Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Safehouse Ra-1, Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Everyone]

Hino and Shosuko read their respective letters and bow out almost immediately, leaving you alone. Wherever they have gone you do not know, and you are urged not to want to know.

As standard procedure would dictate, the use of the safehouse should be minimised and after you bring each other up to speed on what you encountered in each of your separations you it is decided that you should leave the place. After tea, of course.

The dark, wet streets beckon you once more - the dim neon lighting in the distance casting murky shadows over the alleyway. The pitter-patter of the 'rain' once more greets you, like soft whispers on the edge of hearing, murmuring the sins that have been witnessed in this city.

Behind you the safe house reflexively locks up as you leave it.

Where do you go now? What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"As I recall, the Scorpion tend to be dedicated to remembering the great threats to Rokugan, and guarding them well. Their dedication and loyalty bring them honor." IF there's a double meaning there, Masaru shows no hints. "Embarrassment or no, there is someone in this city - aside from whoever is foolish enough to resurrect these powers - who knows about the kage yakiin. Finding one automaton out of a planet could be difficult. Perhaps we can learn more about the group it's targeting."

The Lying Darkness... the Lion's Shadow weren't easily frightened, but they knew well enough to fear the Darkness. And, at times, to be tempted by its power. Masaru felt a chill. They had never followed the Scorpion's failures, but they all knew that the Lion's Shadow could be twisted the same way.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 13, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

"Hunt down these Tanken for answers? One likes the sound of that." She still maintained her soft-spoken tone, but the ice behind it was readily apparent.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"Well, if I were you, I would start with the tattoo artists, then. If you honorable samurai would like, I will take a look at the destroyed robot we talked about. Or not, I am at your command, after all."

Hamzah grins. It's no skin off his nose if they feel like not making him work very hard.

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
Uesugi

"I agree with him," he says, pointing to Masaru, "it'll be easier to find the kage yakiin than any one man or robot. Especially if they have a habit of marking themselves out for us, haha!"

"Now if I were such an unscrupulous individual, where would I hide? Any ideas? There's probably plenty of parts in this city where a tattoo would go unremarked..."

AusteriDad fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 12, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
An Alleyway, Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Everyone]

You quietly discuss things in the shadows of an alleyway, the eternal pouring of the 'rain' adding soft white noise to the conversation.

The soft, quiet nature of this discussion is suddenly interrupted by Masaru's communication device going off.

It is an invitation to attend a party being held by Soshi Kazuhiro at his manor in the Upper City, for you plus "several others". Shockingly the event is to take place in one hour.

How do you respond?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Or maybe they'll just open their doors to us. Soshi Kazuhiro has some connection to our quarry, although I'm afraid we don't know what. It would be quite impolite not to attend, of course. It seems that fate smiles on us."

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
Uesugi

"I think it'd be a good idea to show up, even if it ends up being... an unfriendly atmosphere. He sounds like about the only lead we've got here, best to get all over that."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Asako Hanjiko

Hanjiko folds her arms. The fire is gone from her mind for now, but that doesn't mean she's dulled in any sense. "Those that use that tattoos will likely have them hidden. But looking into the otokodate would likely be fruitful! It is likely the tattoo artist is not the kind to open a store, but... it's possible?"

"I would like to try and examine the automaton in the meantime. Maybe I could extract some useful data... or... the tracking device...", she says, as if sounding uncertain, but those who have been working with her might recognize the uncertain tone is likely more humility than lack of confidence.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Masaru turns to Hanjiko. "We don't have time for doubt. I have confidence in your abilities, but act quickly."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"This is an excellent idea, honored lady. I will come and help you."

Hamzah grins.

"Unless you folks prefer to take me to your party. I do love a party!"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Outside the Soshi Kazuhiro Residence, Upper City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Ikoma Masaru, Kitsuki Tsuriko, Oroko Misaki, Tsuruchi Uesugi]

You make your preparations swiftly, making yourselves more presentable for such a formal occasion in an appropriate chamber adjacent to one of the elevators that lead up to the Upper City - traditionally designed for servants who work up there, but samurai are of course not forbidden - or even frowned upon using these rather well-maintained facilities.

