.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Rusty posted:

More CNN theory talk because I guess there is nothing more important to talk about.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/don-lemon-black-hole-malaysia-jet

Don Lemon needed reassurance that it wasn't a black hole? drat.

Actually it was a wormhole and it's a promotion for the new Farscape movie!!

Anyway. Everyone is likely dead except pilot who has sold the plane for parts and has faked his death in one of the -stans.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 20, 2014

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Emanuel Collective posted:

US and Australian soldiers nearly broke out into a full blown war during WW2 because Aussie soldiers were mad that the Americans were stealing all their women

The leaders of the colonies in america consisted in a bunch of terrorists and insurgents.

Washington was a terrorist and an insurgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What a bunch of poo poo. I didn't follow the news coverage for three weeks for some dumb crash in the sea. Come one CNN, give me a fake interview with a Somali pirate so I can rest easy.

• Locked thread