Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

The display suddenly flickered to life as the holographic displays came on, an ominous red, flashing light filled the room. "Alert, alert: Recent activity on the Imperially Designated planet 1903-0205-2008 colloquioually known as 'The World of Dreams' indicates that there is a 20.54086% chance of Subject 0302-1101-0514-91 being located currently or recently upon that planet. Advisory: Dispatch covert magistrate group to locate and process subject." spoke the shapeless interace, the holographic display streaming appropriate data regarding the subject and the planet.

There was a pause before a deep voice replied "Advisory noted. Display currently available magistrates for duty."

Immediately the room was filled with rotating portraits of many, many faces. The figure, previously sat in a chair now stood and paced back and forth taking in the many faces...

. . .

Undisclosed Location, Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams
20th Day of the Monkey, 3122

The World of Dreams. Official capital of the Scorpion Clan, the most populated world in the Empire, and the headquarters of the Minor Clan Alliance.

The City of the Splintered Oar. One of the largest conventional ports on the planet. Its docklands stretch forth for far too long, warehouses containing whatever cargo there could be stretching away for an eternity.

Since you arrived in the Lower City (not to be confused with the actual low parts of the city) you have all noticed one common fact: Rain. It is always raining. At least, you think it's rain. Being the Lower City unless you are closer to the actual seafront you wouldn't be able to see the sky anyway, if it was cloudy or clear. Those who passed through the Upper City have likely had quite the surprise coming down here, up there it's... positively celestial. Golden sunlight streaming down, beautifully painted clouds stretching off, or at night with a starfield that would make a fortune cry. But down here, the constant stream of water is omnipresent.

One-by-one you file through the unmarked entrance to the safe house, being stopped in a barren and rugged chamber with a full body scanner the whirls around you - also helpfully drying you immediately - the atmosphere becoming desiccated for a moment as you feel the dampness fade entirely. Having been identified by whatever criteria it uses, the nodules that contain probably some form of automated weaponry do not move, and the doors open with a greeting "Many greetings, oh blessed Magistrate. May the fortunes be forever in your favour." it recites. The room that awaits you is relatively ornate, and has places for each of you centred around a relatively visible holo-projection disc.

But whatever is supposed to start when you all arrive has yet to do so. What do you do in the meantime?

. . .

Hey peeps. Please post your stats here for quick reference later. Rolls can be done in #scorpionemperor and pasted here since we're all there anyway or by rolling in Orokos if you'd rather (use the campaign name "Emerald Stars: Magistrates of the Emerald Stars".)

It's up to you what you do as you wait, as fellow Emerald Magistrates you may opt to know some or all of each other, your decision!

OOC thread: Here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Soshi Shosuko

quote:

Name: Soshi Shosuko
Soshi Magistrate 2

Honor 2.5
Glory
Status 3
Insight: 153

Experience 60/60

Earth 2 Stamina 2 Willpower 2
Air 3 Reflexes 3 Awareness 3
Water 2 Strength 2 Perception 2
Fire 3 Agility 3 Intelligence 3
Void 2

Techniques

Rank One: The Face of Justice - +1k0 to intimidation, +2k0 vs lower Status. +1k0 damage with melee attacks.
Rank Two: Rise to Meet the Challenge – free action to roll athletics/agi to get up from prone, +1k1 to control grapple

Masteries
Ettiquette +3 Insight
Chain weapons may be used to initiate a grapple
Athletics – moderate terrain no longer impedes movement, difficult terrain reduces Water ring by 1 instead of 2.
Jiujutsu +1k0 damage unarmed

Skills

Athletics (STR) 3
Defense (REF) 1
Intimidation (AWA) (Control) 3
Jiujutsu (AGI) 4
Kenjutsu (AGI) 2
Lore: Underworld (INT) 2
Chain Weapons (AGI) 4
Ettiquette (AWA) 3
Investigation (PER) 3
Games (Fortunes and Winds) (AWA) 3
Lore: Law (INT) 2

Disadvantages
Compulsion (Gambling) 4 pts
Soft Hearted 2 pts

Shosuko sinks into one of the seats almost immediately, slouching down. Eyeing her fellow magistrates through her mask - a fearsomely scowling carved wooden Hannya mask, which she wears mostly for the intimidation factor, favoring a simpler cloth scrap when being social. Today, meeting her fellows for the first time, she's keen to give the right first impression. Or at least, the carefully crafted first impression she wants them to have.

"So. Iuchi-san, Oroku-san, Asako-san, Kitsuki-san, and of course Ikoma-san. I've read through your files. Very carefully. Very thoroughly."