The travel up the elevator is brisk and quick, your passes letting you through with no issues as you ascend the celestial lift, the neon lights in darkness giving way to dark metals in turn giving way to the golden brilliance of the Upper City. By now the sun has begun to set but that merely changes the accents of this glorious place, rather than making it seem gloomier.

A golden monorail shaped almost like a travelling temple ushers you quickly to near the address that is supplied, your passes giving you full access to such amenities as the comfortable and well air conditioned cabins of the monorail, affording you one to your selves as you gaze out of the window and see the golden city pass you by.

Stepping a fairly short distance by foot across footbridges that pass over paths, and stepping across plazas you find yourselves in front of the rather grand estate of Soshi Kazuhiro.

People have already begun to gather here and there, some smoothing themselves out in preparation for entering such a place, while mysterious drones buzz about above - their purpose unknown. Large steps lead up to the front gateway of the estate, and various guests are either making their way towards the gates or are waiting outside - either for other guests to arrive with them or perhaps to make an appropriately-timed appearance.

You climb the large stairs purposefully, not wanting to seem to be in a hurry or to otherwise disturb your carefully considered appearance (presumably). The incense burners that flank the steps seem to mimic a religious function, though what this implies is left unsaid.

Ahead a pair of rather ceremoniously-dressed bushi stand at the entrance, seemingly proud of their duty in assisting such an esteemed personage as Soshi Kazuhiro, and with them a golden drone draped in silks spins about as it turns its myriad eyes towards anyone approaching the large gates to the estate.

They have not noticed you yet, or perhaps they have but are not wanting to seem forward before you have approached the gates themselves.

How do you proceed?

A Workshop, Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Asako Hanjiko, Hamzah ibn Wasim]

Having previously found access to a relatively inconspicuous workshop in the Lower City thanks to your Magistrate connections, the remains of the robot that seemingly slew Daisatsu awaits you.

The cool air regulated throughout the workshop and the dim hum given off by the miscellaneous equipment scattered around this place makes it seem sterile and unwelcoming. It is just as well such considerations are not made for workshops, at least not ones that are meant for visiting.

Tools are laid out around the chamber, scattered around with seemingly no rhyme or reason, awaiting your touch.

How do you proceed?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Masaru turns to his companions: "Eyes open, mouths closed. I know you know the way. Enjoy the party: it's important we be seen as taking advantage of its decadence. Be seen drinking more than you truly do."

Masaru presents his credentials and passes through with confidence.

OOC: Do we have a gift to present to our host?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

As Misaki walked with her companions, she imagined this grand estate set ablaze. The nobles and other guests running past her screaming as the flames consumed them. The two guards collapsing, drowning in their own blood as she sheathed her blade. Ah, if only she had been born in another age where that would be permissible. And not a Magistrate, of course.

She inclined her head slightly at the Ikoma. "One hears." The soft smile she wore was genuine now, still warmed by thoughts of unrestrained violence.

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
Uesugi

Uesugi whispers to the group, "Along with what Masaru said, they'd have to be idiots to try something with all these people here. It shouldn't be hard to party our way to some information."

He smiles at the gate guard, presents id, and swaggers on through the door.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

Hamzah rubs his hands together, grinning.

"Well, this will be fun."

He busies himself setting up wiring and monitors, then gets to work with his part of the analysis. Finding where the robot was receiving orders from might be difficult, but he's pretty sure he can do it.

"So, you are Asako Hanjiko, yes? Er, Hanjiko-san. I always forget that." Keeping track of which is the first and last name is hard. "What brings you to the Magistrate's service? For me, well, I enjoy the challenges..." But that's clearly not all there was to it, given what and who he is. "Though I have to say, I'm sorry we had to miss the party! They're always such fun, though I have to admit, I'd probably make everyone angry. It's for the best, really...anyway, I realize I'm probably strange, so feel free to ask me anything."

He shrugs.

"If I don't feel like answering, I'll at least tell you an entertaining lie."

Computer Use: [20:09] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 15 = 5k3(2,6,2,3,6)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Sorry for the delay. Been a weird week. Weddings and birthdays. Credit card stolen. Someone died. You know how it goes.

