Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

I'm sure we'll all eventually find out that the bar burned down after one of those scumbag owners fell asleep in the office with a lit cigarette in their hand. What a bunch of assholes.
The bartender breathing fire was scary as hell. If the flames touched that low ceiling it could ignite and set the whole place on fire in seconds.
I don't even understand how a double wide trailer could get a liquor license. :iiam:

Even though it made for an unfinished rescue I was glad to see Taffer walk out of that place without wasting any more time and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

They should have just named it "Don Julio's Agave Junction Cantina" and given them a share of it.

Holy poo poo that chick is easily amused. LOOK AT THE BAR STOOLS!

I'd like to know what it is about Michelle that has allowed her to lead such a charmed life.

1. Her father buys her a bar and lets her run it into the ground, going in debt for hundreds of thousands of dollars and not collecting rent for almost a year.
2. She is married to a man who is working 5 jobs to keep her illusion of being a bar owner going.
3. And then, after she's completely hosed up her opportunity by being lazy complacent and incompetent she has another man, John Taffer come along and give her bar a complete makeover, train her staff (but surprisingly, not her!), fills the bar with a good sized crowd and premium alcohol...all for free, and then he leaves.

Must. Be. Nice.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

iastudent posted:

That was kind of a weird episode. I can understand how they would want something that is "feel good" after last week's travesty. The celebrity inclusions felt out of place, though.

Last week on Ink Master, Hugh Jackman stopped by for a minute to pretend to judge X-Men tattoos but really was blatantly only there to plug the new movie; they even ran the trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past in the show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bumming Your Scene posted:

How in the hell did she get a job as security in the first place?
I imagine the job interview went something like,
"Hey cousin, I'm here all the time anyways, how about giving me a job like you gave Robbie" (I think that was the name of the cook relative in the kitchen.)

When Taffer said "We'll find something else for you to do" I shouted at the tv, "What?! What can she possibly contribute to this or any business?" LOL

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Good to see the owner was rescued, he was a hopeless wreck at the beginning of the show.

My favourite line was Taffer saying, "You know, I always wanted to do a genuine speakeasy concept"

He's already worked with over 100 bars and not used that idea before - probably for good reasons!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Inkspot posted:

I do not understand making people who can't make a drink one at a time flame orange peels for garnish at all, but the smoked glasses are a cool idea for a firehouse-themed bar, and that grilled cheese looked awesome.
The grilled cheese looked good and big enough to share as a non-challenge item.

Also, while edited it seemed like Taffer's bar and kitchen experts were working during the relaunch, which would be a huge help. Although really with some practice the staff would learn the new stuff pretty quickly.

BUT what caught my eye was

Really Jon? 3 huge brothers with hot tempers, anger management problems and a bar full of alcohol - you don't see a potential problem with this 'decoration' ?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yes firemen are famous for carrying a bit of a broken beer bottle in case they need to quickly break down a door or smash through a wall.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 8, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

It's in a bar, dipshit. They have bottles in a bar, don't they? For gently caress's sake.

Yes, bottles are expected to be in a bar. 2 fire axes on the wall within easy reach of any drunk - not so much.

wormil posted:

Every time that shithead blew his air horn it would startle me so badly that whatever drink I was making would end up in his face.

Coincidentally this week Selfie was cancelled.

What was up with the end note? Instead of the usual "bar sales increased 30%" it read, "6 weeks after relaunch the bar continues to undergo changes" What the hell does that mean?

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaylord has allegedly gone back to drinking all night long. You don't end 11 years of alcoholism with some new decor.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaylord has allegedly gone back to drinking all night long. You don't end 11 years of alcoholism with some new decor.

So I was right. Too bad but not surprising really. The bar is his retirement, and his retirement is getting poo poo-faced in a place he can't be thrown out of.

And with drinks named for vagina and the Blue Veined Monster or whatever it was, I am sure the original name for the bar came from a joke I last heard back in the late 70s/early 80s.

quote:

An old italian couple is walking around in the mall. After
a while they get separated so the woman goes up to the first
saleswoman she sees and ask: "Escusa me, have you senn-a
me Tony. He's got a big-a belly and a-lots of curly black hair?"

The saleswoman answers that she hasn't seen her husband.

So the Italian woman goes to aks another saleswoman:
"Escusa me, have you senn-a me Tony. He's got a big-a belly
and a-lots of curly black hair?"

"No, I'm sorry maam, I haven't seen your husband."

The Italian woman goes to see one more saleswoman and ask:
"Escusa me, have you senn-a me Tony. He's got a big-a belly
and a-lots of curly black hair?"

The saleswoman answers: "Yes I saw him, he ran out of here
lickety split."

To which the Italian woman answers: "No no no, that's not-a
my tony, he pinch-a the bum, grab-a the breasts but he no
lickety split!"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

But the issue was that these axes were going to be a chance to have a weapon, not that a hundred other things that are easier to grab and use weren't already.

Remember the old rhyme

Lizzie Borden grabbed a beer bottle
and gave her mother a wicked throttle...

and this famous scene of Jack Nicholson with a little piece of a beer bottle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpipB4yehk

This is so ridiculous, if you hold a beer bottle by the neck and smash it on a hard surface you're more likely to cut yourself than to have some kind of useful 'weapon' in your hand.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 16, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I think someone's gonna rip those paddles off the wall and beat someone with them.

This should be of no concern because a readily-available shot glass can quickly become a lethal weapon. :derp:

Y'know, it seems the problem with this show is that Taffer is suffering the same sort of ennui he rips bar owners for. He seems to be going through the motions rather than being innovative."Before I can fix this business I have to fix the relationship/family".
And he really goes for low-hanging fruit by fixing up little 100-capacity watering holes with the artificially-imposed timeline. You don't need 20 years in the business to know that bringing in a POS system will improve inventory control, ordering and billing.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

How the gently caress do you have a failing bar in MILWAUKEE?