She leaves it hanging. Let them conclude what they will about what that means.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ikoma Masaru

Masaru smiles slightly. "Have you? That's fascinating. I haven't read yours, yet. Ikoma Masaru, my lady," he says with a smooth bow. "At your service. But, no doubt you already know that from my dossier." He removes his gloves. "In fact, I greet you all. It seems from our list of names, we have a real gathering of the clans here. Lion, Scorpion, Unicorn, Phoenix, Dragon, and Spider. Yet all together as Imperial Magistrates, unified in common purpose. Truly a glorious example of interclan unity."

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 10, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Oroku Misaki

Misaki bowed politely to her fellow magistrates, hands tucked within the sleeves of her kimono. Her eyes swept across the room, opened wide as though she'd never seen this sort of domicile before. Whether it was an affectation or she was just simple, it was difficult to say.

"Very carefully, you say? Good. There shall be no misunderstandings, in that case." Her voice was soft, scarcely above a whisper. Her movements were likewise slow and deliberate. She gave the impression of being incredibly meek, or else under extremely tight control of herself. Given her clan, the latter seemed most likely. Taking one of the seats around the projector, she folded her hands in her lap and waited patiently.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Iuichi Hino

"Unity." Hino repeats the word, without reflecting the Lion's enthusiasm. "Yes, indeed." She doesn't look too comfortable with the presence of the Phoenix magistrate though, a shugenja no less. When she accepted this reassignment, she had hoped to get as far away from them as possible. Oh well.

"I am Iuchi Hino." She bows to greet the magistrates, her body making this very audible whirrr while doing so. Even she's still not used to it. "If you're already well-informed of us, Soshi-san, perhaps you are also aware why we have been summoned here?"

pre:
Iuichi Hino
Meishodo Shugenja 1 / Horiuichi Family

Insight 136	Honor 4.0		Status 1		Glory 1		Exp 60/60

Earth	3	Stamina		3	Willpower	3
Air	2	Reflexes	2	Awareness	2
Water	2	Strength	2	Perception	2
Fire	2	Agility		2	Intelligence	3
Void	2

Techniques/Masteries
Mysteries of Meishodo	Create a magical amulet to store a spell by making a successful roll of Craft: 
			Meishodo/Ring, using the Ring for the desired spell.
Defense Mastery 	Keep Defense/Reflexes for subsequent rounds in Full Defense.
Jiujutsu Mastery	+1k0 to unarmed attacks.		

Skills:			Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Rolls
*Calligraphy		2	Int			5k3
Computer Use		3	Awa	Hacking		5k2
*Craft (Meishodo)	4	Int			Craft (Meishodo)/Ring
*Defense		3	Ref			5k2
*Firearms		3	Ref			5k2
Investigation		2	Per			4k2
Jiujutsu		3	Agi			5k2
Lore (Elements)		2	Int			5k3
*Lore (Theology)	1	Int			4k3
*Meditation		1	Int			4k3
*Spellcraft		3	Int	Spell Research	6k3

Advantages			Disadvantages
Friend of the Earth		Disturbing Countenance (She's a goddamn cyborg)
Hands of StoneRULES OF NATURE	Epilepsy BSoD
Sage				Fascination (Gaijin Magic)
Strength of the Earth		Obligation (Phoenix Clan)

Combat
TN-to-be-hit:		15
Initiative:		3k2
Attack (Bare Hands): 	3k3
Attack (Sidearm): 	5k3

Outfit: 	Robes, Wakizashi, Pistol, Knife, Scroll Drive/Amulet Pouch, Traveling Pack, 4 koku

Spells: 	Commune, Sense, Summon, Armor of Earth, Embrace Of Kenro-ji-jin, Earth Becomes Sky, 
		Path to Inner Peace, Reflections Of Pan Ku, Fury Of Osano-wo

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 9, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Asako Hanjiko

"No tea?", muses Hanjiko openly, as if a little distracted by her closed surroundings. "Oh. Asako Hanijko. It's good to meet you all.", she says with a bow before she settles in with a peaceful smile. To Shosuko, she asks, "Oh? And what did my file tell you?", as her eyes shift away towards Misaki. Her expression becomes a little more thoughtful as she regards the Spider, the difference between her hazel and blue eyes more apparent with direct attention. And then, her attention politely drifts away after but a few moments.

pre:
Asako Hanjiko

Family: Asako	Clan: Phoenix		School: Isawa Shugenja
Honor: 5.5	Glory: 1.0		Status: 1.0

Initiative: 4k3		Armor TN: 15 (base 15)

Air 3	Awareness 3
	Reflexes 3 (12 xp)
Earth 2	Stamina 2
	Willpower 2
Fire 3	Agility 3 (12 xp)
	Intelligence 3
Water 2	Perception 2
	Strength 2
Void 3 (18 xp)