Tsuriko mostly ignores that Hamzah is gaijin. She's got a job to do. If he can help it get done, more the better.

Also Mei will have been left with Asako and The Gaijin

The Kitsuki has somewhat uncharacteristically put away her foul smelling pipe and is talking quietly as they ascend.

"That's what I am best at. You are Ikoma; you should do most of the talking, where it is polite for us to remain quiet. I should warn you. I've been at this planet longer then the rest of you and not all Scorpion will be happy to see me. Beyond that, I am Kitsuki. The Scorpion would never break face and comment on me directly. But if you are associated with me, I cannot vouch much for your high class social life in days to come."

Tsuriko shows her own ID and walks in without any swagger at all.

OoC: I'm all for skipping the whole gifting thing if none of us can think of something cool and just going YEP WE WERE POLITE

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"I just don't particularly like lies. Or tricks.", Hanjiko says with a polite tone, but it's a clear refutation of that last comment. "I'd like to be a judge one day, but I'm too young for that right now, don't you agree?", she says with a smile, and then turns away for a moment as she raises her scroll, tapping it open before speaking her prayer.

Fire Kami's Blessing with one raise for extra duration - and 29 is successful.

Rolling her scroll up with that's almost an audible whirring, she turns back, her eyes alight with wisdom. "Well then, let's have a look at you..." She narrows her eyes. Her first goal will be to try and extract its means for detecting the shadow. The second goal is to try and isolate and remove any storage medium it had for knowledge, of course. Third goal is up in the air, but likely she'll be trying to trace its manufacture.

So, she starts in with the tools. Crystal technology is delicate, and this will be slow-going, but she's mindful of the time they have. "And how do you find yourself in the Emerald Magistrates? Were you a yoriki first...?" It seems a likely answer for one with no seeming clan or family.

Rolling Intelligence / Engineering and spending a Void Point, since it's unskilled, and the result is 31.
Spells / Void Remaining: 3 Air Spells, 1 Earth Spell, 1 Fire Spell, 2 Water Spells, 2 Void Spells, 1 Void Point.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

The Soshi Kazuhiro Residence, Upper City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Ikoma Masaru, Kitsuki Tsuriko, Oroko Misaki, Tsuruchi Uesugi]

The guards allow you access as their companion drone floats around, checking all ID as you pass.

You enter a grandiose hall, with people milling around here and there, some in small groups, others on their own. Attention is suddenly shifted towards you as you notice a large elegant-appearing hologram of a floating mask, which nods towards you and makes an announcement "May I introduce..." it says, mentioning each of your names in turn (starting with Ikoma Masaru, first), its voice refined and clipped, perfect for the situation - though with a slight metallic aftertone, as though to remind you of its artificial nature. There is a stir when Kitsuki Tsuriko is mentioned, however.

With this, a tall, elegantly-dressed Scorpion man walks towards you, his bearing and dress (and the way miscellaneous drones in the room seem to be shifting the ambience to focus on him personally) indicates just who this man is.

"I welcome my most esteemed guests to my humble abode." he announces, bowing an appropriate amount given his station and yours, miscellaneous partygoers scrutinise the interaction carefully.

How do you respond?

A Workshop, Lower City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Asako Hanjiko, Hamzah ibn Wasim]

You begin your analyses of the fallen robot, its crumpled form lying unmoving on the slab as you do so.

Hamzah switches on various systems in preparation for what is to come, making sure all appropriate equipment is easy to reach, ready, and primed.

Hanjiko's expertise (and burning inspiration) allows her to disassemble specific components without interfering with Hamzah's analysis-to-be - being careful to avoid damaging any areas necessary for such a procedure.

Firstly she carefully searches the remains and finds a (still intact) crystalline array - shaped vaguely like a dodecahedron, highly polished, and with a slightly bluish tone, although carefully held with the appropriate tools and placed upon an appropriate tray, Hanjiko can feel a slight chill coming from it.

Next, the permanent data storage systems are extracted, relatively non-unique but robust - obviously well-crafted.