1. Be pathetic
2. Don't give a poo poo because it's not your money
3. 38 years old, zero ambition, live at home with mom, have dad pay rent for 'your' business
4. Don't profit.

Man I wish Taffer had walked away, that douchenozzle did not deserve any more than the free rent for 9 years he already had received.

This is what pisses me off about the show. Taffer said there were 11 bars on that block (or in the area) and even if they're doing okay, any one of them would probably like to have a crew come in for free and do a thorough cleaning, get some fresh paint on the exterior, new furniture, updated POS system, etc.
But only the most undeserving piece of poo poo owner who drinks all night and doesn't give a poo poo, gets the help.

"Letting someone else (competent) to manage the bar will free up my time to pursue other interests" ?! Like what, wasting even more of your father's money? Moving on from alcoholism to crack addiction?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The original Y-Not opened in the 70s disco era, so it kind of made sense as a 'franchise' of that chain. But who is the target demo - people in their late 50s and older who want to relive those times?!

I mix old disco songs into playlists and going to a bar like that would, as bunky points out, be fun once for a cheesy retro night, but it doesn't seem set up for regulars to return to.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

Holy moly how did the owner not just instantly fire the poo poo out of that awful bartender chick who didn't know her cocktails and gave away two thousand dollars worth of liquor when she stopped giving a gently caress

She really only "gave away" $50 worth of booze (the cost of 2 bottles), and IMO it was actually a good "gently caress you" response to Taffer's typical contrived tactic of instantly filling a small bar to try and overwhelm the staff.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

OmegaBR posted:

About 40 minutes at 550 degrees or so. I agree, it does seem like a liability though. Not necessarily for the raw food, but for the potential for someone (particularly someone who's been drinking,) to burn themselves.

"Watch me light a cigarette off this rock!"

The drinks - and the bar - looked pretty good.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Having 100 beers on tap is not an idea anyone with any bar experience would try.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

On tap or available? I've been to a lot of places that had hinders of beer, but most of them were bottled or canned, not on tap. Think how long it'd take to get through a keg of some random poo poo nobody ever orders.
Yeah even Baskin Robbins drew the line at 31!
Here in Toronto the brewpub with the biggest selection I know about is C'Est What. They have around 2 dozen 'regular' choices on tap and another 15 that are offered on rotation based on the season and what's currently hot.
And they've been at it for decades.

The logistics of keeping track of the kegs and lines and gas for 100 taps is ridiculous. I wish Taffer had asked the owner to list them all because he'd probably choke out and stall after naming ten. But from the episode and some YELP reviews they actually only had 7 or 8 beers on tap.

But I think that what bothered me most was the owner. He could not articulate why he wanted to run a bar, or why it should be rescued. Yes, he needed to keep it going because he'd already sunk so much money in. But even the Piratz woman and the hippy chick musician with crayons on the tables had reasons for their bars to exist.
This owner wasn't a beer aficionado, nor a cook, nor a party host who wanted to have a fun place where he could be the centre of attention. Getting rid of all the experienced management staff and bringing in family members (inexperienced but cheaper) was another terrible idea.

Anyway...the place is already up for sale. And I really doubt they're going to get anywhere near the asking price.

http://www.barrescueupdates.com/2015/03/bar-rescues-la-brew-co-listed-for-sale.html

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

The Patriot House seems like such a New England concept, why the gently caress would Taffer decide that was the way to go with a SAN FRANCISCO bar run by IRISH WOMEN? Am I the only one who thinks that's just a terrible concept?

It was especially weird because Taffer pointed out earlier that the sisters came from Ireland and were "living the American dream". So I was expecting a theme about the immigrant experience, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" and maybe reflecting the San Fran melting pot of cultures.
Instead he brings in the Patriot House with stylized historical decor that would really mean very little to the owners. And it might be labelled a "gastropub" but the menu didn't seem "gastro" at all.
But the sign outside did look good, and I hope the sisters can make it work; they bickered a lot but were not evil or crazy or disgusting or drunk idiots like many who have turned for help to Bar Rescue .

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That's what is so frustrating about this show. Taffer says, "We don't embrace excuses, we embrace solutions" but what he's really doing is rewarding incompetence, mismanagement and laziness.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Waterboard all scummy owners with flat beer.

Or...have a show that features well-run establishments and show what they're doing right. Reward them with flight to distillery/brewery to learn more about products. Give them new and improved signage / POS systems, new furniture, etc. Prizes for great staff who are competent and well-liked by customers.

Would that be so bad?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I knew the owners of a bar (they sold it years ago) on Cowell Avenue. One of them claimed they'd wanted to name it The Coxwell Inn but the liquor board wouldn't let them.

As for Bar Rescue...
That whole place was horrible and the episode was ridiculous. I really thought Taffer was going to say something like, "Maybe you should try something completely different like having somewhat attractive women for strippers".

Sweets up on stage going "What have I got to smile about" and then about the entertainment instructor who works in a club that pulls in $30 million/year, "She's 40, she doesn't know anything" were the most entertaining parts of the ep.

Then Taffer anchors the manager in the kitchen for the Stress Test just so he can later scream, "You're not doing anything to help the bar staff!" What was the point of that sort of manipulation. .
And it's dodgy enough to order food in a decent strip club; what the heck is "meat and potatoes"? You couldn't pay to eat whatever the hell was on the plates in that dump.

• Locked thread