Void Points: 3

School Skills		Rank	Trait		Emphasis	Roll	CP

Calligraphy		1	Intelligence	Cipher		4k3	-
Investigation		2	Perception	-		4k2	2
Lore: Law		1	Intelligence	-		5k4	-
Lore: Theology		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	-
Medicine		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	-
Meditation		2	Void		-		5k3	2
Spellcraft		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	-

Other Skills

Athletics		1	Agility		-		4k3	1
Etiquette		1	Awareness	-		4k3	1
Divination		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Jiujutsu		1	Agility		-		4k3	1
Kenjutsu		1	Agility		-		4k3	1
Piloting		1	Intelligence	-		4k3	1
Sincerity		1	Awareness	-		4k3	1
Teppoudo		1	Reflexes	-		4k3	1

Advantages			Benefit

Fukurokujin's Blessing (3 xp)	+1k1 on Lore: Law rolls.
Ishiken-Do (6 xp)		Can cast Void spells.
Sage (3 xp)			Use any Lore skill as if you had 1 rank.
Wary (3 xp)			+1k1 on Investigation (Notice) rolls against ambushes.

Disadvantages				Drawback

Bad Fortune: Heterochromia (1 xp)	Triggers old-fashioned superstitions.
Contrary (3 xp)				Willpower roll to avoid taking sides.
Cursed by the Realm: Sakkaku (5 xp)	Pranked severely 1/month.

Techniques

Isawa's Gift: Affinity in Void, no deficiency. Gain a free raise on Void spells.

Spells				Element	Roll	Mastery Level

Boundless Sight			Void	5k3	1
By the Light of the Moon	Air	3k2	1
Drawing the Void		Void	5k3	1
Gathering Swirl 		Air	4k3	1
Fire Kami's Blessing		Fire	4k3	1
Path to Inner Peace		Water	3k2	1
Sense Void			Void	5k3	1

Weapons			Attack	Damage	Keywords	Special

Radiant Wakazashi	4k3	4k2	medium, samurai	May be thrown up to 20'.
"Little Yojimbo"	4k3	6k3	medium, samurai Range 100'.
Jiujitsu		4k3	2k1	-		-

Items: Robes, Radiant Wakazashi, "Little Yojimbo" Pistol, Finger of Jade, 
Scroll Satchel, 4 Koku

Traveling Pack: Calculator, Kamiunicator, Ink & Brush, Lampstick, Parchment, 
Personal Seal, Sake Cup, Small Mirror, Smoking Pipe, "Uncle Sochoku's Tales"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko speaks clipped and blunt as usual, sitting so as to look both bored and vaguely irritated at all times.

"And I've read all your files as well. Good; we won't need to mince words. Kitsuki Tsuriko. Unless Soshi-san has been given orders where we've not, our current directive is to sit here and wait to be told what to do."

Her pipe is out almost immediately, it's foul smelling smoke beginning to fill the room. The Dragon doesn't introduce the eta attendant that joined her standing in the corner, ignored by everyone else.

pre:
Kitsuki Tsuriko
Kitsuki Investigator 1

Insight 128	Honor 5.5		Status 3		Glory 1		Exp 60/60

Earth	2	Stamina		2	Willpower	3
Air	2	Reflexes	2	Awareness	3
Water	2	Strength	2	Perception	3
Fire	2	Agility		2	Intelligence	3
Void	2

Techniques/Masteries
Kitsuki's Method - One free raise to Investigation, +Perception to Armor TN
Investigation - Second attempt to Search without TN increase
Etiquette Mastery - +3 Insight
Courtier Mastery - +3 Insight
Firearms Mastery - +1k0 to damage rolls

Skills:			Rank	Trait	Emphasis	Rolls
Calligraphy		1	Int			4k3
*Courtier		3	Awa			6k3
*Ettiquette		3	Awa	Courtesy	6k3
Games (Sadane)		1	Int			4d3
Firearms		3	Ref			5k2
*Investigation		3	Per	Interrogation	6k3
*Kenjutsu		1	Agi			3k2
*Lore (Law)		1	Int			4k3
*Meditation		1	Void			3k2
*Sincerity		3	Awa	Honesty		6k3

Advantages			Disadvantages
Clear Thinker			Disbeliever
Servant	(Eta) (Mei)		Contrary
Sage				Sworn Enemy (Soshi Komeko)

Combat
TN-to-be-hit:	18
Initiative:	3k2
Damage:		7k3 or 8k4 (She does not typically use her wakizashi as a weapon)

Outfit: Traditional Clothing, Wakizashi, Knife, Calligraphy Set, Travelling Pack, Sidearm, Rifle, 5 koku

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 13, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Shosuko

Shosuko nods to the Dragon, respect from one magistrate to another. "As you say. As for what's in your files...you have the same access to them as I do. I've no secret Scorpion clan dossiers on you, if that's what you're wondering." She doesn't. She's requested copies, but they haven't come through yet. Need to know, and all that. Probably some idiotic bureaucrat somewhere in the bowels of the Scorpion network was delaying signing off on the requisition, just so he can feel like he's important enough to matter. There was always some idiot bureaucrat, Shosuko believed, getting in the way of actual work.