Hamzah to set up the appropriate connections to the robot's systems to interface with the computers. Although its data storage is encrypted it is not a particularly difficult encryption - and seems indicative that whoever encrypted this component was not the original manufacturer.

Checking through the data logs on transmission you find.... nothing. Nothing that fits with the timestamp of the murder, at least. It had not received any direct external commands during that period, or for a significant period leading up to that point.

If it was given a remote command the only answer that would make sense would be a possible preprogrammed response to a situation. Unless, of course, something else is afoot here.

Roll Investigation/Perception.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"Ah, you Rokugani. So uptight about lies! It's only bad if you don't know it's a lie! If you know, we call it a story. Very big at home. But for this...ah, you would find out anyway if you decided to ask a superior. I wasn't really given a choice about joining the Magistrates. I...don't know that word, yoriki? At least it is not coming to mind. No, I was a, ah...a smuggler. Good work, really, but I wasn't one of your officially unofficial ones, out on the borders. In the Nebula, you see, people like me, we are hunted down. If we do not give our lives and hearts to the Immortal Caliph, we are dead. And I mean that literally. So, you know, it seemed like a decent career, getting myself into Rokugani space."

Hamzah shrugs.

"A few little talents of mine - I'm an excellent forger, for example - came to the Magistrate's notice. I was given a choice. I could choose to, of my own free will, show my newfound patriotic fervor and put my talents to good use for the glory of the Empire...or I could choose to, of my own free will, learn what a criminal burial looks like from the inside. So I made the prudent decision, yes?"

He squints at his readouts.

"That's...odd. There's nothing here. No transmission. That shouldn't be possible."

He waves a display away, turning on the robot, and begins going over it with a more careful eye.

"There's something here we aren't seeing..."

[19:58] <+Morphball> MorsRattus: 47 = 6k3(8,[10,6],6,[10,8],2,[10,3])

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

Misaki bowed in return.

"Soshi-dono. We are honored by your hospitality." Her voice and body language seemed proper enough, but the arrogant look in her eyes as she straightened was unlikely to be lost on those watching.

Etiquette (untrained): [18:29] <+Morphball> Shardix: 13 = 2k2u(5,8)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"Yoriki are deputies. One of the few means for a ronin or commoner to shift into the role of magistrate, of course!", Hanjiko answers cheerfully. "All very backward, you understand, there is a movement to have a more meritorious legal system, but even after thousands of years, samurai are not eager to be prosecuted by the common." A controversial opinion, but she doesn't seem to be short on opinions in general. She eyes the crystal, and her tone is rather casual for a Rokugani, despite the subject matter. "It's not about being a Rokugani. It's about the importance of finding the truth, wherever it hides."

Moving to eye the crystal, she ponders its odd properties, seeing if anything comes to mind from her deep memories.

Rolling Lore: Sagery for a total of 19

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"Ah. A useful word! I'm surprised to hear that from you, though. At home...well. At home, in theory we have a system of merit. None of your castes. Everyone as equal as their wits and will can make them. But we have the Immortal Caliph and her khadi...ah, well, it'd be fine if they weren't around, but...they've been around for longer than anyone can remember."

Hamzah shrugs.

"I appreciate finding the truth. But I think you will find that the truth needs a bodyguard of lies sometimes. A story to keep others happy, until you can find the truth you need. That's where I come in. Well, that and my magic. But it's lies that kept me alive when I might have died, back home, not magic."

He pauses.

"...still, I'll not lie to you. You've not once called me gaijin yet, and you haven't looked at me like I'm some kind of bug. That's...well, I appreciate it. Not many Rokugani I've dealt with have done that." Pause again. "Though I should warn you: if you aren't comfortable with me lying, you won't like being around me. I've found that people reveal the truth easier when they think I'm some kind of idiot gaijin who can only barely speak your language."

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
Uesugi

"Thank you for having us," Uesugi says, bowing, then remaining silent. Best to keep quiet and see how this man acts, rather than take another step in unknown territory.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko gives her thanks, bows low, but is otherwise entirely silent - speaking just enough to be "polite," and not nearly enough to give away anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

"Lord Kazuhiro, a true pleasure. I fear whatever gift we bring you could never be truly adequate. What can we bring that cannot be found in this fine city? I have seen many estates in my time in the Magistry, and this stands among the most beautiful. And I am sure the sake will be even more so!"

Masaru laughs, the loud clear laugh of the exuberant Lion braggart.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

The Soshi Kazuhiro Residence, Upper City, City of the Splintered Oar, World of Dreams [Ikoma Masaru, Kitsuki Tsuriko, Oroko Misaki, Tsuruchi Uesugi]

The sheer complexity of this scene in fact caused a slight bit of lag before the tags appeared. Or at least that's the most likely explanation.

Tags: Soshi Kazuhiro posted:

Dragon Clan: Has many minions/Who to trust and who to not/Perhaps none or all.
Mantis Clan: Has trade contacts that could be useful for movement of certain goods. Additionally has a (secret) grand yacht called The Hinode that is useful.
Lion Clan: Is up to no good! Deigns to interfere with both commoners and... unmentionables. Presumably for illicit purposes!
Lion's Shadow: Has the most complete network of informants in the Lower City and Undercity, but some informants are more... flexible.
Spider Clan: His more flexible interpretation of Bushido means he shows promise. May be open to deals that other Scorpions would think twice about.

He bows appropriately in turn at each of your statements, not allowing even the flicker of emotion to cross his face and betray any inner intent. His yojimbo appears from nowhere, (or perhaps was there the entire time), keeping a close eye on proceedings.

Tags: Bayushi Muneate posted:

Dragon Clan: How far would you go/To guard what you treasure most/Honour would be nothing.
Mantis Clan: Rumours speak of his demands for... nanopoisons.
Lion Clan: He is commendable for his duty to his master, perhaps even... too much.
Lion's Shadow: Although there is no direct evidence there has been some suggestion to indicate his involvement in supposedly serendipitous events for Soshi Kazuhiro
Spider Clan: Fights in a manner befitting the best, but his sworn duty keeps him from attaining true greatness. At least, for the moment...

"The honour is all mine to have such an important guests within my residence. I am sure you have much to discuss, but alas I have even more guests to attend to - however later on we can have a more... private meeting, I am sure." he announces, his voice lowering somewhat as he discusses more... particular matters. His yojimbo's curiosity seems sated, as the mask hologram begins announcing another set of guests, this time a pair of burly Unicorns, dressed as outrageously as the Unicorn tend to do, creating a stir.

And with that, you walk further in and are left to your own devices, for the moment.

The premises are rather large and you are generally given free reign - within the more public areas. No-one immediately rushes up to meet you, but you get the feeling that will probably happen sooner or later. Perhaps with less rushing involved, but still.

What do you do?

Hamzah: As you regard this scene, your keen attention to detail picks up something disquieting. There is a faint but unmistakable feeling of... something that you have never directly felt the presence of before but now you realise it, it cannot be mistaken for anything else. Khayel. The crystal that Hanjiko so helpfully extracted has the memory of an echo of the presence of Sayel within it, an aftershock of having once been directly touched by such a fell thing.

Hanjiko: Nothing immediately comes to mind regarding the crystal, or at least nothing especially helpful. Historically Crystal is used to fight the Nothing/the Shadow Dragon, and may well be sensitive to whatever energies the Nothing relies upon. It might in fact be possibly overly sensitive if applied appropriately. But such ideas are purely conjecture as such research has not been performed, or at least none that you are aware of, it would be very frowned upon if it was the case...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"...huh. That's not good."

Hamzah shakes his head.

"Khayel. It is - what do you call it? The..." He pauses, hunting for the word. "The Nothing. I can feel it within the crystal. It was once touched directly by Khayel. The crystal remembers."

Crystal, he knows, is the weapon of an ancient race - the Ashalan. But this is not theirs at all.

"It's faint, but there could be nothing else it is."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Masaru had lied when he told his companions that they should be "seen to drink." Whatever they would find wouldn't be at some idiot party. But Masaru could hear his ancestors calling to him. The Ikoma were known, of course, as drunks and braggarts. A reputation that Masaru was happy to keep up - it made his job easier.