No matter. In this case, it serves her purpose well enough to be able to say that she has no secret knowledge and not be actually lying.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko is careful to keep all judgement out of her voice, speaking in a generally flat tone.

"As all of us assuredly read the files, I'll simply recap them for the group's benefit."

The Lion gets a nod.

"Ikoma-san. A jack of all trades. Noted for his skills in a wide variety of tasks. Flexible. Not much on your previous experience before the magistrate."

The Spider gets a brief glance.

"Oroku-san. I've used some of your families weapons before. The files didn't say much on you; general excellence in both ranged and hand to hand combat, general proficiency in a variety of other skills, similar to Ikoma-san. Similar again to Ikoma-san, not much on your pre-Magistrate experience."

The Scorpion gets a nod of respect in return.

"Soshi-san. Trained as magistrate even before being promoted to the Emerald. You've got quite the set of records to your name for criminals caught and brought in - all alive, to properly face justice in Imperial courts as well, I might add. And quite the reputation for FINDING the criminals beyond even that."

The Phoenix gets something of a flat look, though Tsuriko is polite enough not to notice - or at least, not to make a point of noticin - her oddly colored eyes.

"Asako-san. Ishiken-do; I profess to being generally ignorant of the ways of shugenja, but that's...noteworthy, I believe.

Finally, the Unicorn gets the same flat look.

"Iuichi-san. A survivor. Says you've taken some hits and kept going."

Then Tsuriko waves at herself.

"Kitsuki-san. Frankly, I'm your standard Kitsuki investigator. Good at spotting small details - be they actual physical ones or telltale signs on how a person talks. Not bad with a pistol. Decent enough at courtly speak when it comes out. I understand Kitsuki's method still has some stigma, but I...politely request you hear me out when I talk about 'evidence.'"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Shosuko

"You learn real drat fast when you're tracking fugitives that ignoring evidence is a good way to lose your quarry, Kitsuki-san. Real drat fast. You'll have my ear."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

Leaning to the side, Hanjiko shrugs. "Files would just tell me what other people think of you.", she says with a carefree tone. "I'm mostly just a tax collector.", she adds, sitting up straight. "But I might notice some things you won't. It won't be 'evidence', though. The term is ishi, though. Ishiken is reserved for whose Void synergy has reached Class S and up, or Beru Ganbonme under the classical ranking system."

A wave of her hand, and she adds humbly, maintaining a light air of cheer, "Like I said, I might notice a few things. But all of us have undoubtedly heard of the famous Kitsuki detectives and the school that taught the Most Honored Empress Iweko I. Certainly, finding fault with her school's method would be the height of historical ignorance."

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 9, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Iuchi Hino

Taken some hits. That's one way to put it.

"You won't hear any complaints from me." Hino nods, returning back a flat look to the Kitsuki. "Perhaps there's some things I may learn from such qualified magistrates."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

The Spider's fan snapped open with a practiced flick of the wrist. She gently fanned herself, while politely directing away the smoke from the Kitsuki's pipe.

"One also hopes to learn. Let us work diligently for the glory of the Empire, and leave its enemies dead in a pile of smoking entrails."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Everyone

With that phrase left floating, gently in the air much like the aforementioned smoke the room comes to life. The holo-projection disc unfolds like a reverse lotus, sharpened points raising up from the floor and rotating - making a gentle whirring sound as the (directionless) lighting in the room darkens and an image flickers into being at the centre of the projector.

A tall, masked man - his features even now cast into shadow, were it not for the highly visible emblem upon his immaculate form you might not have recognised him. It is Nazo. As you grow hushed at his appearance he begins to speak "Greetings, Magistrates. Although you may well know about each other, so far the reason why I have called you to this place, on this world in particular has been relatively secretive. I am sure you all are quite curious as to the specificities of this assignment. Which I will now go into detail." his voice, gravelly (and slightly distorted - you're not sure if it is caused by the projection method, the presumed encryption methods, or if this is a purposeful masking of his voice).