But that didn't meant he wasn't a drunk and a braggart.

Masaru seeks out the sake. He hopes his companions will have the sense to keep their eyes open and mouths shut. Meanwhile, he'll be the life of the party. Sometimes casting the Lion's Shadow means standing in the light.

Despite appearing drunk (and, okay, actually being a little drunk), I want to ensure that Masaru gets more information than he passes on, and those around him get drunker than he does. So... some combination of Stealth and Courtier?

I'm also using my daily school ability on Kazuhiro. This gives me +1k0 on all contested rolls against him.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

Misaki bowed again as Kazuhiro dismissed them. She mingled briefly with the party attendees, bowing and smiling when appropriate until she found herself in a relatively quiet part of the hall. Much better. Too many people in close proximity made her uncomfortable, and not having a weapon at her side only exacerbated the matter. In any case she seriously doubted anyone was all that keen to speak with her, so with luck she would not be missed. Instead she could focus on watching and learning.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

"I don't really agree.", replies Hanjiko. "A lie, once told, dilutes truth. However..." She's quiet for a moment as she regards the crystal. "... sometimes the truth does need the correct timing to be understood." Picking up the crystal with a small pair of tongs, she squints at it. "We may need to keep quiet about the crystal's history for a short time, at least until the reasons become clear. Is our suspect directly involved with the shadows? Opposed to it? Or both?"

With that, she starts to disassemble parts of the automation's sensor system... and tries to reconstruct them, precisely remembering and reassembling the shadow-detection system. "It might cause too much doubt if the full details of this device's workings are revealed at this time, and knowing how he tracks his targets is pretty valuable, right?" She looks thoughtful. "We just have to careful about the possibility that it might lie." She smiles knowingly, but enigmatically. "But I have a little something-something that might help confirm things in the worst case scenario, too."

Spending a Void and rolling untrained Intelligence / Engineering with a 35.
Spells / Void Remaining: 3 Air Spells, 1 Earth Spell, 1 Fire Spell, 2 Water Spells, 2 Void Spells, 0 Void Points.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 9, 2014

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
Uesugi

Uesugi takes in his surroundings. Lots of people, lots of security, an upcoming private meeting with a man of dubious helpfulness, and...a fully stocked bar. Well, he was told to take advantage of the situation, no?

"Bartender, get me some sake! In fact, make it two!"

As he settles in with the first(and second) of many drinks, Uesugi tries to mingle with those around him, and listen to any conversations that might float over here...

Uesugi, being a horrible drunk, fails to resist his compulsion (http://orokos.com/roll/227719), and rolls 15 on an untrained Etiquette check. (http://orokos.com/roll/227720)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko vacates to a smoke-friendly section (ideally one where she can still watch the court proceedings), lights her pipe, and begins scaring off anyone else there with her favored foul smelling tobacco.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Masaru goes off and makes himself the centre of attention, chatting idly with various courtiers and other party-goers who are in attendance.

Masaru: Make a Sincerity(Deceit)/Awareness roll to see how far you get and what you learn while pretending to be drunker than you.

Misaki ends up off on her own eventually, after making enough small-talk not to seem off, and to get a better view of the party, or at least the main hall. There are myriad chambers that go off into the depths of the house, some are passively guarded and seemingly private - others not so much.

Misaki: Make an Investigation/Perception roll to see what you perceive and what it implies.

Uesugi, despite having had a few sakes already has seemingly struck that zone where everything is just so much easier, and has benefited from it. In fact, you manage to blend in long enough, floating along the sides of various conversations for a while. Many are purely facile smalltalk, however there is a recurring theme of people discussing battles or their personal skill in combat, although it would not seem to be the theme of the event, it seems that there are a significant number of samurai here who have life experiences that gravitate towards deeds of that nature.

However, you don't get a chance to ponder this before you are approached by someone. Someone from your clan, in fact.

Tags: Kitsune Rei posted:

Mantis Clan: Well-travelled bounty huntress!

(Intraclan tags don't tend to be that useful.)

"Greetings, clan-brother... an interesting party, no?" she inquires, a smirk crossing her features, briefly.