He gestures and another hologram appears, this time of a man, with data whirling around his form. This projection is a lot crisper and fine-tuned. He appears to be middle-aged, clad in the latest fashions (at least, as fashionable as you can expect for a Crab) with Crab colours and mon - his well-kept black hair tied in the traditional knot, his features thin - almost gaunt to a point.

A mechanical voice rings out from the chamber itself. "Subject 0302-1101-0514-91: Last and first known name: Kaiu Satoshi. Kaiu Engineer who made innovations in the field of robotics and pioneered a novel form of general-purpose humanoid robot, commonly purposed for military, judicial, or labour purposes. Was involved in the implication of a series of persons of varying class and profession in murder in order to conceal malfunctions that occurred in his robots that ended fatally. The implications became apparent at the hand of Kitsuki Torii, who had been implicated but had managed to prove his innocence and consequently find the originator. Following this Kaiu Satoshi disappeared rather than face justice. On three separate prior occasions have there been indications of Kaiu Satoshi's presence on separate worlds, however on each occasion he has managed to escape justice.

Due to probabilistic analysis of general surveillance and report data it has been determined that there is a 20.54086% chance that Kaiu Satoshi is present on what is colloquially known as the World of Dreams, somewhere within or near the City of the Splintered Oar." it states - its voice inflectionless and slightly monotonous. As it finishes up its description you feel a buzz (assuming you have vibration activated) from your various devices indicating that this (and other) data has been uploaded.

With a pause for effect, Nazo begins to speak once more. "The primary event that brought this to our attention on this planet is a very recent, probable murder or malfunction involving a humanoid robot that may have been one of Satoshi's designs. This footage combined with other clear evidence of the scene should show why we are suspicious." he says before gesturing in a different direction, causing a holo-screen to form in the area. The footage is a little blurry but you see a rather rough-and-tumble samurai (his daisho is clearly visible) enter into an alley, followed by a relatively primitively-shaped metallic humanoid form that is most likely a robot, it is raining. Time passes and then the footage stops. "This footage combined with the fact that relatively shortly after that time, the samurai in question - a Ronin named Daisatsu was found dead inside that alley - from what is believed to be gunfire, with no sign of his robotic adjutant. These are sufficiently suspicious circumstances in order for you to be brought in here to investigate. Do you have any questions?" spoke Nazo once more, once he asks the question he gestures again, turning the holo-screen into a rotating portrait of Daisatsu - however the information that floats around him is much more scant, additionally you feel more information upload to your devices. Daisatsu looks scarred and toughened, even with today's medicines being able to heal even those, presumably he either did not have access, or refused to utilise them.

Nazo's hologram then looks to you, waiting for your response.

Anyone who is paying attention to Augmented Reality notices that Nazo's hologram has no tags attached, and resists any attempts to do so.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 10, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

Tucking her fan away, Misaki withdrew her mobile and synched up with the Magisterial data net as Nazo began his briefing. As the data flowed in, she organized the AR windows to be collated later. When this 'Daisatsu' was mentioned, she made special note of the fact that he was apparently murdered with a gun. She should be able to identify the precise make and model from an autopsy report; the Kitsuki could no doubt handle that. Or more specifically, the Kitsuki's servant. The information might not prove essential or even relevant, but breakthroughs could come from the unlikeliest sources.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ikoma Masaru

Masaru views the recording, and a question comes to mind. "Excuse me, sir,", he asks. "Forgive my ignorance, but robots are not entirely uncommon things. Couldn't someone else have programmed this robot to murder? Why do we assume that it was Suspect Satoshi?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"So Kaiu Satoshi is being classified as an Imperial matter, then? Is there a more widespread concern of malfunctions?", asks Hanjiko, her tone that of casual inquiry. "How has Kaiu Heavy Industries reacted? Have they responded to inquiries?" She tilts her head slightly, a slightly perturbed look crossing her face.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Iuchi Hino

Hino feels the data rush right into her head, on account of the new drive installed. Another thing she's not used to yet.

While the others make their injuries, the Unicorn accesses all this general surveillance and report data related to Kaiu Satoshi. She also tries to run a deeper check on Satoshi's background, perhaps anything that might lead to close relatives, friends or associates in the City of the Splintered Oar.

VVV EDIT: 7:07 AM <•Morphball> SleepinTrix: 15 = 5k2(4,4,6,8,7)

Mitama fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 11, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Everyone

Nazo's hologram turned to Masaru. "The circumstances and nature of the death, combined with the evidence presented thus far give a probability of his presence that is within acceptable boundaries for investigation." he replies.

Following this, Nazo's hologram then turns to Hanjiko. "Malfunctions of this nature are luckily, rare. Kaiu Heavy Industries have previously discontinued any and all robotics that Satoshi was involved in, pending further investigation. Furthermore they have stricken his name from the records, however this was in absentia, so we should technically refer to him as merely 'Satoshi' however for the purposes of this investigation and possible names he may use it is more prudent to refer to him by his former name in some circumstances." he replies in turn.

Iuchi Hino

You get superficial data regarding Kaiu Satoshi and the products that he has been known to have been involved upon. It was not just robotics however those were his specialism, that and other products with robotic accessories such as auto-stabilising components and reactive systems and the like. Satoshi's family is largely normal, his parents were Kaiu Aki and Kaiu Moriko (formerly Yasuki Moriko), he has a brother Kaiu Atsushi and a sister Kaiu Masako - he has no children, and you do notice that he also had a wife Kaiu Akemi (formerly Toritaka Akemi) however she died before this even started. Nothing at a glance appears to link any of his family particularly to the World of Dreams or the City of the Splintered Oar.

If you want to know more technical details that Kaiu Heavy Industries might have made less publicly available, or to know harder to access details regarding Satoshi's family history then please roll Computer Use (Research)/Awareness.

^^^^ Edit: Given your magisterial access you manage to requisition an amount of data regarding his products. The non-robotic ones seem relatively unassuming. The robotic ones (especially the line of models that malfunctioned, which were a little difficult to acquire) you manage to get a hold of some information, especially with regards to their standard selection of chassis, and information regarding their connective and peripheral sensory components - however Kaiu Heavy Industries seem to regard the central computing components to be much more sensitive data. Although as an Emerald Magistrate and especially due to its related nature to this case you can likely get a hold of it, for the moment there are backlogs and other delays that make it not immediately available.

Regarding his family, the only interesting fact you manage to find out is that his wife, Kaiu Akemi died about two years before Satoshi's cover-ups became evident, of a virulent, wasting disease from which the world which she was living upon at the time suffered an outbreak. Other details (including the world she died on) regarding her life (or death) have been locked away under 'respect for the dead' clauses, which again as an Emerald Magistrate you can get past especially because it may well pertain to this case, but backlogs and other delays seem to have thwarted you from getting it immediately.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 11, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko tried not to show the faint glimmer of pride at the mention of another Kitsuki proving their own innocence. It was a family tradition, after all.

"Whether or not this was our man or another criminal is precisely what we're here to find out. Has Daisatsu's body already been cremated? My assistant can help us identify potentially important features about the body. Either way, we should proceed to the scene as soon as we can. All evidence has a a time limit."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"Is there any indication he has murdered previously, or are the the malfunctions believed to be genuine accidents?", Hanjiko asks.She folds her hands in her lap, her posture stiff and attentive, more like a student or scholar than a magistrate. "Also, which other worlds has he fled to? Do we know who he may have made contact with there?"

She looks over to the Kitsuki. "Oh, yes, well, I presume we can send letters by Pocket Scribe™ if necessary?", she says with a deep bow to Nasu as she rises.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Everyone

Nazo's hologram turned to face Kitsuki Tsuriko. "This is one of the main reasons as to why your summons was on such a short notice. The body has yet to be cremated and consequently I would advise anything that requires the body be performed post-haste." it said.

With Hanjiko's words did the hologram turn to face her. "The precise nature of the malfunctions has yet to be ascertained, including if they truly are malfunctions has yet to be ascertained. However prior to the incident with the cover-up Kaiu Satoshi had never committed murder or any other such acts. The other worlds Kaiu Satoshi fled to are, in chronological order: Hida Secundus, 'Aikune III' and 'the Nest'. Consequently the matter of Kaiu Satoshi only became Emerald Magistrate business when he had fled Crab Clan territory. Standard Emerald Magistrate encryption letters are permitted, if issues regarding the nature of this case elevate it to a higher priority then the consequent communication methods will be reassessed." says the hologram, Nazo's voice as deep as ever.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ikoma Masaru

If Masaru knew more about the planets that Satoshi fled to, he might have been able to find a pattern in them. Unfortunately, while Masaru knew many things, the specifics of planetary characteristics was not one of them. Fortunately, though, there were computers that did that sort of thing for you now.

Computer Use to research commonalities between the planets.: 5d10o10k4 34

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ikoma Masaru

Collating the collected data on the planets takes a little time, but your skills involving your device prove adequate.