Tsuriko, you manage to sequester yourself in a balcony upstairs that cleverly overlooks the events, also giving you a view of the outside world should you be so inclined. Originally there were a pair of Scorpions here, discussing things quietly but they were soon driven off by your demeanour and your habit. You start to get a chance to look at things occur, the people mill around here and there, and outside the foot traffic slowly continues inwards - each guest being introduced and greeted in turn.

Tsuriko: Roll Investigation/Perception to tell what you see and learn about these events from your 'private booth'.

Hanjiko carefully disassembles and reassembles the sensory systems of the automaton, taking care to note how each and every component interacts with each and every component within the sensory systems, as well as the pathways that go into and out of the sensory systems in order to determine where and how they interact with the rest of the automaton, coming to an interesting notion.

It seems that... for some reason, the sensory systems are advanced, but entirely unrelated to the crystal present in the automaton, although it might not have seemed that way at first, Hanjiko's suspicions are confirmed and the crystal present is merely an aside and is totally unrelated to the sensory systems, not being used to detect the Shadow at all whatsoever.

Puzzlingly enough, the crystal seemed more involved with the control systems, and moreover, seemed suborned atop the AI, inexplicably giving it a position within the system that would allow it to act as a secondary (or perhaps even primary, and the AI being secondary) command input and data processing unit. However, the crystal has no signs of any computational power, it lacks any inner structure that would make it capable of such, even amongst the more advanced crystalline computing systems (which are admittedly rare).

What this implies is... hard to grasp. Either this is a wholly advanced crystalline computer that seemingly lacks any capability of performing as such and is therefore incredibly advanced, or... you're not sure.

The afterechoes of shadow, found lingering amidst the crystal might imply something.... unsettling. Possibly that this component allowed either through use of Tejina, or perhaps even... the Shadow Dragon itself... remote control of the automaton.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Misaki

During her training to become a magistrate, there had been an emphasis on truly seeing things. Not as they appeared, but as they truly were. Not unlike the Kitsuki, though even in this age it was not always politic to make a direct comparison. Misaki had never really impressed her sensei in this regard, though not for lack of trying. She was just by a nature more literal minded than most. Nevertheless she casually let her eyes float around the environs, doing her best to not actively think about it. Simply letting her subconcious mind draw its own conclusions.

Perception/Investigate, with a void point: [19:35] <Morphball> Shardix: 18 = 4k3(5,3,8,5)

0 void remaining for today.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Kitsuki Tsuriko

Tsuriko did not survive as long as she did by being inattentive. There are patterns everywhere that other people tend to miss. And patterns matter.

Investigation: 6d10o10k3+5 37

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Asako Hanjiko

Reassembling parts of its system, Hanjiko pauses, looking a little surprised. "Wait, waitwaitwait-" She leans back, halting her work as she presses her fingers against her cheek in thought. "- I had presumed it had been used to sense the Shadow through its resonant properties, but it isn't a sensor... it's a receiver to let another manipulate it." She hms, putting her hand to her hip. "And is that why they threw you in the compactor, isn't it! That would certainly destroy this evidence... but does that mean our perp has been co-opted? Something like this... the traditional means of defense against the Shadow would be taken off guard. It would not show the traditional signs of influence, but would remain under full control..."

Her eyes glance up Hamzah, and she makes a troubled expression for a moment before taking on that Rokugani mask of calm that actually looks a bit odd on her. "The others have to be made aware."

AusteriDad
Jan 19, 2011

FDR
SAVIOR
OF
CAPITALISM
Uesugi

"It most certainly is, haha! So many people, so many faces, so much talk of old battles! The past apparently lives on in this very building," Uesugi flourishes with another sip of sake. His face darkens slightly: "Of course, if you don't mind, why are you here? You don't look the partying type to me."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ikoma Masaru

Sincerity/Awareness 6k4: 30 (10, 4, 4, 3, 9 on the exploding 10).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hamzah

"A receiver - you mean for Sayel? The Nothing or one of its servants was controlling the machine that way? That's...hm. That's definitely important, I agree." Hamzah nods. "Better if you tell them and take the credit. I don't think they like me very much."

• Locked thread