Hida Secundus: One of the primary Crab systems, similar to their primary system Hida Prime. Contains several planets of mineral value, including at least one more highly visible planet, Inferno Secundus (unimaginatively named after a similar-seeming planet found in Hida Prime). Given the fact that you were only told Hida Secundus it either implies that his activities were system-wide (very possible) or his activities were centred on Inferno Secundus.
- Infero Secundus: Like Inferno in Hida Prime, it is a place of extremely high temperatures and toxic atmosphere, influenced by Gaki-do, Toshigoku and to an extent, Jigoku. The system however is very mineral rich. You find information regarding the system to be a little out of date, for some reason.

ENCRYPTED EMERALD MAGISTRATE CLEARANCE DATA AVAILABLE: OBLIGATIONS ARE IMPLIED THAT THE CONTENTS OF THIS DATA ARE TO BE MINIMISED IN EXPOSURE; ANY GROSS EXPOSURE MAY LEAD TO SANCTIONS AND DISCIPLINARY ACTION.
CONTENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- In Year 3121, precise dating unknown, Shiba Dankaro crash landed on a now unknown world marked as a Crab mining outpost. There he encountered hostile, possibly intelligent man-sized insectoids of unknown origin, who had seemingly wiped out the outpost, forcing Dankaro and his men to fortify themselves.
- In the same year a Crab patrol investigating the miners' disappearance found Dankaro and what remained of his men, rescuing him.
- Dankaro returned to the Phoenix Clan in order to research these creatures.
- Although due to the lack of evidence it is impossible to determine precisely, it is believed one of the creatures stowed away aboard the Crab vessel.
- The crab vessel returned to Hida Secundus.
- The danger of these creatures begins to become apparent as they possess some form of infectious mechanism or ability that can cause involuntary transformation of humans into them. The Crab nickname them 'Scrabs', a designation that will be used for in the meantime.
- Hida Secundus is lost.
- The Crab's attempts to recover Hida Secundus prove disastrous as the Scarabs seem intelligent enough to be able to take control of Hida Secundus's fleet, however due to the efforts of Hida Sanro, the infected ships are destroyed and Sanro's fleet regroups elsewhere.
- More recent information regarding Shiba Dankaro's research is in progress and will be updated when appropriate.
ENCRYPTED DATA ENDS. ACCESS HAS BEEN LOGGED AND NOTIFIED.

'Aikune III': An impromptu name given to the third world in the Aikune system. One of the systems that the Phoenix Clan own exclusively. Aikune III like most other planets in the Aikune system are primordial worlds, still be shaped by the raw Elements. Current Phoenix experiments there are attempting to re-engineer these worlds in order to reproduce worlds similar to Rokugan, however currently they are very dangerous.

'The Nest': Mantis Clan world. Consists largely of dense jungle and many exotic animals. Conditions vary in hospitality. Rife with standard Mantis activity, within bounds. The Kitsune family take particular interest in this world, however.

Each world in turn shows similar traits when Kaiu Satoshi was present. Namely each were inhospitable in some respect and consequently had a relatively easy market for the use of robotics, especially the uses of robotics that Kaiu Satoshi's work involved. It stands to reason that his presence was purely opportunistic in nature, perhaps in order to better conceal himself.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

"If I may have access to Satoshi's financial records, I can look for any anomalies. It may be possible that he has outstanding debts of some sort. Something that an unscrupulous individual might use to force him into intentionally introducing these malfunctions. It is also possible that this is a result of base bribery."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

Hanijko quietly searches in her satchel, drawing out a scroll. Sliding her finger across the scroll, she mouths the prayer as a whisper, the kanji flaring with an brief light as she speaks them. Her eyes flare with a bright spark that quickly fades as she looks up, returning the scroll offhandedly.

It would be an understatement to say she looks more thoughtful.

Rolling Fire Kami's Blessing with one raise for duration: 22 against TN 15 for +3k0 to Intelligence-based High and Merchant skills for 90 minutes.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Everyone

Nazo's hologram imperceptibly nods towards Ikoma Masaru before turning to face Misaki. "Very well. Although, as expected he severed any use of conventional visible financial activity when he escaped justice the first time." he says, and Misaki's device buzzes with more data streaming to it.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Iuchi Hino

Hino curses quietly, as ruby-studded red tape stands to get in her way. She feels that something can be found in both the central computing and especially Satoshi's wife. Family, after all, can be a powerful motivation to do terrible things.

She makes sure that the relevant information goes to her once the delays are clear, but she gets the feeling that's she'll need to approach this in other, less scrupulous ways.

"Kitsuki-san is right, we should visit the crime scene soon." She looks at the hologram. "Certainly, we don't want to keep the Champion overly occupied when he has already tasked us to find answers."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 16, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ikoma Masaru

"Yes. Don't worry, master,", he says to the hologram of Nazo. "We'll uncover the truth behind the murder, and bring Satoshi to justice." Visiting the crime scene, having someone check the dead body, tracking down any information on both Satoshi and the victim; there was a lot to do. There was something about the beginning of an investigation that always excited him. He was never a hunter, never really was interested in killing wild animals, but he thought that what he felt at the beginning of a case was akin to what a hunter felt...the prey was out there, and it fell to him to corner it and bring it down.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Shosuko

"No sense in the lot of us going to the same lead. If there's anything to be found in that alley, we don't want to run the risk of one of us stomping on a vital lead and destroying it. Meanwhile, no way is Satoshi unaware that he's being hunted--one or more of us should start looking for him. The easiest way for us to get him is going to be going for his likely avenues of escape. It shouldn't be too hard to find out who could provide him with falsified travel documents and a new identity, and from there we can start shaking them down for information." She grins. "I'm always up for that, anyone else want to come? Oh, also I'm assuming that his description and likeness have already been provided to the oh-so-efficient port security..."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

"I will investigate the crime scene and the body. It is, after all, my expertise."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Iuchi Hino

Hino shrugs at Shosuko. "I'm pretty good at stomping around and shaking people down, sure. I'll go with you."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

"With respect, Kitsuki-san, I would accompany you. My knowledge of firearms and ballistics may be of use."

She found the idea of staring at a corpse more appealing then talking to people, anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"I have studied anatomy and medicine, I might be able to provide a second opinion on matters regarding our fallen ronin.", Hanjiko explains, folding her arms into her sleeves. "I will be accompanying Kitsuki-san and Oroku-san, if it pleases them." She bows to the pair, before rising with her slightly inappropriate smile.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ikoma Masaru

"Then while you investigate the body and scene, Magistrate Hanjiko, I'll join the search for Satoshi. By approaching this from both angles, we'll no doubt get more done."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Everyone

With that, Nazo's hologram nods once more and turns to you all. "Very well then. In order to maintain secure communications it is imperative for you to be relatively independent. If the nature or scale of this assignment becomes evident to be something unforeseen in magnitude then you should contact me post-haste, assuming that the very act would not jeopardise your assignment. Other than that I should expect contact to be minimal until you have reached a conclusion with regards to this. This safehouse is to be disabled once you leave, in order to maintain security. If I require to contact you more directly or securely, or vice versa then you will be assigned another in the area. May the fortunes smile upon you." said Nazo before his hologram flickered out, the holoprojector moving about before resetting into a disc on the floor. The lights dim as you get the distinct feeling that you should probably leave.

As you are leaving the various doors and systems close behind you and darken, when you leave the main doors they shut and lock dramatically (yet quietly), leaving you standing out in the rain, the overhang around this building providing some cover.

You stand together, without the hologram of Nazo watching you. The rain hisses down from the skies, the gloom of this place is almost palpable. In the distance you see traffic pass in the streets.

Do you have anything to discuss before you split up as agreed?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"We should have a place to meet afterwards." Hanjiko searches on her device for a moment. "The Tori Ryokan seems agreeable, we can get a private room and relax and discuss the events of the day afterwards, when we're done?" She clicks her device off, sliding it away, before bowing to those going to investigate with words. "Fortunes be with you.", she says, before rising and looking to those she's travelling with. "Shall we?... perhaps a visit to a shop, for an umbrella.", she adds, sighing a little at the rain.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

Misaki unfolded an umbrella of her own; modeled after the oil-paper umbrellas from days past. The Spider was apparently deliberately cultivating an anachronistic style of speech and dress. She followed Hanjiko's lead, bowing to the other group. She did not offer well wishes, however. Few individuals were keen to receive the blessing of the Dark Fortunes.

"Of course, Asako-san." She favored the Phoenix with a soft smile. "Do you and the honorable Kitsuki have transportation? I regret that my own cannot accommodate more than myself."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko shakes her head she gets her own - more modern - umbrella out.

"I do not. I find cabs are easy enough for samurai to get. And it's worth the look on their face when they find my assistant will be sitting in the vehicle as well. Besides, I have made some enemies on this planet; randomizing transportation is another way to stay safe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ikoma Masaru

The Lion have a reputation for anachronism, but Masaru has never let that get in the way of his personal comfort. So, he turns the dial on his RainBuddy, and he's bathed in a faint golden light. An early attempt at forcefield technology, the device that became the RainBuddy was quickly abandoned as viable, the forcefield it generated not strong enough to shield against anything of consequence. It was strong enough to keep the rain off of you, however.

"The three of you be careful", Masaru says, carefully ignoring Tsuriko's reference to her "assistant". "I wouldn't put it past Satoshi to keep an eye on the scene, if not directly, then with a camera or other surveillance, to see who's investigating."

• Locked thread